Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Breakout owners: How's the handlebar from a comfort and handling perspective?  (Read 6433 times)

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Softail Breakout - Black Diamond & Molten Silver
    • CVO2: Gone but not forgotten: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible - Roman Gold & Maple Metallic

It sorta looks like a modified beach bar, which to me, isn't the best for cruising speeds above 70 mph.  Almost looks like drag bars would look killer on this bike.  I really want to put the mini Z bars on from my FLSTSE2 . . .but who knows, the stock Breakout bar might be best for this bike.
The only difference between a mad man and myself is that I am not mad.  I'm not suffering from insanity, I rather enjoy it.

Dobeman2000

• Senior CVO Member
  • His and Hers

• CVO1: 2013 Red Breakout
    • CVO2: 2013 Gold Breakout

I like them better than the stock bars that came on my CVO springer, slightly more inward (more comfortable).  I would still prefer some mini apes.

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout-crimson red
    • CVO2: 2012 V-Rod/10th Anniversary edition..well it SHOULD have been a CVO!

From a handling standpoint, I am very glad they did not put mini-apes on this bike.  While they might look good in some cases, IMO, they are never a good choice for a good handling bike.  I like the bars on the Breakout.  I think they strike a perfect balance between drag bars, which would require a pretty good forward and low stretch for a lot of people, and more of a beach bar as was mentioned.  The result, for me, is a slightly forward position, taking pressure off the back, while still being a very comfortable height and width of the bars.

I have only ridden a bike with drag bars that were on a V-Rod, so i can't really make a judgement of how they would work on the Breakout...

I have ridden mine on a 30 mile or so expressway trip at 75-80 mph sustained speeds, and I was totally impressed with the handling compared to my 2008 Softail FXSTC with mini-apes....my arms are low and further down on the bike, and the overall package does not have as much "float" as my 2008 does(best way I can describe the sensation).  I think a lot of the "float" I feel at speed on my 2008 is the narrow front tire....it does a lot of hunting over the pavement on interstates, and the faster the speed, the more I notice it.  I'm not sure if it's the wider track on the front of the Breakout, the lower overall height of the bike, or the wider tire itself, but that just does not exist on the Breakout.

It was really a noticeable difference to me, and a much improved one...
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount
2012 10th Anniversary V-Rod, TAB slash-cut exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 Pro Tuner

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Softail Breakout - Black Diamond & Molten Silver
    • CVO2: Gone but not forgotten: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible - Roman Gold & Maple Metallic

Thanks for the reply!  I rotated my mini apes downward so it is a much more comfortable and different riding position.  Gotta see if it can be used since the instrument light cluster is there...  Can't wait to get mine!
The only difference between a mad man and myself is that I am not mad.  I'm not suffering from insanity, I rather enjoy it.

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout-crimson red
    • CVO2: 2012 V-Rod/10th Anniversary edition..well it SHOULD have been a CVO!

Thanks for the reply!  I rotated my mini apes downward so it is a much more comfortable and different riding position.  Gotta see if it can be used since the instrument light cluster is there...  Can't wait to get mine!

the instrument cluster is VERY cool....turns a nice amber color when it gets dark.  and finally, a cluster I can look at w/o lowering my head to see it...I have no clue why HD still puts the cluster on the tank on standard production bikes....

and being able to flip through the items on the console with a switch on the left grip is so much better than the push button on the console like the standard production bikes...the only downside is getting used to the fact that the horn is now shared with somthing else on the switch.  A couple of times I tried to hit the horn, but flipped up on the switch instead of down   :confused5:
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount
2012 10th Anniversary V-Rod, TAB slash-cut exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 Pro Tuner

Layin the Pipe

• Drill baby drill!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FXSBSE Hard Candy Gold Dust/Liquid Sun

I've only been able to put 50 miles on my bike due to weather, but so far a very comfortable ride!
You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas! - Davy Crockett

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 21 queries.