Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Personalizing your CVO Breakout - Ideas?  (Read 4723 times)

Big-Aye

• -Verae Navis Vacillant-

• CVO1: 2013 FXSBSE CVO Breakout-Hard Candy Gold/Liquid Sun
Personalizing your CVO Breakout - Ideas?
« on: March 01, 2013, 04:51:29 AM »

I'm looking for ideas to personalize my (still shipping) Breakout - and this is my first Harley.

I put my deposit down back at the end of Sep-12, and yesterday the shipping company crated it up for it's ocean voyage to Jakarta, Indonesia - which means I've got up to two more months to dream and scheme...

I'm not touching the whole exhaust/EMC tune mod$, but after lurking thru the other posts, here's what I've found so far:

*Remove the side reflectors (with a blowdryer, dental floss and WD-40) (and it's FREE!)

*Day-Maker LED Headlight in either black [67700043A]  or silver [73273-11A]

*Heavy Breather Teardrop Chrome Filter Cover [28740-10] (have to remove the CVO medalion from the filter first) and the Heavy Breather Decorative Medallion [29017-09]

*Windshield (I'd use it on rides to Bali), possibly the Quick Release Super Sport Windshield [57301-06], but I'd love to hear about aftermarket options too

*LED Tail Lights (I'm going with the Custom Dynamics [GEN200-R-1157] bulbs) because I want every excuse NOT to get rear-ended

*Powerport (probably USB for my iPhone)

*Engine Guards (both the H-D [49200-07A ?] and Linby Custom [LINBAR - 111-1] were mentioned)

*LED Accent/Engine Lights (I'm going with Custom Dynamics [Stingerz] because I want to be SEEN at night here in Jakarta)

*Backrest & Rack [Sideplates 53810-00B or 53994-11], [Rack 50300066], [Upright 52540-09A], [Brown Pad 52300293] or [Black Pad 51641-06], and Sissy Bar [52540-09A]

*Replace the rear reflector with an LED strip (I'm not sure how to do this with the CANBUS signal system - very interested in ideas for this)

*Taillight modulator (again, not sure on the connectors and compatability with CANBUS)

I'm hoping there are lots more! Not planing on doing all of these (or even half - it's very $$$ dependent), but it keeps me somewhat sane during my wait.

What has worked on your Breakout?

-Ieris-
Defense Attache Office
US Embassy - Jakarta

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Softail Breakout - Black Diamond & Molten Silver
    • CVO2: Gone but not forgotten: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible - Roman Gold & Maple Metallic
Re: Personalizing your CVO Breakout - Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 06:21:37 AM »

I'm looking for ideas to personalize my (still shipping) Breakout - and this is my first Harley.

I put my deposit down back at the end of Sep-12, and yesterday the shipping company crated it up for it's ocean voyage to Jakarta, Indonesia - which means I've got up to two more months to dream and scheme...

I'm not touching the whole exhaust/EMC tune mod$, but after lurking thru the other posts, here's what I've found so far:

*Remove the side reflectors (with a blowdryer, dental floss and WD-40) (and it's FREE!)

*Day-Maker LED Headlight in either black [67700043A]  or silver [73273-11A]

*Heavy Breather Teardrop Chrome Filter Cover [28740-10] (have to remove the CVO medalion from the filter first) and the Heavy Breather Decorative Medallion [29017-09]

*Windshield (I'd use it on rides to Bali), possibly the Quick Release Super Sport Windshield [57301-06], but I'd love to hear about aftermarket options too

*LED Tail Lights (I'm going with the Custom Dynamics [GEN200-R-1157] bulbs) because I want every excuse NOT to get rear-ended

*Powerport (probably USB for my iPhone)

*Engine Guards (both the H-D [49200-07A ?] and Linby Custom [LINBAR - 111-1] were mentioned)

*LED Accent/Engine Lights (I'm going with Custom Dynamics [Stingerz] because I want to be SEEN at night here in Jakarta)

*Backrest & Rack [Sideplates 53810-00B or 53994-11], [Rack 50300066], [Upright 52540-09A], [Brown Pad 52300293] or [Black Pad 51641-06], and Sissy Bar [52540-09A]

*Replace the rear reflector with an LED strip (I'm not sure how to do this with the CANBUS signal system - very interested in ideas for this)

*Taillight modulator (again, not sure on the connectors and compatability with CANBUS)

I'm hoping there are lots more! Not planing on doing all of these (or even half - it's very $$$ dependent), but it keeps me somewhat sane during my wait.

What has worked on your Breakout?

-Ieris-
Defense Attache Office
US Embassy - Jakarta
Many good ideas here, I can tell you've been reading many of the posts . . . but why on earth would you not want to change out the stock exhaust?  Indonesian laws??  Anyway, here's a pic of the linbar . . .
The only difference between a mad man and myself is that I am not mad.  I'm not suffering from insanity, I rather enjoy it.

Big-Aye

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 08:40:51 AM »

. . . but why on earth would you not want to change out the stock exhaust?  Indonesian laws??

1. Whatever I order has to fit in a U.S Postal mail bag [or I can pay x2 to buy locally]

2. Doing the Pipes and tuner is easily a $1k.

3. There's not too many places in Indonesia where I can enjoy the power that's already in that 110 V-Twin.

4. I don't mind a quieter bike.

Dobeman2000

• Senior CVO Member
  • His and Hers

• CVO1: 2013 Red Breakout
    • CVO2: 2013 Gold Breakout
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 08:52:17 AM »

Without doing anything to the pipes- a quiet bike is precisely what you will get-this is basically the first step any of us have made to our bikes- the stock exhaust sounds horrible.  After you hear it, you may reconsider spending that $1000 (or even try it yourself-basically amounts to detaching and reattaching things).  Can be a little toilsome, but you could probably accomplish it in a few hours.

1. Whatever I order has to fit in a U.S Postal mail bag [or I can pay x2 to buy locally]

2. Doing the Pipes and tuner is easily a $1k.

3. There's not too many places in Indonesia where I can enjoy the power that's already in that 110 V-Twin.

4. I don't mind a quieter bike.

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout-crimson red
    • CVO2: 2012 V-Rod/10th Anniversary edition..well it SHOULD have been a CVO!
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 12:45:14 PM »

Without doing anything to the pipes- a quiet bike is precisely what you will get-this is basically the first step any of us have made to our bikes- the stock exhaust sounds horrible.  After you hear it, you may reconsider spending that $1000 (or even try it yourself-basically amounts to detaching and reattaching things).  Can be a little toilsome, but you could probably accomplish it in a few hours.

I agree, you may change your mind for sure.  For me, the better sound and appearance of the aftermarket exhaust was just a nice by-product of the real improvement in my case, and that is throttle response.  It may just be my particular bike, but the electronic throttle is extremely lazy.  Blipping the throttle on downshifts became an exercise in trying to avoid the engine dying at the worst case and missing an engine rev at the very least.  

Mechanically, it's the only thing I found wrong with the Breakout but it was a huge disappointment for me.  When i am getting jiggy in the twisties with the bike, my throttle blips on downshifts are very quick, and the stock response just wasn't keeping up.

Even if you like the quieter ride and want to keep the stock exhaust, I would STRONGLY suggest you consider putting a fuel manager on your list to modify the anemic stock ECU load.

Now, my throttle response is fantastic, it is immediate, and operates more like a rehostat, like a cable based throttle does.  Plus having the fuel manager modify the AFR allows the bike to run much cooler.

To the OP, Tom Petty was right....."the waiting is the hardest part"  !
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 12:47:44 PM by Z06_Pilot »
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount
2012 10th Anniversary V-Rod, TAB slash-cut exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 Pro Tuner

Big-Aye

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 03:23:06 AM »

One more add - the Leather Swing Arm Solo Bag from The Leatherworks [http://www.leatherworksinc.com/312l-leather-solo-bag/] with the Gator overlay to match the seat on the Breakout. I liked the bag 89Speedy has on his [http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=82903.0;attach=235101;image] - only I'm thinking the Gator will be a sweet match with the seat.

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 21 queries.