Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clunking noise in primary  (Read 5088 times)

3mcam

• Junior CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: 2021 FLHTKSE Bronze Armor
Clunking noise in primary
« on: November 07, 2012, 07:36:20 AM »

A couple of weeks ago I started hearing a very loud deep throated clunking noise that seemed to be coming from the primary of my FLHXSE 110. Did some research and decided to replace the tensioner with a Hayden M6. The noise while shifting lessened a little and it was easier to find neutral. The main noise was still there. I have ordered a new SE compensator and plan to replace that this weekend along with installing HQ Black-ops lifters to help quite down the top end ticking. Any ideas or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
Re: Clunking noise in primary
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 01:44:04 PM »

The compensator should stop the noise a lot but you will still have some noise. It's a Harley.
Bill

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 02:10:15 PM »

I'll tell you what fixed my clunking noise!

For years I used a full face or modular helmet.  I started having some problems with my neck being sore after long trips.  I decided that one of the new HD light half helmets would help.

I used the new helmet on our ride to Ribfest and it did help my neck but during the trip I started noticing a loud clunk in the primary on acceleration and deceleration.  Took the bike to the dealer and was told the noise was normal.

Put the modular helmet back on and noise is gone!
 :)

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

eleft36

• Full CVO Member
  • Senior Rider
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 03:36:24 PM »

Clunky shifts can be eased while shifting at the higher RPM when allowing the engine to catch up to the throttle position before the up shift.

Al
2010 CVO 110" Conv. Exhaust, K&N A/C, Stock Heads, SE 103" BB kit, Andrews 26H Cams, Adapted H-D Engine Guard, Mustang wide Touring Seat, Stock Bars, H-D Oil Cooler, 1990 Leather Works Inc. Bags with Deluxe modified guards, H-D Windshield, Thunder Max A/T, '05 CVO Tour Pac, SCRC Chapter 524

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 03:40:02 PM »

Clunky shifts can be eased while shifting at the higher RPM when allowing the engine to catch up to the throttle position before the up shift.

Al

I'll tell you what fixed my clunking noise!

For years I used a full face or modular helmet.  I started having some problems with my neck being sore after long trips.  I decided that one of the new HD light half helmets would help.

I used the new helmet on our ride to Ribfest and it did help my neck but during the trip I started noticing a loud clunk in the primary on acceleration and deceleration.  Took the bike to the dealer and was told the noise was normal.

Put the modular helmet back on and noise is gone!
 :)

In my case, no shift involved.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 03:41:52 PM by 11hd110 »

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 04:37:41 PM »

I had the same sound from my primary, at least that's what I thought it was at first.
Turned out to be neutral rattle.

If the noise goes away when you pull the clutch in its neutral rattle.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=66957.0

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 09:04:42 PM »

Sounds like compensator. They all suck. Typical poor harley design team at work. Sometime clank,clunk on start or same on shutdown. My 12 sesg only made it to 12000 miles. My 05 seeg though has the orig at almost 70000.

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 21 queries.