Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Whips  (Read 7049 times)

Bowman1836

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 cvo street glide
Whips
« on: December 01, 2012, 12:49:25 PM »

Ok I'm just wanting to get some info. I just recently figured out what these biker whips are and are used for. How many on this site use a biker whip and any pics of them on your bike ? Also why do you have it ? Thanks

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
Re: Whips
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 01:36:36 PM »

Bowman,

I must not get to "Town" enough, fill me in on what you are talking about?

Cowboy
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 01:42:05 PM »

Old-School "Getback" Biker Whip (click the link to see examples) - There's a history behind these old-school biker or "getback" whips. Back in the day, you'd see bikers sporting whips - hanging from their clutch or brake levers as they rode. The leather whips were usually made from the biker's club colors - to display their colors and for club recognition. But the whips were a whole lot more than just leather club colors. A biker whip could be quickly released and used "in case of emergency."

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 02:02:26 PM »

Kind of reminds me of this setup.....

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 02:24:20 PM »

I rode a friends bike once that had those hanging from the lever's and let me tell you how painful they were when going 80 mph down the road and they were whipping back and smacking me on the arms.  If you're into these.., than you must be into pain also.   :'( :o :P
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 02:25:12 PM »

A couple years ago I had an old schooler show up for a Ride Like A Pro West Coast class put here in LA with one of those whip things on his dresser. i suggested he take it off for safety. He said those things are designed to break free if pulled on and added that since he rides with it all the time he wanted to take the course with it. So I let him be. He was a good rider, however during one of u-turn the exercises that whip got caught under his floorboard and pulled him right over. He tumbled and did a shoulder roll and the bike was ALL the way over. He was okay except for a scuff on his helmet but the fairing on his dresser was gouged up and mirror was broken along with the tip of his brake lever. The top of his front brake master cycliner was all chewed up too. I calculated about $1,500 in damages. He removed the whip for the remainder of the class and rode without any problems. However just before he left the range at the end of class he reinstalled it.

Some folks are going to do exactly what they are going to do.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 02:27:32 PM »

I rode a friends bike once that had those hanging from the lever's and let me tell you how painful they were when going 80 mph down the road and they were whipping back and smacking me on the arms.  If you're into these.., than you must be into pain also.   :'( :o :P
Reminds me of a statement I've heard...

"Sticks and stones will break my bones, but whips and chains excite me" :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

UAV Pilot

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 07:53:11 AM »

I have a very clear opinion of these whips.  I am sure ALL of us here drive automobiles as well as very expensive motorcycles.  If I am in my car or truck (both as expensive or more than my CVO) and I accidentally get too close, or am perceived as getting too close, and some moron pulls out a whip and hits my vehicle with it.........game on!!!   You want to talk about escalation of violence.  That would do it for me. Also, if someone pulls a whip and hits someone talking on a cell phone and startles them, whats to say they wont overcorrect and either wreck themselves, the person in the next lane, or the biker who started the whole thing! Sure, if you want to decorate your bike with one fine, I think they are a safety hazard, but to each his own, but to try and use it as a back-off device, dangerous!  Better to roll off throttle a bit and give the person more room.  Besides that, in Texas, we are all packing heat and you never know if the person in the vehicle that just pulled into your lane is a hothead or now may be in fear of their own life, which is defensible in court.     I told you I have a very clear (strong) opinion.
Better to Remain Silent and Thought a Fool, Than To Open One's Mouth and Remove All Doubt......Abraham Lincoln

grayghost731

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Built For ME! Love My Fatboy CVO

• CVO1: FLSTFSE Platinum Mist&Slate 102.81 HP 113.47 Torque
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 08:09:24 AM »

I have a very clear opinion of these whips.  I am sure ALL of us here drive automobiles as well as very expensive motorcycles.  If I am in my car or truck (both as expensive or more than my CVO) and I accidentally get too close, or am perceived as getting too close, and some moron pulls out a whip and hits my vehicle with it.........game on!!!   You want to talk about escalation of violence.  That would do it for me. Also, if someone pulls a whip and hits someone talking on a cell phone and startles them, whats to say they wont overcorrect and either wreck themselves, the person in the next lane, or the biker who started the whole thing! Sure, if you want to decorate your bike with one fine, I think they are a safety hazard, but to each his own, but to try and use it as a back-off device, dangerous!  Better to roll off throttle a bit and give the person more room.  Besides that, in Texas, we are all packing heat and you never know if the person in the vehicle that just pulled into your lane is a hothead or now may be in fear of their own life, which is defensible in court.     I told you I have a very clear (strong) opinion.

I have same opinion    ;)    Plus they look pretty cheesy.  Whipping at a car is not a good idea in DETROIT or any place else for that matter,  Like they say in our city... If your looking for trouble,You will find it here   :nixweiss:   Just give me a reason  :coolblue:

SupDude

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 08:34:52 AM »

Here's my 96 Fatboy.  I bought the whip at the Redwood Run 4 years ago.  I only use it for looks.  I would never use it to bust out a window or injure anyone.

2013 CVO Road Glide Anniversary

ultrarider123

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 09:27:43 AM »

No whip (sounds like I'm ordering at Starbucks... ;D).  Always wondered what the facination was with those danglies on the handlebars but to each his/her own.  Never put them on my bikes but for years carried a small bag of ball bearings for protection...now I just carry.

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 07:13:03 PM »

No whip (sounds like I'm ordering at Starbucks... ;D).  Always wondered what the facination was with those danglies on the handlebars but to each his/her own.  Never put them on my bikes but for years carried a small bag of ball bearings for protection...now I just carry.

:ROFLOL: :rifle:  Same here Howard.., Amen
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 09:03:12 AM »

I use to carry D cell batteries in my windshield bag.  Now I too just carry
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

anglia48

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 12:22:01 PM »

In Canada we can't carry. So yes, each to his own. I have a whip and have had it for 5 years. Havent come close to needing to use it, but just in case it's there. When I ride in the states, NO way would I use it. Kinda like taking a knife to a gun fight.  :nixweiss:

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 12:32:32 PM »

Am I missing something??   I only use my whip for when the BSR complains or misbehaves.   :nixweiss:   :nixweiss:

:huepfenlol2:   :huepfenlol2:  :oops:   :huepfenlol2:   :huepfenlol2: 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.