Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: WI -Hold Up  (Read 1948 times)

mfgreen

WI -Hold Up
« on: August 10, 2004, 10:13:01 PM »

Buffalo and Trempealeau counties don't have a whole lot of paved roads. And I am not certain that all of the roads I have on this map are paved. I will check them out this spring and remove any that turn out to be gravel. I have been on about 1/4 of these roads and can't say that they are all that great. Hwy 95 out of Fountain City seems fairly new lots of corners and very little gravel. I would compare it to Hwy 33 in La Crosse County. The reason this is called Hold Up is because of Hansens Hold Up Bar & Grill, located on Hwy 95 west of Arcadia. AWESOME place you have to go there.I have seen more bikers cruising these roads than all the rest I have been on put together.

http://www.wisconsinmotorcycling.com/maps/images/holdup.gif

Route
I went on three runs in this direction last year. Both times we took 35 all the way. Obviously there are several other choices. Maybe 35 out of Centerville to G and then J up to Arcadia and then 95 over to Hansens for some great food. And then E over to 88 and then up to E again and take that into Alma. Alma has a really fantastic overlook which I believe is located on Cnty E. You can also find some great roads off 53 N, but I am not sure if there is anything worth seeing in that direction. Ill find out this year. If you are in Winona or MN in general you can come across the river on the Bridge on Hwy 54. Cautions
Once again watch out on those County roads. Doesn't seem like these counties spend a whole lot on their roads, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a Blacktop road turn into gravel after a few miles into it, but I don't know that for sure. There is normally alot of traffic on 93 due to people driving to work at Golden Plump. And again, gravel may be on the corners or the roads may be in rough shape so be careful in the corners. Watch out for idiots that decide to cross the road right in front of you.

Law Enforcement
I don't know a whole lot about the Law Enforcement in this area. I suggest giving them some respect like all the others and that will help things out. We were followed out of Alma by a Buffalo County officer one trip, its the longest time I drove under 60 for a very long time. If you are going to run fast, keep an eye out for them, thats all I can tell ya. Appologies, maybe I will learn more this summer. The Highways are patrolled regularly. Every time I have been up this way I have seen at least one patrol car. Thats one more than I normally see on the other runs Through, La Crosse, Vernon and Crawford Counties

Fuel and rest stops
Fuel is available in Arcadia, Trempealeau, Galesville, Ettrick, Fountain City, Cochrane and Alma. There are a few rest stops along 35. Trempealeau has a great park near the river. Alma lookout is a fantastic place to stop as well. Places to Eat
HANSEN'S HOLD UP of course! The place is biker heaven. If you go there on a decent summer day, you just might have a hard time finding a place to park. Some of the other smaller towns have places to eat, but I will have to investigate further this summer. You can always hop across the river on 54 into Winona to grab some fast food, or find a good restaurant to eat at. There is also a bar in Centerville where you can meet alot of bikers. One of the first Ducatis I have seen in this area was at that bar.

Things To See
Visit these sites for more info.
Trempealeau County
Buffalo County
Trempealeau
Fountain City
Arcadia
Galesville
Alma

Alternate Roads
54 will take you across the Mississippi to MN. 35 N will take you to Nelson and Pepin. 88 will take you to Mondovi and I-94 if you keep going for a county or two. 93 will take you to Independance and then on to Eau Claire if you drive through the rest of the county and half of Eau Claire county. 54 will take you to Northbend and Melrose and then onto
I-94. 95 will take you to hwy 121 and then to I-94. and 53 will take you to Blair, whitehall and eventually to Hwy 95

Riding Style
The Highways are a lot of fun. 35 and 93 can be a bit boring because they are fairly straight. 95 could be a lot of fun until you get caught for double the limit. Basically ride it the way you want, if you get pulled over for speeding,, its not my problem. =:) .  

Emergency Numbers
All emergencies 911 Of course.
La Crosse Police, 608-785-5952
La Crosse Cnty Police, 608-785-5942
Information Numbers
La Crosse Weather dial 608-782-4500 and then 1100

Bike Repairs & Supplies
All in La Crosse:
Steiger Kawasaki Suzuki KTM 608-788-4514
Two Brothers Honda 608-781-3360
R&J Motorsports (Yamaha) 608-785-1077
La Crosse Harley Davidson 608-783-6112
Ettrick
Krank It Motorsports 608-525-7720
Winona
Harley Davidson of Winona 507-454-4578
Polaris & Victory Cycles 507-452-3213
Rocks Hog Parts 507-454-0761
Harris Motorcycle Equipment 507-452-6797

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 20 queries.