Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Paint issue-don't want to bum everybody out, but.....  (Read 6202 times)

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout-crimson red
    • CVO2: 2012 V-Rod/10th Anniversary edition..well it SHOULD have been a CVO!
Paint issue-don't want to bum everybody out, but.....
« on: January 21, 2013, 06:59:31 PM »

hey folks,

I know it's been all positive talk thus far amid folks waiting for their bikes, but I just wanted to give you a heads up to be on the lookout...

When I was at the dealer getting my exhaust put on, they were checking the bike over with a fine tooth comb.  

on the very front of the front fender, paint was peeling just under the lip along that ridge for about 4 inches...Yikes!!  Dealer took lot's of pictures and called me today.  when standing in front of the bike, if you look hard, you can just see the paint peel starting to reveal itself up onto the top front surface.

The MoCo told him they would replace the fender...didn't even need to see the pictures, no questions asked(dealer says usually they want to see pix to determine if the damage was caused by road debris, rocks, etc)

Gunslinger is going to ship out a new fender in a couple of weeks and they will do the swap.

I have heard about CVO quality issues many times, particularly in the areas of paint and the 110 motor....I was hoping those were a thing of the past......

Jeff
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount
2012 10th Anniversary V-Rod, TAB slash-cut exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 Pro Tuner

Born2Live

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: FLHXSE 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: VRSCF 2013 V Rod Muscle
Re: Paint issue-don't want to bum everybody out, but.....
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 09:19:47 PM »

Thanks for the heads up!  At least they are taking care of it but still a little bit of downer
Fuelmoto 2-1-2 Jackpot Headers
Fuelmoto FLH E Series Mufflers - 14 discs

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 11:24:05 PM »

That sucks!  I know that Harley really takes care of the CVO owners....they got my tank swapped in 2 days.  I wonder if its because it NOT the bare metal paint job....or is your bike first run...uhhhhh it's probably just bad luck.

The front or rear?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 11:36:34 PM by Nicky Pass »

Fisherman

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout Hard Candy Gold
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 05:53:42 AM »

Hi there well i always thought it would be a bit or a gamble with the paint work looking like an art project ,and maybe that's why MoCo subbed out the work with that is  most likely to have the most customer complaints.  So lets hope Gunslinger honer what ever agreement they have  with the MoCo, thats if my thoughts are correct , any body out there no the history of Gunslinger ? also anybody with duff paint work on a gold one ?.

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 06:07:37 AM »

That sucks!  I know that Harley really takes care of the CVO owners....they got my tank swapped in 2 days.  I wonder if its because it NOT the bare metal paint job....or is your bike first run...uhhhhh it's probably just bad luck.

The front or rear?

Hey Nicky,

Front fender.  just under the front lip
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 07:25:53 AM »

Hey Nicky,

Front fender.  just under the front lip

Maybe it because the red ones aren't bare metal there.  Either way, they should get it for you quick because the bike is in production.

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 09:24:25 AM »

Like a paranoid freak that I am, I went to my parents house where the bike is stored and checked mine out....its fine.  I looked at it real good, the bare metal part ends at that lip, and I'm not sure if the whole underside of the fender is black paint.....or coated.  Either way....may the harley gods shine upon you and your beauty swiftly!

cbdeluxe

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 05:30:05 PM »

I had a problem with my rear fender where about an inch long section of
the pinstripe flaked off. Called my selling dealer and they contacted HD and
they gave me a reference # and I had my local dealer order a new one, no
problems. Kind of makes you worry about future issues with paint when
the warranty expires.

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 05:38:03 PM »

If I start having paint issues, I'm just going to sell it.  Seriously....a $26-30K bike should be of the utmost quality.

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 06:16:37 PM »

If I start having paint issues, I'm just going to sell it.  Seriously....a $26-30K bike should be of the utmost quality.

OH don't say it!!  This bike is so unique I could never sell it. I am hoping these little "niggly" issues we may see at the outset are nothing more than initial quality issues, and won't exist further down the line.  I can say I have had a 2008 Softail Custom, 2005 V-Rod, 2008 Sportster and 2012 V-rod, and except for just a couple of initial very minor issues, they were all rock solid reliable for me.

But, I bought the 5 year ESP warranty with this CVO just in case major problems occur later on.

I'm trying to be the glass half-full guy here, you know?

cbdeluxe

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 06:45:02 PM »

Yea, I also purchased the extended warranty but I do not think it would
cover paint defects :nixweiss:

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 06:54:54 PM »

Since reading this thread, I've check my bike with a fine tooth comb.  Then I made the mistake of searching "Paint issues"......I had no idea about the troubles on CVOs.  Engine gray flaking off...missing pin stripes....milky clear coat.  I'd rather sell and not have to deal with it.  The pain on my Deluxe and Street Glide were great!  I hope the Breakout will be the same....

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 07:21:25 PM »

Yea, I also purchased the extended warranty but I do not think it would
cover paint defects :nixweiss:

Oh, I think you are absolutely right.  I was just making the point that I have menally(and financially) prepared myself for possible major problems in the distant future(like motor/mechanical issues)

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 07:23:39 PM »

Since reading this thread, I've check my bike with a fine tooth comb.  Then I made the mistake of searching "Paint issues"......I had no idea about the troubles on CVOs.  Engine gray flaking off...missing pin stripes....milky clear coat.  I'd rather sell and not have to deal with it.  The pain on my Deluxe and Street Glide were great!  I hope the Breakout will be the same....

HA, yea, I was not going to mention that since I brought this whole subject up.    Didn't want to be a complete downer.  The two things I have read a LOT about on CVO's going back several years are paint defects and various problems with the 110 motor.  that one shocks me.  The 110 has been around how long and there are still what seem to me to be a high number of problems with them...

Like you, I am hoping it's clear sailing with the Breakout....

Frank FX

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Prostreet Breakout
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 07:36:43 PM »

My 2011 CVO Convertible sustained some paint damage while on the road last summer.A window blew out of an SUV in front of me and sent glass shards everywhere. Thankfully my insurance covered the damage to the front fender and tank.I insisted they replace the rear fender also, which they did. So glad because the paint from the original parts and the replacements were a bit different. Same Roman Gold and Maple metallic but a bit more flake in the new parts that was very noticeable. So make sure you get a correct match. The Breakout is too nice to be anything but perfect. Good Luck, Frank
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.