Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 500 Mile Report  (Read 8191 times)

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout-crimson red
    • CVO2: 2012 V-Rod/10th Anniversary edition..well it SHOULD have been a CVO!
500 Mile Report
« on: November 10, 2012, 10:11:02 PM »

Hi folks,

For those of you who have not yet gotten yours, I thought I would post my riding thoughts after 500 miles.....maybe it will help with the wait-man it's hard waiting for a bike......

I have to modify my earlier comments about the handling.  True, tight twisties are going to result in sparks on both sides of the bike, BUT tight sweepers are fantastic on this bike.  It's easy to lay it over into sweeping turns-I assume that's due to how low it is to the ground.  Thus far the 240 rear tire does not seem to hinder handling(for comparison, my V-Rod wants to naturally right itself while in turns with the 240 rear on it-you have to really work it to keep the bike tracking properly through the turn....no such sensation on the Breakout)

Power.....and more power....what's that old saying, "there's no substitute for displacement"...I'm a believer.

I have been on a couple of 2 hour + rides, and the riding position continues to be just fantastic.  slightly leaned forward to take pressure off the back, and the spread of the bars is just perfect-not too wide, not too narrow.  The pegs are perfect for stretching your legs out by hooking your feet on the inside of the pegs.  Great for those long stretches of highway...

Comfort is really good.  I thought with the thin-ish padded seat, I would get weary in the rear section, but it's incredibly comfortable.  And although it's tempting to remove the pillion to reveal more of the bumper, you might want to reconsider-it keeps me ON the bike-lot of power coming with every gear change and you need to be held in place.

Suspension continues to impress, especially considering how slammed this bike is....road imperfections and expansion joints are non-events.

Still hate the way the side mounted plate is oriented....just hate it....

I am averaging about 38mpg

Having cruise control on a Softail is just fantastic......it works extremely well....

I really like the new instrument panel, and how you roll through the display via the top section of the HORN button.  No more pushing buttons on the side of the console....very nice...

After 500 miles I am NOT impressed with the ride-by-wire throttle.  Quick throttle blips on downshifts are greeted with pops, dead spots, and on a couple of occassions, it's killed the engine....yep, downshifting into 2nd a couple of times, blipping the throttle and it just dies...You have to roll on the throttle easy during downshifting.  I am going to have the dealer check that....never experienced this with cable throttle systems.

WARNING:  you WILL get stopped regularly when you are out with this bike, with shouts of "wow, what kind of Harley is that?"

I had a county sheriff's deputy follow me for a few miles and into a gas station.  Asked me if this was the "new Harley Screamin' Eagle he had been hearing so much about"-he could not get over the paintwork-kept looking at it from every angle.  He was a Street Glide guy......

It really draws a crowd every time I stop....

2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount
2012 10th Anniversary V-Rod, TAB slash-cut exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 Pro Tuner

Fisherman

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout Hard Candy Gold
Re: 500 Mile Report
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 12:23:13 AM »

Hi Z06 many thanks for a great report, hope to see one in the flesh on the 28th of November at the bike show in Birmingham UK. Any thoughts on the mufflers ?

conmore

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 02:19:22 AM »

Hi folks,

After 500 miles I am NOT impressed with the ride-by-wire throttle.  Quick throttle blips on downshifts are greeted with pops, dead spots, and on a couple of occassions, it's killed the engine....yep, downshifting into 2nd a couple of times, blipping the throttle and it just dies...You have to roll on the throttle easy during downshifting.  I am going to have the dealer check that....never experienced this with cable throttle systems.

Hi there
I had EXACTLY the same problem with my FLHTCU and fixed it by fitting a Vance & Hines Throttlepak. Not sure if they do one for your model. The ECU was re-mapped by the dealer to try and adjust the throttle plate sensitivity and it was better but not 100% and certainly nothing like a cable operated throttle. The Throttlepak restored the cable feel and I had absolutely no lag at all.
Cheers

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 08:24:31 AM »

Hi there
I had EXACTLY the same problem with my FLHTCU and fixed it by fitting a Vance & Hines Throttlepak. Not sure if they do one for your model. The ECU was re-mapped by the dealer to try and adjust the throttle plate sensitivity and it was better but not 100% and certainly nothing like a cable operated throttle. The Throttlepak restored the cable feel and I had absolutely no lag at all.
Cheers

X2 on the Throttlepak.  Corrected my problem just like it did Conmore's.
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 08:35:07 AM »

great responses folks.

I was hoping a fueler was the answer....didn't know if they could help with throttle response on electronic throttles or not.....sounds like they do!

I am waiting for V/H to bless a fitment for the Breakout of their Big Radius 2-1(I know the existing part numbers may fit, but I want an ironclad warranty from V/H before putting it on my bike)

Obviously at that time I will also be putting on a fueler(once they come out for the 2013's) to let this beast breath, and apparently to take care of the sluggish throttle.

I am a big fan of the Cobra Fi2000 Protune Autotuner myself.  It's a set and forget system.  Automatically adjusts to any mods, and any climate changes.  Have been using it on my V-Rod and I never have to touch anything.

My concern with the fuelpak and others like it is: don't you have to tweak them, for example, if you are riding in the mountains compared to sea level(which I do a lot of)?  Or when there are big temperature changes like going from 80 degrees in summer to riding in 35 degrees in the winter?   Just wondering......

thanks!

2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 08:38:16 AM »

Hi Z06 many thanks for a great report, hope to see one in the flesh on the 28th of November at the bike show in Birmingham UK. Any thoughts on the mufflers ?

I just installed V/H slash cut slip-ons over this past weekend....definitely perked up the sound.  Anything is better than stock....personally, I don't prefer this new tone, but it will get me by until V/H provides a fitment of their Big Radius 2-1, which is hands down my favorite exhaust....it's a full system and has a very, very deep rumble, which is what I prefer over the more raspy sound of the slip-ons I have on now..

Born2Live

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: FLHXSE 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: VRSCF 2013 V Rod Muscle
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 04:57:08 PM »

Thanks for the report!  All valued and much appreciated as I wait till February to get mine.  I am very anxious but at the same time am very patient and looking forward to the day it arrives.
Fuelmoto 2-1-2 Jackpot Headers
Fuelmoto FLH E Series Mufflers - 14 discs

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 06:49:55 PM »

Thanks for the report!  All valued and much appreciated as I wait till February to get mine.  I am very anxious but at the same time am very patient and looking forward to the day it arrives.

Patience is a virtue I never picked up....I had to wait 7 weeks for mine and i thought it was the end of the world    :huepfenlol2:

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Softail Breakout - Black Diamond & Molten Silver
    • CVO2: Gone but not forgotten: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible - Roman Gold & Maple Metallic
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 03:17:25 AM »

Big Radius 2-1
[/quote]

Please post a pic of of the exhaust when u get it.  I'm thinking 2:1 too!
The only difference between a mad man and myself is that I am not mad.  I'm not suffering from insanity, I rather enjoy it.

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 09:09:52 AM »

Big Radius 2-1

Please post a pic of of the exhaust when u get it.  I'm thinking 2:1 too!

will do.  I had the Big Radius 2-1 on my 2008 FXSTC that had a 103ci big bore kit on it, so I think the tone might be similar on the 110....I listened to a LOT of exhausts before I bought that BR 2-1 and loved the look and the sound...the BR 2-1 is very rare in the areas I ride(even 4 years after I put it on), and folks were always asking me if it was a custom system or not....I liked having something rather unique on the bike...the fact that the 2-1 makes more power is a great side benefit!

it's the only 2-1 exhaust that really flipped my lid.  Most of them are a straight pipe which does not work for me on a custom cruiser...

ultrarider123

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 09:14:43 AM »

Great ride report and thanks for taking the effort to do this.  BTW, I've had a couple touring models (09 FLHX and current bike) with the electronic throttle and had no issues with the it on either bike...really like it.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 09:22:07 AM »

Concerning the throttle lag issue, if and when you decide on a tuning device make this a part of your decision making process.  Some allow you to adjust the throttle sensitivity in the software, so a separate item like the V&H Throttle Pak isn't required.  TTS is one that definitely has that capability, others may as well.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Born2Live

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: FLHXSE 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: VRSCF 2013 V Rod Muscle
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 09:48:15 AM »

Patience is a virtue I never picked up....I had to wait 7 weeks for mine and i thought it was the end of the world    :huepfenlol2:

I am taking notes on all of this!!!  One question I have with the tight turns and the pegs grinding, is there a way to correct that issue?  i.e. raising front end 1"?, adjust pegs?  Or is it a non issue?
Fuelmoto 2-1-2 Jackpot Headers
Fuelmoto FLH E Series Mufflers - 14 discs

G_Fend

• Full CVO Member
  • FXSBSE

• CVO1: '13 CVO Breakout (Crimson Red)
    • CVO2: '05 FXD
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 10:21:38 AM »

Good stuff Jeff! I managed to get about 160 miles on mine this weekend before I had to load her into the truck for the trip back to VA. It is just amazing how this bike feels!

Let me tell ya, with the crap weather I had to drive through, I'm glad discretion got the better of me and I didn't try to ride her home from KC!!
2013 CVO Breakout FXSBSE
Crimson Red Sunglo
Quick Release Windshield
Engine Guard with Slipstream Highway Pegs
V&H Slash-cut Slip-ons

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 10:36:37 AM »

I am taking notes on all of this!!!  One question I have with the tight turns and the pegs grinding, is there a way to correct that issue?  i.e. raising front end 1"?, adjust pegs?  Or is it a non issue?

I suppose you could raise the front end and buy very short footpegs, but IMO, that certainly would change the character of the bike.    I will say this, and it's just my opinion.  IF the Breakout was my only  bike, it would drive me crazy.  i do like to cruise the boulevard and take lazy fall rides to enjoy the colors, enjoying nice sweeping turns, and blasting out of slow turns with a big-torque motor just like everybody else, and that's the type of riding this bike was made for.  BUT, there are times when I want to take a ride over to hilly eastern Ohio, or to the Tail of the Dragon, or route 28 through the Carolina's, etc.,  where the roads are tight, technical, and crazy twisty, and just cut loose(well as much "cutting loose as a 50 year old man should do!).  For me, the Breakout would just not be very much fun on those runs.....I reach for a diffrerent tool.

Now, I see plenty of people with baggers/touring bikes with less lean angle than the Breakout has(those footboards!), running the Dragon and having a big time....it's just not for me...

Per your original question, IMO it CAN be an issue.   I always make sure I am approaching tight turns at a very reduced speed on the Breakout....if you enter the turn too hot and catch the pedal hard on the pavement early in the turn......that can turn out to be a bad day depending on the situation, you know?  It's just something to look out for and be aware of with this bike, that's all.  As I am putting more miles on the bike I am getting a feel for what I can and can't do going into turns...

« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 10:41:27 AM by Z06_Pilot »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 21 queries.