Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10 [All]

Author Topic: Billy Lane hits a rider with his pick-up.  (Read 24041 times)

RedFXR2

Billy Lane hits a rider with his pick-up.
« on: September 05, 2006, 08:31:07 PM »

In a true twist of irony, chopper builder Billy Lane passes two cars illegally and hits a man on a motor scooter head on.  The rider is killed and Lane is injured.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060905/BREAKINGNEWS/60905003

What does everybody think?  Does this make Lane another Janklow?

Terrible tragedy, whatever opinions we all may have about fault and consequence.  I keep thinking that this shows it's not just cagers we have to watch out for.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Billy Lane hits a rider with his pick-up.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 08:44:37 PM »

A tragedy, yes........but not another Jankalow.  Jankalow was running stop signs at sixty to seventy miles an hour.  This is a sad situation regardless of who it was...... [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

RedFXR2

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 08:48:45 PM »

A tragedy, yes........but not another Jankalow.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 08:50:48 PM »

Does this make Lane another Janklow?

No facts in evidence to say either way.  Janklow was an unrepentent and self professed bad driver.  Almost enjoyed the fact that he did stupid stuff behind the wheel often.  If Lane's driving record is sketchy he may be the same kind of character.  Hell, we all now that being aggressive in one form of transportation often means being aggressive in all forms of transportation.

Seems like the only thing we know for sure is he was incredibly stupid and passed two cars against a double yellow line and ran over someone as a result.  We don't know if he just got word a parent was passing away in hospital so the rush may have seemed legitimage or if he's just another dumchit behind the wheel.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 09:16:36 PM »

This is a tragedy for the victim, his family and Billy Lane. No matter the outcome this is something Billy will have to deal with for the rest of his life. To be a motorcycle rider and to have something like this happen to you has to be one of the worst things that could happen. My prayers go out to the victim
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 09:19:22 PM »

Sad indeed for the remaining family. I'll hold judgement 'til I see more but WTF Billy? And Janklow was (is?) an arrogant prick who didn't get enough from the state.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 09:40:56 PM »

[highlight]This is a tragedy for the victim, his family and Billy Lane. No matter the outcome this is something Billy will have to deal with for the rest of his life. To be a motorcycle rider and to have something like this happen to you has to be one of the worst things that could happen[/highlight].

Yeah, what d00d said is right on. Shame for all concerned, but what a dumb chit thing to do passing like he did.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 09:41:15 PM by CVOJOE »
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

fxdjerry

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 10:33:33 PM »

I have passed the same way myself more than once and in different kinds of vehicles. I think I was more prone with the finely tuned SE because the deed could be accomplished quickly. I knew it was wrong. I tried to make sure I could do it safely. Stuff happens quick and nobody wanted to smack some dude on a scooter. The scooter dude was invisible. Outcome different if it was a cement truck? This is a lesson for me to have more patience and restraint when stuck behind a Winnebago or a couple of raisins in a Lincoln Town car or some SUV with five bicycles bungee corded to the back. One time a couple of folks dropped a canoe of their roof right in front of me while going down RTE 25 on my bike. I also need to remember not to hug the yellow line when I am rolling down the road.  It is a horror show without a doubt. Wouldn't know who to pray for if I did but I ain't got any stones to cast.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 12:07:27 AM »

Billy Lane has always been a pleasure to watch on the various shows, and his attitude has always been of the "common man". At least that is the persona he gave on TV and various functions I have seen.

But, he has been alleged to have driven recklessly and killed another driver with his actions. Passing two cars at once, crossing over a double yellow is reckless.

I'm sure if the victim was an family member we would all feel the same. Jail time is warranted.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 06:10:18 AM »

I guess we should wait for BAT to come back. Billy is known to tip a Corona or two. If he was impaired he should be fried.

At 9pm at night it is hard to say if he even saw the moped rider. Did the moped have running lights?  If not why was it on the road? Was the driver of the moped impaired? If so will charges be filed?

There are too many questions right now to place judgement on anyone. With the exception of the double yellow line.

I still feel sorry for everyone involved. Accidents do happen. God do I know that. And people will suffer regardless who is at fault.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2006, 06:50:59 AM »

Or JD at 0930 on a Sunday Morning in Winter at the Boston Bike show a couple of years ago...

I guess we should wait for BAT to come back. [highlight]Billy is known to tip a Corona or two[/highlight]. If he was impaired he should be fried.

At 9pm at night it is hard to say if he even saw the moped rider. Did the moped have running lights?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 06:51:33 AM by WFP »
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2006, 07:45:57 AM »

Or JD at 0930 on a Sunday Morning in Winter at the Boston Bike show a couple of years ago...

i hate to say it but my first thoughts were that alcohol was a factor, like DC said gotta wait and see if it was or wasnt. but the image of him portrayed on TV definatley would help him in the court of public opinion
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2006, 11:03:53 AM »

If alcohol was a significant factor in causing this accident verses merely poor judgment,   jail time followed by restitution to the family of the deceased gets my vote.  
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2006, 11:45:01 AM »

If it was one of us on this board that was driving we would still be in jail! He Passed two cars on a double yellow line and was NOT charged with anything as of yet! Awaiting a Blood test.  He should be fried!  [smiley=soapbox.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2006, 11:50:20 AM »

If it was one of us on this board that was driving we would still be in jail! He Passed two cars on a double yellow line and was NOT charged with anything as of yet! Awaiting a Blood test.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2006, 12:09:04 PM »

That part troubled me too.

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
  • Born to be wild - well, for a few days at least
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2006, 12:11:22 PM »

Nicely put Brian

Dave
If you're not living on the edge - you're taking up too much room!

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2006, 12:35:43 PM »

2 comments....
one from the LE side of the house...it is not uncommon for a situation like this to not make a decision about booking the suspect until later; in all honesty they probably have not completed the detailed investigation that goes witha fatal traffic accident yet...  i saw a report saturday finally completed on a simple fatal that took about a month to complete.  Until the investigation is complete, no final thoughts on what to charge exist yet ( possibly).  If the suspect was obviously DUI, it might be handled differently ( I cant and wont speak for FL cops).  My gut: MR Lane didnt get special treatment, and if charges are filed he will get treated like everyone else.

My other comment...  about 2 years  ago I had opportunity to walk into Billy Lanes shop in Melbourne with a group of filthy, dirty;tired Soldiers who wanted to but a T-shirt.  It was closing time, and they unlocked the door,let our group in and ddnt rush them in the slightest.  after about 10 minutes, Billy came out and spent time taling to the Soldiers and encouraging them to sit on his expensive custom bikes and "get a feel for them".  He was as down to earth and humble as anyone I have met and would have sat there all night.  It was apretty neat moment for these young troops and one they wont soon forget.

This is a horrible, stupid "accident" { we dont use that term anymore here, they are "Traffic Crashes" }.  My heart goes out to all involved.  nothing can change what happened; but it is made any better or worse by the fact that "celebrity" is involved.  All we can do is all learn from this and all make smart decisions on 2 wheels or 4.
In the end, the system will run its course, and the outcome may or may not be fair.  

johnlee

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2006, 12:57:27 PM »

Here we go........Did the victim have a street legal machine, was he too small to see........ gee whiz Billy is a great guy..... Hey man he just killed someone and it could have been you. Why do you think there are double yellow lines and "no passing" zones? When you are driving up a grade and can't see over the hill I'll bet you hope some dummy isn't passing. Sorry man it isn't the point of a Billy Lane doing this. The point is it was done and some poor victim suffered. I don't care nothing about the celebrity status.

RedFXR2

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2006, 12:57:36 PM »

Follow-up article, with commentary from a witness (driver of one of the cars Lane was passing) and the victim's family.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060906/BREAKINGNEWS/60906018

Question for anybody that might know:  Why would a blood alcohol test take eight weeks to run?

RedFXR2

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2006, 02:26:13 PM »

Another news article:

http://www.wftv.com/news/9792681/detail.html

Florida State Troopers believe Lane was "impaired" (alcohol) at the time of the accident.  Won't be official unitl the BAT results come back from the lab.

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2006, 03:16:22 PM »

Follow-up article, with commentary from a witness (driver of one of the cars Lane was passing) and the victim's family.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060906/BREAKINGNEWS/60906018

Question for anybody that might know:
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 03:27:32 PM by cuthbertss »

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2006, 03:20:30 PM »

Here we go........Did the victim have a street legal machine, was he too small to see........ gee whiz Billy is a great guy..... Hey man he just killed someone and it could have been you. Why do you think there are double yellow lines and "no passing" zones? When you are driving up a grade and can't see over the hill I'll bet you hope some dummy isn't passing. Sorry man it isn't the point of a Billy Lane doing this. The point is it was done and some poor victim suffered. I don't care nothing about the celebrity status.
if this was directed at my post, i guess i should have been more clear.... the comments on how scenes are processed are in no way shape or form related to the comments of how the guy interacted with my Soldiers nor do they make excuses for anyone or blame the victim.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 03:20:56 PM by cuthbertss »

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2006, 03:28:32 PM »

Scott...I was probably wrong in my comment about his Drinking that happened a couple of years ago.  The same could be said about other's "Character Witness" comments that are positive...in the end, they are irrelavant to the facts in the case and give the appearance of defending or accusing someone before the facts are laid out regarding this incident where a rider was killed.

/Bill

if this was directed at my post, i guess i should have been more clear.... the comments on how scenes are processed are in no way shape or form related to the comments of how the guy interacted with my Soldiers nor do they make excuses for anyone or blame the victim.
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2006, 03:30:44 PM »

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2006, 03:52:18 PM »

Scott...I was probably wrong in my comment about his Drinking that happened a couple of years ago.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2006, 04:08:19 PM »

What a sad state of events.  :'( Highly intelligent, Engineer by Degree, Fame and Fortune.  All that don't matter to Booze.  It's no respector of any of those things.  Booze is a depressant.  This means it depresses, or pushes down, the part of our Brain which contains our emotions.  With emotions depressed, our inhibitions are released, thus, we embark upon activities we normally exclude ourselves from.  Unfortunately, one of these activities includes the high-speed operation of whatever kind of motor vehicle, of which we are in control, at the time.  All others excluded, it is an idiot, who gets behind the wheel of any motor-driven vehicle, under the influence of alcohol.  There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD      
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2006, 04:35:50 PM »

Very sad indeed for all involved and something Billy will have to deal with the rest of his life.  If alcohol was involved he should pay dearly.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2006, 04:39:25 PM »

What a sad state of events.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2006, 05:01:00 PM »

I guess you let your emotions get in the way of reading what folks have written. No one is excusing Billy's actions. No one is calling for easy treatment. In my post I was very clear that he has to be held accountable for his actions and pay whatever price society expects of him. I also was very clear that my heart went out to the victim's family. Having said all that and having met and had a few beers with Billy on my last three trips to Daytona I also pointed out that it's sad too that he has _ ucked up his own life. Please do yourself and us a favor in the future and read all of what people write before you go off on a rant. I reread every post on this thread and did not find a single one advocating any type of lieniency for Billy.

B B

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2006, 05:43:19 PM »

And frankly, seems to me the staties are doing the right thing by not filing charges yet. How often have we seen someone badly hurt or worse and all they get is a ticket which is paid before all the chit settles? Let process work and chips fall where they may. Then and only then might we have a chance to make an informed opinion.

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 Fat Boy Blue/Brushed Steel
    • CVO2: 2015 Street Black/Ghost Flames
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2006, 08:09:38 PM »

How many chips need to fall, a guys dead. Check the level of alcohol in the blood and if above the legal limit file homicide charges ( can't imagine this taking more then a couple of hours much less days).  If not that, passing illegally over double yellow lines warrant some neg homicide charges.  If it was me or you we'd be sitting in jail right now waiting to see what charges would be filed.

05Rider

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2006, 02:52:18 AM »

[quote author=2soaper
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 02:54:12 AM by 05Rider »
Freedom pipes, PC III, SE Air Cleaner
Tour Pak & Saddlebags LED Brakelight Kits
Kuryakyn Deluxe L.E.D. Taillight Conversion & LED F & R Running Lights & Turn Signals

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member
  • Good Bye Milk Dud! Hello Black Beauty!

• CVO1: 06 SEUC Black Candy Crimson
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2006, 07:26:03 AM »

The only way people learn to be responsible is when they are held accountable for the results of their actions.  

Passing on a double yellow, failure to yield, improper lane use, careless driving...all of them.  

If those that cause damage to others are forced to pay the full measure of those damages, maybe they will take note.  Sad but the only thing people pay attention to is the money.  

The woman that nearly killed Big Ben will likely pay a $50 fine.  How much did it really cost?  Medical, lost time, pain and suffering?  She should be paying for that too.  I wonder how her insurance would hold up to a $3 million claim?

Sad, but ya gotta let the money do the talking.  Even the grannies pay attention then... [smiley=sad.gif]

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2006, 07:59:51 AM »

How many chips need to fall, a guys dead. Check the level of alcohol in the blood and if above the legal limit file homicide charges ( can't imagine this taking more then a couple of hours much less days).
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 08:01:58 AM by DCFIREMANN »
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

RedFXR2

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2006, 09:19:46 AM »

This article has a picture of the victim, Gerry Morelock.  Seems important to put a face on him.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060907/NEWS01/609070331/1006

Man, this is really sad.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2006, 11:33:01 AM »

What a shame and example of our neglect to get tough on drunk driving in America.

Many of us can take a lesson here, one beer, two......a glass of wine and of we go.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 11:34:11 AM by Rjob749 »

BK

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2006, 11:47:30 AM »

This really makes me think twice and take a hard look in the mirror. My prayers go out to Gerry Morelock's family :'(
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 11:55:47 AM by BK »

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2006, 04:18:50 PM »

This article has a picture of the victim, Gerry Morelock.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2006, 05:10:23 PM »

In Calif. they give you a "field sobriety test" on the side of the road.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 05:12:18 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2006, 08:04:58 PM »

I'm still wondering why he had a driver's license?  Or if he didn't why the driving without a license issue hasn't compounded the current issues and been part of the coverage.  Several sources have reported the prior DUI charge included a failure to take a breathalyzer when instructed to do so.  Isn't that a suspension of your license in every state?  Also wondering why if the Trooper seemed so confident Lane was impaired no coverage has mentioned a FST or breathalyzer administered at the scene.

Scot or DJ anyone else here who has to deal with this kind of crap for a living; does something here not seem to pass the sniff test?  Or does it seem within SOP?

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2006, 08:50:20 PM »

I'm still wondering why he had a driver's license?
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2006, 08:54:23 PM »

Don he was injured and transported to a local hospital. That is why the BAT. If he was not injured he would of had a field sobriety test administered to him. The DUI in NC would cause him to have his license suspended in NC only.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Thanks Mike.  I'd missed in any of the initial coverage that he was injured too.  That certainly explains the lack of FST or anything else done on site.  Locally the state DMV shares (thank you Big Brother) major screw ups with neighboring states.  So something like telling an officer to stick his breathalyzer someplace other than his holster in Kansas will still have significant repercussions in Missouri once notice makes it's way through the system.

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2006, 09:15:41 PM »

Don he was injured and transported to a local hospital. That is why the BAT. If he was not injured he would of had a field sobriety test administered to him. The DUI in NC would cause him to have his license suspended in NC only.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
Hey gang..every state does things a little differently.....  
so there are no absolutes here...
as to some of the earlier comments...
 a quick blood test done in the hospital or anywhere not a crime lab would be tossed in a heart beat...  there is no doubt some BAC result in his med file..but means nothing in a criminal proceeding.  all in due time.
as to the license supension question..hard to say without particulars....a refusal in CO will result in a suspension of your license for a year.  This would take affect AFTER an administrative hearing which comes 45-60 days after the offense and can easily be delayed....
ONCE a license is suspended in a state, say NC, your right to drive is suspended in 48 of the 50 states through a device called the Compact Law.  essentially, they all honor the other states suspension.  my educated guess is he wasnt ( yet) suspended.
also, once suspended a high percentage of folks can and do petition for a restricted license ( essentially to/from work) and, in many cases they are granted.
as to the SFSTs, no way they can be done on a guy on a stretcher.
and, from my experience; it isnt the least bit unusual to "pend" charges on a major crime until the DA reviews the case and the evidence and determines what they are comfortable with charging...  you have all seen the FIASCO in Boulder recently when you get ahead of yourselves.

yea, this sucks all the way around, no question.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2006, 09:31:48 PM »

BL's court date for the DUI in NC, is scheduled for Oct. 5, 2006.  Innocent, until proven guilty, 'member?  Like I said, this is real sad.  A person is only dealt so many breaks.  I know all of mine have been dealt, as far as DUI, and DWI are concerned.  Apparently, so has BL's.  One DUI, may be considered by some as just bad luck.  TWO DUI's?  You've got a problem with alcohol.  Statistics support when you are caught DUI, you have already driven 300 times buzzed, or impaired.  I feel sorry for the family of the deceased, in that they can do nothing to change their loved one's present, and permanent state.  Billy Lane has options.  I hope he chooses the right one.  That's the cold, hard truth of the matter.  Later--HUBBARD      
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2006, 09:37:27 PM »

BL's court date for the DUI in NC, is scheduled for Oct. 5, 2006.

Nasty Habit

• Full CVO Member
  • Starting Dec. 22nd, you can say Summer's Comming
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2006, 09:54:30 AM »

Been gone for awhile. I am being a caretaker to my dad-in-law. WWII vet, and one of the original, very first, "frogmen" (the pre-curssors to the Navy's Seals). Great guy. Dying from throat cancer. He is existing in bed with a tube to his stomach for eating, and a traechomoty in his throat to breath. 1/2 jaw and 1/2 tongue are gone, and cancer still exists within. I get to feeling sorry for myself because some of my "plans" to ride before an upcoming surgery for myself are now canceled. My wife or I must always be here, and we own our own business. Then I come on board here to see what my friends are up to, only to find the Billy Lane tradgedy. Man, oh man. There but for the grace of God go I... I cannot add anything to what my brothers have already said. I see riders all the time cross double yellow lines. Many even insist on treating a solid white line like it has spaces in it. Its solid for a reason...The entire situation is tragic. Drugs make people stuipd, period. I pray each and every one of us to be safe. Thank you...
NH
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, cold beer in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and yelling WHO, HOO! What a Ride...

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2006, 01:30:03 PM »

Nasty:

Sorry to hear about your Dad...  you are doing something that i didnt get a chance to do for mine...  I can't even beging to tell you how much I miss mine.  Sounds like your dad is a true american hero! Thoughts and prayers headed your way

Scot

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2006, 08:58:06 AM »

Red, you heard anymore about this?

RedFXR2

« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2006, 09:22:40 AM »

This from September 17

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2006, 09:28:42 AM »

whatever they charge him with i hope it doesnt become a long drawn out thing

i was listening to the news to day and the owners of "the station" night club that burned to the ground and killed 100 people inside over 3 1/2 years ago just got a slap on the wrist sentence in a plea bargin to avoid a trial. the families are pissed that after all this time and promises of harsh sentences one of the owners wont even see jail time

RedFXR2

« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2006, 09:37:55 AM »

Depending on who you talk to down here, the time waiting time for the blood test results either means the fix is in, and Lane's lawyers are getting him off the hook, or the authorities are going to throw the book at him and want to make sure the test results are absolutely irrefutable before moving ahead with charges.

[Edit to add]  I wonder (just wondering) if all this will come into play on October 5, when he's due in court in NC on DUI charges up there?  Legally, does this event have any relevance to that one, even though it happened after that violation?  Certainly, in the court of public opinion, folks could get over the NC DUI a lot easier if this hadn't happened.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 09:42:05 AM by RedFXR2 »

BK

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2006, 09:41:57 AM »

I cannot believe it takes this long for the blood work. >:(

RedFXR2

« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2006, 09:44:58 AM »

I cannot believe it takes this long for the blood work. >:(

Normally, I would say the same thing, but some of the Law Enforcement guys here have explained how lengthy the process can be, so I just chalk it up to beaurocracy, and the need for proper legal process if the results are to be admissable as evidence, which is the whole point of doing the test.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2006, 10:27:49 AM »

Depending on who you talk to down here, the time waiting time for the blood test results either means the fix is in, and Lane's lawyers are getting him off the hook, or the authorities are going to throw the book at him and want to make sure the test results are absolutely irrefutable before moving ahead with charges.

[[highlight]Edit to add]  I wonder (just wondering) if all this will come into play on October 5, when he's due in court in NC on DUI charges up there?  Legally, does this event have any relevance to that one, even though it happened after that violation?  Certainly, in the court of public opinion, folks could get over the NC DUI a lot easier if this hadn't happened.
[/highlight]

The answer to this is NO. Until he is actually charged and convicted in the most recent incident, this is inadmissable and any mention of it would cause a mistrial. Even after he is charged, tried and convicted of the Florida incident, the rules of evidence are extremely narrow on bringing up prior offenses. Having said all that, Billy Lane needs to go to prison for awhile and when he gets out, he needs to be on very narrow parole with randon drug/alcohol testing and zero tolerance. Our society has no place for people who put their own sense of enjoyment above the right to life of others. As to the court of public opinion, hate to say that my sense of Billy is that he couldn't care less what folks think of him. I imagine at the moment and probably in this order, Billy's feelings are of regret that he screwed up, remorse at the loss of life he caused and dismay over his bleak future. The more I read of the deceased, the more I stop and think, what a shame for him and his family. What a damn shame.

Big B

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2006, 10:57:05 AM »

The answer to this is NO. Until he is actually charged and convicted in the most recent incident, this is inadmissable and any mention of it would cause a mistrial. Even after he is charged, tried and convicted of the Florida incident, the rules of evidence are extremely narrow on bringing up prior offenses. Having said all that, Billy Lane needs to go to prison for awhile and when he gets out, he needs to be on very narrow parole with randon drug/alcohol testing and zero tolerance. [highlight]Our society has no place for people who put their own sense of enjoyment above the right to life of others.[/highlight] As to the court of public opinion, hate to say that my sense of Billy is that he couldn't care less what folks think of him. I imagine at the moment and probably in this order, Billy's feelings are of regret that he screwed up, remorse at the loss of life he caused and dismay over his bleak future. The more I read of the deceased, the more I stop and think, what a shame for him and his family. What a damn shame.
Big B
Well said Spiderman...VERY well said...
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2006, 12:16:25 PM »

Normally, I would say the same thing, but some of the Law Enforcement guys here have explained how lengthy the process [highlight]can be[/highlight], so I just chalk it up to beaurocracy, and the need for proper legal process if the results are to be admissable as evidence, which is the whole point of doing the test.

"Can be" is the operative phrase in my opinion.  From a factual basis, DUI blood tests as a NORMAL course of prosecution ARE NOT handled exclusively by the state crime lab.  In an overwhelming majority of  the cases the sample is taken with the arresting officer present and delivered to a local diagnostic center  by the officer or a designated health professional pre-qualified to maintain the chain of custody as well as provide the testimony regarding the examination that may be required at the time of trial.  Giving the arresting officer the benefit of the doubt in this situation, I would guess that he (she) assumed that Lane was "lawyered up" before the truck quit rolling and attempted to overkill the process.  Clearly, the blood was taken at the hospital that Lane was brought to following the accident and the very simple BA test should have been completed within minutes as it is everyday in most every jurisdiction.  IMHO it's just poor taste and procedure to force the victims family to endure an additional period of suffering without knowing if the responsibility for the loss is going to be addressed.

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2006, 12:26:23 PM »

[Edit to add]

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2006, 01:14:34 PM »

"Can be" is the operative phrase in my opinion.

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2006, 01:19:26 PM »

Just an FYI:
I worked for one of the major lab companys for 5 years and depending on the state/county most hospitals are contracted to one of the 3 players  (labcore, qwest or orchid) to handle all their blood samples. That means the test is probably happening in some other state (the company I worked for had 5 domestic locations and if they had that contract that work would be completed in Dallas TX [not the nearest], that location was specifically assigned handling potential criminal cases with a chain of custody) now that sample would arrive in TX with a date stamp and would be handled weeks from arrival due to the thousands of samples already sitting in a frig waiting testing for similar cases all over the country, now I mentioned earlier depending on the state/county because some states/counties require the testing be done locally, then the testing would be handled by some small local lab unless one of the major players were in their town (not likely) and the time for results would be shortened. Typical wait time 5-7 weeks. [smiley=pumpkin.gif]
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 01:21:02 PM by the_ofender »
2020 Scorched Orange Limited

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon

bigdog257

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2006, 07:57:13 PM »

That's pretty sad. Feel bad for all involved. Lane has a problem judging from the other DUI and now to kill someone with another DUI is not good.

Bigdog

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2006, 09:16:50 PM »

Very sad...what a stupid stupid thing to do.

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 Fat Boy Blue/Brushed Steel
    • CVO2: 2015 Street Black/Ghost Flames
« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2006, 10:12:15 PM »

Yes sad indeed for the deceased and his family and sad also for Billy Lane. Not because he's in trouble, but now having to live with the fact he took a life.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2006, 03:35:24 PM »

As has been stated, it's a terrible for all involved and a particularly stupid for someone to do first on two wheels, and then get out in a cage with his blood alcohol twice more than the legal limit.  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

What a damn shame for the family and a stupid chit thing for such a talented builder to do, or anyone for that matter.
 [smiley=soapbox.gif]
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2006, 04:08:39 PM »

He is either arrogant because of his fame and/or has a serious etoh problem.  In either case sounds like he will have plenty of time to reflect on his poor judgment.  

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2006, 08:49:53 AM »

Got to feel for the family of the deceased he did nothing wrong and is still dead,  What shame all because some idiot drank and decided to get behind the wheel.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2006, 12:17:17 PM »

Folks, Lane is even dumber and more callous than he's been given credit for so far.  He rode drunk.  He drove drunk.  He hit and killed the man on the moped.  All these things seem without dispute.  But he also rode and drove drunk with a passenger.  Granted, she should have known better and may have been just as wasted and just as stupid.  But it's the guy in fronts responsibility not to endanger the passenger behind you.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2006, 02:34:37 PM »

Guys,

« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 04:11:07 PM by HUBBARD »

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2006, 09:05:14 PM »

HUBBARD,
I agree with most you have said about alcoholism and that it is an illness.I do think that each person that has that problem has to hit their own personal bottom before they change their behavior. I think that life has a way of trying to warn you about dangerious behavior or conditions and it starts out as a small sign and gets stronger or bigger as you continue that downward spiral.
Think how Mr.Lane could have prevented this last tragedy if he had heeded the earlier warning signs such as an earlier dui arrest or maybe some minor damage in a parking lot etc.
I understand that alcoholism does have a physical and psycholigical addictive issues but it's use is also encouraged by society. Picture the diabetic as an example, if the blackout you gave as an example was unplanned and unexpected then society would have compassion. But what if on the other hand this diabetic had a bunch of friends that knew he had a problem and kept encourageing him to go to a bakery and eat sweets. And this diabetic knew he was going to eat sweets and he chose to leave his insulin at home and take a chance anyway. Also he had had a blackout in the past after leaving the bakery but that time he only hit a roadsign. Then maybe that person should be held accountable also?
I know there is no easy answers and I feel bad for all parties involved.

Cerdo

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #71 on: September 28, 2006, 10:04:34 PM »

:-[ Such a sad day for all involved! I wonder why his friends let him drive?????
Andy

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2006, 06:33:43 AM »

It is all too common for someone with a little bit of fame to be surrounded by "YES-MEN".  It becomes second nature to believe you are above everyone else and the rules don't apply to you.

Sad situation for sure.... :(

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2006, 07:34:17 AM »

Guys,

2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2006, 09:45:00 AM »

HUB being in my trade. I have to say you are not defending anyone. You hit the nail right on the head. It is a disease. Most people don't look at like that and really don't understand. I have been cutting people out of automobiles for over 25 years. Ten of those in the District being assigned to a Heavy Rescue Unit. I can say that aprox 90% of the accidents involving entrapment are alcohol related. Now that is a shame.

This accident is a no win situation for anyone The family of the victim lost a loved one forever and Billy Lane has to live with the fact that he made a very bad decision and took somebodys life.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

To add a personal note to this. Up until my recent surgery I was always of a mind that anyone with a substance abuse or alcohol problem was weak minded. In my view, everyone is responsible for their own actions. This is probably because I am the son of an abusive alcoholic. While I was recovering from my knee replacement I was on Percocet for about two weeks. I woke up one day and decided I was not going to take it anymore and get by on extra strength Tylenol. Everything was fine til about 24 hrs since the last Percocet. I found myself doubled over with cramps, shaking and cold sweats. Never having experienced the " jones" but having known enough folks who had I called a buddy of mine who dovotes a lot of time to AA. He suggested I call my Dr. and get a lesser pain killer like Vicodin and then ease down to Tylenol. I did that and am fine, but have come away with an understanding of the physical mechanics of addiction. As such, I feel badly for having dissed off anyone with these issues as weak minded individuals. In the future I will try to pay attention to anyone in my circle of friends and family with problems of this nature and work with them if I can.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 09:48:11 AM by SPIDERMAN »

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2006, 10:41:43 AM »

Intentionally modified by author.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 03:21:51 PM by Special_Ed »
"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

SE05

• Senior CVO Member
  • aka - Mrs. SBB
« Reply #76 on: September 29, 2006, 10:58:13 AM »

Please don't take this as though I am defending BL ... [he} did not set out to kill someone, that particular day.

Ceej

• HD C-ustomer V-ery O-ften
  • Elite CVO Member
  • You've found CVOHarley.com, Now seek counseling...
« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2006, 10:29:19 AM »

I started to reply right after Hubs post about the disease, then stopped myself. I was in the 3rd day of quitting smoking cold turkey and thought better of my comments as I realized the hiprocracy of my comments dissing alcoholism as a disease or addiction as I struggled that very day with tobacco. Its been a week now and i am still torn. I believe there is an element of addiction, but don't know if I believe it is a disease. I do have compassion for those afflicted after having watched a friend suffer horribly with an extreme "addiction" but after several tries he made it thru to sobriety. My problem with BL's actions are just that - his actions. He didn't just get drubk and drive and weave acrossed the centerline and kill some one - he purposely chose to disregard many laws when he pulled out to pass several vehicles in a no passing zone. I know he was drunk, but to me that is not an excuse to just put the whole action under "drunken behavior". Someone who drinks heavy regularly can function much better than you or I at higher levels of BAC. I truely feel he disregarded the double yellow, which is what caused the resulting tradgedy. Alcohol was a factor, his disregard was the cause. I'm am sure he is a "Good Guy" - charitable and all. Like most I have several miles impaired driving under my belt and have learned a few things along the way. The one thing I never did or would do is ride two up while under the influence. so he disregarded the lady's life while on the bike before getting to the truck. And apparently he wasn't drunk enough to realize he didn't want to take a breath test the first time and actually fought off the police and hospital officials this time as they tried to draw blood. All said and done, I mourn another sensless biker tragedy (The scooter guy). I respect and defend the police for a thorough job. As for BL, I don't know, he's bonded out, probably wont face trial til the spring. He will probably get 12 years, serve 6 and be out before his 42nd birthday. He has time now til conviction to get his act together, get cleaned up. Get a good lawyer and plead guilty and ask for mercy from the court. I think it may be the best shot at getting through this with some sort of positive outcome in the future.

In the meantime, say a prayer and wish for strength for the family and friends of Gerry Morelock, a fisherman, two wheeler, musician, former child psychologist who quit because he couldn't handle seeing hurt children all the time, a nature lover and park ranger , by all accounts................ a "Good Guy"

2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

There really is a Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown........:)

KentuckyHarleyDude

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2006, 04:24:06 PM »

I started to reply right after Hubs post about the disease, then stopped myself.

I ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT THE TERM "DISEASE" MENT SOMETHING YOU MIGHT CONTRACT FROM EXPOSURE OR INHERIT NOT SOMETHING SELF INDUCED ..OR SOMETHING YOU HAD CONTROL OF BUT HAD NO SELF CONTROL .... SEEMS TO ME THAT IF YOU MAKE THE DECESION TO DRINK, SMOKE, GAMBLE OR DO DRUGS AND THEN GET HOOKED ON IT...ITS JUST A SELF IMPOSED ADDICTION NOT A DISEASE ... I HAVE ABSOLOUTLY NO COMPASSION FOR A DRUNK OR STONED DRIVER .... YOU DRIVE STUPID THEN STUPID THINGS HAPPEN .... JMHO..

BAMA
" Why Johnny Ringo ...you look like somone just ..walked across your grave"

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
  • Born to be wild - well, for a few days at least
« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2006, 05:27:05 PM »

Amen to that

Dave
If you're not living on the edge - you're taking up too much room!

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2006, 04:29:39 PM »

"... When all is said & done, more will be said than done."

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2006, 07:48:34 PM »

I ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT THE TERM "DISEASE" MENT SOMETHING YOU MIGHT CONTRACT FROM EXPOSURE OR INHERIT NOT SOMETHING SELF INDUCED ..OR SOMETHING YOU HAD CONTROL OF BUT HAD NO SELF CONTROL .... SEEMS TO ME THAT IF YOU MAKE THE DECESION TO DRINK, SMOKE, GAMBLE OR DO DRUGS AND THEN GET HOOKED ON IT...ITS JUST A SELF IMPOSED ADDICTION NOT A DISEASE ... I HAVE ABSOLOUTLY NO COMPASSION FOR A DRUNK OR STONED DRIVER .... YOU DRIVE STUPID THEN STUPID THINGS HAPPEN .... JMHO..

BAMA

The mystery of this disease lies in its inactive state.  It appears not to progress, when one is abstinate, but if he "falls off the wagon", then it rapidly returns, and displays signs of progression, as if one had never stopped.  It convinces one there is nothing wrong with him.  Alcoholism is most definitely a disease of the mind and body.  The American Medical Association ruled it as such, several years ago.  Be Thankful you ain't got it!  There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD    

Ceej

• HD C-ustomer V-ery O-ften
  • Elite CVO Member
  • You've found CVOHarley.com, Now seek counseling...
« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2006, 08:12:14 PM »

Sure the AMA ruled that it is a disease, but by what standards? The 12 step programs and therapists say basically that if you have a drink to get buzzed then your an alcoholic - My azz - why else would you drink the stuff?? None of it tastes all that terrific to be honest, its relaxing - takes an edge off - yes - but if you drink because of these reasons then your an alcoholic they say. If you ever got drunk - ie. more than a buzz - then you've got a problem they say. It goes on and on and there full of it. This is why the disease gets no respect - be honest about it people - abuse is not a disease, I know 2 people that have the disease - truely drunks - it controlled them - period - you'll know it if you see it, would drink windex if they had to, for them and that disease - I feel.

For every Tom, Dick, or Harry that has a few too many, messes up and "Checks into a treatment facility" - they abused and screwed up, and the lawyers and shrinks that label it a disease do a disservice to legitimate sufferers.
2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

There really is a Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown........:)

johnlee

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2006, 07:45:10 AM »

The next time BL kills someone (and he will) the faimly of the next victum will feel so much better when they find out it was Billys disease that killed their loved one and "not Billy".

I copied the following entry from another forum and it describes Billy Lane and what he stands for.

Let's see, after "drinking throughout the day" he got on his bike (knowing he had a suspended license), left the strip club "Cheater's" with his 22-year-old groupy, got into his pickup and intentionally crossed a double line in order to pass law-abiding motorists and subsequently hit another law-abiding motorist head-on, killing him. Yeah, nothing bad about that.

"Furthermore, they asked him to take out the rubber band"

Are you assuming this or were you there?

"NO ONE WINS here!! Not Billy

RedFXR2

« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2006, 03:45:08 PM »

BK

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2006, 03:50:12 PM »

RedFXR2

« Reply #86 on: October 06, 2006, 08:29:31 AM »

Lane found "not guilty" iin NC.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 09:07:32 AM by RedFXR2 »

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #87 on: October 06, 2006, 10:42:15 AM »

...several witnesses who testified that Lane drank only [highlight]one beer[/highlight] that night in North Carolina.

Note that their testimony did not qualify the SIZE of that one beer.

One night I only drank a half-a-can of beer, but the "can" had a TAP on the top of it!!!

In a society where wealth and fame equate to legal priveledge, I only wish for wealth and fame. Wonder if the name O.J. Lane is appropriate????

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #88 on: October 06, 2006, 11:10:47 AM »

All the same, whatever the verdict in NC, Lane still has his legal problems in FL. There has been much discussion about the length of time it is taking/ has taken with regard to the facts at the scene. If you haven't read the article, the following is the FL Highway patrol's response to that criticizm:

"...Florida Highway Patrol spokeswoman Kim Miller said investigators are making sure they build a strong case before filing any charges. "Let's say we write him a ticket for crossing the yellow line and he goes to court. He could pay a fine and that would be it. We couldn't go back and charge him with the most serious charge in this case," Miller said. "The goal is not to put him in jail as soon as possible. We have to prove criminal intent, that he knowingly passed the double line and that alcohol was involved."

Guess we'll see where this goes in FL. I echo the majority ruling in this thread... The whole thing is just a big dam shame for all involved.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #89 on: October 06, 2006, 03:21:09 PM »

To add a personal note to this. Up until my recent surgery I was always of a mind that anyone with a substance abuse or alcohol problem was weak minded. In my view, everyone is responsible for their own actions. This is probably because I am the son of an abusive alcoholic. While I was recovering from my knee replacement [highlight]I was on Percocet for about two weeks[/highlight]. I woke up one day and decided I was not going to take it anymore and get by on extra strength Tylenol. Everything was fine til about 24 hrs since the last Percocet. I found myself doubled over with cramps, shaking and cold sweats. Never having experienced the " jones" but having known enough folks who had I called a buddy of mine who dovotes a lot of time to AA. He suggested I call my Dr. and get a lesser pain killer like Vicodin and then ease down to Tylenol. I did that and am fine, but have come away with an understanding of the physical mechanics of addiction. As such, I feel badly for having dissed off anyone with these issues as weak minded individuals. In the future I will try to pay attention to anyone in my circle of friends and family with problems of this nature and work with them if I can.

2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #90 on: October 07, 2006, 10:33:41 PM »

A no win matter all across the board...

RedFXR2

« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2006, 10:50:52 AM »

A no win matter all across the board...

I don't know that I'd call it a win but if Lane is taken off the road for a while or forever--that's at least that long that one fewer drunk driver is posing a threat to the public.  From what is known about this case (.192 BAT, illegal passing violation) it would appear obvious that Lane has problems making responsible decisions that affect the safety of the public.  No punishment of Lane will bring Gerry Morelock back to life, but the longer Lane is off the road, the longer he, at least, will be incapable of doing the same thing to another innocent victim.  That's a victory of sorts, anyway.

RedFXR2

« Reply #92 on: October 12, 2006, 02:29:26 PM »

More trouble for Lane.  This was probably inevitable.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006610060334

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #93 on: October 12, 2006, 02:33:33 PM »

More trouble for Lane.

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #94 on: October 12, 2006, 02:54:23 PM »

...I do not understand sueing Chrysler though.
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #95 on: October 12, 2006, 03:00:29 PM »

I'm suprised that it took this long, I do not understand sueing Chrysler though.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #96 on: October 12, 2006, 03:24:25 PM »

Probably because they have the deepest pockets. Usually, in these types of tragedies, the victim's family sues everyone but the family pet in an attempt to maximize the amount of the judgement.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #97 on: October 12, 2006, 04:05:43 PM »

They deserve it for sure, But from the person at fault. Not the company that made the vehicle. [highlight]I am surprised that the lawyer did not sue the state for making the road[/highlight] that he was killed on[smiley=confused5.gif] Its just ridiculous. This is a perfect example of the BS litigious society we live in today, And the money hungry lawyers that exploit it. Don't take this the wrong way, I think that BL should be help accountable for his actions.

Uh oh, I hope a lawyer doesn't see that idea.

You are certainly right about the litigous society, we need to get back to people being responsible for their actions and not always placing blame elsewhere or looking for something to be someone elses fault.

I imagine Lane will get what is due here.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 04:08:16 PM by Rjob749 »

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #98 on: October 12, 2006, 04:47:14 PM »

Uh oh, I hope a lawyer doesn't see that idea.

You are certainly right about the litigous society, we need to get back to people being responsible for their actions and not always placing blame elsewhere or looking for something to be someone elses fault.

I imagine Lane will get what is due here.

I agree.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 04:48:33 PM by HUBBARD »

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #99 on: October 13, 2006, 09:42:58 AM »

Funny how his lawyer always says things aren't as they appear.  

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander

RedFXR2

« Reply #100 on: October 13, 2006, 10:10:16 AM »

It appears that the truck may have been owned by Daimler Chrysler as it was "provided" to Lane.

Bingo.  Daimler-Chrysler owned the truck, and therefore carried the insurance.  In pretty much any case where a driver of a vehicle kills somebody the insurance company is sued, as well as the individual, because the insurance company will almost always have more money against which to defray hospital bills, lost wages, etc, as well as punitive damages.  It's not so much that the family is saying the 'the truck killed Morelock'.

Frankly, I wouldnt be surprised to learn that Lane himself really doesn't have all that much cash on hand.  I suspect he hasn't been too smart with his TV earnings (drank, and then pi$$ed it away).

RedFXR2

« Reply #101 on: October 13, 2006, 10:15:24 AM »

Funny how his lawyer always says things aren't as they appear.

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE CVO Street Glide "Silvia"
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTFSE² Screamin’ Eagle® Fat Boy® (SOLD)
« Reply #102 on: October 13, 2006, 01:20:18 PM »

officer, I swear i only had one beer.  [smiley=dizzy2.gif]
Toes in the water, ass in the sand

bounty

« Reply #103 on: October 14, 2006, 02:33:45 AM »

FYI: I hope that no one takes offense but the operator of the liable motor vehicle will get sued and the insurance company will provide the defense because they are the ones that have to pay up to their policy limits.  The insurance company only gets sued if they fail to use good faith in trying to settle the case.  The manufacturer will get sued if the accident was resultant of a manufacturer defect unless of course they were supplying a vehicle for advertising/promotion purposes and the person they provided the promotional vehicle had a well known propensity to drive while intoxicated then the manufacturer would be negligent in supplying a vehicle knowing the risk that their vehicle would be involved in a DUI accident.  It would not matter whose automobile BL was driving, the owner of the vehicle would have to be sued because they are the one that insures the vehicle and that is whose insurance will pay for the negligent act.  In this case the manufacturer's insurance should be large enough to cover the monetary damages but no matter how much the policy limits are, the deceased biker will never be returned to his family.
2006 FLHTCUSE Haze
D&D Fat Cats w/ghost
Doherty Machine Powerpac
Thundermax EFI

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #104 on: October 16, 2006, 09:18:02 AM »

Seems to me that the lawyer should find out what tires the truck was equipped with.

You can't drive a truck without tires, and you can't crash a truck you can't drive. Definitely!, the tires contributed to this tradgedy - sue Goodyear. ...And sue Firestone, too - they may make a tire model that would fit on that truck.

Holy Cow! was Billy Lane wearing a BELT??? Who made the belt? You can't go out drinking if you can't hold your pants up!

Mom always said I was argumentative enough to be a lawyer, but really... when is enough enough?

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #105 on: October 16, 2006, 09:42:43 AM »

Seems to me that the lawyer should find out what tires the truck was equipped with.
You can't drive a truck without tires, and you can't crash a truck you can't drive. Definitely!, the tires contributed to this tradgedy - sue Goodyear. ...And sue Firestone, too - they may make a tire model that would fit on that truck.
Holy Cow! was Billy Lane wearing a BELT??? Who made the belt? You can't go out drinking if you can't hold your pants up!
Mom always said I was argumentative enough to be a lawyer, but really... when is enough enough?

Never get out of the driveway without fuel either...........what about the truck company that delivered it to the dealer, oops what about the dealer that handed it over, it could go on and on I guess.

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #106 on: October 18, 2006, 10:56:04 AM »

Lets not forget the bar/establishment where he was served his final intoxicating beverage, they will ultimately be named in a suite too. [smiley=pumpkin.gif]
2020 Scorched Orange Limited

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #107 on: October 18, 2006, 11:11:19 AM »

And the Hanes company also as obviously, somewhere along the way, his shorts were way too tight.

RedFXR2

« Reply #108 on: October 18, 2006, 11:43:00 AM »

This just in:  Lane charged with three felonies.  He's in a lot more trouble here than he ever dreamed of in NC.  Scheduled court date is October 27.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061018/BREAKINGNEWS/61018027

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #109 on: October 18, 2006, 12:42:48 PM »

I've stayed out of this discussion, but if an auto manufacturer furnished a known drug/alcohol abuser with a vehicle for advertising or promotional purposes (all it takes is a simple background check for DUI/arrest records), they SHOULD be held accountable.  BL's irresponsible act of self-indulgence cost a man his life, just as surely as if he had put a gun to this guy's head and pulled the trigger.  His "weapon" of choice just happened to be a big chunk of steel and a legal drug which acted as the gunpowder. He made a conscious choice on some level. While it is true that a certain percentage of the population have a chemical dependent personality, and in fact may be born with a predisposition for drug abuse (and make no mistake that alcohol is a drug, no different, and in many ways much worse, than ANY OTHER drug), most people, including myself, have "abused" alcohol at one time or another and do not meet any reasonably set criteria for "Alcoholism".  The difference is that most of us have sense enough, or more importantly, CARE enough about the potential consequences of our actions or irresponsibility, to NOT get behind the wheel of a vehicle, much less drive recklessly intentionally.  I have absolutely NO sympathy for BL, and hope he does hard time for many, many years, is totally wiped out financially, and all other consequences possible due to his actions, though he will probably be able to wiggle out...his wiggling out has probably happened most of his life, which is what led to this unfortunate incident.

There is a small percentage of people who fit the criteria of the "Disease" as defined by the AMA, but would any sympathy be shown to this man if he was an abuser of Heroin and had gotten behind the wheel of a car/truck? This would be a different discussion if that were the case, I'm sure. His CHOICE of drugs just happens to be one condoned by society and not condemned.  In the end, each person, regardless of history, makes a CHOICE to drink/not drink, shoot up/not shoot up, snort/not snort, smoke/not smoke.  On some level, it is still a choice, and each individual who abuses drugs makes that choice every day they wake up.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #110 on: October 18, 2006, 01:26:29 PM »

Let's hope Florida has not jumped on the tort reform band wagon that many states have adopted.  If they did it will be dificult if not legally impossible for the next of kin to be fairly compensated for their loss.

RedFXR2

« Reply #111 on: October 18, 2006, 02:29:52 PM »

This just in:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 03:17:37 PM by RedFXR2 »

RedFXR2

« Reply #112 on: October 19, 2006, 12:40:43 PM »

The media article about Lane's charges is back, but not quite in the same form.

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #113 on: October 19, 2006, 01:21:12 PM »

I've stayed out of this discussion, but if an auto manufacturer furnished a known drug/alcohol abuser with a vehicle for advertising or promotional purposes (all it takes is a simple background check for DUI/arrest records), they SHOULD be held accountable.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

05Rider

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #114 on: October 19, 2006, 05:41:39 PM »

I've stayed out of this discussion, but if an auto manufacturer furnished a known drug/alcohol abuser with a vehicle for advertising or promotional purposes (all it takes is a simple background check for DUI/arrest records), they SHOULD be held accountable.
Freedom pipes, PC III, SE Air Cleaner
Tour Pak & Saddlebags LED Brakelight Kits
Kuryakyn Deluxe L.E.D. Taillight Conversion & LED F & R Running Lights & Turn Signals

RedFXR2

« Reply #115 on: October 20, 2006, 10:56:00 AM »

I don't see how anybody in the motorcycle world can not be outraged by the latest development.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #116 on: October 20, 2006, 08:22:22 PM »

Hey, RedFXR,
  No matter what he pleads, or his scum-bag Lawyer pleads for him, he's done.  You didn't think he would plead guilty, or no-contest, did you?  I think BL has a conscience, and it's probably eatin' his lunch, everyday.  The sad thing is, it may be botherin' him cause he got caught, not for killing GM.  If that's the case, he's a sorry lot, indeed.  That said, he don't want to go to jail.  He'll do, or say anything, to try and weasel out of this jam he's in.  Who knows, with these panty-wasted judges, and lunatics that get called for jury duty, anything could happen.  Justice is blind in the courtroom, right?  Look at OJ.  >:( Later--HUBBARD    

RedFXR2

« Reply #117 on: October 20, 2006, 08:43:38 PM »

You didn't think he would plead guilty, or no-contest, did you?

No, but it still gripes me.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 08:54:47 PM by RedFXR2 »

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #118 on: October 20, 2006, 09:20:41 PM »

I guess there's about as much chance of Lane standing up and saying "I have messed up big time and now stand ready to accept punishment and make retribution, your Honor" as there is of Otis telling everybody what he's really got in his Road Glide. ;D

Now that's right! ;D ;D
S&S gear drives and S&S cams is what I was told.
Maybe Redshifts would have helped [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
If the truth was told! ;)

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #119 on: October 21, 2006, 06:08:40 PM »

No, but it still gripes me.

RedFXR2

« Reply #120 on: November 14, 2006, 12:30:25 PM »

Update:
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 12:31:02 PM by RedFXR2 »

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #121 on: November 14, 2006, 12:58:29 PM »

I would have to say the fact that the victim rider was legally drunk may have an effect in a civil case where they divide the responsibilty and guilt for an accident.
Having the victim drunk can help build a defense somewhat if there is other evidence such as the victim swerved into the supect's path etc. If it comes to be that the victim commited no action that contributed to his own death other than a high B.A.C. it should not have much effect on a criminal verdict.
It is a tactic to dirty the victim's rep so the suspect's punishment will be lesser too. A jury will go lighter since its not like he hit a nun on her way to church.
Sad situation.

RedFXR2

« Reply #122 on: November 14, 2006, 01:15:57 PM »

I would have to say the fact that the victim rider was legally drunk may have an effect in a civil case where they divide the responsibilty and guilt for an accident.

I'm sure this is Lane's lawyers' plan.  Especially if it goes to a jury.

Something to think about:  If a Park Ranger had been sloppy drunk while passing on a double yellow, driving  on a DUI-suspended drivers' license, and hit a kinda drunk chopper-riding Billy Lane and killed him, would folks think Lane's BAC contributed to the accident?

It's been really interesting watching how divided the riding community has been about this whole Lane thing.  This latest revelation is going to make it even more so.

For example, did you notice the reader comment on the linked article, where the apparently pro-Lane reader implies that Morelock could have been able to swerve to avoid getting hit if he wasn't impaired?  Would that argument ever be made if the roles were reversed?

BK

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #123 on: November 14, 2006, 02:34:26 PM »

I'm sure this is Lane's lawyers' plan.

napalm

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #124 on: November 14, 2006, 04:36:12 PM »

The problem with all this is that NOBODY was in the right....both parties were impaired and BL did pass two cars illegally.....

If you can't do the time, then don't do the crime.....

napalm
napalm

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #125 on: November 14, 2006, 09:05:00 PM »

The problem with all this is that NOBODY was in the right....both parties were impaired and BL did pass two cars illegally.....

[highlight]If you can't do the time, then don't do the crime.....[/highlight]
napalm

That phrase just dont work for me anymore, kinda ironical as well  ;D

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #126 on: November 16, 2006, 07:02:18 PM »

Been a member for over a year. Met some of you in person and more here on the site. Over 2100 posts and I've never ask anyone to do this before

CAN WE SHUT THIS THREAD DOWN - - - - - - - - - - - PLEASE !!!!!!!!

Big B

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #127 on: November 16, 2006, 07:08:32 PM »

Uh..Oh!!!!

He's Baaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!!!!
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

RedFXR2

« Reply #128 on: February 12, 2007, 12:54:38 PM »

With apologies to Spiderman, here's the latest update:

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007702080347

Date set for Lane's civil trial in case of slain motorcyclist

BY KEYONNA SUMMERS
FLORIDA TODAY

TITUSVILLE - Celebrity motorcycle builder Billy Lane will face his crash victim's family in a civil case in August, but the trial for a DUI manslaughter charge he faces in the Labor Day wreck that killed Gerald Morelock is still pending.

Morelock's mother sued Lane, 37, and DaimlerChrysler -- which provided Lane with the Dodge pickup truck he was driving -- a month after the fatal crash in which police said Lane crossed a double-yellow line and hit Morelock's mini-Yamaha motorcycle.

Wednesday, Brevard Circuit Judge John Dean Moxley Jr. denied a motion by Lane's attorney to dismiss the case, and set a trial date of Aug. 20.

S. Sammy Cacciatore, the family's attorney, said the family is trying to recoup the loss of earnings of the deceased, medical and funeral expenses, as well as mental pain and suffering.
The family alleges Lane, who police say had a blood-alcohol level of .192 the night of the accident, and DaimlerChrysler, who used Lane's fame to advertise its vehicles despite prior driving citations on Lane's record, are liable for auto negligence.

"They've just gone through the first holiday period without Gerald and it's been difficult," Cacciatore said. "A parent especially never expects that they will be burying their child. It goes against the clock of life."

In the meantime, Lane also faces 15 years in prison if convicted of a charge of DUI manslaughter, a second-degree felony.

Gregory Eisenmenger, Lane's attorney in the criminal case, said that trial might be set during a docket sounding on March 23.

Lane remains out on bond.  "He's trying to have as normal a life as possible, considering he has a serious criminal charge," Eisenmenger said.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #129 on: February 12, 2007, 04:03:12 PM »

It's ok Red. It's all a part of life and I can't stick my head in the sand and ignore it. Billy's like the kid brother that never stops getting in trouble. His life is like a train wreck. You can't watch and you can't not watch. He should have hooked up with Anna Nicole Smith before she died. A reality show based on the two of them would have been the perfect metaphor for pop culture America in 2007.

Tros

« Reply #130 on: February 16, 2007, 09:30:32 PM »

It's ok Red. It's all a part of life and I can't stick my head in the sand and ignore it. Billy's like the kid brother that never stops getting in trouble. His life is like a train wreck. You can't watch and you can't not watch. He should have hooked up with Anna Nicole Smith before she died. A reality show based on the two of them would have been the perfect metaphor for pop culture America in 2007.

+1

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #131 on: February 17, 2007, 07:51:01 AM »

YEA WHAT HE SAID!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #132 on: February 17, 2007, 09:39:13 AM »

It's sad for all involved.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #133 on: March 12, 2007, 02:55:29 PM »

To add a personal note to this. Up until my recent surgery I was always of a mind that anyone with a substance abuse or alcohol problem was weak minded. In my view, everyone is responsible for their own actions. This is probably because I am the son of an abusive alcoholic. While I was recovering from my knee replacement I was on Percocet for about two weeks. I woke up one day and decided I was not going to take it anymore and get by on extra strength Tylenol. Everything was fine til about 24 hrs since the last Percocet. I found myself doubled over with cramps, shaking and cold sweats. Never having experienced the " jones" but having known enough folks who had I called a buddy of mine who dovotes a lot of time to AA. He suggested I call my Dr. and get a lesser pain killer like Vicodin and then ease down to Tylenol. I did that and am fine, but have come away with an understanding of the physical mechanics of addiction. As such, I feel badly for having dissed off anyone with these issues as weak minded individuals. In the future I will try to pay attention to anyone in my circle of friends and family with problems of this nature and work with them if I can.

I always thought the same thing, until my brother who had been dry for 12 years with AA gave in and started again, he was dead in 3 months. NOt even 40 years old and dead from booze, I always told him to "just dont drink" and everything will be fine, Well, its not that easy. Its a disease like cancer. Now I know, but its too late for us.  AA is a great organization. Many people were trying to help him, all his brother did was say "dont drink" Its tough.
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
When all is said and done, there'll be more said, then done!

Bulldog

• Junior CVO Member
  • Love my Candy Cherry Baby!!!
« Reply #134 on: March 13, 2007, 10:11:23 AM »

I saw Billy Lane in his booth at Destination Daytona and barely recognized him his hair was cut short dressed normal and had a big banner up promoting a charity organization that he is involved with. No kidding he was smiling shaking hands, definitely trying to change his image, I think the boy knows he is in serious trouble this time.

But you know how this celebrity stuff works in California and Florida IE. "the Judge that handled Anna Nicole's deal" who knows what the hell is gonna happen. Would not suprise me if he walks with a suspended sentence and community service on the criminal charge,  and he will have to compensate the family financially on the civil case.
05 SEEG 2- Tone Candy Cherry
V&H True Duals with V&H Slip ons
Power commander III
S.E. Air Cleaner
HD Flame Windshield
Chrome-Inner primary cover, Cylinder base cover,HD Chrome windshield trim, chrome starter and more.

RedFXR2

« Reply #135 on: March 14, 2007, 11:23:14 AM »

IBut you know how this celebrity stuff works in California and Florida IE. "the Judge that handled Anna Nicole's deal" who knows what the hell is gonna happen. Would not suprise me if he walks with a suspended sentence and community service on the criminal charge,  and he will have to compensate the family financially on the civil case.

Yep.  Could be interesting:

Date set for Lane's civil trial in case of slain motorcyclist
February 8, 2007 •• 289 words •• ID: brv33418961
KEYONNA SUMMERS Florida Today TITUSVILLE -- Celebrity motorcycle builder Billy Lane will face his crash victim's family in a civil case in August, but the trial for a DUI manslaughter charge he faces in the Labor Day wreck that killed Gerald Morelock is still pending.

I don't have a link since this is an archived article, but it's curious already that the date for the civil trial has already been set but the date for the DUI trial (charges filed much earlier) has not.  It's also curious that the two other charges of driving with a suspended license (a known fact-slam dunk guilty) and illegally passing on a double yellow (also a known fact-slam dunk guilty) have been dropped.  I've been told that the Prosecutors dropped the lesser charges to take away any possibility of a deal based on pleading guilty to the lesser charges in exchange for lessening the more serious one.  Makes no sense to me but I'm not a lawyer.

But back to the theme--who knows what might happen.  They're obviously still "negotiating" ????? 

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #136 on: March 14, 2007, 12:01:29 PM »

Sounds like OJ's prosecutor got a new job in Florida.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 12:12:17 PM by Rjob749 »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #137 on: March 14, 2007, 12:15:16 PM »

Sounds like OJ's prosecutor got a new job in Florida.

Or else they decided not to give a jury the option of convicting on a lesser charge just because they liked him.  That kind of thing is always a massive crap shoot.  One of the reasons I'm glad I hire lawyers rather than be one.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #138 on: March 17, 2007, 02:29:41 PM »

Justice in America in the year 2007 is what you can afford it to be !

B B

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #139 on: March 24, 2007, 07:14:25 PM »

Thats to bad for all involved to have it drag on.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander

RedFXR2

« Reply #140 on: April 02, 2007, 12:36:06 PM »

Update:

Bike builder Lane avoids lawsuit questions

BY KEYONNA SUMMERS
FLORIDA TODAY

A Brevard Circuit judge Monday upheld motorcycle builder Billy Lane’s refusal to answer questions in a civil case filed by the family of his alleged drunk driving victim because those answers could influence the criminal case against him.

“Our thought was that he very well could have not invoked the Fifth (Amendment) and made things easier,” said S. Sammy Cacciatore, attorney for victim Gerald Morelock’s family. “We were trying shortcut things (and) get some basic things admitted from him. But if he won’t, we’ll call witnesses and prove it up and show how bad his conduct was.”

Lane, 37, faces 15 years in prison if convicted of DUI manslaughter in connection with the Labor Day crash, in which, police said, Lane crossed a double-yellow line and hit Morelock’s mini-Yamaha motorcycle.

In the civil suit, Lane has refused to say whether the accident took place or whether anyone died as a result because those are elements that prosecutors must prove in the criminal case. He also refused to say when or where he met Erin Derrick, the 22-year-old passenger in his Dodge pickup the night of the crash, or what they were doing immediately before the crash.

“The circumstances under which they met could definitely be a link in the chain of evidence,” said Gregory Eisenmenger, Lane’s criminal lawyer.

Judge John Dean Moxley Jr. agreed, saying the state must prove any negligence by Lane in court.

Lane’s attorneys said they will disclose Lane’s prior driving citations — including one in which North Carolina authorities in June charged Lane with driving a motorcycle while intoxicated and revoked his license after he refused to take a breathalyzer test — because Lane no longer faces a revoked license charge in Florida.

Lane was cleared of the North Carolina charges in October.

Brevard prosecutors could not pursue the suspended license charge, initially filed by the Florida Highway Patrol, because North Carolina authorities never reported Lane’s refusal to take a breath test to Florida, which would have suspended his Florida license for a year, said State Attorney’s spokeswoman Lynne Bumpus-Hooper.

The FHP also charged Lane with a DUI causing serious bodily injury charge, but Bumpus-Hooper said Derrick, the passenger, declined to pursue charges against Lane for her injuries.

Florida law allows prosecutors to proceed without the woman’s consent, though it is unlikely they will do so, she said.

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #141 on: April 02, 2007, 01:11:50 PM »

Justice in America in the year 2007 is what you can afford it to be !

B B
Amen brother, have you seen Billy lately? He cut his hair, of course for his appearances, those dreds would have been frowned upon by any self respecting judge, and jury.  ;)
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
When all is said and done, there'll be more said, then done!

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #142 on: April 26, 2007, 01:12:16 AM »

Amen brother, have you seen Billy lately? He cut his hair, of course for his appearances, those dreds would have been frowned upon by any self respecting judge, and jury.  ;)

dam that's short, but I doubt that it will have any influence on his jail term, and he may regret it in the long run.
That "pretty boy" look might attract :love: a few more inmates than what he bargained for.

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #143 on: April 26, 2007, 05:56:47 AM »

:nervous: Hope he finds a new friend named Bubba  :nervous:

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #144 on: April 28, 2007, 07:05:29 PM »

dam that's short, but I doubt that it will have any influence on his jail term, and he may regret it in the long run.
That "pretty boy" look might attract :love: a few more inmates than what he bargained for.

Billy will be more the celebrity inside than he is on the outside. Most of those guys dream of building their own bikes, many build little models of what they hope to have out of wire, nuts etc or wood. Sorry if anyone's hoping Billy's time inside will be tough, but truth be told, he'll be a megastar.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #145 on: April 29, 2007, 08:40:16 PM »

Sorry if anyone's hoping Billy's time inside will be tough, but truth be told, he'll be a megastar.

Brian,

That's correct...if he goes inside, which may be doubtful at this point.  Given the conditions, he should, however who knows with a jury.
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10 [All]

Page created in 0.521 seconds with 21 queries.