Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 19 versus 21 inch front wheel?  (Read 24922 times)

White Lite

19 versus 21 inch front wheel?
« on: September 12, 2012, 10:28:24 PM »

??? Asking those who have the 21 inch wheel and progressive mono tube set up on the front on their touring bike...If able to start over, would you stay with 21 inch or opt for the 19 inch? I'm looking at upgrading my 2012 Street Glide and just want to get some solid info from thosew that have gone down this road already. Thanks in advance for your help guys..and gals too!
2012 Street Glide in Tequila Orange

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
Re: 19 versus 21 inch front wheel?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 10:39:30 PM »

Got a 21 on my SECU and am really happy. Rides smother than the stock front and was an easy fit with the stock fender. Now fender looks full!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 11:04:54 PM »

Got a 21 on my SECU and am really happy. Rides smother than the stock front and was an easy fit with the stock fender. Now fender looks full!!
:worthless: :worthless: :worthless: :worthless:

HogPro

• Vendor
    • HogPro Wheels
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 06:08:22 PM »

I'll stick with a 21" wheel every time.  I will also choose a different route than the mono tubes.  We had them in one of our shop bikes and did not like the ride.  We switched out to fProgressive springs and it rides much better in our humble opinion.  Yesterday we did an install with the Ricor intiminators as well as the Progressive springs and the bike rode fantastic.  Just food for thought.  As far as the extra height added by the 21" some people are fine with it and others feel uncomfortable at slow speeds.  It really depends on the rider. 
Drew
HogPro Wheels
(818)886-6545
(877)4HOGPRO

petewerner

• I live to ride, I love to ride, everyday I ride :)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Ride it like U stole it, live life the same way.

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE Sold
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 09:28:25 PM »

I thought so too. I looked closely after I heard rocks rattling around the fender and found little ridges where my 21" Renegade and Avon tire were installed at Sturgis a month ago... now I ran a drill bit thru the fender mounting holes and made them very slightly larger. Now it stopped getting any worse atleast.. Still waiting on the vendor to help me out as we talked about this issue and he told me no problem, never had one before now...
1998 FLSTF with Kerker 2/1, Dyna 2000i single
       Fire Ignition, Chrome swing arm, Garrett Billet Wheels, Too much chrome
       2 list....
2011 FLTRx 103, Stage IV, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, SE 58mm TB, V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Slipons=, Dyno tuned 117HP-111TQ :D Tank lift, drop seat, turning DARK

White Lite

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 06:12:19 PM »

Thanks to all for your posts and PMs.  Several ways to go with either size, and after doing some research-I'm going with the 19 in. First, I don't want to increase the seat height, or give up any comfort in the ride up. Second, I like the look of the 19's profile, just as much as the 21.  The bike is going to be used more for long trips, and I need to focus on function over form in regards to handling.  Last, I'm wanting to put a Fatboy fender with the 19 in wheel profile (I don't care for the look wrap around fenders as all). Anyway, I do appreciate all of the input.
2012 Street Glide in Tequila Orange

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 08:11:43 PM »

I'll stick with a 21" wheel every time.  I will also choose a different route than the mono tubes.  We had them in one of our shop bikes and did not like the ride.  We switched out to fProgressive springs and it rides much better in our humble opinion.  Yesterday we did an install with the Ricor intiminators as well as the Progressive springs and the bike rode fantastic.  Just food for thought.  As far as the extra height added by the 21" some people are fine with it and others feel uncomfortable at slow speeds.  It really depends on the rider. 

What setup do you guys at HogPro recommend with the 21" front wheel?
130 front tire or the Metzler 140?
lowered front end?
12" or 13" rear shocks?

I have found the Intimidators on my seeg to to ride great softening up the ride and yet not let it bottom even with my 4 pad brembo's under extream braking even with the lowered front end. I am thinking about the 21" front wheel but wonder what the change in front end height would do to high speed riding. I am assuming the difference in caster angle would change and that is why all the questions earlier.

jaymedic44

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 CVO limited silver/ autumn

• CVO1: 2009 Cvo ultra
    • CVO2: 2006 cvo ultra
    • CVO3: 2014 CVO limited
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 06:47:57 PM »

Put a 21 on my seuc 5000 miles ago. Love it!
2014 CVO limited silver/autumn
2009 Cvo ULTRA 21 inch Pm wheels legend air ride progressive monotubs Fulsac exhaust
2006 Cvo ULTRA Autum Haze
2005 Heritage Softail World of wheels show bike
2004 Ultra Gold/Black
2003 Road King  Black/Silver
1999 Ultra Blue/Silver
1998 Road king Red/ Gold
1996 springer Custom
1974 Sportster

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 07:02:41 PM »

:worthless: :worthless:

HogPro

• Vendor
    • HogPro Wheels
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 02:04:07 PM »

I'm back answering this questiona gain as I answer this questiona t least 5 times a day on the phone.  Personally I would do a 21" every time.  I ride daily and adapt to changes very quickly.  I think that newer riders who do not ride daily tend to have issues with a 21" wheel as the bike suddenly feels a little bit different.  Baggers are top heavy machines and the larger front wheel is a bigger rolling mass which equates to steering that is a little bit slower than with the stock wheel.  In the end my customers have to make their own decision but most times I get someone who gets a 19 or 18 front they end up wishing that they would avhe gone with the 21.  I had this happen recently and as soon as the customer arrived at the shop for the install he looked at our technicians bike and was drooling at the 21".  I am still waiting for the phone call to order the 21 for him. 

The way a bike handles and rides is extremely subjective and this must always be taken into consideration.  Someone with 20+ years riding is going to handle things differently than someone with a few years of riding experience.  It is similar to asking what do you like on your hamburger or how do you take your women. 
Drew
HogPro Wheels
(818)886-6545
(877)4HOGPRO

HogPro

• Vendor
    • HogPro Wheels
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 06:14:23 PM »

What setup do you guys at HogPro recommend with the 21" front wheel?
130 front tire or the Metzler 140?
lowered front end?
12" or 13" rear shocks?

I have found the Intimidators on my seeg to to ride great softening up the ride and yet not let it bottom even with my 4 pad brembo's under extream braking even with the lowered front end. I am thinking about the 21" front wheel but wonder what the change in front end height would do to high speed riding. I am assuming the difference in caster angle would change and that is why all the questions earlier.

In a 21" I recommend either a 120/70/21 or the new Harley 130/60/21.  Stock width on your tire is a 130 on the front.  The 140 is too wide to fit without raising your front fender which in turn can cause other issues.  I find the 120 tire to be more than sufficient but those who insist on stock width can get the 130. 
Drew
HogPro Wheels
(818)886-6545
(877)4HOGPRO

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 11:34:11 AM »

Just ordered the 130/60B21 part#43100008 from my local Harley dealer and charged it to my credit card. Got home and 2hrs later got a call with them saying this tire does not meet the requirements of my bike...omg. He went on to say the tire had a 63H load rating and my original tire had a 72H rating, that the 130 tire was rated at 200lbs less.... I went on to say well the 21" rim does not meet the requirement either and that you guys have been putting on Avon 120x21 tires with a 62H rating. At this point I thought what is the point, I can order the tire online and get it much cheaper anyway.

So I'm thinking what the heck are the new Dunlop 408's on the CVO RoadGlide and Roadkings rated at....wow. The 408 130/60B19 is a 61H rating (less than I thought)

Now I am really not concerned as I would believe the front end carries hardly any weight compared to the rear even when riding bagged up 2up on a trip....just wanted to point all this out with a lot of guys here looking at options for bigger front wheels.

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 03:35:38 PM »

Now I am really not concerned as I would believe the front end carries hardly any weight compared to the rear even when riding bagged up 2up on a trip....just wanted to point all this out with a lot of guys here looking at options for bigger front wheels.

Until you start braking....
Big Lew
IBA #595

CVO 2015

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2019, 01:25:59 PM »

Went 2 inches up on my 2012 Road Glide Fltru to a 19 inch agitator...Front and rear were lowered an inch..Front always gelt atiff when hitting sharp bumps..89,000 miles and 7 years later, I lightly hit my front brakes, went over a crack in the road, and my front wheel locked up..I will never change the rim and tire size again..lesson learned..

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2019, 02:10:01 PM »

Went 2 inches up on my 2012 Road Glide Fltru to a 19 inch agitator...Front and rear were lowered an inch..Front always gelt atiff when hitting sharp bumps..89,000 miles and 7 years later, I lightly hit my front brakes, went over a crack in the road, and my front wheel locked up..I will never change the rim and tire size again..lesson learned..

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

sorry, but think there is something else going on.  with your 2012, the stock tire size is 130/80-17 and has a overall diameter of 25.2''.  the 'upgraded' agitator uses a 130/60-19 which has a overall diameter of 25.1''.  a little less, but virtually identical.  in fact, with the stock tires, if they are 16'', 17'', 18'' or 19'', the diameter is virtually the same.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 21 queries.