Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10  All

Author Topic: Billy Lane hits a rider with his pick-up.  (Read 24112 times)

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

Re: Billy Lane hits a rider with his pick-up.
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2006, 09:31:48 PM »

BL's court date for the DUI in NC, is scheduled for Oct. 5, 2006.  Innocent, until proven guilty, 'member?  Like I said, this is real sad.  A person is only dealt so many breaks.  I know all of mine have been dealt, as far as DUI, and DWI are concerned.  Apparently, so has BL's.  One DUI, may be considered by some as just bad luck.  TWO DUI's?  You've got a problem with alcohol.  Statistics support when you are caught DUI, you have already driven 300 times buzzed, or impaired.  I feel sorry for the family of the deceased, in that they can do nothing to change their loved one's present, and permanent state.  Billy Lane has options.  I hope he chooses the right one.  That's the cold, hard truth of the matter.  Later--HUBBARD      
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2006, 09:37:27 PM »

BL's court date for the DUI in NC, is scheduled for Oct. 5, 2006.

Nasty Habit

• Full CVO Member
  • Starting Dec. 22nd, you can say Summer's Comming
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2006, 09:54:30 AM »

Been gone for awhile. I am being a caretaker to my dad-in-law. WWII vet, and one of the original, very first, "frogmen" (the pre-curssors to the Navy's Seals). Great guy. Dying from throat cancer. He is existing in bed with a tube to his stomach for eating, and a traechomoty in his throat to breath. 1/2 jaw and 1/2 tongue are gone, and cancer still exists within. I get to feeling sorry for myself because some of my "plans" to ride before an upcoming surgery for myself are now canceled. My wife or I must always be here, and we own our own business. Then I come on board here to see what my friends are up to, only to find the Billy Lane tradgedy. Man, oh man. There but for the grace of God go I... I cannot add anything to what my brothers have already said. I see riders all the time cross double yellow lines. Many even insist on treating a solid white line like it has spaces in it. Its solid for a reason...The entire situation is tragic. Drugs make people stuipd, period. I pray each and every one of us to be safe. Thank you...
NH
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, cold beer in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and yelling WHO, HOO! What a Ride...

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2006, 01:30:03 PM »

Nasty:

Sorry to hear about your Dad...  you are doing something that i didnt get a chance to do for mine...  I can't even beging to tell you how much I miss mine.  Sounds like your dad is a true american hero! Thoughts and prayers headed your way

Scot

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2006, 08:58:06 AM »

Red, you heard anymore about this?
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

RedFXR2

« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2006, 09:22:40 AM »

This from September 17

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2006, 09:28:42 AM »

whatever they charge him with i hope it doesnt become a long drawn out thing

i was listening to the news to day and the owners of "the station" night club that burned to the ground and killed 100 people inside over 3 1/2 years ago just got a slap on the wrist sentence in a plea bargin to avoid a trial. the families are pissed that after all this time and promises of harsh sentences one of the owners wont even see jail time
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

RedFXR2

« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2006, 09:37:55 AM »

Depending on who you talk to down here, the time waiting time for the blood test results either means the fix is in, and Lane's lawyers are getting him off the hook, or the authorities are going to throw the book at him and want to make sure the test results are absolutely irrefutable before moving ahead with charges.

[Edit to add]  I wonder (just wondering) if all this will come into play on October 5, when he's due in court in NC on DUI charges up there?  Legally, does this event have any relevance to that one, even though it happened after that violation?  Certainly, in the court of public opinion, folks could get over the NC DUI a lot easier if this hadn't happened.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 09:42:05 AM by RedFXR2 »

BK

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2006, 09:41:57 AM »

I cannot believe it takes this long for the blood work. >:(

RedFXR2

« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2006, 09:44:58 AM »

I cannot believe it takes this long for the blood work. >:(

Normally, I would say the same thing, but some of the Law Enforcement guys here have explained how lengthy the process can be, so I just chalk it up to beaurocracy, and the need for proper legal process if the results are to be admissable as evidence, which is the whole point of doing the test.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2006, 10:27:49 AM »

Depending on who you talk to down here, the time waiting time for the blood test results either means the fix is in, and Lane's lawyers are getting him off the hook, or the authorities are going to throw the book at him and want to make sure the test results are absolutely irrefutable before moving ahead with charges.

[[highlight]Edit to add]  I wonder (just wondering) if all this will come into play on October 5, when he's due in court in NC on DUI charges up there?  Legally, does this event have any relevance to that one, even though it happened after that violation?  Certainly, in the court of public opinion, folks could get over the NC DUI a lot easier if this hadn't happened.
[/highlight]

The answer to this is NO. Until he is actually charged and convicted in the most recent incident, this is inadmissable and any mention of it would cause a mistrial. Even after he is charged, tried and convicted of the Florida incident, the rules of evidence are extremely narrow on bringing up prior offenses. Having said all that, Billy Lane needs to go to prison for awhile and when he gets out, he needs to be on very narrow parole with randon drug/alcohol testing and zero tolerance. Our society has no place for people who put their own sense of enjoyment above the right to life of others. As to the court of public opinion, hate to say that my sense of Billy is that he couldn't care less what folks think of him. I imagine at the moment and probably in this order, Billy's feelings are of regret that he screwed up, remorse at the loss of life he caused and dismay over his bleak future. The more I read of the deceased, the more I stop and think, what a shame for him and his family. What a damn shame.

Big B

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2006, 10:57:05 AM »

The answer to this is NO. Until he is actually charged and convicted in the most recent incident, this is inadmissable and any mention of it would cause a mistrial. Even after he is charged, tried and convicted of the Florida incident, the rules of evidence are extremely narrow on bringing up prior offenses. Having said all that, Billy Lane needs to go to prison for awhile and when he gets out, he needs to be on very narrow parole with randon drug/alcohol testing and zero tolerance. [highlight]Our society has no place for people who put their own sense of enjoyment above the right to life of others.[/highlight] As to the court of public opinion, hate to say that my sense of Billy is that he couldn't care less what folks think of him. I imagine at the moment and probably in this order, Billy's feelings are of regret that he screwed up, remorse at the loss of life he caused and dismay over his bleak future. The more I read of the deceased, the more I stop and think, what a shame for him and his family. What a damn shame.
Big B
Well said Spiderman...VERY well said...
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2006, 12:16:25 PM »

Normally, I would say the same thing, but some of the Law Enforcement guys here have explained how lengthy the process [highlight]can be[/highlight], so I just chalk it up to beaurocracy, and the need for proper legal process if the results are to be admissable as evidence, which is the whole point of doing the test.

"Can be" is the operative phrase in my opinion.  From a factual basis, DUI blood tests as a NORMAL course of prosecution ARE NOT handled exclusively by the state crime lab.  In an overwhelming majority of  the cases the sample is taken with the arresting officer present and delivered to a local diagnostic center  by the officer or a designated health professional pre-qualified to maintain the chain of custody as well as provide the testimony regarding the examination that may be required at the time of trial.  Giving the arresting officer the benefit of the doubt in this situation, I would guess that he (she) assumed that Lane was "lawyered up" before the truck quit rolling and attempted to overkill the process.  Clearly, the blood was taken at the hospital that Lane was brought to following the accident and the very simple BA test should have been completed within minutes as it is everyday in most every jurisdiction.  IMHO it's just poor taste and procedure to force the victims family to endure an additional period of suffering without knowing if the responsibility for the loss is going to be addressed.

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2006, 12:26:23 PM »

[Edit to add]

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2006, 01:14:34 PM »

"Can be" is the operative phrase in my opinion.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10  All

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 22 queries.