Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Zippers ThunderMax  (Read 3542 times)

Blue Tank

Zippers ThunderMax
« on: February 15, 2013, 11:29:11 AM »

I am looking at ThunderMax for my 2012CVORG. Just put V&H headers and like the fact of the autotune and limited trips back to dealer for retune. Anybody have any thoughts? Thanks

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Zippers ThunderMax
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 11:57:11 AM »

Check up top for the seach tool.  Lots of history on this.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 11:57:51 AM »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 11:58:28 AM »

Blue Tank

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 12:07:06 PM »

Did that. Couple posts about selling them and couple about older models. Was trying to get some info on newer version if anyone had an experience. Zippers website has no reviews from current customers.

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 12:21:47 PM »

I had it on my 2007, the place I bought it from also tuned it and created a base map.  That bike ran better than any bike I ever owned, I would highly recommend finding someone that is familiar that can create a custom base map for your bike.  On my 2010, I installed the TBW system with the newer Rinehart True Dual system and the recommended base map, bike ran 'just ok' not very good throttle response, a little hesitation.  I ended up selling the bike and the member from the site removed it from the bike.  Hopefully that helps or sets some basis for the thread to pick up ideas for you?
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

Blue Tank

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 12:27:27 PM »

Thanks. My 2 local dealers have different ideas. I have to take off my brand new headers and weld in 18mm bungs to install this Thundermax and just trying to decide between that and harley tuner that other dealer wants to put on, but will have to redyno anytime I change anything.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 12:29:30 PM »

I found a few threads with guys discussing their use on very recent bikes.  Your questions on efficacy of their semi-self-tuning and the rest of the system applies to a broader view of the Thundermax line though.  So still might be worth a look back.

Just remember, T-Max doesn't tune everything.  It only adjusts fuel.  It's ability to do a good job is only as good as its base map.  Many maps in their library haven't been that accurate to start.  

I'm not a huge fan but use one nonetheless.  Many will spend the money, feel the bike running what seems to be ok, and declare victory rather than doubt their purchase.  You need to count on some time dialing it in; helping it get good.  You have to adjust the timing.  The system won't do it for you.  You'll need to calibrate throttle positions to help do that.  You'll have to do some tedious tuning riding.  At least you'll have to do that if you want it really dialed in.  If just running ok with someone unknown base map that isn't terribly accurate for your bike to begin with is ok you'll be good to go.

Don't take this is a knock on Thundermax.  All the "self-tuning" systems would get generally the same report.  Some are easier to dial in after the fact than others and/or have software that is easier for us laymen to grasp and work with than do others.  It all depends on how "good" is "good" for you and how much time you're willing to spend to get it there.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 12:45:43 PM by Twolanerider »

Blue Tank

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 12:35:35 PM »

Nice! Thanks

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 09:14:59 PM »

Well I guess I will throw my 2 cents in on this one. I have had one of the first THUNDERMAX TUNERS  ever built. I had installed on my 04 SEEG in 04. I ABSOUTLEY LOVE IT. I also have a newer version with auto tune for the same bike. I have never had the chance to change it over. It is a great fuel injection management tool.

Now on to page two. I purchased a 2012 SE ULTRA back in August. I installed a D&D Fat Kat with the quiet baffle. The dealer was not familiar with the T MAX so I opted for the SE RACE TUNER per Axils advice. I was there for the install and watched the dealer pound the hell out of that new bike on the dyno for over an hour. I asked how long the Mechanic had been tuning. The answer I got was years. The trip home was 250 miles and I could not believe how chitty the bike ran. I was pissed to say the least. I called Axil and chewed him a new ass for talking me into this. He told me to call my regular dealer and order the tuning CD and cables for the race tuner. I did and a week later he showed up at my house and went to work. I loaded the CD into my laptop and He went to work. He reloaded a new base map and left the bung hooked up to the bike and told me to go for a ride. First off the base map he chose was right on time. When I got back home he hooked the bike back up to the computer and had to make 2 very small changes. This is called SMART TUNING. The new super race tuner has it but not a lot of peopledon't  know about it or how to do it. IT WORKS!!! The bike runs great and I am a happy man. Oh and the best thing about SMART TUNING is you can do it yourself!!!!!

Hope this helps.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 02:40:28 AM »

I think the Thundermax is a great tuner.  The only problem that I have is that in Western Missouri, there are no qualified dyno techs that are familiar with it.  That is the only reason that I'm selling my Thundermax and putting on a TTS that my dyno tech is really good with.  I would pick the best dyno guy that you can find and ask him what product he prefers. 

Cowboy
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 - CVO Softail Convertible, 2012
    • CVO2: HD Custom Softail Heritage (Sold)
    • CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 02:56:18 AM »

I'm having the same problem out hear in Dubai! the only half decent Dyno guys are at the HD dealer and are only familiar with the SEPST so thats what ill have to have!
Better to Reign in Hell than serve in Heaven!
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

VRODDAVE

• Senior CVO Member
  • Semper fi 73-77

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE ANV
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE - Crashed 7/31/2015. May she rest in pease
    • CVO3: 2003 VROD - sold
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 06:58:46 AM »

I also have one of the AUTOTUNE Thunder MAX installed on my 04 FLHTCSE.  I tried the harley race tuner, put nearly $1000 into the tuner and tune, bike ran like crap. Took it off and installed the TMAX and have never regreted it (im thinking its been installed for ~50k miles).   I have swaped out pipes and baffels, cams, aircleaners, calibrated speedo for different sized tires, 6 speed transmission etc and never had to pay for a retune or calibrating accessory.   Best money i ever spent on the bike.   Fuel MPG improved significantly.  I dont care about increased HP as i dont race it, i ride it, so i have never done another dyno to find out if it helped in that reguard.  I just wanted a good running motor, that was reliable and i didnt want to keep paying for retune every time i changed out something.   i have no experance with the latest versions or TBW, but i will never own a bike without an AUTOTUNE.
2018 FLHTKSE ANV
Dominator prewired meathooks 10" (Nice, but shoulda got the 12's)
Dynojet Power Vision
GTS Radio upgrade
AG ATX-30-HD lithium battery
CoolFlow fan
Alloyboltz 12 point G8
INNOVV K2 X 2 DVR 4 Camera
AIM Clutch Slave

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 11:03:29 PM »

I also have one of the AUTOTUNE Thunder MAX installed on my 04 FLHTCSE.  I tried the harley race tuner, put nearly $1000 into the tuner and tune, bike ran like crap. Took it off and installed the TMAX and have never regreted it (im thinking its been installed for ~50k miles).   I have swaped out pipes and baffels, cams, aircleaners, calibrated speedo for different sized tires, 6 speed transmission etc and never had to pay for a retune or calibrating accessory.   Best money i ever spent on the bike.   Fuel MPG improved significantly.  I dont care about increased HP as i dont race it, i ride it, so i have never done another dyno to find out if it helped in that reguard.  I just wanted a good running motor, that was reliable and i didnt want to keep paying for retune every time i changed out something.   i have no experance with the latest versions or TBW, but i will never own a bike without an AUTOTUNE.

The new Super Race Tuner for the newer bikes is a different beast. You can tune your own bike if you have the HD software. NO DYNO NEEDED!!!!! I didn't believe it till I saw it. But for our eariler bikes without the O2 sensors, the TMAX is the way to go!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 11:07:13 PM »

But for our eariler bikes without the O2 sensors, the TMAX is the way to go!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Unless you have any issue requiring support from the company.  Then you must buy:

Zippers part # 1048-9642   Zippers KY Lube   $36.99

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 01:51:07 PM »

Unless you have any issue requiring support from the company.  Then you must buy:

EXACTALLY!!!!!!

Oh and I no longer have their support!!!!! So I have on order PN 1048-9642!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

eleft36

• Full CVO Member
  • Senior Rider
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2013, 09:54:07 PM »

It's a great tool, like any other tool you need to learn how to use it.
Precisely why the manual is included in the software.

Al
2010 CVO 110" Conv. Exhaust, K&N A/C, Stock Heads, SE 103" BB kit, Andrews 26H Cams, Adapted H-D Engine Guard, Mustang wide Touring Seat, Stock Bars, H-D Oil Cooler, 1990 Leather Works Inc. Bags with Deluxe modified guards, H-D Windshield, Thunder Max A/T, '05 CVO Tour Pac, SCRC Chapter 524

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2013, 10:13:36 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:

:2vrolijk_21:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 21 queries.