Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sissy Bar Rattles It Doesn't Fit Tightly on the Docking Hardware  (Read 3836 times)

12cvosoftail

I generally ride without any of the accessories installed unless I am on an over night trip at which point I have a H-D touring bag strapped to the sissy bar. The first thing I noticed when I removed the sissy bar after bringing the CVO home from the dealer is the bar didn't mount tightly. My Sportster has similar docking hardware and the sissy bar fits tightly. I installed the sissy bar on the CVO and went for a ride the other day and it rattles loudly when riding especially on the left side. I can shake the sissy bar while it is installed on the bike to some degree and it rattles. Anyone else able to shake the sissy bar while installed on the docking hardware? It should be solidly mounted with no play like on my Sportster.

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
Re: Sissy Bar Rattles It Doesn't Fit Tightly on the Docking Hardware
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 11:58:12 PM »

hey, 12, I checked and mine is pretty rock solid.  Just an imagination of a little play.  is your play at the back or at the grooved front?  Are the black plastic pieces that all 4 points make contact with fully intact?  No chips, etc?  Seems you could see where the issue is and make a determination.  I agree, shouldn't be sloppy at all.

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 12:10:15 AM »

X2, mine is solid.

Porschestan

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 02:00:54 AM »

X3
Mine is Rock Solid

ozarke

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 12:05:34 PM »

?  Are the black plastic pieces that all 4 points make contact with fully intact?  No chips, etc? 

I had broken one of the plastic bushings,  it was hard to see as the missing piece was on the bottom, which made my rack rattle enough that I started looking for the problem.

Least expensive repair I have made on an HD.   :bananarock:

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 02:31:58 PM »

when I first received my '10 convertible, someone had jammed the left saddlebag on so hard (misaligned, mind you) I had to almost hit the saddlebag with a sledge hammer to get it where I could remove it.  Looking at the "bushing" (thankyou for the proper term; I would have failed being a good parts man at the counter because of my descriptions;  ha!) it was easy to determine that it needed to be replaced.  Agree, this is one of the cheapest fixes on a Harley and could be your issue.

12cvosoftail

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 02:42:36 PM »

Thanks to all for checking and offering suggestions. I checked the plastic mounts and they were fine. Since you don't experience the issue I decided to dissemble the sissy bar and put it back together. Bingo! The problem is now resolved. Thanks again!

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 07:18:16 PM »

Ooooooooooooooooh, I hope I don't rip the stitches out of old wounds here......but the biggest complaint I have about the quick-release sissy bar and trunk, etc. is I regularly need to flex it outboard or inboard (not sure which) an 1/8" or more to get the quick-release down flush inside the groove (meshed with the bushing??) for a good, solid snap of the quick-release to assure myself that it is truly locked tight.  And it usually is!...................or.......... I might be riding back and picking my sissy bar up off the highway.................... :nervous:      p.s. are you going to tell us what the issue turned out to be???    Pork.

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 21 queries.