Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 5th gear whine  (Read 10871 times)

BB Wolf

5th gear whine
« on: October 05, 2012, 07:18:40 AM »

While riding down and back from Bikes,Blues, & BBQ I noticed that while in 5th gear at cruising speed bike had a loud whine coming from either primary or tranny.
Has anyone else had this problem on CVO bike? My thoughts are loose primary chain of bad 5th gear. Any suggestion on where to start looking?
Thanks for any replys.
Weather I'm 12 or 64 I'm gonna live my life like there ain't no more!
2008 SEUC
Fullsac 2" cores
Street Sleeper II
GMR 577
GMR lifters
TTS
Hayden BT 07
Evolution clutch spring
Clutch wiz
Barnett Kevlar + 1

scttgr8

• Senior CVO Member
  • my new GLIDE

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE
Re: 5th gear whine
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 07:44:41 AM »

does the noise go away when in neutral?
I havebeen seeing others with this...
2012 HD Road Glide Custom CVO (FLTRXSE) Candy Cobalt/Twilight Blue with Real Smoke Graphics I added wrapped chrome license plate bracket/cover, saddlebag guard rails, replaced black Engine covers w/Chrome, RCx slip-ons mounted on Fullsac "C" X head pipe, TTS tuner tuned! Enjoying life ...living the dream!!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 08:59:25 AM »

While riding down and back from Bikes,Blues, & BBQ I noticed that while in 5th gear at cruising speed bike had a loud whine coming from either primary or tranny.
Has anyone else had this problem on CVO bike? My thoughts are loose primary chain of bad 5th gear. Any suggestion on where to start looking?
Thanks for any replys.

It helps if you indicate exactly what model and year bike you're talking about, since different issues are common on certain bikes and years.  For instance, the earlier model Cruise Drive transmissions had spur (straight cut) gears for the fifth gear pair instead of the quieter helical gears used for 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 6th.  Many people complained about the whining noise in fifth, to the extent that Harley finally made the fifth gear pair helical for the 2010 model year.  Unfortunately the change is not easily retrofittable to an older bike.  If you have a 2009 or earlier bike, you could try a real gear lube like Redline Shockproof or Spectro if you're still running motor oil in the trans; that has been reported by many to help reduce the amount of noise.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Rocketman69

• Mr. Roboto
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXCUSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 09:04:54 AM »

Yeah.....fifth gear whines.  It's a fact of life.  More so than noisy 110 engines.  The truth is, the change to the helical cut gear in 2010 didn't make one lick of difference in the noise either.  I've got an '08, two '09s and a '12.........all of them do it.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 09:09:48 AM »

BB Wolf, I have an 09 with the straight cut 5th gear. When it was new and had syn 3 in it the noise was awful. Then I switched to redline shockpoof and it made it a little more quiet. Right now I am using a combination of Amsoil 75-140 mixed with 6 Oz of Lucas non-synthetic Heavy Duty oil stabalizer. I got an approval from techs at both companies before I did this. 5th gear is very quiet now compared to before. Just for the record I usually stay in 4th until at least 60 MPH. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

Kathy

• Hayden Enterprises
  • Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
    • Hayden Enterprises - M6 Automatic Primary Chain Tensioner
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 09:57:01 AM »

Thanks for any replys.

Could this be a primary chain issue? That stock tensioner gets too tight and it may be that there is added stress on the primary system. Just food for thought.

Thanks,
  Hayden Enterprises
http://www.haydensm6.com

We're here to help.

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 10:54:26 AM »

I had a 2008 that really whined loud, but my 2012 has no whine at all.  They actually did make an improvement.
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

BB Wolf

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 08:10:56 AM »

Thanx to everyone who replied. Sorry about not enough info on model. Bike is used 08 FLHTCUSE which I traded for on 8-27-12 and had 22000 miles. No noise except 5th gear at acceleration or decel. First off I will pull primary cover and inspect auto chain adjuster and change oil to Redline Shockproof and see if that helps.

Thanx
BB Wolf
2008 SEUC
Fullsac 2" cores
Street Sleeper II
GMR 577
GMR lifters
TTS
Hayden BT 07
Evolution clutch spring
Clutch wiz
Barnett Kevlar + 1

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 09:38:28 AM »

Could this be a primary chain issue? That stock tensioner gets too tight and it may be that there is added stress on the primary system. Just food for thought.

Thanks,
  Hayden Enterprises

Unlikely Kathy.  If it was the primary chain tension, it should whine all the time, not just in one particular gear.  Since this is a known issue that was actually acknowledged by H-D (amazing), I think I'd be inclined to believe it's just the poorly matched fifth gear set.  I find it funny how Harley had nothing but straight cut gears for decades without all these problems like severe neutral rattle from the first gear set and whine from the fifth gear set.  Just one more of the many examples of cheapening the designs and parts until they screw up the works, IMHO.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 09:44:46 AM »

Yeah.....fifth gear whines.  It's a fact of life.  More so than noisy 110 engines.  The truth is, the change to the helical cut gear in 2010 didn't make one lick of difference in the noise either.  I've got an '08, two '09s and a '12.........all of them do it.

You have a whine in 5th gear on a '12? Something is wrong........1st gear whines but that's it. I have had a '10 and now an '11 and neither made any whine in 5th. 1st is a different story....

As others have stated...try Redline Shockproof in the trans....it helped my 1st gear noise and it may help the noise for you also.

BB Wolf

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 11:43:21 AM »

Which Redline Shockproof are you guys recommending (Heavy, Lightweight, Or Superlight)?
2008 SEUC
Fullsac 2" cores
Street Sleeper II
GMR 577
GMR lifters
TTS
Hayden BT 07
Evolution clutch spring
Clutch wiz
Barnett Kevlar + 1

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 12:27:22 PM »

Which Redline Shockproof are you guys recommending (Heavy, Lightweight, Or Superlight)?

Heavy.  They also market it under a name like V-Twin Transmission Fluid with Shockproof if I remember correctly.  You could also go with Spectro, Bel-Ray, or many others.  The proper weight for the trans is 75W90.

Jerry

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 12:47:04 PM »

Heavy Shockproof...

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 08:22:50 PM »

Thanx to everyone who replied. Sorry about not enough info on model. Bike is used 08 FLHTCUSE which I traded for on 8-27-12 and had 22000 miles. No noise except 5th gear at acceleration or decel. First off I will pull primary cover and inspect auto chain adjuster and change oil to Redline Shockproof and see if that helps.

Thanx
BB Wolf
I also have a FLHTCUSE3 ('08 model) and have the 5th gear whine (as explained by others due to 5th is a spur gear, not helical).  It gets worse when hot (completely understandable).  I don't fret it and continue to use Syn3 in the tranny as recommended by MoCo.
T

09S/E roadglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • lead, follow or get out of the way !

• CVO1: 09 S/E roadglide org. and black
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 07:41:14 AM »

Heavy !  :2vrolijk_21: Agreed its just the straight cut gear.
a.k.a  Dent Dude
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 22 queries.