Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reducing Reach on Breakout??  (Read 10265 times)

Dobeman2000

• Senior CVO Member
  • His and Hers

• CVO1: 2013 Red Breakout
    • CVO2: 2013 Gold Breakout
Reducing Reach on Breakout??
« on: January 14, 2013, 02:58:58 PM »

Is there anything simple I could do in order to reduce the reach a bit on the handlebars of my breakout, like some risers?  Not a major problem, but would be nice if they were a bit closer.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 03:23:02 PM by Dobeman2000 »

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Reducing Reach on Breakout??
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 03:24:53 PM »

Simplest would be to loosen the 4 (?) bolts which hold the handle bars and make sure the bars are rotated back as far as they'll go.  That may help a little.  Short of changing out the bars, these might work as well:

Softail® Slim Pullback Riser Kit
Ideal for riders with a short reach or for those that prefer an upright riding position, these curved risers and the matching handlebar clamp are shaped to put the Original Equipment Softail® Slim handlebar closer to the rider. Designed for easy installation, these 4.5" high risers are compatible with the stock control cables and brake lines for a low-cost conversion. Provides 1.75" of rise and 1.5" of pull back compared to the stock FLS riser.
Fits '12 FLS with no additional components. Also fits most 1" diameter handlebars with separate purchase of additional components. Does not fit Springer® models. Riser height 4.5".

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Dobeman2000

• Senior CVO Member
  • His and Hers

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 03:39:27 PM »

Guessing the diameter of the bars is 1.25 on the Breakout.  Also, if I adjust the bars will I also need to adjust the controls that are fastened to the bars as well?  I see that most of the risers Harley makes don't fit- will check out the ones you mention with a dealer and see if they work with the Breakout.  Thanks

Simplest would be to loosen the 4 (?) bolts which hold the handle bars and make sure the bars are rotated back as far as they'll go.  That may help a little.  Short of changing out the bars, these might work as well:

Softail® Slim Pullback Riser Kit
Ideal for riders with a short reach or for those that prefer an upright riding position, these curved risers and the matching handlebar clamp are shaped to put the Original Equipment Softail® Slim handlebar closer to the rider. Designed for easy installation, these 4.5" high risers are compatible with the stock control cables and brake lines for a low-cost conversion. Provides 1.75" of rise and 1.5" of pull back compared to the stock FLS riser.
Fits '12 FLS with no additional components. Also fits most 1" diameter handlebars with separate purchase of additional components. Does not fit Springer® models. Riser height 4.5".

« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 03:50:48 PM by Dobeman2000 »

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout-crimson red
    • CVO2: 2012 V-Rod/10th Anniversary edition..well it SHOULD have been a CVO!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 07:46:38 PM »

Guessing the diameter of the bars is 1.25 on the Breakout.  Also, if I adjust the bars will I also need to adjust the controls that are fastened to the bars as well?  I see that most of the risers Harley makes don't fit- will check out the ones you mention with a dealer and see if they work with the Breakout.  Thanks

Hey Dobe

when you roll the bars back to get them closer, the controls will roll back as well.  If you don't have to rotate the bars back very far to get a good fit, the controls might still be in an ok place.  Otherwise the brake and clutch will likely roll up too high to be used comfortably(at least that's what I have found in the past).

I have not looked on the Breakout but on all the other HD's I have had, there are two torx screws in each group of controls that need loosening in order to roll the control pods back to a comfortable position.  very simple adjustment.....If you have a torx driver, of course!

2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount
2012 10th Anniversary V-Rod, TAB slash-cut exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 Pro Tuner

Dobeman2000

• Senior CVO Member
  • His and Hers

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 09:45:35 PM »

Z06- I Have plenty of torx drivers (anyone who has a harley and does any work has many).  Speaking of torx, just put on the sissy bar tonight, and like others have commented the color of the sissy bar pad that was sent to me is also darker than the seat.  Back to the handlebars- so you have rolled the handlebars back before?  If you could explain the step by step process I would be grateful.  thanks

Hey Dobe

when you roll the bars back to get them closer, the controls will roll back as well.  If you don't have to rotate the bars back very far to get a good fit, the controls might still be in an ok place.  Otherwise the brake and clutch will likely roll up too high to be used comfortably(at least that's what I have found in the past).

I have not looked on the Breakout but on all the other HD's I have had, there are two torx screws in each group of controls that need loosening in order to roll the control pods back to a comfortable position.  very simple adjustment.....If you have a torx driver, of course!

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout-crimson red
    • CVO2: 2012 V-Rod/10th Anniversary edition..well it SHOULD have been a CVO!
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 09:58:44 PM »

Z06- I Have plenty of torx drivers (anyone who has a harley and does any work has many).  Speaking of torx, just put on the sissy bar tonight, and like others have commented the color of the sissy bar pad that was sent to me is also darker than the seat.  Back to the handlebars- so you have rolled the handlebars back before?  If you could explain the step by step process I would be grateful.  thanks

Have not changed the orientation of the bars on my Breakout, but I have on other HD's:

1.allen wrench-loosen the 4 bolts holding the riser clamp in place
2.when bars are loose enough to move, roll them back to the desired reach point, and re-tighten the 4 allen bolts on the riser clamp.
3.using the torx driver, loosen the two torx screws on the clutch side and brake side control groups(on the Breakout these are conveniently located at the very end of each control "pod" on the left and the right.
4.rotate the left side and ride side control pods so that the reach of the clutch and brake are comfortable as well as comfortably reaching the button controls(blinkers, horn, cruise, etc)
5.re-tighten the two torx bolts on each control pod and boom, you are done!
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount
2012 10th Anniversary V-Rod, TAB slash-cut exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 Pro Tuner

Dobeman2000

• Senior CVO Member
  • His and Hers

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 09:26:39 AM »

Awesome, thanks alot z06- will give it a shot here shortly.

Have not changed the orientation of the bars on my Breakout, but I have on other HD's:

1.allen wrench-loosen the 4 bolts holding the riser clamp in place
2.when bars are loose enough to move, roll them back to the desired reach point, and re-tighten the 4 allen bolts on the riser clamp.
3.using the torx driver, loosen the two torx screws on the clutch side and brake side control groups(on the Breakout these are conveniently located at the very end of each control "pod" on the left and the right.
4.rotate the left side and ride side control pods so that the reach of the clutch and brake are comfortable as well as comfortably reaching the button controls(blinkers, horn, cruise, etc)
5.re-tighten the two torx bolts on each control pod and boom, you are done!

dirtdobber

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 01:33:22 AM »

The breakout has the speedo/tach mounted to the top bridge so you will need to find a set that fits the bars and speedo. Maybe a seat that will push you forward some. Rolling the bars is a good start to see how much you need em closer.
2012 CVO street glide, 2010 Dyna wide glide SS 106

Dell boy

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 07:03:52 AM »

Yeah the lower clamp covers up the wiring for the warning lamps so risers will expose this lot as they all seem to be seperate and look messy, I had the issue with my 07 Fatty of 1.25 bars and wanting pull back risers and HD after 4 years finally produced some. I think if you have to get closer then its a seat change which is a shame or better option bar change. I have pulled mine back on the clamps as far as poss now waiting for the snow to go to do a long ride.

Dobeman2000

• Senior CVO Member
  • His and Hers

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 10:17:35 AM »

I know I won't be putting a different seat on (part of what makes the red Breakout stand out in the crowd).  I will try rolling the bars.  Not a huge deal one way or the other.  Would just like the reach to be reduced a bit.  Thanks for the tip on the speedo.  I have a bunch of torx drivers/sockets so I am sure I will have the tools neccesary.

The breakout has the speedo/tach mounted to the top bridge so you will need to find a set that fits the bars and speedo. Maybe a seat that will push you forward some. Rolling the bars is a good start to see how much you need em closer.

Page created in 0.271 seconds with 21 queries.