Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Quick release for tour pack and relocate amp  (Read 24200 times)

Bobgratton1969

• Vive l'acadie!
Quick release for tour pack and relocate amp
« on: February 01, 2013, 11:02:03 AM »

Hi guys, I am new at this since I just bought my first ever Harley Davidson. It is a 2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic Electra Glide. I am now looking at placing a quick release kit for my Tour Pack. I have read different stuff about similar cases but not really answering my questions. So here they are:
 - I have heard about lots of ratteling noises after the quick release kit for the tour pack was installed, is it true or it's just not installed correctly?
 - Where is the best place to relocate my amp??? Inside the front fairing, inside one of my saddlebags or is there a better place???

Thanks in advance!
Proud to be one of the HD guys!!!!
Stéphane

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Quick release for tour pack and relocate amp
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 01:57:30 PM »

its going to really difficult to move the amp. on that year the wiring went from the head unit to the speakers - and then from the speakers to the amp and back. so there is a 4 wire cable going from the amp up thru the bike to the head end. none of the wire will reach and will have to be custom reworked to where ever you put the amp. if you put it in the bag nothing much can go in there because the amp has to have ventilation so it wont overheat.

anything can be done with the application of lots of cash.

most will suggest to install all new replacement aftermarket parts in the front end at the head unit, then the rear speakers when unplugged wont have side issues. [dont let the wires short] you will also have to deal with the intercom cable

and you will need to have alternate antenna locations figured out.

and if the amp is in something like a saddle bag that has to be removed for maint - make sure you provide proper plugs to do so.

to

Bobgratton1969

• Vive l'acadie!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 02:02:20 PM »

Well, will my front speakers and radio still work if I remove the amp?

Thanks for your insight and suggestions Timo! Very much appreciated!

« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 02:04:59 PM by Bobgratton1969 »
Stéphane

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 02:07:53 PM »

nothing will work with the amp removed - you have to re connect wires at the speakers to make them work. & then reverse with the amp back on.

it really IS a pita

several have done it - there is one guy on this site that has a step by step pictures - over a hundred feet of new wire to make it all right and work properly. not for the faint of heart and not for the tight of wallet.

to

Bobgratton1969

• Vive l'acadie!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 02:30:18 PM »

I understand,  :-[, Thank you very much!
Stéphane

GeogiaCVOrider

• Full CVO Member
  • 2012 CVO Ultra Classic
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 12:05:32 AM »

I just completed this on my bike. I relocated my amp in the saddle bag. It will fit nicely along the front for the bag, giving you plenty of room to put items in the bag and still use 3/4 of the bag. Wire is long enough if you run it under the top frame rail and into the right side cover, then bring it in right in front of the front siddle bag lockin pin. No cutting on the amp wiring at all. I put the radio antenna in the fairing. I then made quick disconnects under the seat for the other wires and rolled the CB wire up under the seat. I can change it out within 5 minutes.
The question you will have to ask yourself is how much do you want to do it.
I for one love it, I now have two bikes in one. As for the tour pack making noise, mine is new and there is none. If noise does start, it would be because the small bushings are starting to get flat spots at the docking points and I will change them out at that time and that will be years from now for me because I will most likely ride 70% of the time with the TP off.
I ride with 6 other guys. They thought of me as the one with the old man's bike while they ride street glides and fatboys. Now they think they may have bought the wronge bikes and I am always the one up front because I have the GPS. Having a screaming eagle doesn't hurt either, it's the fastest as well and removing the TP just made it lighter, and faster.
Georgia CVO Rider
Ride it until the wheels fall off, then hang-on

gtaboyz

• Junior CVO Member
  • Diamond Black Inferno Orange SESG

• CVO1: '04 SEEG Orange / Black
    • CVO2: '10 SESG Tequilla Sunrise
    • CVO3: '11 SESG Diamond Black / Inferno Orange
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 01:03:29 AM »

Congrats on your purchase, you definatey made two great dissions, the first was buying a Harley and the second was chosing to get a CVO. Now let the customizing begin!!!!
So Far....120.5HP/120.5TQ....Screamin' Eagle Pro110 Upgrade, 10.5:1 High Compression Pistons, SE-259E Cams, Baisley Adjustable Pushrods, Baisley Heads, SE 58mm Throttle Body, SE High Flow Injectors, High Performance Clutch Spring, SE Pro Super Tuner, SE Heavy Breather, D&D Fat Cat 2:1 Exhaust w/ Left Side Falsie, Chrome Inner Primary, Chrome 1.4KW Starter, HD Saddle Bag Lid Speakers w/ Rear Amp, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak, Custom Alligator Seat, Dakota Digital Hidden Antenna, Zumo 665, +++

Fed68

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 04:27:49 PM »

I did the tour pak quick disconnect on my bike.  I love it.  I have the best of both worlds.  Most of time it is spent without the tour pak on.  The only time the tour pak see's the bike is when the other half is riding with me or I go on a long trip.  Takes me about 10 minutes to switch from one to the other.

My bike is an 08 with 15,000 on the clock and I have not noticed any rattles.  As far as the amp, at first my amp was located in the original position and it made it very tricky to put the tour pak back on.  You have to be very careful because there is not alot of room between the amp and the fender.  I ended up removing my amp and went with a J&S system.  Not so much because of location, but because I wanted a better system.

Good Luck.

Bobgratton1969

• Vive l'acadie!
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 08:29:57 PM »

Thanks everybody and a special thanks to GeorgiaCVOrider for your help, I now will be planing to move my amp in the right saddlebag and enjoy my two Bikes!!
Hey GeorgiaCVOrider, do you have any pics of the before and after of the transformation of your bike???????

:mango:
Stéphane

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 10:25:09 PM »

remember - each years wiring is different. and while in the past whole classes of hd's had the same basic harness - each year more and more they make specific harness for each year and each model. so what works on a 09 wont on a 07 and vice versa.

07's had the wire to the amp go to and from the speakers - for the rear pods - there are 6 wires going to the speaker pods - two from the front - then two from those to the amp and two back from the amp to the speaker. same at the front - two from the head unit to the speaker and then two from there to the amp and then back to the speakers up front.

later at some point there is a wire from the head unit to the amp and then to the speakers. - much simpler

note that if the cb cord is wound up - the cb cant be on and wont work. however if you replace the antenna and move it it will still work.

as always - do whatever you want - be sure to have the full wiring diagrams in hand. take it as a challenge to be overcome and do your homework. it will work - but it wont be a easy bolt up deal.

the mechanical part is really easy.

to

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 05:15:59 AM »

The best $$$ you'll spend on your bike are to buy the 2007 HD Touring Model Service Manual, AND the 2007 FLHTCUSE Supplement.

Bobgratton1969

• Vive l'acadie!
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 07:05:21 AM »

I understand why the manual would come handy but what are those supplements you refer too?
What would be a good amp that would fit in my front fairing and wouldn't cost me my shirt? Would I have to change my speakers too???
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 11:34:05 AM by Bobgratton1969 »
Stéphane

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 12:11:18 PM »

Having an '07 also, My amp and speakers were replaced years ago. The problem with the OEM amp is it needs to be air cooled, hence it's stock placement. Maybe not a problem for you up in Canada.  ;D As I recall, the front speakers will work without the amp, but it may require some splicing. If you have the $$ an after market amp and speakers is the way to go. They (after market amps) can be under fairing mounted as they don't require air cooling and they are not too difficult to install. Also remember with the detach you will loose your CB without an antenna and you will need either an additional external or under the fairing radio antenna.

GeogiaCVOrider

• Full CVO Member
  • 2012 CVO Ultra Classic
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 01:27:04 PM »

I will have to get you a before picture but here is an after picture.
Georgia CVO Rider

GeogiaCVOrider

• Full CVO Member
  • 2012 CVO Ultra Classic
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 01:37:47 PM »

Here is another one.
After this picture I moved the License plate below the tail light. The luggage rack I wanted/have on there was a very low profile so the license plate wouldn't fit. I also put a standard street glide set on it and lower the bike 2 inches in the back. On this model the blinker assembly is the same as a 2010 street glide so all I had to do was buy the light under the blinker $13 and the linces plate holder $12 and I am completely legal.
Again my bike is a 2012 and the amp has a quick disconnect plug on it from the factory so when I want to remove my saddle bag I can just unplug mine. Check yours to be sure.
Georgia CVO Rider
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 21 queries.