Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: cam change  (Read 7916 times)

bikerboy53

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • OR

• CVO1: Razor Red '07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: Red & Slate '10 FLHTCUSE5
Re: cam change
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 07:27:11 PM »

Workingdan,
I just had a stock lifter failure on my 2010 CVO Ultra yesterday (Sept. 29). It only has 25,000 miles on it. We were out for an easy ride with friends and the motor started making a bunch of racket! Took it right to the dealership and they tore it down. The hard facing on the roller of the front (exhaust) lifter started coming apart. The metal particles took out both camshafts and the oil pump. The crank *looks* OK, but it's hard to tell where all the metal might have gone...

Now I'm debating between a slight upgrade/rebuild, or maybe an SE120R. The rebuild would be less expensive, but the 120 might be more fun -and we tow a trailer a lot. The bike is our main source of recreation, so the BSR says to do whatever I want. Gotta love that girl!  :-* It's easier to make these decisions when she lays down the law.  :P What to do, what to do??
S&S T124
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
VP-016-340 Centrifugal Clutch kit
S&S PowerTune Duals w/Rinehart Touring Mufflers
Garmin Zumo 660
Bushtec Trailer

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 08:02:10 PM »

Bikerboy53,

That is sure would be an easy decision if I had to make it, 120r over a 110 everyday especially when you have her blessing to boot.   Don't wait to long she might change her mind lol.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2012, 04:43:25 AM »

Not to "stir the pot" here, but if I had the same problem I would do a rebuild with my original cases with AFTERMARKET PARTS!!!! You could build a bullet proof and extremely reliable motor. For me in a touring bike it's not about going warp speed. It is a good strong low end TQ motor with a little UMP up top when you need it for passing.

The build would include but not be limited to a set of aftermarket flywheels and rods that were trued,balanced and welded. A timken bearing in the left side of the case. A high flow oil pump and camplate change. From there you pic the cams and the compression and then decide what if any head work you would do. Add some roller rockers and a good set of strong pushrods. Then the only thing left would be TB and injectors. Those you may not want to change if you are looking for milage and TQ numbers.

Good luck with your decision.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 05:27:59 AM »

Not to "stir the pot" here, but if I had the same problem I would do a rebuild with my original cases with AFTERMARKET PARTS!!!! You could build a bullet proof and extremely reliable motor. For me in a touring bike it's not about going warp speed. It is a good strong low end TQ motor with a little UMP up top when you need it for passing.

The build would include but not be limited to a set of aftermarket flywheels and rods that were trued,balanced and welded. A timken bearing in the left side of the case. A high flow oil pump and camplate change. From there you pic the cams and the compression and then decide what if any head work you would do. Add some roller rockers and a good set of strong pushrods. Then the only thing left would be TB and injectors. Those you may not want to change if you are looking for milage and TQ numbers.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

THAT, is some damn good advice right there!!!! :2vrolijk_21:
Scott

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2012, 09:44:46 AM »

Bikerboy53,

That is sure would be an easy decision if I had to make it, 120r over a 110 everyday especially when you have her blessing to boot.   Don't wait to long she might change her mind lol.

:2vrolijk_21:  x2
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Maladjusted

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2012, 01:54:48 PM »

DCFIREMANN has sound advice... if you go with the 120R motor... you still have a pressed crank (point of weakness), HD lifters (point of weakness, as you know), sub-par crank bearings... etc. etc.

Build your 110 motor into a stout, reliable motor.
2010 FLHXSE Spicey Rum
Lots of stuff

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2012, 02:58:12 PM »

DCFIREMANN has sound advice... if you go with the 120R motor... you still have a pressed crank (point of weakness), HD lifters (point of weakness, as you know), sub-par crank bearings... etc. etc.

Build your 110 motor into a stout, reliable motor.

Thank you!!!!

If I am spending the monet I ONLY WANT TO SPEND IT ONCE!!!!! Oh and be happy in the process!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2012, 03:01:38 PM »

One thing I did forget to point out. If you are rebuilding YOU CAN CHOOSE WHAT SIZE MOTOR you are going to build. If you want a 120 you can have it and have it bulletproof!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, 07:01:32 PM »

DCFIREMANN, I also agree with you regarding rebuilding the 110. And I guess it would be great to have a 120, but I mostly take long trips and I was wondering, and maybe I missed it somewhere else, but what kind of mileage does a 120 get with passenger and luggage? Just curious. CAHDBIKER

Be Safe

THE DAWG

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2012, 07:45:16 PM »

DCFIREMANN, I also agree with you regarding rebuilding the 110. And I guess it would be great to have a 120, but I mostly take long trips and I was wondering, and maybe I missed it somewhere else, but what kind of mileage does a 120 get with passenger and luggage? Just curious. CAHDBIKER

Of course, mileage has a lot to do with the tune, cams and exhaust...  We did over 5000 miles on a trip in July, mostly in Colorado, Utah and Wyoming, and averaged over 40 mpg.  A high of 52 mpg and a low of 36 mpg.  Riding two up and pulling a Bushtec...  I'm over 15k miles on my 120r with no reliability issues of any kind...   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2012, 09:51:46 PM »

Of course, mileage has a lot to do with the tune, cams and exhaust...  We did over 5000 miles on a trip in July, mostly in Colorado, Utah and Wyoming, and averaged over 40 mpg.  A high of 52 mpg and a low of 36 mpg.  Riding two up and pulling a Bushtec...  I'm over 15k miles on my 120r with no reliability issues of any kind...   :2vrolijk_21:

For a factory HD motor you are a little shy of the "BREAKING POINT" I wouldn't waste my money or time on a 120r. I know that is just my opinion. But I have been around HD for a long time and have played with a lot of motors in my time. Oh and do a lot of my own work. In Maryland (not sure about other states) YOU MUST have your CO for that motor or you may lose your bike to the Officier of the Law. Sure you will get it back but it is just something I don't want to go through. You have a set of cases on your bike that match your VIN, so why not build anything you like from the ground up?

When you buy a 120r you are restricted by what the MOTHER COMPANY wants you to buy. You are restricted by a lower end that is JUNK. It is JUNK because they save tens of thousands of dollars each year on building the motors. In the old days (pre 2003) the flywheels were bolted together and trued before they left the factory BY HAND. They were a lot stronger back then. Now they are pressed by a computer controlled press. In the past any runout past 004 was considered out of true. Now I'm not even sure what it is. But I know it a hell of a lot more runout. And when you have something spinning around on a set of bearings and it is not spinning square you have a time bomb in the making!! And speaking of bearings. In 2003 HD did away with the left side timken bearing setup. You lost a lot of strength when they did that. Just another cost saving mistake. 

It's your money and your down time oh and your vibration and excessive engine noise.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2012, 11:12:01 PM »

For a factory HD motor you are a little shy of the "BREAKING POINT" I wouldn't waste my money or time on a 120r. I know that is just my opinion. But I have been around HD for a long time and have played with a lot of motors in my time. Oh and do a lot of my own work. In Maryland (not sure about other states) YOU MUST have your CO for that motor or you may lose your bike to the Officier of the Law. Sure you will get it back but it is just something I don't want to go through. You have a set of cases on your bike that match your VIN, so why not build anything you like from the ground up?

When you buy a 120r you are restricted by what the MOTHER COMPANY wants you to buy. You are restricted by a lower end that is JUNK. It is JUNK because they save tens of thousands of dollars each year on building the motors. In the old days (pre 2003) the flywheels were bolted together and trued before they left the factory BY HAND. They were a lot stronger back then. Now they are pressed by a computer controlled press. In the past any runout past 004 was considered out of true. Now I'm not even sure what it is. But I know it a hell of a lot more runout. And when you have something spinning around on a set of bearings and it is not spinning square you have a time bomb in the making!! And speaking of bearings. In 2003 HD did away with the left side timken bearing setup. You lost a lot of strength when they did that. Just another cost saving mistake. 

It's your money and your down time oh and your vibration and excessive engine noise.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Dawg

Love ya brother but did you look to see who's post you copied before you commented?
You can't even imagine the experience and knowledge sadunbar has concerning all things mechanical.
He has forgotten more than most of us know about motors.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2012, 07:43:23 AM »

Dawg

Love ya brother but did you look to see who's post you copied before you commented?
You can't even imagine the experience and knowledge sadunbar has concerning all things mechanical.
He has forgotten more than most of us know about motors.

SBB

Chip I understand completely. But I am firm on my position about the lower ends the MOTHER COMPANY has given us since 2003. I also appreciate Sadunbar chiming in on this thread. I am even happier that he has had no problems with his factory 120r. I would love to see Sadunbar get 100k out of his motor. He is one of the few. I have seen the same problems with the 120r as we see with all of our CVO motors. That is why in this area Zippers is building their 120 from the ground up and people are buying the hell out of them. Not that I would buy another motor from them. Just sayin!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

bikerboy53

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • OR

• CVO1: Razor Red '07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: Red & Slate '10 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2012, 03:29:49 PM »

Guys,
I appreciate all the information and the opinions that have been shared. And I'm just as concerned about crankshaft life as anyone. My '07 SERK went thru 3 or 4 until (after the warranty ran out) I finally had my stocker revamped by Darkhorse Crankworks -with Timken conversion. Now that crank is better than plain old bulletproof -it's machine gun proof! Very happy with it! But we mostly ride the CVO Ultra now days. At least until the lifter failure! And so far we haven't had any crank problems with it. (Knock on wood!)

It's a tough decision because I have a max. budget of about $8,000 for whatever I decide to do with this bike. If I build a 120, it looks like (according to the Screamin' Eagle Parts catalog) I couldn't start with my 110 crankcase, and would have to buy a new one. Then have it converted to Timken, and buy a Darkhorse crank. Not to mention buying heads, cylinders, pistons, selecting cams, etc. By the time I do all that (and more) and add labor to the mix, I'm concerned that I would be way over my budget.

If I go with the SE120R I think I can come in right around my budget because it comes with most of what I will need, and I won't have as large a bill for engine assembly labor. I am encouraged by Sadunbar's good results with his 120 too. Sounds like he uses his bike exactly the way my wife and I use our bike. And his mileage is as good or better than what we get with our relatively stock 110 (with A/C and Fullsac pipes only).

I'm still weighing the options and trying to estimate the costs for each approach, but it's a tough decision. If I don't go with an off the shelf 120R then I can probably only build a 110 of some sort... And then again, there's no replacement for displacement!

Still undecided...  :-\
S&S T124
VP-016-340 Centrifugal Clutch kit
S&S PowerTune Duals w/Rinehart Touring Mufflers
Garmin Zumo 660
Bushtec Trailer

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2012, 03:48:28 PM »

Guys,
I appreciate all the information and the opinions that have been shared. And I'm just as concerned about crankshaft life as anyone. My '07 SERK went thru 3 or 4 until (after the warranty ran out) I finally had my stocker revamped by Darkhorse Crankworks -with Timken conversion. Now that crank is better than plain old bulletproof -it's machine gun proof! Very happy with it! But we mostly ride the CVO Ultra now days. At least until the lifter failure! And so far we haven't had any crank problems with it. (Knock on wood!)

It's a tough decision because I have a max. budget of about $8,000 for whatever I decide to do with this bike. If I build a 120, it looks like (according to the Screamin' Eagle Parts catalog) I couldn't start with my 110 crankcase, and would have to buy a new one. Then have it converted to Timken, and buy a Darkhorse crank. Not to mention buying heads, cylinders, pistons, selecting cams, etc. By the time I do all that (and more) and add labor to the mix, I'm concerned that I would be way over my budget.

If I go with the SE120R I think I can come in right around my budget because it comes with most of what I will need, and I won't have as large a bill for engine assembly labor. I am encouraged by Sadunbar's good results with his 120 too. Sounds like he uses his bike exactly the way my wife and I use our bike. And his mileage is as good or better than what we get with our relatively stock 110 (with A/C and Fullsac pipes only).

I'm still weighing the options and trying to estimate the costs for each approach, but it's a tough decision. If I don't go with an off the shelf 120R then I can probably only build a 110 of some sort... And then again, there's no replacement for displacement!

Still undecided...  :-\

Bikerboy53,

I also have a 120r and no crank issues, just a bit of noise from the lifters which I plan on swapping out with S&S ones.    At least 7 of the guys we ride with have the 120r's they either have no work done or some headwork done and the short front sprocket and knock on wood none have seen crank or any other issues and at least 4 are rode pretty hard.   Of those 3 have changed out the lifters to quiet the top end a bit very successfully.    Just havent seen enough evidence that the cranks are a big problem or epidemic like is being purported.  With the 120r you already have the power you would get out of a fully built 110 plus some and still have the chance to do more if you desired.  I would build a 117 out of a 110 before I build/rebuild a 110.    

Again good luck with whatever road you take on your project.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 03:50:07 PM by Unbalanced »
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 21 queries.