Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Who makes the best boot?  (Read 13760 times)

Soot

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHRSE5- Road King in Crushed Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Typhoon (blew in and blew out)
Re: Who makes the best boot?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 10:43:26 AM »

I know there is no one boot out there that fits everyone, what I am looking for is quality in your opinion of course.
I was looking at these boots, has anyone out there tried them out? How does the Velcro hold up? Does water get inside the boot during wet weather riding?
Sorry for the tiny picture... The boot is a Chippewa model 27862

Don't get me wrong - Chippewa makes good boots but if you're in S. Alberta....you've got a CDN company next province over that makes excellent quality boots and has customer service that is second to none - Dayton Boot Company in Vancouver. They're not cheap (starting at $350 +) but they are hand-made and you will not wear them out. Check their website at daytonboots.com! Seriously, you won't be sorry you did.   :xyxthumbs:

p.s. I've had a pair of their Engineer Rider Boots for 4 years now and they still look like new. Keep them oiled and you're good to go.

Soot

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHRSE5- Road King in Crushed Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Typhoon (blew in and blew out)
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 11:02:39 AM »

X2 on the FXRG boots. Have a pair of FXRG2's and FXRG3's. Paid near retail for the 2's and love them. Waterproof and light. Saw the 3's on sale for $80 and got them for when the 2's wear out. Have walked miles through Sturgis in the hot August weather and never had a problem. Do like the look of the Chippewa's tho. Do they come in brown or tan?

FXRG's are about the only boot from Harley that is worth the money. Anything else that is made by Wolverine in the pacific rim are chit - pure and simple. Bottoms don't last and the zippers are aluminum (be prepared to replace). I fully agree with the comments on the FXRG but they would tend to get a tad warm to walk around in for extended periods of time. The Gortex is a pretty good heat insulator. JMHO.  :coolblue:

BONES - USMVMC

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide Tequila Sunrise
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 11:24:48 AM »

I have been wearing the Chippewa model 27862 for 2 years now and it is THE BEST most COMFORTABLE boot I have ever worn. I sprayed them with water repellant and put rubber cleats on the heels and after 2 years of over 20K miles of riding (Sturgis, Daytona, Rolling Thunder DC) they are still like new. Very well made. Can not say enough about these boots. I also wear them sometimes for every day use when not riding because they are comfortable for walking also. They are a little dirty in this picture because I wore them riding all weekend and not have had a chance to wipe them down.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 11:28:40 AM by BONES - USMVMC »

Kilaani

• Scarlett - The Bike On Fire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • CVOH! My Scarlett built 3-13-12, & arrived 6-1-12
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 12:49:33 PM »

I have the women's HD boot Teagan I think it is. I agree with the others about the sole not standing up to the heat and mine tore in the heel. I guess I pivot when I am getting on my bike or off it or something. But, I had the best price of all, FREE! I won them in a holiday HD promotion. I need a better boot, but have huge calves so they have to be on the short Side for my ankles, though a bit taller heel/base would be great. They need to have zippers. http://www.amazon.com/Harley-Davidson®-Womens-Leather-Harness-D84424/dp/B00822D3SE/ref=pd_sbs_shoe_1 anyone have other ideas?
My first & last CVO, Scarlett, arrived 6-1-12. I always remember my mom while riding.  She had smarts with a spirit of independence & adventure. "You Gotta LIVE!", was her motto; her favorite color red, and she loved BLING.

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 01:02:53 PM »

I bought the FXRG3 boots a couple of years ago and have no regrets. Best boot I have ever owned. I did a lot of research 1st. My best friend has worn nothing but Redwings for years and just bought his first pair of FXRG3s and said its the best he has ever worn.
Now for summer, a lighter weight and cool looking waterproof slip on boot is an Australian made boot called Red Back. Rather pricey as well @ $150.00 but incredibly comfortable with a really grippy soul. Check them out, I promise you won't be sorry. Bought mine at Whistle Work Wear. They gave me 10% off.

http://www.redbackboots.com/ubbkboots.html
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 07:58:53 PM »

I've had a pair of Carolina 16" lace up logger boots since 2003. If I'm not riding I wear them cutting wood, doing general construction, yard work etc...

They've held up really good but they can get hard on your heals after a few hours of standing. You should note that I can't stand those cushy insoles.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2013, 08:34:35 PM »

Like them or not, the FXRG are warranted for 5 years, including waterproof.

So - the FXRG's are warranted for 5 years. Last years trip down to Maggie Valley had me in very heavy rain for hundreds of miles. Both my FX jacket and boots kept me pretty dry. Just one little wet mark on my sleeve and socks got just slightly damp.

Talked to my dealer and was told bring them in, they will either be fixed or replaced - good deal.

Pulled them out of the closet today to head to the dealer and apparently "my wife's" golden decided to use the toe of one for a chew toy. >:(  (my girl would never do that)

So much for that warranty.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2013, 08:38:21 PM »

Don't get me wrong - Chippewa makes good boots but if you're in S. Alberta....you've got a CDN company next province over that makes excellent quality boots and has customer service that is second to none - Dayton Boot Company in Vancouver. They're not cheap (starting at $350 +) but they are hand-made and you will not wear them out. Check their website at daytonboots.com! Seriously, you won't be sorry you did.   :xyxthumbs:

p.s. I've had a pair of their Engineer Rider Boots for 4 years now and they still look like new. Keep them oiled and you're good to go.
you are absolutely right Dayton Boots customer service is second to none, however after three tries to get the fit right we were unsuccessful.
Hawg

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2013, 08:41:24 PM »

I have been wearing the Chippewa model 27862 for 2 years now and it is THE BEST most COMFORTABLE boot I have ever worn. I sprayed them with water repellant and put rubber cleats on the heels and after 2 years of over 20K miles of riding (Sturgis, Daytona, Rolling Thunder DC) they are still like new. Very well made. Can not say enough about these boots. I also wear them sometimes for every day use when not riding because they are comfortable for walking also. They are a little dirty in this picture because I wore them riding all weekend and not have had a chance to wipe them down.
Thanks for your reply, this is the info I was looking for I may PM you with some additional info if thats ok?
Hawg

BONES - USMVMC

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide Tequila Sunrise
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2013, 09:35:27 PM »

Thanks for your reply, this is the info I was looking for I may PM you with some additional info if thats ok?

PM Away. No problem. Be glad to answer any questions you may have.

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2013, 11:45:22 AM »

X2 on the FXRG boots. Have a pair of FXRG2's and FXRG3's. Paid near retail for the 2's and love them. Waterproof and light. Saw the 3's on sale for $80 and got them for when the 2's wear out. Have walked miles through Sturgis in the hot August weather and never had a problem. Do like the look of the Chippewa's tho. Do they come in brown or tan?

support the FXRG3 too.

We took them to Greece in over 100°F and to the Alps in less than 20°F, soaked them in several successive days of downpours, walked both cities and mountain paths with them - best alround boot I met in over 40 years of hunting and motorbike riding. As of this winter I always keep a pair of them in my cars trunk as they really became my preferred bad weather boot. They don't look cool or pretty but they do their job  ;)
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2013, 03:26:17 PM »

I wear 5.11 tactical boots. Very comfortable, I actually wear them at work often, walking and standing almost all day on concrete floors and my feet never bother me. I have non waterproof and gore-tex lined version. The lined is a little too warm for comfort in the heat of a Georgia summer even though they breathe a little. If it's going to be really cold though I sometimes pull out my BMW Santiago boots. Great for riding but can't walk around long in them, I usually wear them when I ride dual-sport though for the extra ankle protection and stiffness.

Are the soles heat resistant? 

I've been wearing S.W.A.T. boots for several years.  Cost is about the same or around $110.00.  The soles do not melt on pipes.  That along with comfort are two huge selling points for me.  Not particularly stylish, but otherwise worthwhile.  :2vrolijk_21:

The reason I ask is the 5.11s look a little better and if comfortable, are worth consideration.  Thanks!
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2013, 04:40:29 PM »

Been wearing Bates gortex boot. The police wear them and they are in them all day on their feet. Very comfortable and my feet have never gotten wet. Love them
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

67sprint

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2013, 11:45:12 AM »

My vote is for Wesco.  I wear a pair of the Boss model and they become your feet.   Heavy, protective, and perfectly comfortable.  See at: http://www.westcoastshoe.com/wesco/home.asp
TJ

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2013, 11:53:56 AM »

I have the FXRG boot (got them dirt cheap on sale) and I also have a pair of Cruiserworks.  Both are completely waterproof. For walking around, I'd have to give the edge to the Cruiserworks.  For riding, both are about the same.

I would not even consider a pair of boots that were not 100% Waterproof...sooner or later you're going to get caught in a toad strangler downpour and there is nothing worse than wet feet.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.