Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Need louder horn  (Read 13900 times)

CVOgaree

• Junior CVO Member
  • My 2011 CVO Softail Convertible
Need louder horn
« on: February 14, 2013, 10:07:53 AM »

Does any one out there in CVO land know if there is a replacement horn that is loud & will look good? Mine sounds like the beep! beep! of the "Road Runner".

Does Harley make a loud horn?
I recently received my Bad Boy horn from JP. turned out it was made of plastic. It's hard to believe someone can't invent a truly 139 DB horn out of chrome/metals worthy of my FLSTS2 & willing to kick-in the bucks to have the safety & LOOKS!. Do I hear a YEAH?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 09:45:21 PM by grae51 »
Maple Metallic & Roman Gold with Burnished Copper Graphics
Vance/Hines slip-ons, 84 LED's amber, Cee Baily x4 windshield. New factory mirrors replaced by HD. LED tail lights.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Re: Need louder horn
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 10:31:06 AM »

Many styles to choose from and great customer service. Very loud horns.
http://www.thepropad.com/MiniBeast-Horns-Prodlist.html

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 02:48:46 PM »

The minibeast is definitely on my mod list

etudeguy

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 03:03:40 PM »

Well I had never heard of the MiniBeast before so I went to there web-site and checked them out. Pretty cool looking and loud.

Thanks for the info.

ultrarider123

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 03:10:07 PM »

The minibeast is definitely on my mod list

I believe that may be the route I go, too.

grae51, HD makes an air horn that's plug and play and mounts where the factory horn goes.  I would post a link to the horn from HD but they don't have it listed in their parts online.  The part number is 69423-05 for the horn, however.
It is very loud but the looks have stopped me from purchasing.  Propad has the right idea in it's a loud muffler but looks good, too.  

RCFlyer

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 Softail Convertible

• CVO1: 2010 SE Softail Covertible
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 11:34:51 AM »

I have the Harley 69423-05 Air Horn.  I think it's discontinued however.  You may search ebay for one.  It is very loud, but not the prettiest horn.  It also requires you to wire in a relay to handle the extra current.
Good luck!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 11:37:26 AM by RCFlyer »
1947 Flat Head 80
1947 Knuckle Head
1963 Sportster
1971 Superglide
1978 Low Rider
1989 Ultra Classic
1996 Road King

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 03:07:50 PM »

I also bought the air horn for my -10 convertible and used it on the '11 as well.  didnot put it on the '12 because by then it was sounding very sick.  More like a duck than an air horn.  so, I have purchased what is called an "auxilliary horn" by Harley that I had on my '05 Heritage.  I would have scavenged it off the '05 but could not remember how to get it all apart so I just left it on.  but I bought the exact same thing 6 months ago on Ebay and have not mounted it yet.  it is louuuuuuuud, let me tell you folks.  It is electric and mounts under the frame just above the top of the crash bar.  Nice looking chrome cover and as I said, it frightens people when they hear it.  However, I am still not convincded that any (that is pronounceed aaaannnnnnyyyyyyy) of the horns we have on our motorcycles truly work in all circumstances out on the open road.  I had a lady just kept on coming right over into my lane as I was blowing that horn until she looked over and saw she was about to overrun a bike.  I believe when people are in their luxury cars with the beautiful tunes turned up and in their own little "cage" world, they just aren't going to hear at all unless we had an atomic explosion.  so, I will use this instead.  at a stop, it is loouuuuudddd, but on the road, it is just a meep-meep   sort of ornamental gimic posing as a legal horn.  but what our bikes come with from the factory is pathetic.  Whatcha think??   Pork.

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 05:09:15 PM »

Metalarts has some different horns.  I have one and am happy with it, but have heard others report negative experiences with the service.  I had really good service.

Rivco also has some different options.

If the mini beast XR series had been available when I was looking, I probably would have gone with them, though.

Good luck!

Dan

ozarke

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 11:26:40 AM »

Does anyone have a picture of the Minibeast XR on a CVO?    The website only has pictures of the horn, not on bike.  It is hard for me to tell how it fits, size wise.

It is also hard for me to determine which of the styles would look good on the bike and if the chrome one most appropriate.  I find interest in the product, but the lack of a visual is holding me back.  I will most likely have to see these before I purchase one.  :nixweiss:

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Rio Red/Ember Black
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 12:27:51 PM »

I went with the mini beast. Did the swap myself this winter. Loud, but not obnoxious and sounds like a horn. Fits perfect with the style of my bike. I can not post pics right now as the bike is in storage and can't get a good picture of it where it is. I also like that the sound goes out sideways, not forward or down. Forward would just go right into my fairings.

There's many threads on this site regarding horns if you need more info   :2vrolijk_21:
-------------------------------------
Enjoy the Journey

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 12:45:37 PM »

Looking for opinions.  Which X-R series mini beast would look the best on the ruby red FLHXSE3?  I have not seen them in person and can't find on the bike pics. 

Cowboy
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 01:07:46 PM »

:cherry:
This may not look so good,  but ya can't beat it for LOUD...............I had to click around the video,  to get it to work.

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 04:37:25 PM »

:cherry:
This may not look so good,  but ya can't beat it for LOUD...............I had to click around the video,  to get it to work.

Yeah that is super loud which is why I did not get it. It sounds like a train so people won't be looking for the bike, they'll be looking for the train. I wanted mine to sound like a horn, just louder than stock
Enjoy the Journey

CVOgaree

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 05:24:34 PM »

I found one.......Kuryakyn Super Deluxe WOLO Bad Boy Horn Kit......looks good in pic. I will let you know how it looks on the bike.

Well, received & sent it back the same day, $152 + w/shipping. Piece of crap. It was the same horn I had on my Sporty that broke ( I hit a chuck hole in the road),cuz it waz all plastic & made in China.
BTW I got free return shipping.......Still looking for an all-metal air horn that will look great on my CVO Softail Convertible.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 12:25:15 PM by CVOgaree »
Vance/Hines slip-ons, 84 LED's amber, Cee Baily x4 windshield. New factory mirrors replaced by HD. LED tail lights.

brr5

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 flstse2
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 11:30:33 PM »

Here's a photo of the MiniBeast on my 2011

CVOgaree

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2013, 09:36:37 PM »

Is that plastic?

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 - CVO Softail Convertible, 2012
    • CVO2: HD Custom Softail Heritage (Sold)
    • CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2013, 03:03:43 AM »

Go for a Wolo Bad Boy or Pro Pad Mini Beast 2, depends on the look your going for, both pretty load!
You only need the horn to get to the front! once your there, stay there!!  :)
Better to Reign in Hell than serve in Heaven!
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

CVOgaree

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2013, 08:44:18 AM »

Not where I live. I am constantly bobbing, weaving, & keeping a sharp eye out for those who are on cell phones & texting. Not to mention the ones that just plainly don't see you. I had a Bad Boy on my Sportster, loved the loud factor, but I hit a chuck-hole in the road & it broke being plastic. I will still look to find a loud one that is made of metals & chrome that looks great on my FLSTS2.
What's it like to ride there? Any issues?

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2013, 08:58:55 AM »

You take your life into your own hands in the week!'
The weekends are a different story! the roads are empty, its great!
All year long sunshine, a couple of days rain per year, head out of Dubai and in half an hour you hit aw some mountain roads that seem to go on forever,
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

CVOgaree

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2013, 09:21:22 AM »

That sounds fabulous, I would be packin', does that sound right?
I just road the Pacific Coast Highway, a dream came true. What are you paying for gas? Gary.

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2013, 09:29:14 AM »

I just road the Pacific Coast Highway, a dream came true. What are you paying for gas? Gary.
Would love to do the Pacific Highway, am planning to ride around Italy in the summer, spend some time around the lakes then up in the Mountains,
We are paying about $1.74 98 for Super 98 Octane, not bad hey... think its the 4th cheapest in the world at the moment, that along with no taxes make it pretty easy going!
Cheers,
Charlie

RCFlyer

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2013, 11:08:15 AM »

Packin' where I'm from means there is a .45 under your vest.  In my case a .40 S&W.
1947 Flat Head 80
1947 Knuckle Head
1963 Sportster
1971 Superglide
1978 Low Rider
1989 Ultra Classic
1996 Road King

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2013, 11:33:06 AM »

Packin' where I'm from means there is a .45 under your vest.  In my case a .40 S&W.
Packin in Dubai meens filling your suitcase  ;D

CVOgaree

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2013, 11:40:31 AM »

Would love to do the Pacific Highway, am planning to ride around Italy in the summer, spend some time around the lakes then up in the Mountains,
We are paying about $1.74 98 for Super 98 Octane, not bad hey... think its the 4th cheapest in the world at the moment, that along with no taxes make it pretty easy going!
Cheers,
Charlie
That's amazing Charlie, I just paid 4.09 and rising here in Florida. Your trip sounds like a winner. I would have loved to bike Italy the many times I have been there.
I have a friend visiting here from Manchester & looking for a ride for him while here for 3 weeks. Weather there is not conducive to Motorcycles. Well, back out to polish my chrome.....LOL!...Gary.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 12:29:16 PM by CVOgaree »

RCFlyer

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2013, 07:29:15 PM »

Packin in Dubai meens filling your suitcase  ;D
Yea I knew what you meant, just bustin' on you. Have a good one!!
1947 Flat Head 80
1947 Knuckle Head
1963 Sportster
1971 Superglide
1978 Low Rider
1989 Ultra Classic
1996 Road King

brr5

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 flstse2
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2013, 04:22:28 PM »

No. it's metal.

Go for a Wolo Bad Boy or Pro Pad Mini Beast 2, depends on the look your going for, both pretty load!
You only need the horn to get to the front! once your there, stay there!!  :)

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2013, 09:03:55 AM »

I went with the mini beast. Did the swap myself this winter. Loud, but not obnoxious and sounds like a horn. Fits perfect with the style of my bike. I can not post pics right now as the bike is in storage and can't get a good picture of it where it is. I also like that the sound goes out sideways, not forward or down. Forward would just go right into my fairings.

There's many threads on this site regarding horns if you need more info   :2vrolijk_21:

So here is the pic of my Pro Pad mini beast. I went with the Typhoon. After all the color of my bike is Typhoon Maroon
Enjoy the Journey

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2013, 09:15:20 AM »

Looks great!  :2vrolijk_21:
I just fitted a new horn cover on mine while i was fitting the Wards Parts Werks Engine Cooling Fans! its the Performance Machine Merc Horn Cover!

dlg

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2013, 06:57:55 PM »

This is what I did as I like the stock look.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=6622.0

David

CVOgaree

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2013, 07:01:05 PM »

This is what I did as I like the stock look.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=6622.0

David
I want to get a set of those braided plug wires. Did they effect the performance in any way?   G.

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2013, 09:38:36 PM »

I want to get a set of those braided plug wires. Did they effect the performance in any way?   G.
Hi G,
I was asked that question a couple of times so when It went for tuning I had him check it with the stock leads and then the braided! no change! exact same results
I got mine from UScoolines and they are the high performance variant called the HP XS Chrome
Cheers,
Charlie

CVOgaree

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2013, 11:25:42 AM »

Is your cover plastic?

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2013, 11:54:54 AM »

Is your cover plastic?
Do you mean my horn cover?

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2013, 12:53:58 PM »

Yes, I'm pretty sure he meant your horn cover. In any case *I* would like to know...is the horn cover in your pic made of plastic or metal?
How about the bits under the cover? Would you post a pic with the cover off?
Thanks.

I have had a few air horns and I really don't want another air horn.
I want a fully electric horn that sounds exactly like the tri-tone blast from a 1975 Cadillac Sedan Deville.

It may not be possible to replicate that particular tone from a single can. The horns from the Caddy are certainly available, but man they are huge and heavy.
If someone could make the same sound from a single horn that was also small, they'd have a great seller.
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2013, 01:20:08 PM »

I have had a few air horns and I really don't want another air horn.
I want a fully electric horn that sounds exactly like the tri-tone blast from a 1975 Cadillac Sedan Deville.

It may not be possible to replicate that particular tone from a single can. The horns from the Caddy are certainly available, but man they are huge and heavy.
If someone could make the same sound from a single horn that was also small, they'd have a great seller.
Some say that anything's possible.....not sure about that tho.  har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

CVOgaree

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2013, 03:55:25 PM »

Do you mean my horn cover?

Yes, horn cover

Akicita

• Full CVO Member
    • SD

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2013, 05:05:37 PM »

Not sure how many decibels it puts out, but I find that an up close, personal issuance of the single-digit-international-symbol-of-ill-will seems to work for me.  :)
Na sloigh as feart san gcruinne A muirn a mire a bhfighnamh; Ni comhnairt bheith ' na bhfeagmhais: Ni h-eibhneas gan Chlainn Domhnall

CVOgaree

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2013, 06:41:58 PM »

funny!

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2013, 07:21:01 PM »

Not sure how many decibels it puts out, but I find that an up close, personal issuance of the single-digit-international-symbol-of-ill-will seems to work for me.  :)
:2vrolijk_21: like it!

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2013, 07:25:29 PM »

Yes, horn cover
I have the standard horn with a CNC machined Aluminum Merc Performance Machine Horn Cover,
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 08:37:06 PM by Charlie »

paconico1992

• Senior CVO Member
    • MN

• CVO1: 2015/16/17/18 CVO Street Glides
    • CVO2: 2010 Softtail Convertible
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2013, 10:15:21 AM »

Have you tried the horn that Honda puts on their Goldwing, Much louder then any aftermarket ones on this topic.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2013, 01:59:49 PM »

Have you tried the horn that Honda puts on their Goldwing, Much louder then any aftermarket ones on this topic.
How large is it?  I'm assuming it is 'electric'?
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

paconico1992

• Senior CVO Member
    • MN

• CVO1: 2015/16/17/18 CVO Street Glides
    • CVO2: 2010 Softtail Convertible
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2013, 01:42:27 PM »

Not much larger then what's on there and yes it's electric.

slimdude

• Junior CVO Member
  • 07 Fxstsse

• CVO1: 2007 CVO Springer
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2014, 02:15:59 PM »

I have the standard horn with a CNC machined Aluminum Merc Performance Machine Horn Cover,

Charlie,
I like your fan & horn setup. That looks really clean and sweet! Did you have to modify the horn cover to make it work with the Ward's fans? Do they work well without an oil cooler? My bike runs really lean and goes into safe mode whenever I'm in stop and go traffic on a hot summer day. Thought these fans might solve my problem.
Thanks,
Slim

OlDog

• Full CVO Member
  • The Mistress 4
    • AB

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond crimson tags. Stage one with V&H slip on ovals. Rider backrest.
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2014, 03:27:21 PM »

if you want a "true air horn" look try these. www.howardshorns.com

Akicita

• Full CVO Member
    • SD

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2014, 07:01:50 PM »

.45ACP and extended single digit...that work for ya?
Na sloigh as feart san gcruinne A muirn a mire a bhfighnamh; Ni comhnairt bheith ' na bhfeagmhais: Ni h-eibhneas gan Chlainn Domhnall
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 21 queries.