Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Danny Gray seat 3,000 mile road trip.  (Read 9107 times)

Angry Pirate

• Junior CVO Member
  • Bikes are meant to be ridden!

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3
Danny Gray seat 3,000 mile road trip.
« on: October 02, 2012, 08:57:23 AM »

All,
Last fall I purchased a Danny Gray Weekday 2-Up XL seat for my 2009 FXSTSSE3.  I told everyone I would give a report when I got a chance to put some miles on it.  Listed price as $425 plain.

http://www.dannygray.com/seats/standardseats.asp

My wife and I took a 3,000 mile trip from Northewstern Washington to Reno Nevada and back via Idaho last week.  I couldn't be more pleased.  This is the fourth long distance trip I have taken on this bike and absolutely my most comfortable.  The seat required a little break in however I could tell from the start that the ergonomic shape of the seat would keep me from getting the usual hot spots. 

The HD Sundowner that I previously had was about worthless in both padding and seating position.  I regularly rode with an AirHawk pad on top of it which only addressed the padding and added to in propper seating position; to far forward and to high up.  The seating position of the Danny Gray is perfect!  Low and back with a large area of back support for those quick launches into traffic or high speed cornering in the mountains.

As we added the miles the seat broke in and felt formed to my butt.  I used to routinely get hot spots on my butt and pain in my tailbone.  Gone.  The only discomfort I felt was from my butt falling asleep after about 1h 30m straight ridding.

Passenger position.  My wife still says nothing compairs tot he Mustang Seat I had on my Night Train.  Of course Mustang does not make a seat for the 09 CVO Springer and after an email conversation I had with their sales department, they have no intention of making one.  She started the trip with a combo pad (memory foam/gel/sheep).  This used to dot he trick for her on the Sundowner.  After the first day she complained of bad hot spots.  Luckily I had brought my AirHawk pad in case the seat did not work out for me.  I swapped it in for her and she was good to go for the rest of the 9 day trip.  I have to wonder if the foam would have broke in for her if she would have forgone the pads in the first place. 

Danny Gray now makes all of his seats available with internal AirHawk pads.  I almost wish I would have waited and ordered my seat with one at least in the passenger position.  Maybe I can send it back in for an upgrade; only after several day rides with no pad to see if it breaks in for her or not.  My position needs nothing and I would be afraid changing it at this point.

All considered I am very satisfied and would recommend this seat to everyone.

A.P.

2009 FXSTSSE3
Python Staggered Dual (V&H Baffles)
Power Commander V W/Auto Tune
14" Fat Apes
Danny Gray Saddle

Angry Pirate

• Junior CVO Member

Re: Danny Gray seat 3,000 mile road trip.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 08:58:11 AM »

Another pic.
2009 FXSTSSE3
14" Fat Apes
Danny Gray Saddle

SEgle

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3. Deweys Pro Street Heads, Fueling 574 Reaper cam, Smith Bros Adj Push Rods, Woods directional Night Prowler Lifters, Cometic 0.03" Head gasket, D & D Low Cat, SEST, SE Clutch Spring & AIM VPC92T Clutch kit.
    • CVO2: '76 FXE LIberty
    • CVO3: '68 GTO
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 07:50:27 AM »

Glad your review is positive, i ordered mine last week, after seeing ur original post. Thinking tho now i might ask Sherry if they can add the air hawk system into the rear seat to be sure. Shouldn't be to hard as they are pretty easy to deal with hey.

Angry Pirate

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 09:36:09 AM »

I forgot to add that in my post about their customer service.  Sherry is awesome and very easy to work with.  Great customer service.
2009 FXSTSSE3
14" Fat Apes
Danny Gray Saddle

Screamin Eagle Carl

• Livin' Large with Loud Pipes
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Harley Davidson FXSTSSE2 CVO Screamin' Eagle Softail Springer
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 05:17:52 PM »

I'm saving up for one now. I already designed it on the web site. In the meantime I picked up a gel pad seat and passenger pad today. I paid 45 bucks on Ebay. I will let you know how it feels after I get it. Definitely not what Danny produces! 45 bucks is a dinner and a glass of wine.
2008 Harley Davidson FXSTSSE2 CVO Screamin' Eagle Softail Springer
Livin' Large

Screamin Eagle Carl

• Livin' Large with Loud Pipes
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Harley Davidson FXSTSSE2 CVO Screamin' Eagle Softail Springer
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 05:18:37 PM »

A.P. I love the look of the Apes! Sweet ride!
2008 Harley Davidson FXSTSSE2 CVO Screamin' Eagle Softail Springer
Livin' Large

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 06:37:16 PM »

X2 on Sherry, she is absolutely the best! I just got a TP and they are doing a custom backrest to match the custom Air Hawk seat they did for me 6 months ago. Great company where the customer comes first!
Alan

Angry Pirate

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 12:46:03 PM »

A.P. I love the look of the Apes! Sweet ride!

Thanks Bro.  I love riding with the apes. 
2009 FXSTSSE3
14" Fat Apes
Danny Gray Saddle

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 21 queries.