Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10  All

Author Topic: Billy Lane hits a rider with his pick-up.  (Read 24159 times)

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
Re: Billy Lane hits a rider with his pick-up.
« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2006, 10:41:43 AM »

Intentionally modified by author.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 03:21:51 PM by Special_Ed »
"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

SE05

• Senior CVO Member
  • aka - Mrs. SBB
« Reply #76 on: September 29, 2006, 10:58:13 AM »

Please don't take this as though I am defending BL ... [he} did not set out to kill someone, that particular day.

Ceej

• HD C-ustomer V-ery O-ften
  • Elite CVO Member
  • You've found CVOHarley.com, Now seek counseling...
« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2006, 10:29:19 AM »

I started to reply right after Hubs post about the disease, then stopped myself. I was in the 3rd day of quitting smoking cold turkey and thought better of my comments as I realized the hiprocracy of my comments dissing alcoholism as a disease or addiction as I struggled that very day with tobacco. Its been a week now and i am still torn. I believe there is an element of addiction, but don't know if I believe it is a disease. I do have compassion for those afflicted after having watched a friend suffer horribly with an extreme "addiction" but after several tries he made it thru to sobriety. My problem with BL's actions are just that - his actions. He didn't just get drubk and drive and weave acrossed the centerline and kill some one - he purposely chose to disregard many laws when he pulled out to pass several vehicles in a no passing zone. I know he was drunk, but to me that is not an excuse to just put the whole action under "drunken behavior". Someone who drinks heavy regularly can function much better than you or I at higher levels of BAC. I truely feel he disregarded the double yellow, which is what caused the resulting tradgedy. Alcohol was a factor, his disregard was the cause. I'm am sure he is a "Good Guy" - charitable and all. Like most I have several miles impaired driving under my belt and have learned a few things along the way. The one thing I never did or would do is ride two up while under the influence. so he disregarded the lady's life while on the bike before getting to the truck. And apparently he wasn't drunk enough to realize he didn't want to take a breath test the first time and actually fought off the police and hospital officials this time as they tried to draw blood. All said and done, I mourn another sensless biker tragedy (The scooter guy). I respect and defend the police for a thorough job. As for BL, I don't know, he's bonded out, probably wont face trial til the spring. He will probably get 12 years, serve 6 and be out before his 42nd birthday. He has time now til conviction to get his act together, get cleaned up. Get a good lawyer and plead guilty and ask for mercy from the court. I think it may be the best shot at getting through this with some sort of positive outcome in the future.

In the meantime, say a prayer and wish for strength for the family and friends of Gerry Morelock, a fisherman, two wheeler, musician, former child psychologist who quit because he couldn't handle seeing hurt children all the time, a nature lover and park ranger , by all accounts................ a "Good Guy"

2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

There really is a Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown........:)

KentuckyHarleyDude

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2006, 04:24:06 PM »

I started to reply right after Hubs post about the disease, then stopped myself.

I ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT THE TERM "DISEASE" MENT SOMETHING YOU MIGHT CONTRACT FROM EXPOSURE OR INHERIT NOT SOMETHING SELF INDUCED ..OR SOMETHING YOU HAD CONTROL OF BUT HAD NO SELF CONTROL .... SEEMS TO ME THAT IF YOU MAKE THE DECESION TO DRINK, SMOKE, GAMBLE OR DO DRUGS AND THEN GET HOOKED ON IT...ITS JUST A SELF IMPOSED ADDICTION NOT A DISEASE ... I HAVE ABSOLOUTLY NO COMPASSION FOR A DRUNK OR STONED DRIVER .... YOU DRIVE STUPID THEN STUPID THINGS HAPPEN .... JMHO..

BAMA
" Why Johnny Ringo ...you look like somone just ..walked across your grave"

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
  • Born to be wild - well, for a few days at least
« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2006, 05:27:05 PM »

Amen to that

Dave
If you're not living on the edge - you're taking up too much room!

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2006, 04:29:39 PM »

"... When all is said & done, more will be said than done."

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2006, 07:48:34 PM »

I ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT THE TERM "DISEASE" MENT SOMETHING YOU MIGHT CONTRACT FROM EXPOSURE OR INHERIT NOT SOMETHING SELF INDUCED ..OR SOMETHING YOU HAD CONTROL OF BUT HAD NO SELF CONTROL .... SEEMS TO ME THAT IF YOU MAKE THE DECESION TO DRINK, SMOKE, GAMBLE OR DO DRUGS AND THEN GET HOOKED ON IT...ITS JUST A SELF IMPOSED ADDICTION NOT A DISEASE ... I HAVE ABSOLOUTLY NO COMPASSION FOR A DRUNK OR STONED DRIVER .... YOU DRIVE STUPID THEN STUPID THINGS HAPPEN .... JMHO..

BAMA

The mystery of this disease lies in its inactive state.  It appears not to progress, when one is abstinate, but if he "falls off the wagon", then it rapidly returns, and displays signs of progression, as if one had never stopped.  It convinces one there is nothing wrong with him.  Alcoholism is most definitely a disease of the mind and body.  The American Medical Association ruled it as such, several years ago.  Be Thankful you ain't got it!  There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD    
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Ceej

• HD C-ustomer V-ery O-ften
  • Elite CVO Member
  • You've found CVOHarley.com, Now seek counseling...
« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2006, 08:12:14 PM »

Sure the AMA ruled that it is a disease, but by what standards? The 12 step programs and therapists say basically that if you have a drink to get buzzed then your an alcoholic - My azz - why else would you drink the stuff?? None of it tastes all that terrific to be honest, its relaxing - takes an edge off - yes - but if you drink because of these reasons then your an alcoholic they say. If you ever got drunk - ie. more than a buzz - then you've got a problem they say. It goes on and on and there full of it. This is why the disease gets no respect - be honest about it people - abuse is not a disease, I know 2 people that have the disease - truely drunks - it controlled them - period - you'll know it if you see it, would drink windex if they had to, for them and that disease - I feel.

For every Tom, Dick, or Harry that has a few too many, messes up and "Checks into a treatment facility" - they abused and screwed up, and the lawyers and shrinks that label it a disease do a disservice to legitimate sufferers.
2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

There really is a Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown........:)

johnlee

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2006, 07:45:10 AM »

The next time BL kills someone (and he will) the faimly of the next victum will feel so much better when they find out it was Billys disease that killed their loved one and "not Billy".

I copied the following entry from another forum and it describes Billy Lane and what he stands for.

Let's see, after "drinking throughout the day" he got on his bike (knowing he had a suspended license), left the strip club "Cheater's" with his 22-year-old groupy, got into his pickup and intentionally crossed a double line in order to pass law-abiding motorists and subsequently hit another law-abiding motorist head-on, killing him. Yeah, nothing bad about that.

"Furthermore, they asked him to take out the rubber band"

Are you assuming this or were you there?

"NO ONE WINS here!! Not Billy

RedFXR2

« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2006, 03:45:08 PM »

BK

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2006, 03:50:12 PM »

RedFXR2

« Reply #86 on: October 06, 2006, 08:29:31 AM »

Lane found "not guilty" iin NC.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 09:07:32 AM by RedFXR2 »

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #87 on: October 06, 2006, 10:42:15 AM »

...several witnesses who testified that Lane drank only [highlight]one beer[/highlight] that night in North Carolina.

Note that their testimony did not qualify the SIZE of that one beer.

One night I only drank a half-a-can of beer, but the "can" had a TAP on the top of it!!!

In a society where wealth and fame equate to legal priveledge, I only wish for wealth and fame. Wonder if the name O.J. Lane is appropriate????

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #88 on: October 06, 2006, 11:10:47 AM »

All the same, whatever the verdict in NC, Lane still has his legal problems in FL. There has been much discussion about the length of time it is taking/ has taken with regard to the facts at the scene. If you haven't read the article, the following is the FL Highway patrol's response to that criticizm:

"...Florida Highway Patrol spokeswoman Kim Miller said investigators are making sure they build a strong case before filing any charges. "Let's say we write him a ticket for crossing the yellow line and he goes to court. He could pay a fine and that would be it. We couldn't go back and charge him with the most serious charge in this case," Miller said. "The goal is not to put him in jail as soon as possible. We have to prove criminal intent, that he knowingly passed the double line and that alcohol was involved."

Guess we'll see where this goes in FL. I echo the majority ruling in this thread... The whole thing is just a big dam shame for all involved.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #89 on: October 06, 2006, 03:21:09 PM »

To add a personal note to this. Up until my recent surgery I was always of a mind that anyone with a substance abuse or alcohol problem was weak minded. In my view, everyone is responsible for their own actions. This is probably because I am the son of an abusive alcoholic. While I was recovering from my knee replacement [highlight]I was on Percocet for about two weeks[/highlight]. I woke up one day and decided I was not going to take it anymore and get by on extra strength Tylenol. Everything was fine til about 24 hrs since the last Percocet. I found myself doubled over with cramps, shaking and cold sweats. Never having experienced the " jones" but having known enough folks who had I called a buddy of mine who dovotes a lot of time to AA. He suggested I call my Dr. and get a lesser pain killer like Vicodin and then ease down to Tylenol. I did that and am fine, but have come away with an understanding of the physical mechanics of addiction. As such, I feel badly for having dissed off anyone with these issues as weak minded individuals. In the future I will try to pay attention to anyone in my circle of friends and family with problems of this nature and work with them if I can.

cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10  All

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 22 queries.