Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FXR3 turn signal relocation  (Read 6862 times)

Deerhead

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 1999 FXR3
    • CVO2: 2000 FLTRSEI
FXR3 turn signal relocation
« on: September 11, 2006, 07:35:24 PM »

I am going to mount the original FXR saddlebags on my FXR3 for the Rally and this will require relocating the turn signal lights. The original FXR's had a straight bar 'behind' the license plate holder for the turn signals. Does anybody know of some aftermarket turn signals that will fit and look good? I don't want anything small! Safety First!! OLD People must be able to see them!
Thanks
Robert
IBA Member #11042
1999 FXR3 Green
2000 FLTRSEI Triple Red (Gone but not forgotten)
2018 BMW R1200RT

RedFXR2

Re: FXR3 turn signal relocation
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 08:28:26 PM »

And here I just got through moving mine back to the stock location, throwing away the chrome bar that HD sells for relocating the signals behind the license plate. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  

I've never seen any signal lights that were appreciably larger than stock, more often they're smaller, custom models.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 08:47:15 PM by RedFXR2 »

Deerhead

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 08:59:44 PM »

Red
Shame on you! You know better that to throw anything away. Put it in a box and in the attic.
I just found my OEM bolts from puting on my throw over saddlebags. Had to take the fender support OEM bolts off and replace them with the bolts that came with the mounts.
I'll buy your old setup if you can find it.
Thanks
Robert
IBA Member #11042
1999 FXR3 Green
2018 BMW R1200RT

RedFXR2

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 09:51:29 PM »

Actually, it was still lying on my workbench.

Buy?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 10:07:10 PM by RedFXR2 »

Deerhead

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

Re: FXR3 turn signal relocation--THANKS
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 08:31:08 PM »

Red
Got the bar and I will make good use of it. Thank you very much. I'll buy a round somewhere, sometime.
This completes the part gathering. Tomorrow, the GPS power/audio cord gets wired, turn signals relocated, throw over saddlebag mounts removed, FXR saddlebag brackets, etc. installed, SAE plug for electric gear hooked up, and then I'll take a little shake down cruise see if it all works. Also, installing two handlebar switches for the GPS and Highway lights using the new Harley chrome switch housing, left side, because my highway light switch is already located there. I'll take before and after pictures so you can see what a 'touring' modern FXR looks like. I still have a portable Cobra CB that I hook to a belt, maybe one of these days. I installed the helmet speakers, with no microphone for GPS today.
Does anybody know of a quick disconnect that I could install on the turn signal wiring so I can re-relocate the turn signals back if I ever wanted to?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 08:40:28 PM by Deerhead »
Thanks
Robert
IBA Member #11042
1999 FXR3 Green
2018 BMW R1200RT

RedFXR2

Re: FXR3 turn signal relocation--THANKS
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 09:02:01 AM »

Red
Got the bar and I will make good use of it. Thank you very much.

You're welcome--gald it came in handy.

... GPS power/audio cord gets wired, turn signals relocated, throw over saddlebag mounts removed, FXR saddlebag brackets, etc. installed, SAE plug for electric gear hooked up,... two handlebar switches for the GPS and Highway lights using the new Harley chrome switch housing, left side, because my highway light switch is already located there. I'll take before and after pictures so you can see what a 'touring' modern FXR looks like.

You mean like this?:

Does anybody know of a quick disconnect that I could install on the turn signal wiring so I can re-relocate the turn signals back if I ever wanted to?

Instead of soldering the wires together, I suppose you could solder them to male/female barrel plug connectors(?)  Take a look at Radio Shack--they have a bunch of connectors you might be able to use.

Deerhead

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

Re: FXR3 turn signal relocation--THANKS AGAIN
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 10:35:08 AM »

Red
I'd love to buy a 'touring' FXR like your picture. It's not yours is it? Is it for sale? As soon as my motorcycle dealings have settled down I'll have time to look into a touring model FXR. I have always liked them. However, I have a very good lead on a gizzer glide ultra anniversary model that may or may not be the next Harley Rehkopfmobile, and a very good lead/deal on a 2004 BMW K1200RS replacing my 1998 BMW K1200RS 'checkerboard'. If I have more than 3 bikes at one time my wife will divorce me.  I have a friend who says he has an overwhelming urge to reduce his assets by 50% every 7 years, i.e. divorce! I have no such urge.

Thanks again for all you help.

Ps I have been able to move my shock adjuster to 4.5 rings, so I believe there are 5. More WD-40 required.
Thanks
Robert
IBA Member #11042
1999 FXR3 Green
2018 BMW R1200RT

RedFXR2

Re: FXR3 turn signal relocation--THANKS AGAIN
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 11:13:17 AM »

Red
I'd love to buy a 'touring' FXR like your picture. It's not yours is it?

Nope.  Not my bike. :'(

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 06:02:42 PM »

I was reviewing older "threads" this afternoon and thought I would post an option to anyone that may be reading this "thread" because they own an FXR3 here is an option for modification of rear turn signals if you like.....and while this is talking about my FXR2 with the note below you could possibly do this modifcation with some additional alterations read and see:

http://groups.msn.com/HarleyTechTalk/evo1340.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=1123373&LastModified=4675623513766851951

ADDITIONAL NOTE:

The saddlebags are difficult to find....as they are no longer a "option" being offered directly from HD. The saddlebags were originally priced at $350 each when offered through HD as "accessory" parts.  One can find them occassionally on Ebay and sometimes other sources have had them.  Anyway I was fortunate enough to locate 2 brand new never before used bags for around $440.00.  The cost associated with all of the hardware is around $180.00 when one factors in the "relocation" of the turn signals.  All of the hardware is actually still available through HD as of this writing.  The laid down license plate that I incorporated with the relocation of my turn signals is simply one from JP Cycles and  is manufactured by Custom Chrome.  Essentially with the "detachable" aspect my bike is ready for       TOURING or back to a look without bags in a mere 2 minutes....The saddle bags while somewhat small still are capable of carrying tools, rain gear, water, etc.   If one were to decide to use this set up with an FXR3 or an FXR4 it would require some "drilling" of the side pannels as one of the "pins" to fasten the saddlebag to is secured to the frame under the "coverage" area of the plastic side pannels.  The FXR2 does not have this issue as you will see that the side pannels on these bikes have less coverage due to their smaller size.  If one decides not to drill their "original" side covers....one could always purchase a second set of side covers to then drill them while not harming the original ones....I am not saying this would be cost effective, but merely a "plausable" option.

RedFXR2

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 09:41:30 AM »

Where is Deerhead?  Another "regular" gone. :(

I moved the turn signals back to stock location because I discovered that my saddlebags could be used without relocating the signals.  Who knows why the original owner did that, as I also got the bags from him.

Deerhead

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2012, 06:45:39 PM »

Red,
I'm still around, but have issues. I was knocked out by a falling tree limb and I'm back in the hunt for some arts for the FXR3. I just actually got the bike set up when it Happened, CB radio, Harley FXR saddlebags, Harley Zumo 665, and $800 worth of new shocks and services and two weeks later this happened.
Now I need the relocation kit that I didn't keep the number, and the OEM turn signals which are not made anymore. But I'm still hear by the grace of God!
Ride Safe,
Robert
Thanks
Robert
IBA Member #11042
1999 FXR3 Green
2018 BMW R1200RT

lucille

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 09:54:58 PM »

Just to expand on Tim's post#8 ..... the original FXR sidecovers are the smaller ones that Tim mentioned.  They are notorious for pulling the 'well-nuts' out through the hole in the frame gusset. They never stay snug.  I modified the 'well-nuts' a little bit.  Used longer Allen head bolts so that they went through the 'well-nuts' and threaded into modified 'wing-nuts'.  The 'wing-nuts' have a small hole drilled into each wing, and a wire threaded through them with a small loop so you can hold them in place while you thread in the Allen head bolts.

They never come loose! ..... and so easy to tighten up.
I had a pair of the FXR 'mainstay' chromed metal sidecovers ... scratched, and not very attractive.  Had them powdercoated 'wet black' ....... look great, and my FXR buddies wonder where they came from.
That is one great lookin' FXRT ....
FXR Turn Signal Relocation Kit  # 68512-89

Greg
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 10:02:54 PM by lucille »
'92 FXRS Lowrider.....
'91 FXRT.....113 S&S...6 speed

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 21 queries.