Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18

Author Topic: Front Speaker replacements  (Read 22800 times)

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
Re: Front Speaker replacements
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2005, 08:54:26 AM »

With the ohms of the stock vs hogtunes being different does that create any problems?
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2005, 11:50:20 AM »

With the ohms of the stock vs hogtunes being different does that create any problems?

I asked that question of Pez via email before ordering.  Was told not an issue with his speakers.  I was in a hurry at the time and didn't ask why; if there was a different model speaker or if his product's impedance was ok for other reasons.  But he said it was going to be ok and I took him at his word.  Got to admit, it would suck royally to blow an amp in that gawdawful expensive radio later because the Hogtunes speakers turned out to be an issue.

Laker

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2005, 12:36:14 PM »

If that happened I think Pez would stand behind his product. Besides, you could just throw the stock speakers back in there and get it taken care of under the warranty. (Did I just say that? Oops, please disregard. I would never do anything like that.)  [smiley=laugh.gif]

Elvis

• Senior CVO Member
  • Rent This Space  
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2005, 01:08:03 PM »

I asked that question of Pez via email before ordering.

RRSteve

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2005, 03:34:18 PM »

I have them on mine and no problem so far. The Hogtunes speakers are 6 Ohm which is not enough difference to cause a problem imho.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 03:34:45 PM by RRSteve »

Elvis

• Senior CVO Member
  • Rent This Space  
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2005, 07:59:01 PM »

So maybe a silly question but I gotta ask.  Coming from a Road King, not real knowledgeable on fairings, so maybe this is normal...I am hearing like a tremelo or wah, wah, wah type sound on my stereo at speed....wind?  Not sure, cuz when I move my head forward towards the fairing and out of the wind, I still hear it.  Have had it in twice in 2 weeks for this, first time...new left speaker...no change....just got it back again after they said the 'ground on the stator was loose' and it still does it.....frustrated......maybe that's just the best sound ya get from the stereo at 70 mph and up...?  You guys hear tunes great at speed or am I just expecting too much?

elvis

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2005, 08:49:48 PM »

So maybe a silly question but I gotta ask.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2005, 09:08:39 PM »

Got my Hogtune speakers in today. Went out into the garage to put them on my scoot and my scoot wasn't there! Opps, forgot it hasn't made it here yet so I placed speakers on the "To Do" list along with the other $5,000 in accessories.

If my bike doesn't get here soon I'm going to run out of money and won't be able to buy it whan it finally does arrive! Has anyone tried hanging big dice from your rearview mirrors yet? [smiley=nixweiss.gif] Just wondering.

See Ya's,  JR [smiley=laugh.gif]

pezsez

• Junior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2005, 10:38:22 PM »

OK You Guys-here goes............(some of you may have already seen a similar explanation)

I am very confident the Moco radio can run a 4 ohm load--for this example -8 ohms is "the lightest load" 4 ohms is the "heaviest load", and 6 ohms is in the middle. For reference Zero ohms is the heaviset possible "load" which is AKA a dead short.

Lets say the Moco radio is a 5 ton truck, and the normal day to day "load" you put in it is a 1 ton (8 ohm ) load. The truck really doesnt have to develop that much power, the engine runs cool and the truck works away almost if there is no load at all. For this part--the speaker is soooo "light" at 8 ohms, it doesnt play loud as the radio doesnt have to develop that much power---for 8 ohms, the "give" is performance, but high reliability.

To the other "extreme" in this anaolgy, lets say you put 5 tons (4 ohms) on that same 5 ton truck. The motor "has" to make more power cause its moving a much larger load. The engine runs hotter, the fuel effeciency goes down,  but since the 5 ton truck is made for a 5 ton load--all is OK, and all is  fairly reliable. In this case, the radio has to move the heaviest load its made for, so its making more power (watts), so it plays louder. This comes at the expense of a higher current draw from the electrical system, and the radio will heat up more--so high performance--sacrificing SOME reliability.

Then there is right in the middle--a 3 ton load (6 ohms). The motor makes very reliable power to move the heavier load, the fuel economy is fair and the truck can run all day, have lots of "passing power, and hill climbing power" at hand. This middle ground doesnt strain the electrical as much as the 5 ton (4 ohm) load, the radio stays cooler, but there are more watts available to make the speakers play louder--avery happy medium between performance and reliability.

If you think of the ohms as a load--it does get easy. For those who want to take it one step further--on a speaker, the ohms are non-linear---just like a horsepower curve, a 100hp motor is not 100 HP at all RPM's. The ohms that he speaker shows the amp (radio in this case) changes radically depending on the frequency it is playing.

In the case of HOGTUNES, the ohms "swing" as low as 4.5 ohms, and as high as 25 ohms, but I still rate them at 5.75 (aka 6.0) ohms To go one step further--as the speaker heats up, the load naturally gets higher (even easier for the radio to "move" so everything becomes even MORE reliable).

I hope the analagy isnt too wacko to understand, but it really should help people get beyond the mystery of OHMS.

PEZ
If the whole world was smart, us guys with half a brain would be in real trouble!

BadAss2

• Senior CVO Member
  • 14 years and still got her
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2005, 03:27:34 AM »

Need the bass. Ordered mine yesterday. Thanks PEZ for the analogy.
FLHTCSE2 Candy Cherry
6 speed tranny,regeared primary and secondary,
SE slip on pipes, K&M Kit, remap ECM
Chrome - inner primary, starter, front calipers, thunderstar sprocket, headlamp and signal light trim, all chrome bolt kits
L

BadAss2

• Senior CVO Member
  • 14 years and still got her
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2005, 03:41:26 AM »

Got my Hogtune speakers in today. Went out into the garage to put them on my scoot and my scoot wasn't there! Opps, forgot it hasn't made it here yet so I placed speakers on the "To Do" list along with the other $5,000 in accessories.

If my bike doesn't get here soon I'm going to run out of money and won't be able to buy it whan it finally does arrive! Has anyone tried hanging big dice from your rearview mirrors yet? [smiley=nixweiss.gif] Just wondering.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 03:42:36 AM by Bad_Ass_2 »
FLHTCSE2 Candy Cherry
6 speed tranny,regeared primary and secondary,
SE slip on pipes, K&M Kit, remap ECM
Chrome - inner primary, starter, front calipers, thunderstar sprocket, headlamp and signal light trim, all chrome bolt kits
L

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2005, 09:42:54 AM »

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2005, 02:32:48 PM »

Thanks for the explaination on ohms its clear to me now.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Cabo

• Senior CVO Member
  • OWOF

• CVO1: 04 FLHTCSE(Sold)
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2005, 05:11:21 PM »

I think I got the ohms thing too..something about a 100hp 5 ton truck in my fairing that is warm and reliable [smiley=7.gif]  

But really thanks for the explanation.
2015 CVO™ ROAD GLIDE® ULTRA
04 FLHTCSE(Sold)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2005, 09:18:56 PM »

I think I got the ohms thing too..something about a 100hp 5 ton truck in my fairing that is warm and reliable [smiley=7.gif]
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 21 queries.