Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10  All

Author Topic: Billy Lane hits a rider with his pick-up.  (Read 24046 times)

RedFXR2

Billy Lane hits a rider with his pick-up.
« on: September 05, 2006, 08:31:07 PM »

In a true twist of irony, chopper builder Billy Lane passes two cars illegally and hits a man on a motor scooter head on.  The rider is killed and Lane is injured.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060905/BREAKINGNEWS/60905003

What does everybody think?  Does this make Lane another Janklow?

Terrible tragedy, whatever opinions we all may have about fault and consequence.  I keep thinking that this shows it's not just cagers we have to watch out for.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Billy Lane hits a rider with his pick-up.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 08:44:37 PM »

A tragedy, yes........but not another Jankalow.  Jankalow was running stop signs at sixty to seventy miles an hour.  This is a sad situation regardless of who it was...... [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

RedFXR2

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 08:48:45 PM »

A tragedy, yes........but not another Jankalow.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 08:50:48 PM »

Does this make Lane another Janklow?

No facts in evidence to say either way.  Janklow was an unrepentent and self professed bad driver.  Almost enjoyed the fact that he did stupid stuff behind the wheel often.  If Lane's driving record is sketchy he may be the same kind of character.  Hell, we all now that being aggressive in one form of transportation often means being aggressive in all forms of transportation.

Seems like the only thing we know for sure is he was incredibly stupid and passed two cars against a double yellow line and ran over someone as a result.  We don't know if he just got word a parent was passing away in hospital so the rush may have seemed legitimage or if he's just another dumchit behind the wheel.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 09:16:36 PM »

This is a tragedy for the victim, his family and Billy Lane. No matter the outcome this is something Billy will have to deal with for the rest of his life. To be a motorcycle rider and to have something like this happen to you has to be one of the worst things that could happen. My prayers go out to the victim
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 09:19:22 PM »

Sad indeed for the remaining family. I'll hold judgement 'til I see more but WTF Billy? And Janklow was (is?) an arrogant prick who didn't get enough from the state.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 09:40:56 PM »

[highlight]This is a tragedy for the victim, his family and Billy Lane. No matter the outcome this is something Billy will have to deal with for the rest of his life. To be a motorcycle rider and to have something like this happen to you has to be one of the worst things that could happen[/highlight].

Yeah, what d00d said is right on. Shame for all concerned, but what a dumb chit thing to do passing like he did.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 09:41:15 PM by CVOJOE »
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

fxdjerry

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 10:33:33 PM »

I have passed the same way myself more than once and in different kinds of vehicles. I think I was more prone with the finely tuned SE because the deed could be accomplished quickly. I knew it was wrong. I tried to make sure I could do it safely. Stuff happens quick and nobody wanted to smack some dude on a scooter. The scooter dude was invisible. Outcome different if it was a cement truck? This is a lesson for me to have more patience and restraint when stuck behind a Winnebago or a couple of raisins in a Lincoln Town car or some SUV with five bicycles bungee corded to the back. One time a couple of folks dropped a canoe of their roof right in front of me while going down RTE 25 on my bike. I also need to remember not to hug the yellow line when I am rolling down the road.  It is a horror show without a doubt. Wouldn't know who to pray for if I did but I ain't got any stones to cast.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 12:07:27 AM »

Billy Lane has always been a pleasure to watch on the various shows, and his attitude has always been of the "common man". At least that is the persona he gave on TV and various functions I have seen.

But, he has been alleged to have driven recklessly and killed another driver with his actions. Passing two cars at once, crossing over a double yellow is reckless.

I'm sure if the victim was an family member we would all feel the same. Jail time is warranted.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 06:10:18 AM »

I guess we should wait for BAT to come back. Billy is known to tip a Corona or two. If he was impaired he should be fried.

At 9pm at night it is hard to say if he even saw the moped rider. Did the moped have running lights?  If not why was it on the road? Was the driver of the moped impaired? If so will charges be filed?

There are too many questions right now to place judgement on anyone. With the exception of the double yellow line.

I still feel sorry for everyone involved. Accidents do happen. God do I know that. And people will suffer regardless who is at fault.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2006, 06:50:59 AM »

Or JD at 0930 on a Sunday Morning in Winter at the Boston Bike show a couple of years ago...

I guess we should wait for BAT to come back. [highlight]Billy is known to tip a Corona or two[/highlight]. If he was impaired he should be fried.

At 9pm at night it is hard to say if he even saw the moped rider. Did the moped have running lights?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 06:51:33 AM by WFP »
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2006, 07:45:57 AM »

Or JD at 0930 on a Sunday Morning in Winter at the Boston Bike show a couple of years ago...

i hate to say it but my first thoughts were that alcohol was a factor, like DC said gotta wait and see if it was or wasnt. but the image of him portrayed on TV definatley would help him in the court of public opinion
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2006, 11:03:53 AM »

If alcohol was a significant factor in causing this accident verses merely poor judgment,   jail time followed by restitution to the family of the deceased gets my vote.  
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2006, 11:45:01 AM »

If it was one of us on this board that was driving we would still be in jail! He Passed two cars on a double yellow line and was NOT charged with anything as of yet! Awaiting a Blood test.  He should be fried!  [smiley=soapbox.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2006, 11:50:20 AM »

If it was one of us on this board that was driving we would still be in jail! He Passed two cars on a double yellow line and was NOT charged with anything as of yet! Awaiting a Blood test.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10  All

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 21 queries.