Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Author Topic: Watch That Fuel Gauge!!  (Read 21325 times)

Dobeman2000

• Senior CVO Member
  • His and Hers

• CVO1: 2013 Red Breakout
    • CVO2: 2013 Gold Breakout
Watch That Fuel Gauge!!
« on: November 22, 2012, 11:29:33 AM »

Was out on the new bike yesterday and noticed I had what looked to be a little less than 1/4 of a tank (what my assumption was based on the digital guage).  The fuel light comes on and I start losing power in 6th gear, downshift to 5th, start losing power there after about 1/2 mile.  Long story short, I just made it to the gas station and put almost a full 5 gallons in the tank- so I don't know if there is a fuel gauge issue or what, but I will be watching the milage from here on out and not just the fuel guage.  Let me know if any of you have experienced similar issues with your Breakouts.

SupDude

Re: Watch That Fuel Gauge!!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 01:31:31 PM »

Generally speaking, I've always watched my mileage and not the gas gauge.  I used the "A" setting on the odometer to watch my gas mileage and I reset the "B" setting to remind me when I need to service my bike.  Back in the old days we didn't have a fuel gauge so there was no choice but to count your miles. 

Since the Breakouts are so new, I'm assuming that you don't have a ton of miles on your bike.  You'll notice your gas mileage will improve as you break in your engine and put some miles on it.

2013 CVO Road Glide Anniversary

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout-crimson red
    • CVO2: 2012 V-Rod/10th Anniversary edition..well it SHOULD have been a CVO!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 07:30:33 PM »

hmmmm, that's strange.  I have ridden mine to near empty once.  I was showing a single bar on the fuel gauge, then got the fuel light with an R reading of 36 miles, which is how my last Softail operated, so it was as expected for me.
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount
2012 10th Anniversary V-Rod, TAB slash-cut exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 Pro Tuner

Dobeman2000

• Senior CVO Member
  • His and Hers

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 08:06:50 PM »

Not a good sign for my gauge I guess.

hmmmm, that's strange.  I have ridden mine to near empty once.  I was showing a single bar on the fuel gauge, then got the fuel light with an R reading of 36 miles, which is how my last Softail operated, so it was as expected for me.

Dobeman2000

• Senior CVO Member
  • His and Hers

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 08:09:52 PM »

My lower fuel bar was also flashing.  The strang thing is all tis happened essentially at once- low fuel symbol came on, loss of power in higher gears, and the lowest line on the fuel gauge flashing.  It was my understanding that once that fuel light comes on I should have as you said, around 30+ miles left approx.

jcraig147

• Full CVO Member
  • Batmobike 757 of 999

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-BLK
    • CVO2: 2004 Fatboy
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 09:18:19 PM »

My lower fuel bar was also flashing.  The strang thing is all tis happened essentially at once- low fuel symbol came on, loss of power in higher gears, and the lowest line on the fuel gauge flashing.  It was my understanding that once that fuel light comes on I should have as you said, around 30+ miles left approx.

You might want to take it in and get the guage calibrated.

Fullsac Stage 1, 2 in Cores, TTS Tuner

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 09:46:52 PM »

You might want to take it in and get the guage calibrated.

+1...that is NOT normal behavior..
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 06:32:03 AM »

Are you pretty sure it was low on fuel that was causing the problem.  Did the motor act as if it was cutting off and then catching some fuel and running?  Your description of 'losing power' after running 1/2 mile has me wondering.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

G_Fend

• Full CVO Member
  • FXSBSE

• CVO1: '13 CVO Breakout (Crimson Red)
    • CVO2: '05 FXD
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 09:43:55 AM »

Good to know! I'll keep an eye on mine
2013 CVO Breakout FXSBSE
Crimson Red Sunglo
Quick Release Windshield
Engine Guard with Slipstream Highway Pegs
V&H Slash-cut Slip-ons

Dobeman2000

• Senior CVO Member
  • His and Hers

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 10:41:23 AM »

Well, as soon as I filled up the problem went away, so I am guessing it was fuel related.  Wouldn't hurt to get the thing calibrated.

Are you pretty sure it was low on fuel that was causing the problem.  Did the motor act as if it was cutting off and then catching some fuel and running?  Your description of 'losing power' after running 1/2 mile has me wondering.  spyder

AZ_BREAKOUT

• CVO1: '13 Breakout Black
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 06:22:31 PM »

I experienced the exact same fuel issue.  When the light came on I was in 6th gear riding down the freeway when it acted like it was starving for fuel.  I down geared to 5th and it acted fine.  After refilling the tank it's been just fine.
When I had it in the shop installing my HD Daymaker Headlamp I talked to the Tech and all he did was scold me for riding in 6th gear during the break in period!  I forgot that was a no no.  Will report back the next time fuel gets low....

Dobeman2000

• Senior CVO Member
  • His and Hers

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 07:25:20 PM »

I have never heard about the 6th gear rule (just read the owner's manual and it doesn't say anything about not using 6th gear during the breakin period).  It does say to keep things under 3000 rpm for the first 50 miles and under 3500 rpm for the first 500 miles, and vary speeds.  I use my 6th gear when I get up over 60, otherwise the rpm's sit right around 3000 at 60mph.

I experienced the exact same fuel issue.  When the light came on I was in 6th gear riding down the freeway when it acted like it was starving for fuel.  I down geared to 5th and it acted fine.  After refilling the tank it's been just fine.
When I had it in the shop installing my HD Daymaker Headlamp I talked to the Tech and all he did was scold me for riding in 6th gear during the break in period!  I forgot that was a no no.  Will report back the next time fuel gets low....

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 08:38:30 PM »

There is no sixth gear "rule", other than in the mind of that tech at that dealership. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 09:01:24 PM »

This break in period BS that they give you is nothing but crap.  Those rings are seated within the first 5 minutes that bike has been running.   :-\.  I wouldn't ride it like a scalded dog right out of the shut but I sure as heck would ride it like I stole it.   :P
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Layin the Pipe

• Drill baby drill!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FXSBSE Hard Candy Gold Dust/Liquid Sun
Breakout Fuel Gauge
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 07:58:31 PM »

Someone mentioned this in another topic, just didn't feel like looking for it. Last three days I've ridden to work, about 100 miles round trip. Filled up before I came home yesterday and rode through some pretty rough wind. Today I leave the office with about half a tank and decided to take the scenic route through Rolling Hills and Glen Rock, Wyoming (beautiful country but windy). As I'm coming into Casper the bike just quits. I look down at the mileage to empty and there is like 45 miles left. Downshift and I'm good to go. Does this like four times. I finally died about 200 yards away from the gas station. Fortunately it cranked right back up and I made it to the pump. Definitely a pucker factor of like 15 on a scale of 1 to 10. Once your gauge goes down to 1 bar or you are 75 to 100 miles to empty, stop and get some fuel.
You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas! - Davy Crockett

Layin the Pipe

• Drill baby drill!
  • Senior CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2013, 08:08:30 PM »

Thanks to whoever merged this for me. The other first I had today was hearing the rear cylinder shut off and start pumping air when it got hot. Sounded like whump whump whump whump.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

Re: Breakout Fuel Gauge
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2013, 08:26:01 PM »

Someone mentioned this in another topic, just didn't feel like looking for it. Last three days I've ridden to work, about 100 miles round trip. Filled up before I came home yesterday and rode through some pretty rough wind. Today I leave the office with about half a tank and decided to take the scenic route through Rolling Hills and Glen Rock, Wyoming (beautiful country but windy). As I'm coming into Casper the bike just quits. I look down at the mileage to empty and there is like 45 miles left. Downshift and I'm good to go. Does this like four times. I finally died about 200 yards away from the gas station. Fortunately it cranked right back up and I made it to the pump. Definitely a pucker factor of like 15 on a scale of 1 to 10. Once your gauge goes down to 1 bar or you are 75 to 100 miles to empty, stop and get some fuel.

I suppose you could let Harley off the hook and just fill up when the gauge shows plenty of fuel remaining, but you really should insist the MoCo fix the gauge.  The argument could be made that having a bike run out of fuel and quit running while cruising down the road (while the gauge shows plenty of fuel remaining) is a safety related defect, just like stalling for any other reason.  Sounds like a typical Harley fuel gauge btw, plus or minus a gallon or two. As long as folks keep accepting this crap, Harley will never take their fuel gauges seriously.  There is no excuse in this day and age for inaccurate gauges.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Dobeman2000

• Senior CVO Member
  • His and Hers

Re: Breakout Fuel Gauge
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 08:36:00 PM »

I will be taking mine in at some point this spring

I suppose you could let Harley off the hook and just fill up when the gauge shows plenty of fuel remaining, but you really should insist the MoCo fix the gauge.  The argument could be made that having a bike run out of fuel and quit running while cruising down the road (while the gauge shows plenty of fuel remaining) is a safety related defect, just like stalling for any other reason.  Sounds like a typical Harley fuel gauge btw, plus or minus a gallon or two. As long as folks keep accepting this crap, Harley will never take their fuel gauges seriously.  There is no excuse in this day and age for inaccurate gauges.

Jerry

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Softail Breakout - Black Diamond & Molten Silver
    • CVO2: Gone but not forgotten: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible - Roman Gold & Maple Metallic
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013, 11:23:07 PM »

Was out on the new bike yesterday and noticed I had what looked to be a little less than 1/4 of a tank (what my assumption was based on the digital guage).  The fuel light comes on and I start losing power in 6th gear, downshift to 5th, start losing power there after about 1/2 mile.  Long story short, I just made it to the gas station and put almost a full 5 gallons in the tank- so I don't know if there is a fuel gauge issue or what, but I will be watching the milage from here on out and not just the fuel guage.  Let me know if any of you have experienced similar issues with your Breakouts.
Interesting, I have had that loss of power twice on different rides when running low on gas. Guess I won't be doing that anymore.
The only difference between a mad man and myself is that I am not mad.  I'm not suffering from insanity, I rather enjoy it.

OXMP

• Loud Pipes Save Lives!

• CVO1: 2013 CVO BreakOut Silver
    • CVO2: 1999 FX-DWG
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013, 10:15:11 AM »

Hey fellow Break Out owners! What an awesome bike hey? I took delivery of mine 3 weeks ago here in South Africa ...and on my first ride when fuel was low (40Ks to go) mine also cut out and then restarted once I stopped and switched off and restarted. I returned it to the local dealer (Big 5 Nelspruit) and they reset the electronics (whatever that means). Again today while out riding and fuel warning on with 40Ks to go on the tank same issue .... cut out 2x before I got to refuel and I had 2 litres left in the tank ... so cant be a gauge problem surely if theres fuel remaining. I was however cruising at 100 miles per hour on both occasions when the engine cut out .. so wondering if the g-forces are not pushing the fuel into the rear of the tank?? Great to find though that I'm not the only BreakOut owner suffering these frustrations ...

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2013, 11:43:42 AM »

Hey fellow Break Out owners! What an awesome bike hey? I took delivery of mine 3 weeks ago here in South Africa ...and on my first ride when fuel was low (40Ks to go) mine also cut out and then restarted once I stopped and switched off and restarted. I returned it to the local dealer (Big 5 Nelspruit) and they reset the electronics (whatever that means). Again today while out riding and fuel warning on with 40Ks to go on the tank same issue .... cut out 2x before I got to refuel and I had 2 litres left in the tank ... so cant be a gauge problem surely if theres fuel remaining. I was however cruising at 100 miles per hour on both occasions when the engine cut out .. so wondering if the g-forces are not pushing the fuel into the rear of the tank?? Great to find though that I'm not the only BreakOut owner suffering these frustrations ...

OXMP, Welcome!

I think you may win the prize for taking delivery furthest away from the factory   :mango:

G_Fend

• Full CVO Member
  • FXSBSE

• CVO1: '13 CVO Breakout (Crimson Red)
    • CVO2: '05 FXD
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2013, 01:00:43 PM »

Wlecome, OXMP!  I've added you to the map!
2013 CVO Breakout FXSBSE
Crimson Red Sunglo
Quick Release Windshield
Engine Guard with Slipstream Highway Pegs
V&H Slash-cut Slip-ons

OXMP

• Loud Pipes Save Lives!

• CVO1: 2013 CVO BreakOut Silver
    • CVO2: 1999 FX-DWG
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2013, 11:46:13 AM »

Hey guys thanks for the welcome ... Its quite a story how I ended up with the BreakOut having ordered it in October 2012 and then having my deposit returned and being told H-D Motor Co. had pulled back on the dealer allocations, etc, etc. I was at Warrs London last weekend and they havent seen a Break out yet ! So yes I do feel priveleged to be part of this CVO Breakout club! I have enjoyed reading up on the various topics posted as well, especially on the V&N pipes and tuners. I definitely need more sound as I have a 99 FX-DWG with V&N pipes that has been cammed up and it makes a stunning sound ... so that will be my next accessory if we can get stock to South Africa. Cheers !

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO Ultra Limited - 2013 FLHTCUSE8 (Traded)

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2013, 12:06:52 PM »

Don't trust any of the H-D fuel gauges.  I personally believe they are there to keep the RUBS happy.  Start resetting one of your trip odometers each time you fill up and take note of the millage between fill-ups.  Eventually you will determine when you should start looking for a gas station or how many mile you have before needing to refuel.  I always leave the odometer on the trip meter that tracks my distance between fill ups.  The shape of the teardrop gas tank is not conducive to an accurate fuel gauge reading.  JMO.   
Do it now!

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2013, 01:15:28 PM »

Don't trust any of the H-D fuel gauges.  I personally believe they are there to keep the RUBS happy.  Start resetting one of your trip odometers each time you fill up and take note of the millage between fill-ups.  Eventually you will determine when you should start looking for a gas station or how many mile you have before needing to refuel.  I always leave the odometer on the trip meter that tracks my distance between fill ups.  The shape of the teardrop gas tank is not conducive to an accurate fuel gauge reading.  JMO.  

Good advice!  Although I have not experienced this on my CVO, we have had 3 V-Rods, and every one of them has experienced various severities of the infamous V-Rod gas guage problem.  11 years that bike has been out, and I rented a 2013 Muscle while on vacation 3 weeks ago....brand new bike....every time the tank got to 1/3 full, the gauge dropped to flatline and the fuel light came on, even though I knew there were ~60 miles left in the tank.

So, by habit from that experience, as hdaliaconis suggested, I reset the trip odom at every fill up and i know how far I can go on each bike in case the problem happens.

It's not a major deal, but how, how can the MoCo not get a niggle as simple as this right?

Just as an aside, my wife started on a 2008 Sporty before moving to V-Rods.  That bike did NOT come with a fuel guage....nope, not on the tank, not on the digital readout....no gauge...in 2008....wow
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 01:17:35 PM by Z06_Pilot »

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2013, 04:07:28 PM »

Good advice!  Although I have not experienced this on my CVO, we have had 3 V-Rods, and every one of them has experienced various severities of the infamous V-Rod gas guage problem.  11 years that bike has been out, and I rented a 2013 Muscle while on vacation 3 weeks ago....brand new bike....every time the tank got to 1/3 full, the gauge dropped to flatline and the fuel light came on, even though I knew there were ~60 miles left in the tank.

So, by habit from that experience, as hdaliaconis suggested, I reset the trip odom at every fill up and i know how far I can go on each bike in case the problem happens.

It's not a major deal, but how, how can the MoCo not get a niggle as simple as this right?

Just as an aside, my wife started on a 2008 Sporty before moving to V-Rods.  That bike did NOT come with a fuel guage....nope, not on the tank, not on the digital readout....no gauge...in 2008....wow

Not trying to show my age but at one time non of the bikes had fuel gauges.  Just a reserve valve on the front of the tank that you pulled up to go to reserve.  I just never got out of the habit of using mileage.  But that doesn't excuse the inaccurate fuel gauges.   :)
Do it now!

Willie D

• Senior CVO Member
  • Live Life at Full Throttle !

• CVO1: FLSTSE3
    • CVO2: FLHRSEI
    • CVO3: FXDWG2
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2013, 05:22:59 PM »

Not trying to show my age but at one time non of the bikes had fuel gauges.  Just a reserve valve on the front of the tank that you pulled up to go to reserve.  I just never got out of the habit of using mileage.  But that doesn't excuse the inaccurate fuel gauges.   :)

"A" trip is the safest way, and looking back on the bikes I've had, I would much prefer a reserve lever, unless of course you forget to switch it back after A Fill and then run empty. . . . .  :nixweiss:

Glad to hear the BO is making a splash.

WD
'Keep your Knees in the Breeze'
01 FXDWG- 11,000 + sold
02 FLHRSEI-66k + traded
New 06 FLTRI - Sold
08 XL1200 N - sold
2010 FLSTFB - Trade
2012 FLSTSE3 - Satin Pewter - 'Brush Gold'
2015 BMW F700GS
2017 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse  TS 111

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2013, 07:43:30 PM »

As long as you always fill the tank exactly the same, and ride under the exact same conditions with the same fuel, and don't vary from those things, then the 1950's tripmeter method might be OK.  Only thing is, back when that was the only method available we also had that handy dandy 1 gallon reserve on the petcock so if we didn't remember to reset the tripmeter, or didn't get the tank completely filled, or rode hard into a headwind so our tripmeter method was way off, we still didn't run out of gas because we had the reserve.  OK, now lets move to the modern fuel injected era.  There is no reserve fuel supply, so if your estimation using the tripmeter is off you could easily be either pushing your 700-900 pound bike down the side of the road, or sitting on the side of the road waiting for a road service truck with a can of gas.  Not so romantic or fun these days, is it?

Get the gauge fixed.  There is no excuse for an inaccurate gauge, and just because it's a motorcycle doesn't make an accurate gauge impossible to achieve.  As I said before, as long as the majority of Harley riders let Harley screw them over on this issue, Harley will be more than happy to let things go along just as they are.  If your dealer says it can't be fixed or adjusted, tell them they are FOS and then contact the MoCo.  File a complaint on the NHTSA website, since it's a safety related defect.  Raise a little hell.  If enough of you do it, something will change.

Jerry

kb1

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2013, 09:15:58 PM »

just yesterday i rode out heading for fuel station as my light was on but stated i had 53kms to go before nothing left , hit 3rd gear and it started missing i was out of fuel , i agree this is not acceptable , yes the gauge was low and yes i needed fuel but 53 kms is a fair way , enough to get the higher quality juice from  a decent servo.

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2013, 12:01:37 PM »

As long as you always fill the tank exactly the same, and ride under the exact same conditions with the same fuel, and don't vary from those things, then the 1950's tripmeter method might be OK.  Only thing is, back when that was the only method available we also had that handy dandy 1 gallon reserve on the petcock so if we didn't remember to reset the tripmeter, or didn't get the tank completely filled, or rode hard into a headwind so our tripmeter method was way off, we still didn't run out of gas because we had the reserve.  OK, now lets move to the modern fuel injected era.  There is no reserve fuel supply, so if your estimation using the tripmeter is off you could easily be either pushing your 700-900 pound bike down the side of the road, or sitting on the side of the road waiting for a road service truck with a can of gas.  Not so romantic or fun these days, is it?

Get the gauge fixed.  There is no excuse for an inaccurate gauge, and just because it's a motorcycle doesn't make an accurate gauge impossible to achieve.  As I said before, as long as the majority of Harley riders let Harley screw them over on this issue, Harley will be more than happy to let things go along just as they are.  If your dealer says it can't be fixed or adjusted, tell them they are FOS and then contact the MoCo.  File a complaint on the NHTSA website, since it's a safety related defect.  Raise a little hell.  If enough of you do it, something will change.

Jerry

There's more to it than just the gauge.   :)
Do it now!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2013, 12:30:19 PM »

There's more to it than just the gauge.   :)

Yup, it sounds like some are also experiencing a fuel pickup problem.  Once again my advice is the same, don't accept it, demand they fix it.  If you have fuel starvation problems with a half gallon of gas still remaining in the tank, that isn't normal or acceptable either.   

Jerry

cvo1717

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2013 CVO BREAKOUT BLACK SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 CVO FATBOB BLACK DENIM HELLFIRE FLAMES TRADED IN
    • CVO3: 2020 CVO street glide
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2013, 09:51:38 PM »

I am picking my black diamond up saturday what should I tell the dealer to check so I do not have this problem with the gage
Mike
2013 CVO BREAKOUT 117 KIT
ROSAS HEADS WOODS TW 8-6 CAM
RB RACING 2 INTO 1 PROSTOCK CHALLENGE PIPE
130 HP  134 TQ STD
126 hp   131 TQ SAE

Layin the Pipe

• Drill baby drill!
  • Senior CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2013, 09:56:25 PM »

Not sure the dealer would know what to check. Not an isolated incident so might be something that requires a recall.

wpk

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2013, 03:51:55 PM »

Yes!  My fuel light came on.  I checked the range, which said 32 miles.  But it started sputtering then stalled twice at lights.  Fortunate to have had a gas station at the 2nd light.  Filled up close to 5gal and all was fine.  Questioned dealer tech...said the gauge will "get more accurate over time".  Never heard that before.

wpk

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2013, 03:57:39 PM »

I noticed your comment re having the daymaker intalled at the shop.  I ordered one and thought it was plug-and-play, and was just going to do it myself.  Just curious...is ther something more complicated?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2013, 05:33:09 PM »

Yes!  My fuel light came on.  I checked the range, which said 32 miles.  But it started sputtering then stalled twice at lights.  Fortunate to have had a gas station at the 2nd light.  Filled up close to 5gal and all was fine.  Questioned dealer tech...said the gauge will "get more accurate over time".  Never heard that before.

Typical Harley dealership BS.  The gauge itself won't change over time, nor will the setting for the low fuel light.  The only thing that MIGHT change is the miles to empty display, since that's a calculated number that assumes a lot of things you can't really assume.

I believe your tank is a 5.0 gallon tank, so if you were able to add nearly 5.0 gallons immediately after the low fuel light came on, the gauge sending unit is most likely improperly adjusted or bent.  If I remember correctly they usually design the low fuel lights to come on with about .9 gallons of fuel remaining.

Jerry

CVO Germany

• CVO1: CVO Breakout 2013
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2013, 01:27:12 PM »

Just happend that I run out of fuel! lol, remaining km on the tacho was 38 !! (about 20 miles). Dont trust the gauge anymore!
Jeder ist sein eigener Hüter !

mad cow

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2013, 01:55:48 PM »

Happened to me two weeks ago.  Left the garage with a range of 22 miles on the clock.  Went about 4 miles before it started cutting out.  It would sputter, I would grab a little front brake and the engine would catch again to get up to 60 mph.  Did that every mile for the next 7 miles before I coasted into a gas station.  Well, now I know.

Bretto

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSBSE - Red ones go faster!
    • Rockhampton HOG
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2013, 06:07:36 PM »

Why do people insist on running there bike to the low level light? Great way to suck up any crap that is laying in the bottom of the tank.

I could count on one hand how many times i had that light come on my Fatbob over the 35000km I rode on it. After 200 odd kms I'm looking for a break so I stop, stretch and refuel.
Cheers
Brett

2013 FXSBSE with ProCharger - Giddy Up!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2013, 07:08:02 PM »

Why do people insist on running there bike to the low level light? Great way to suck up any crap that is laying in the bottom of the tank.

I could count on one hand how many times i had that light come on my Fatbob over the 35000km I rode on it. After 200 odd kms I'm looking for a break so I stop, stretch and refuel.

The pickup (with filter) rests on the bottom of the tank, it doesn't "float" with the gauge float.  So it's unlikely you will suck up any more crap lying on the bottom of the tank when the fuel level is low than you would if the fuel level was high.  Other than that, I agree, running the fuel down to empty isn't a great idea.  The reason however is two fold.  First, running out of gas tends to ruin your ride and your day.  Second, the fuel pump is lubricated and cooled by the fuel.  Running the tank empty can damage the pump.

Of course none of this has anything to do with whether or not the gauge should be accurate.  Absolutely the gauge should be accurate, and you shouldn't run out of fuel with the gauge still showing fuel available.  But of course it's up to each person if they want to accept a lousy gauge and let Harley off the hook.  I guarantee very few would accept the same thing on their car or truck; why is it they accept it on a Harley?

Jerry

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Softail Breakout - Black Diamond & Molten Silver
    • CVO2: Gone but not forgotten: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible - Roman Gold & Maple Metallic
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2013, 07:13:06 PM »

When I recently had my new pipes put on in conjunction with the SE tuner, the dealer had to wait for a download (via CD) from the moco.  Apparently the 13's needed a software tweak.  Last week i ran the breakout to about 60 miles remaining and there were no issues.  Coincidence?
The only difference between a mad man and myself is that I am not mad.  I'm not suffering from insanity, I rather enjoy it.

Bretto

• Senior CVO Member

• Rockhampton HOG
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2013, 09:35:51 AM »

Jerry I couldn't give two f$%*s about the fuel gauge compared to the error in the speedo. GPS 100km/h Breakout 107km/h!
Cheers
Brett

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2013, 11:05:09 AM »

Jerry I couldn't give two f$%*s about the fuel gauge compared to the error in the speedo. GPS 100km/h Breakout 107km/h!

Unfortunately that's not something you can make them fix.  Standards for speedo's are such that they cheat to the high side to avoid reading low.  Reading too low can get you a traffic summons, whereas reading too high doesn't.  And of course Harley doesn't believe in tight tolerances, since they often cost more than the plus or minus whatever the supplier ships they usually tolerate.  Of course if it bothers you you can fix it; it's pretty easy with the right tuning package.  As the tires wear though you'll have to tweak it a bit if you expect perfection.

As for the fuel gauge, glad you don't give a f$%* (or two).  Obviously a lot of other people do, or the several threads on the site bitching about the gauge wouldn't exist.  Oh, btw, I forgot in my last post to mention reason number three.  Running out of gas and stalling while running down the road is also a safety issue.  Try it in the middle lane of a packed freeway running at high speed some day.  If you survive the experience, perhaps then you will give a f$%* about a lousy fuel gauge. :nixweiss:

Jerry

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2013, 07:55:26 PM »

10% error based on GPS indication.  Assuming that the GPS is 100% correct.  What is the margin of error for the civilian GPS units?  Hmmm?
Do it now!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2013, 08:04:37 PM »

10% error based on GPS indication.  Assuming that the GPS is 100% correct.  What is the margin of error for the civilian GPS units?  Hmmm?

I've never seen a report on the margin of error for the speed calculation, but the standard margin of error for civilian GPS for location, according to the Defense Department, is about eight meters. 

Jerry

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2013, 08:58:20 PM »

I've never seen a report on the margin of error for the speed calculation, but the standard margin of error for civilian GPS for location, according to the Defense Department, is about eight meters. 

Jerry

So, let's assume that it can be 8 meters plus or minus and 8 meters is about 25 feet (more or less).  2 X 25 = 50 feet. That comes to about 1% of a mile.  If there is no cumulative effect the GPS should/could be a more accurate indication of speed.  Please check my math.  I'm not what I used to be.   :)
Do it now!

Bretto

• Senior CVO Member

• Rockhampton HOG
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2013, 12:43:49 AM »

As for the fuel gauge, glad you don't give a f$%* (or two).  Obviously a lot of other people do, or the several threads on the site bitching about the gauge wouldn't exist.  Oh, btw, I forgot in my last post to mention reason number three.  Running out of gas and stalling while running down the road is also a safety issue.  Try it in the middle lane of a packed freeway running at high speed some day.  If you survive the experience, perhaps then you will give a f$%* about a lousy fuel gauge. :nixweiss:

Jerry

Jerry if your in the above situation and you dont know how much fuel you have left and relying on a light to tell you when you need to refuel... Seems unrealistic to me unless you stumble through life with no planning or forethought.  ??? 
Cheers
Brett

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2013, 09:02:05 AM »

:'(
Do it now!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2013, 09:58:54 AM »

Jerry if your in the above situation and you dont know how much fuel you have left and relying on a light to tell you when you need to refuel... Seems unrealistic to me unless you stumble through life with no planning or forethought.  ??? 

Why are you so eager to bash folks who expect their Harley to actually work properly?  If you are happy letting Milwaukee bend you over, so be it.  That doesn't mean everyone else should follow your lead.  In the real world, as opposed to the world of Harley, fuel gauges are calibrated to be slightly pessimistic (read slightly lower than reality at the low end).  Doing it the other way is a problem.  Why let Harley do it to you? 

Jerry

skullplant

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE Road Glide CVO-Red Pepper
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2013, 10:46:08 AM »

Why are you so eager to bash folks who expect their Harley to actually work properly?  If you are happy letting Milwaukee bend you over, so be it.  That doesn't mean everyone else should follow your lead.  In the real world, as opposed to the world of Harley, fuel gauges are calibrated to be slightly pessimistic (read slightly lower than reality at the low end).  Doing it the other way is a problem.  Why let Harley do it to you? 

Jerry

Agreed!! That being said, has anyone ever brought a fuel gauge problem to the MOCO and actually had someone do something about it? I've had fuel gauge inaccuracies a number of times. Always get the same old "they're all like that". Maybe I'm not persistent enough, but I've always grown tired of waiting for answers and just dealt with it.

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2013, 10:47:52 AM »

You pay through the nose for add ons like low fuel lights, the biggest problem I see is folks who don't stand up and say "your stuff is crap, make sure it works or don't charge me extra for it!"...

Wouldn't you complain about your Big Mac if it was missing the "special sauce" or if it was not up to par?

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2013, 12:26:51 PM »

Most likely if you are interested in improving the product the complains need to go to customer service at the corporate level.  The dealer is measured on sales and revenue not being our ambassadors.  I know that they represent the MOCO but bottom line comes first.  They didn't engineer the products.  They have to live with it and service it even though they don't have answers that make us happy.  I'm not defending the dealerships it's just the real world. JMO
Do it now!

kb1

« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2013, 03:53:17 PM »

This is obviously a defect and needs to be recalled mine did exactly the same

Bretto

• Senior CVO Member

• Rockhampton HOG
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2013, 04:26:46 AM »

Do we really expect a recall? I doubt it.

Yes I would love a perfect fuel gauge but in this case my concern is people relying on a gauge before having any thought that they made need fuel in the next XXXkms/miles. What did we do in the ole days before fuel gauges...
Cheers
Brett

clembo

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
Faulty gas gauge
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2013, 05:47:54 AM »

My gas gauge showed two bars - half full. As I rode out of my driveway and down the road the bike started to sputter. I stopped and made it back home. Tank was dry. :o

I guess I should have tracked the miles per tank, but I trust the gauges on new bikes and don't do that anymore.

I am taking the bike in tonight for pipes and a tuner, I'll have them look at it. Has anyone else had a problem?

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Faulty gas gauge
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2013, 07:17:41 AM »

I think the last bar is nothing.  When I get to 2 bars, I usually just fill up. 

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Faulty gas gauge
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2013, 10:16:30 AM »

My gas gauge showed two bars - half full. As I rode out of my driveway and down the road the bike started to sputter. I stopped and made it back home. Tank was dry. :o

I guess I should have tracked the miles per tank, but I trust the gauges on new bikes and don't do that anymore.

I am taking the bike in tonight for pipes and a tuner, I'll have them look at it. Has anyone else had a problem?
I merged your thread w/an existing thread regarding this issue you may want to read the previous posts concerning this topic.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2013, 09:43:30 PM »

I'm not sure they make one for the Breakout, but I put Dakota Digital gauges on my FLHXSE3 and after calibration, the fuel gauge is dead on accurate.  The stock gauge was off by more than a gallon and hard to see to boot.

Cowboy
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

KLB0

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2013, 12:05:32 AM »

Mine seems to be spot on.  I only know this because of some miscalculations on solo rides on unknown roads.  I found myself 12 miles into the last bar, trip computer saying only 25 miles left and I put 4.25 gal in the tank.  This is my first motorcycle with a gauge and still won't rely on it completely. 
2013 FXSBSE Black Diamond Molten Silver, VH Shortshot Staggered pipes, Power Vision tuner, Shotgun Shock,  Todd's 10" apes

BeeCVOBreakOut

• Junior CVO Member
  • Breakout and say no to baggers.
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2013, 12:29:24 AM »

My warning light comes on with about 30 or so miles left on the range...depending on how much fuel the bike is consuming at the time due to load and speed. I've had a theory beaten into me from my military days: Always top off when fuel is made available.
A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
 Lao Tzu

If I needed a fairing, windshield, stereo and storage space, I would drive my car. Break out and just say no to bags.

clembo

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2013, 05:57:04 AM »

Update - The dealer found the problem, a sensor was bad, one had to be ordered. I guess it has happened on other Breakouts.

Also - They put on the SE Tuner and V&H Big Radius 2x2 pipes, huge difference! The sound is loud, maybe a bit too much, but it does finally sound great. The performce improvement is great, the bike seems to react much more quickly to throttle changes, it is nice.

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2013, 01:02:00 PM »

Update - The dealer found the problem, a sensor was bad, one had to be ordered. I guess it has happened on other Breakouts.

Also - They put on the SE Tuner and V&H Big Radius 2x2 pipes, huge difference! The sound is loud, maybe a bit too much, but it does finally sound great. The performce improvement is great, the bike seems to react much more quickly to throttle changes, it is nice.

Ah, good to hear...thanks very much for letting everybody know........I need to get mine to the dealer, but finding a time when I can let it drop to 30 or so miles left, get it on the trailer and over to them has been a real pain....been riding a lot, so like others have said...it drops to half full, I fill it up....I will probably get this done in late fall/early winter...

And yes, you are so correct.  improved throttle response is reason alone to get a fuel manager for this bike....the drive-by-wire throttle on this bike in stock form stinks up the joint in a BIG way....simply awful...

The 2:2's are certainly loud, but for me they are right at the edge of not being obnoxious...they look beautiful dropping down in front of the back wheel too...

kb1

« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2013, 02:38:12 AM »

ive had the same problem dealer says he has not heard of it , but i cant see how cause it seems to be common as.
the price we pay for these it should be sorted out

Superpotminer

• SK

• CVO1: 2013 FXSBSE
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2013, 11:32:50 AM »

Had this happen to me yesterday. Planned my refuel stops in advance, thought I would have about 50 km's showing as remaining when I would stop to refuel so I wasn't concerned. I was about 2.5 km's from my fuel stop and the gauge was showing 33 km's remaining, I was going about 125 km/hr on the freeway and just passed a semi.  Breakout lost power momentarily, I said WTF! Slowed down to about 105km/hr making sure I didn't get run over by the semi I just passed (speed limit is 110km/hr). Engine stalled as I turned off the highway onto the road to the fuel station, managed to restart as I was coasting and ran on fumes to the pumps about 300 metres!  Glad the bay was open! No one there knew how clinched the old sphincter was!
I will talk to the dealer today and see what they have to say, not really expecting much. ::)

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2013, 12:20:02 PM »

Had this happen to me yesterday. Planned my refuel stops in advance, thought I would have about 50 km's showing as remaining when I would stop to refuel so I wasn't concerned. I was about 2.5 km's from my fuel stop and the gauge was showing 33 km's remaining, I was going about 125 km/hr on the freeway and just passed a semi.  Breakout lost power momentarily, I said WTF! Slowed down to about 105km/hr making sure I didn't get run over by the semi I just passed (speed limit is 110km/hr). Engine stalled as I turned off the highway onto the road to the fuel station, managed to restart as I was coasting and ran on fumes to the pumps about 300 metres!  Glad the bay was open! No one there knew how clinched the old sphincter was!
I will talk to the dealer today and see what they have to say, not really expecting much. ::)

wow, that's almost my exact story....It happened to me as I was in the left lane passing on the intersated at 75-80mph....that is a scary feeling when you lose power, no one knows it except for the fact that you slow down rapidly, and on the interstate, that's a serious problem.

Like most company's nowadays, HD really doesn't give a flip about you after they cash your check, so you have to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt there is a problem.  Once someone gets hurt or killed on a CVO due to this problem, suddenly, they will become concerned...

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2013, 04:42:52 PM »

Never trust a fuel gauge on a motorcycle....fill it when you get a chance and never try to run it down close....use your odometer as your fuel gauge, it's more accurate.  ;) spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

lrdean

• NY

• CVO1: 2013 Black Diamond, Molten Silver, Crushed Slate Graphics
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2014, 02:21:42 PM »

My 2013 CVO Brakeout had the same problem the moment the gas light came on I was out of gas. At the 1000 service i told the Service manager she advised it's not reparable and ordered a new gauge. Its the new Millennium there's no reserve switch the new gas gauge was covered under warranty.

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2014, 01:46:10 PM »

Never trust a fuel gauge on a motorcycle....fill it when you get a chance and never try to run it down close....use your odometer as your fuel gauge, it's more accurate.  ;) spyder

Agreed!  What's so hard with resetting one of the trip meters and watching it.  Once you get to what ever mileage you have calculated from a few fill ups you will know just when you may need to look for a gas station.  It's not a car it's a motorcycle!
Do it now!
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 21 queries.