Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Will Stage 1 air cleaner help much??  (Read 1744 times)

kobi04sed

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Will Stage 1 air cleaner help much??
« on: September 13, 2006, 03:47:09 PM »

Just installed a DFO and Harley 16 GA Shotgun exhaust. I am tempted to do the air cleaner upgrade. Seems like the stock SE cleaner (filter) looks like the Stage 1 unit, and the housing looks as if there is plenty of opening for air. The bike has great power, how much can I expect by going to stage 1 backing plate??

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Will Stage 1 air cleaner help much??
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 03:57:50 PM »

This is a weird topic that I've often wondered about. My bike came stock with the open SE backing plate. However, I've seen a couple of FXSTDSE2's with the black enclosed backing.  I believe that is how the part manual shows it was supposed to come.  I've also seen a number set up like mine.  What gives??  I wonder if they ran low on the part and swapped some out during production? I know my friends 04 SEFB came set up like mine too. Strange.

Anyway, to answer your question, if you are indeed running the closed back, switching to the SE open backing plate will be worth a few HP.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

kobi04sed

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 07:13:51 PM »

Mine has the closed back. Built 5/04. I would be interested if your bike came with stock exhaust. Maybe the dealer made the change if the exhaust was modified??

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 06:34:54 AM »

My guess is that it was a dealer mod...yes, the SEFBs come without the Black Plastic, but they are also the 103...my '03 came with the Black Plastic...still have it in a ziplock in the basement

/Bill

Mine has the closed back. Built 5/04. I would be interested if your bike came with stock exhaust. Maybe the dealer made the change if the exhaust was modified??
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 10:56:00 AM »

Mine came with the stock exhaust. I switch first to the Thunderheader, then to the currrent Big Radius. Based on the reports here, it does seem like some SED's cam with the open filter and some with the closed.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

doubledeuce3

• sweet baby
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 03:18:18 PM »

my deuce has the stage one upgrade, it helped all around performance

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 21 queries.