Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Too Much Heat !  (Read 4768 times)

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
Re: Too Much Heat !
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 10:46:27 PM »

The easiest way to cool it is take the lowers off, it's the cheapest too.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 10:53:58 PM »

The misty spritzer bottle is way cheaper than a tune, and you can keep it if you sell the bike!

Or we could all just skip the misty spritzer bottler move to Canada and leave the entire process to Mother Nature.  :nixweiss:

While there we could also tap into Murph's liqour cabinet to help chill further if needed. :2vrolijk_21:

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 10:57:53 PM »

The easiest way to cool it is take the lowers off, it's the cheapest too.
I'm not taking off my speakers!!!

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2013, 11:03:41 PM »

you could install a FL-XIED-10 its 100 bux - will richen the mixture just a bit - cool the engine - easy to remove when you take it to the dealer.

designed specifically to cool stone stock bikes. no computer, no big bux, no modifications

to

blacktop

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2013 - Anniversary #674
    • CVO3: 2021 CVO Limited Bronze
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 08:49:20 AM »

Tested and proven by hundreds/thousands:  Fullsac X pipe, 1.75" Cores (you don't want it loud), and TTS Mastertune with the canned map provided by Steve at Fullsac.  Best bang for the buck, great customer service, and a quality product.

The only way to really get rid of the heat is to get the Cat out of the headpipe.  Even then, the 110 is just a hot motor, period.  The cat adds a LOT of heat though...

Would the bike be any louder if one used the 1.75" Fullsac cores and removed the cat? I don't want it any louder than stock but would like to get rid of the heat from the cat.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 08:55:45 AM »

The best way to eliminate the heat from a Harley is to turn the ignition switch counterclockwise until things become very quiet.  This method is guaranteed to work every time.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

xsdbs

• Full CVO Member
  • 2012 CVO Street Glide
    • Vincent's Web Page
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 08:59:15 AM »

I'm not taking off my speakers!!!
I removed the vent doors from my lowers, keep the speakers, get more (cooling) air...

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 09:52:30 AM »

Would the bike be any louder if one used the 1.75" Fullsac cores and removed the cat? I don't want it any louder than stock but would like to get rid of the heat from the cat.

I had the FullSac 2" and 2.25" cores in my stock mufflers before going to a D&D FatCat with Performance cores and a ghost pipe. The 2.25" core was only slightly louder than the 2" so I would guess the 2" is only slightly louder than 1.75". If you're keeping the engine stock, then the 1.75" would be a nice modest upgrade with a freer flowing exhaust and only a very minimal increase in volume. My recommendation if you're planning to upgrade the muffler cores is to invest in an upgraded headpipe (without a Cat) and then store your stock Cat headpipe should the government decide to invade your privacy further and check the inside of your exhaust header. If they do, at least you could swap back to the stock headpipe.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 09:54:17 AM »

I removed the vent doors from my lowers, keep the speakers, get more (cooling) air...
Yeah that I don't mind  8)

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 02:16:46 PM »

I have the Fullsac 1.75" cores on my '07 cuse2 and they are definitely louder than stock . . . but not nearly as loud as the D&D Fat Cats I had previously (even with their 'quiet baffle.')  I use earplugs all the time so the Fullsacs are not at all objectionable but they do bark when you get on it.  A friend has the 2" Fullsacs and they are much louder than the 1.75" imo . . . and too loud for me.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

georgw221

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 03:12:06 PM »

If you want it Not any LOUDER than Stock and COOLER,,Try

1.Cycleshack's New Headpipe
2.Supertrapp Fatshots 
3.PV

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 03:53:13 PM »

Did you know that every new Harley sold in Canada comes with a standard snow shovel and chains for the tires? And did you know that the entire country of Canada has at least 6 feet of snow every month of the year and some places in Canada have 100 feet of snow?

Oh, forgot to mention that we all live in igloos and it is always at least -40 below..... ::)

Well, that about covers the cooling issues!

No one has mentioned cams in this thread yet. Getting ride of the AWFUL SE 255 cams with all of their early-on compression due to their very short intake duration (211) will allow the bike to run noticeably cooler, by improving the breathing and reducing the cranking pressure.

I used to run the Andrews 54H cams (238/238) when I had the Fullsac X-Pipe and 2" baffles (GREAT setup!), and now I run SE 259e cams with the Drago's S/C/S-4 2-1 pipe because the big Drago's pipe really needs the long duration (246/250) of these cams. This setup is LOUD... and I mean VERY LOUD! Just low growling tones tho... no tinny high-frequency noise.

Now that the Andrews 57H cams are out, those would be great with the X-pipe, too.

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 05:11:54 PM »

Yup, part of the problem is indeed created by the emission friendly cams.  On the other side of the coin, the stock cams pull very well from very low rpm, which is kind of nice with a 900 pound bagger.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2013, 06:15:24 PM »

Did you know that every new Harley sold in Canada comes with a standard snow shovel and chains for the tires? And did you know that the entire country of Canada has at least 6 feet of snow every month of the year and some places in Canada have 100 feet of snow?

Oh, forgot to mention that we all live in igloos and it is always at least -40 below..... ::)

Not my day obviously missed my Gold Key by 1 model year, the two story Igloo we put up over New Years is down to a single story with a droopy ceiling and now I find I've missed out my MOCO shovel and chains by less then 100 miles as the crow fly's........  :soapbox:   :antlers:

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2013, 07:29:32 PM »

Just removing the CAT will make the exhaust note louder than bone stock..

but I'm using the FULLSAC X-Pipe "C" version and the 1.75" baffles with the stock packing re-installed around the baffles. The exhaust note at idle will not bother anyone - when I accelerate strongly it bellows nicely (again not obnoxious IMHO) and at cruise it is deep and mellow without wearing you out. I can still hear the stereo system just fine and the wife and I can carry on a conversation while under way WITHOUT the headset thingies.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 21 queries.