Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Road Glide Audio Upgrade  (Read 8571 times)

ldireprophil

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Road Glide Custom Maple Metallic
Road Glide Audio Upgrade
« on: March 03, 2013, 12:29:51 PM »

So I've been reading literally hundreds of posts on the 4-5 forums I'm a member of in an effort to make a decision on an upgraded audio system I think I can live with without second guessing myself after the fact, (If that's even possible).   This setup doesn't required any alteration to the bike other than replacing the stock bag lids and adapter rings to increase the 5x7 fairing speakers to the 6.5".  I'd say this topic of "audio upgrades" ranks right up there "header pipe, muffler, & tuner" combo's when it comes to the endless possibilities one has to choose from.  Just wanted to throw it out here so anyone who's interested in audio can comment either positively, negatively, or indifferently about the choices I've made.  

1. Head Unit: Alpine CDE-HD149BT Just released March 2013 (looked at Kenwood & Pioneer as well). Was going to send stock HK to Iron Cross but decided if I'm gonna do it all the way I might as well go with Bluetooth for streaming my Pandora stations and also get HD radio signal for the FM stations that have it.  Including Biketronics module to keep stock hand controls. Also has usb hookup in back to use my stock ipod connection in right bag. http://www.alpine-usa.com/company/press/general/2013/alpine-electronics-debuts-new-full-featured-advanced-cd-receivers/

2. Amp: JL Audio XD400/4. 4-Channel Class D Full-Range Amplifier, 100 W x 4 @ 2 Ω / 75 W x 4 @ 4 Ω - 14.4V
(Considered the Arc 125.4 and Alpine PDX F-6 as well) http://www.jlaudio.com/xd400-4-car-audio-xd-amplifiers-98261

3. Fairing Speakers: 6 1/2 inch Hertz HSK 165XL (300w max, 150w continuous, 4 ohm, dB/SPL  94) I ride with guys who have JL Audio and Focal, I wanted something different. This model has the separate tweeter that replaces my stock ones, crossover inc. http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/doc/hertz_hienergy_hsk165xl.pdf

4. Bag Speakers: 6x9's Hertz HCX 690 (260w max, 130w continuous, 4 ohm, dB/SPL  94) http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/Doc/Hertz_HiEnergy_HCX690.pdf

5.  Cycle Sounds Speaker Lids: http://www.cyclesounds.com/bagger-audio/saddlebag-speakers/saddlebag-speaker-lids-for-hd-lids-only.html

If you've never heard of Hertz like me before reading about it on these forums, here's from their site: Hertz is a product of Elettromedia. Elettromedia, was founded 1987 in Potenza Picena, Italy.  Is today considered a global leader in the production of car audio amplifiers, signal processors, speakers and accessories for professional installation.  In 1979 a group of technicians from various fields of electronics united by the pursuit of high fidelity audio reproduction gathered around a dream called AUDISON.  After several years of study and experimentation in 1984 , the completion of the first amplifier (HP 110) – AUDISON was born.  Elettromedia-USA was created in June of 2006 to import the elettromedia Italy brands into the United States.  

Picking up lids from painter tomorrow then taking bike and all speakers to installer. http://www.benchmarksoundworks.com/home/ (I bought these on my own because my installer is a Focal dealer, not a Hertz dealer). I'll buy amp and head unit from them.

I research chit to death before I pull the trigger on something, so I'm hoping this setup will serve me well.  With that said, I refuse to ever pay full retail on anything.  I'll negotiate the price down or spend my money elsewhere. Word of caution!!!!  Beware of FAKE speakers online.  If you buy knockoff chit from Bulgaria or Phillipines because it sells for $100-$200 cheaper, forget it, your screwed!  Work the price down with an AUTHORIZD DEALER!  

I"ll have everything done before I leave for Daytona on March 13 and when I get back home I"ll record a video on my iPad and post so you guys can get an idea of how it turned out.

Peace!  Phil
2012 CVO RGC / Renegade Lincoln Phantom 21-17 / RWD Fender / -2 Front -1 Rear / Bad Dad Side Covers / Andrews 54H Cams / HQ Black Ops Lifters / Heavy Breather / Cometic .030 HG / Barnett +1 Clutch / Aim 480lb Spring / ClutchWiz / Hayden M6 / D&D Fat Cat 2-1 w/UPB & Ghost Pipe / TTS MasterTune 2 / Wizard's Tune / Alpine CDE-HD149BT Head Unit / Alpine PDX-M6 Amp / Hertz HCX 690 / Hertz HSK 165 XL / Biketronics Module / Cycles Sounds Lids / Misc Little Things

ldireprophil

• Junior CVO Member

Re: Road Glide Audio Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 12:35:13 PM »

Oh, forgot to mention my bike.  2012 CVO Road Glide
2012 CVO RGC / Renegade Lincoln Phantom 21-17 / RWD Fender / -2 Front -1 Rear / Bad Dad Side Covers / Andrews 54H Cams / HQ Black Ops Lifters / Heavy Breather / Cometic .030 HG / Barnett +1 Clutch / Aim 480lb Spring / ClutchWiz / Hayden M6 / D&D Fat Cat 2-1 w/UPB & Ghost Pipe / TTS MasterTune 2 / Wizard's Tune / Alpine CDE-HD149BT Head Unit / Alpine PDX-M6 Amp / Hertz HCX 690 / Hertz HSK 165 XL / Biketronics Module / Cycles Sounds Lids / Misc Little Things

ldireprophil

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 10:13:43 PM »

Ok. I may have chosen an underpowered amp. Thinking about going with Alpine PDX-F6, which I'd have to mount in a bag, or the JL HD600/4. I was hoping to keep the amp in the fairing but...

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 10:34:39 PM »

Don't give up the bag space. I know the guys on the custom bagger site pointed out the lack of amp power in your initial choice however I'd go back and ask about an amp or amps that you can mount in the fairing.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

ldireprophil

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 10:41:04 PM »

Don't give up the bag space. I know the guys on the custom bagger site pointed out the lack of amp power in your initial choice however I'd go back and ask about an amp or amps that you can mount in the fairing.

Exactly man, I fill my bags and never have enough room especially when the wife packs all her stuff.  My installer can surely come up with a powerful 150w x 4 compact amp to mount in the fairing.  I should be getting the bike to him on Thursday.  I'll update what I get.

Sea Biscuit

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 09:40:19 AM »

I used the Arc 125.4 amp mounted in the fairing no problem...it is powering up my Focal krx2's in the fairing and the Focal 6X9 speakers in my bag with Cycle Sound lids...believe me it is loud and clear! :bananarock:

ultrarider123

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 10:14:31 AM »

Phil, sounds like you did some good research and came up with the system that meets your needs except for the amp, but looks like you have that one addressed.  How 'bout some pics of the final product?  I would really be interested seeing the head unit (Alpine).  As for the stock system I have my SESG, I like it except for the HK head.  If I could change out the HK to something much more modern and still use my stock amp/speakers/handlebar controls, I believe I would be good.  Looked and am reading about the Alpine unit you mention along with reading the other posts here on the site.  Lots of opinions on what to use but I'm not exactly ready to do anything as of yet.

Again, thanks for the extensive research and initial post on what you finally chose....good stuff... :2vrolijk_21:

ldireprophil

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 03:21:17 PM »

Ok, so I've switched amps.  Bought the Alpine PDX-F6.  Figured since I have extended bags anyway, I can live with 1 amp in there. evrything else in original post is the same.  Picking up painted speaker lids in Marietta this afteronn, taking bike to Alpharetta tomorrow morning.  They tell me it will be ready to pickup on Monday.  Looks like the total pricetag is just north of $4000.  Gonna move the stock ipod dock from the right bag up to the right storage cup (glovebox what HD calls it i think).  I'll be able to hook ipod, I-Phone5, and USB flash drive in here.

ldireprophil

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 03:24:35 PM »

Phil, sounds like you did some good research and came up with the system that meets your needs except for the amp, but looks like you have that one addressed.  How 'bout some pics of the final product?  I would really be interested seeing the head unit (Alpine).  As for the stock system I have my SESG, I like it except for the HK head.  If I could change out the HK to something much more modern and still use my stock amp/speakers/handlebar controls, I believe I would be good.  Looked and am reading about the Alpine unit you mention along with reading the other posts here on the site.  Lots of opinions on what to use but I'm not exactly ready to do anything as of yet.

Again, thanks for the extensive research and initial post on what you finally chose....good stuff... :2vrolijk_21:

I will.  Look in up online if you want.  I was just released this week.  It is the NEWEST head unit out there that has ALL the bells and whistles.  Comes HIGHLY recommended from experience guys in the audio biz.  http://www.crutchfield.com/S-GLKl7BCD3cS/p_500HD149BT/Alpine-CDE-HD149BT.html

ldireprophil

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 02:04:09 PM »

Exceeds expectations. Mic on ipad couldn't handle the volume which is why you hear that high pitch scratching sound. More bass and crystal clear in person. Probably will sound even better with a higher quality song file.

ultrarider123

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 02:14:32 PM »

Exceeds expectations. Mic on ipad couldn't handle the volume which is why you hear that high pitch scratching sound. More bass and crystal clear in person. Probably will sound even better with a higher quality song file.

Looks and SOUNDS great, Phil.

FLTRXSE

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 09:04:36 AM »

ldireprophil, what speaker adapters did you use for the front fairing to go from the 5 x 7 to the 6.5"? Everyone is telling me I have to use the non-cvo speaker grills if I use their adapter (i.e. biketronics, etc). In your video I noticed you have retained your stock grills, which I would like to keep. Thanks

jr1000yarder

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Anniversary #61
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 09:51:47 AM »

ldireprophil, what speaker adapters did you use for the front fairing to go from the 5 x 7 to the 6.5"? Everyone is telling me I have to use the non-cvo speaker grills if I use their adapter (i.e. biketronics, etc). In your video I noticed you have retained your stock grills, which I would like to keep. Thanks

You just remove the CVO grills and replace them with the fabric ones.

Not hard to do at all.

Rich
2013 FLTRXSE2
Andrews 57H, .030 Cometic head gasket, 10:1 compression, TTS tuner, Covington Destroyer Pipe, HPI TB, F & R instant air ride, 12pt stainless bolts, SBD bags, fender, Custom Steel stretched tank and side covers, FBI Drop seat, Custom seat by Voss, 30" Chrome Instigator w/18" rotor, Misfit short neck kit, Ness Hot Legs, HHI 6 piston caliper, B-cool one off aluminum fender. Lots of custom audio stuff, and a lot I forgot!

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 10:22:53 AM »

I love the look of the adaptor that holds the radio in the faring.   Looks great.   I have the arc 125.4 amp with Focals up front and in the lowers.
   I am waiting on the 5x7 hybrid audio speakers.  I want to save the space and I have heard only great things about them.  So I wait.    Your system sounds great.  :2vrolijk_21:

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 21 queries.