Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Too Much Heat !  (Read 4786 times)

jdc916

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
Too Much Heat !
« on: January 09, 2013, 03:07:48 PM »

This has probably been discussed a million times but I need to post the issue again.
If you want / can direct me to the topic, that's cool.

2011 CVO Ultra    Runs too dang hot to enjoy the bike. Looking for a fairly inexpensive fix since $$$ are tight. I'd like to keep the stock pipes if possible.
I don't really want too much more noise. I had changed the pipes on my 08 and it got unbearable !
Can I go with just a tuner, or is that a waste of time if I dont at least get the cat out of the system ?

Also after sitting at a light, you have to gas it before letting out the clutch or it will stall.

Idea's / thoughts      it is completely stock at this point.

Thanks ! 

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
Re: Too Much Heat !
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 03:21:36 PM »

If you wanted the absolute cheapest approach for cooling your bike and not replacing a single stock component or even paying for a Dyno, then I would get a PowerVision (PV) with the new Autotuning software. Read here http://www.fuelmotousa.com/site/power-vision.html   and then talk to Jamie.

If you want to get the bike even cooler, replace the headpipe to eliminate the Cat, upgrade the mufflers to freer flowing, add the PV with a map from Jamie and you'll have both a cooler bike and a much more powerful bike.

If you really want some fun ($$$) and a cooler running bike, then get some high quality headwork, upgrade the throttlebody, injectors, cam and exhuast to a 2:1 PLUS a PV which will let you gather data for tuning the bike while you ride it, instead of wasting miles on a Dyno.

The good news with the PV is you will get a benefit from it with a stock bike and yet it will continously improve the bike's performance as you make upgrades without costing a single addition dime for the tuning.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 03:26:04 PM »

Tested and proven by hundreds/thousands:  Fullsac X pipe, 1.75" Cores (you don't want it loud), and TTS Mastertune with the canned map provided by Steve at Fullsac.  Best bang for the buck, great customer service, and a quality product.

The only way to really get rid of the heat is to get the Cat out of the headpipe.  Even then, the 110 is just a hot motor, period.  The cat adds a LOT of heat though...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 04:29:51 PM »

Tested and proven by hundreds/thousands:  Fullsac X pipe, 1.75" Cores (you don't want it loud), and TTS Mastertune with the canned map provided by Steve at Fullsac.  Best bang for the buck, great customer service, and a quality product.

The only way to really get rid of the heat is to get the Cat out of the headpipe.  Even then, the 110 is just a hot motor, period.  The cat adds a LOT of heat though...
Just to add one thing that wasn't mentioned since $$ was a concern. Fullsac (Steve) is a (Vendor) member of this site and offers members a discount. See this thread - Fullsac Performance.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 04:34:48 PM »

This has probably been discussed a million times but I need to post the issue again.

2011 CVO Ultra    Runs too dang hot to enjoy the bike. Looking for a fairly inexpensive fix since $$$ are tight. I'd like to keep the stock pipes if possible.
I don't really want too much more noise. I had changed the pipes on my 08 and it got unbearable !
Can I go with just a tuner, or is that a waste of time if I dont at least get the cat out of the system ?

Also after sitting at a light, you have to gas it before letting out the clutch or it will stall.

Thanks ! 

There's not. There will be tons of info with corroborating experiences to the contrary but IME, after about 80-100 miles, the ECM takes it back to factory AS FAR AS AIR FUEL RATIO go. I have tried SEVERAL fuel management systems as well as professional dynos. They make it run much better, but not cooler. YMMV (but I doubt it).

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 04:49:36 PM »

You could get one of those little misty bottles from the dollar store and give yourself a spritz at every convenience.

jdc916

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 04:54:04 PM »

You could get one of those little misty bottles from the dollar store and give yourself a spritz at every convenience.

Thanks Murphy !

And thanks to all the others so far, Murphy's did make me laugh !

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 05:02:55 PM »

Thanks ! 

1. get rid of that worthless catalytic converter!

2. Get a tune.

3. Problem solved

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

NYSport

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide, Skunk
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 06:52:33 PM »

1. get rid of that worthless catalytic converter!

2. Get a tune.

3. Problem solved

Pretty much says it.  I used the full sac and a dyno tune.  Runs great and it's much cooler.  I kept the stock pipes and still has great power and sounds just about perfect for me.
Former US Army
160th Little Bird Pilot

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 06:57:53 PM »

Pretty much says it.  I used the full sac and a dyno tune.  Runs great and it's much cooler.  I kept the stock pipes and still has great power and sounds just about perfect for me.
cat less, tune and lose the lowers above 70 degrees
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 07:16:33 PM »

There's not. There will be tons of info with corroborating experiences to the contrary but IME, after about 80-100 miles, the ECM takes it back to factory AS FAR AS AIR FUEL RATIO go. I have tried SEVERAL fuel management systems as well as professional dynos. They make it run much better, but not cooler. YMMV (but I doubt it).

I can speak for both the SEPST and the PowerVision since I've tuned extensively with both. Once you've made a change to the AFR table, the bike's ECM will follow only the values in the AFR table. The ECM has no ability to revert to any other AFR settings than what's in the cells for the table that is loaded to the bike.

If the AFRs are set to a ratio (or Lambda) that are within the closed loop mode for the factory O2 sensors, then the ECM will attempt to manage the VE values to achieve the AFR settings.

If your AFR cells are set to a richer cell # that makes the map go into "open loop", then the engine will get only the VEs settings that are in your VE tables. In other words, the ECM follows exactly what VEs are in the tables.

Either way, the ECM has no ability to change the AFR settings in the map you download into the bike.

From first hand experience I can state that an engine tuned with the Powervision's autotuning, will absolutely run cooler, provided the AFRs are made richer. (This is also true for any other tuner as well.) The advantage of the Powervision is that it provides a digital reading of engine temp while you are riding and stores 6 different maps on the bike. No other tuning device can provide this kind of real time data while you're riding. It also has the ability to easily change maps and then read the exact drop (or increase) in engine temp.

The real beauty of the PV is it's ability to autotune the map in open loop across the entire map using the factory O2 sensors to optimize both the performance and the engine operating temp without requiring a dyno.

I've used the PV's autotuning since it was released several months ago and it is without question the most significant engine tuning advancement (for the $) that has come to the market in a very long time. For the first time ever, an efi bike owner can now tune their bike's engine map using the STOCK O2 sensors across the ENTIRE range of RPMs/loads to optimize the performance of their bike without a Dyno. And then view the performance on the PV's screen while riding. It is the coolest tuning device on the market IMHO.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 07:20:51 PM by Heatwave »

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 08:10:29 PM »

I can speak for both the SEPST and the PowerVision since I've tuned extensively with both. Once you've made a change to the AFR table, the bike's ECM will follow only the values in the AFR table. The ECM has no ability to revert to any other AFR settings than what's in the cells for the table that is loaded to the bike.

If the AFRs are set to a ratio (or Lambda) that are within the closed loop mode for the factory O2 sensors, then the ECM will attempt to manage the VE values to achieve the AFR settings.

If your AFR cells are set to a richer cell # that makes the map go into "open loop", then the engine will get only the VEs settings that are in your VE tables. In other words, the ECM follows exactly what VEs are in the tables.

Either way, the ECM has no ability to change the AFR settings in the map you download into the bike.

From first hand experience I can state that an engine tuned with the Powervision's autotuning, will absolutely run cooler, provided the AFRs are made richer. (This is also true for any other tuner as well.) The advantage of the Powervision is that it provides a digital reading of engine temp while you are riding and stores 6 different maps on the bike. No other tuning device can provide this kind of real time data while you're riding. It also has the ability to easily change maps and then read the exact drop (or increase) in engine temp.

The real beauty of the PV is it's ability to autotune the map in open loop across the entire map using the factory O2 sensors to optimize both the performance and the engine operating temp without requiring a dyno.

I've used the PV's autotuning since it was released several months ago and it is without question the most significant engine tuning advancement (for the $) that has come to the market in a very long time. For the first time ever, an efi bike owner can now tune their bike's engine map using the STOCK O2 sensors across the ENTIRE range of RPMs/loads to optimize the performance of their bike without a Dyno. And then view the performance on the PV's screen while riding. It is the coolest tuning device on the market IMHO.
Thank you for taking the time to explain that very informative. I have the Power Vision and I have only so far used it to install a preloaded map that Fuelmoto provided when I made the purchase(it runs super). I have not used the autotune function yet but I would really like to once the weather gets back to nice.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 08:22:29 PM »

+1
Using this setup on my FLHTCUSE6 and loving it, and the cost was around 1100 bucks for all the needed parts with a couple hours labor in the garage on a rainy - or cold day this time of year. You will find a lot of us here using the Fullsac systems to get rid of the CAT and the associated heat.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 09:34:02 PM »

Thank you for taking the time to explain that very informative. I have the Power Vision and I have only so far used it to install a preloaded map that Fuelmoto provided when I made the purchase(it runs super). I have not used the autotune function yet but I would really like to once the weather gets back to nice.

Once you start using the autotune feature, you'll be able to lower the temp of the stock setup without spending another dime. Once you've lowered the AFRs in your engine map, the temps will come down further. Replacing the head pipe with a non-cat pipe combined with freer flowing mufflers will lower the temps even further. You'll be thrilled with the performance and cooler running engine as you learn more about the PV's capabilities and begin auto-tuning. Good luck.

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 10:09:17 PM »

The misty spritzer bottle is way cheaper than a tune, and you can keep it if you sell the bike!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 22 queries.