Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will pipes have to be changed?  (Read 1573 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Will pipes have to be changed?
« on: November 07, 2012, 02:09:00 PM »

I have a 07 cvo ultra classic,I going to install a reverse gear kit to her. Got a bum knee proves tough pulling her back.
                      Would any one have hands on knowledge if theres room for the rear pipe to butten back up?

There shore ain't much room there. Or will I have to  change pipes as well?  :nixweiss:

ultrarider123

Re: Will pipes have to be changed?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 01:39:50 PM »

Good questions all.  I got a couple for ya.  Who's the manufacture of the reverse gear set?  What does the installation instructions show for pipe or other item clearance?  Depending on what the issues are, Fulsac, Vance/Hines have different header/exhause options that route the headers different than stock but depending on how your reverse installs, these may not be an option either.  Pictures would help... :2vrolijk_21:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 03:32:54 PM »

Depends on a whole lot of factors, the most important being which reverse kit and what exhaust system do you have installed on the bike.  I'm including a link to one company that claims their kit will work without modification to the stock FLH exhaust system; I've seen others than just indicate "exhaust modifications may be required" which is pretty much useless information. 

http://www.motortrike.com/TrikeReverse.aspx

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 03:52:02 PM »

Depends on a whole lot of factors, the most important being which reverse kit and what exhaust system do you have installed on the bike.  I'm including a link to one company that claims their kit will work without modification to the stock FLH exhaust system; I've seen others than just indicate "exhaust modifications may be required" which is pretty much useless information. 

Jerry
Yeah, right.  That's right up there with 'some assembly required.'  Lol.   ;D

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 05:06:25 PM »

Jerry

Hay Jerry,
           Cheers for the link, I took a look the pipes they show as you saw rap around, on mine the rear pipe comes straight down & cuts across the rear of the trans. cover plate. I've tried to post some pic but for some resone I can't send any pic. going to half to take my drive in tomorrow & git it sortted out. Did find one you asked about type of gear kit, champion, can't fowerd a link but pipies look the same heres the link add. http://www.championsidecars.com./reverse gears. I got an 07 I think the rap around type are after that? Any way once I git this pic sending fault sortted I'll post some.

Cheers the feed backs being real helpfull

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 05:33:28 PM »

Doesn't Baker make a reverse gear that requires no exhaust modifications  :nixweiss:
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 08:12:46 PM »

Longlast, if I understand correctly you have the standard pipes for a 2007 and the crossover pipe from the rear cylinder runs behind the transmission side cover.  For that setup, you need the version that has the operating lever at the front of the trans side cover.  The kits for the newer style bikes have the lever at the rear, which is the only real difference that I can see.  See if the photo in the link is what you are looking for.

http://www.championsidecars.com/products.asp?scPage=3&catID=5&itemID=40

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 08:23:36 PM »

Doesn't Baker make a reverse gear that requires no exhaust modifications  :nixweiss:

Baker makes a F6R kit that uses the regular shift lever and an electrical switch and solenoid rather than the extra hand operated lever of the other brands.  It will fit the stock style exhaust of the 2007-2008, but not the stock exhaust on the 2009 and later FLH models.  Read all about it here:

http://bakerdrivetrain.com/f6r-factory-6-speed-reverse#

It's about $400 US more than the kits with the hand lever ($1895 for the hydraulic clutch version).

Jerry

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 05:58:56 AM »

Longlast, if I understand correctly you have the standard pipes for a 2007 and the crossover pipe from the rear cylinder runs behind the transmission side cover.  For that setup, you need the version that has the operating lever at the front of the trans side cover.  The kits for the newer style bikes have the lever at the rear, which is the only real difference that I can see.  See if the photo in the link is what you are looking for.

http://www.championsidecars.com/products.asp?scPage=3&catID=5&itemID=40

Jerry
                          Jerry, yes you got it right. Pipes are as you discribed the champion kit poto you sent looks the same as my pipe. I think, I hope, my serch for the right kit & not having to change pipes has wound to a close. Don't know if champion deal in the U.K? if not I'll have to see if they ship over seas. Jerry your helps bin invaluble thanks for your time. I'll some pictures once I get this computer sortted.

Pete.   

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 08:43:43 AM »

Hey Jerry, thanks for the info on this topic.  I'm looking at putting a reverse in my '12 SG due to a bad leg that prevents me from pushing back, just wanted your opinion on the system that Motor Trike makes for Harley.  My rear cylinder pipe runs in front of my tranny, so I would need the handle location to be in the back on my transmission.  ~Judy

« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 08:58:33 AM by LovemyCVOgirl »
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 01:12:31 PM »

Hey Jerry, thanks for the info on this topic.  I'm looking at putting a reverse in my '12 SG due to a bad leg that prevents me from pushing back, just wanted your opinion on the system that Motor Trike makes for Harley.  My rear cylinder pipe runs in front of my tranny, so I would need the handle location to be in the back on my transmission.  ~Judy

Hay Judy
I've bin looking for the same thing same reason. Jerry bin a big help put me on the right track. hope I can do the same for you, check out the link for "champion side cars" in the other postings thay acomidate both types of pipes.
hope this will help.

Pete.

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 21 queries.