Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Who makes the best boot?  (Read 13758 times)

cold1

• Full CVO Member
    • AB

• CVO1: 04 SEEG pumpkin
    • CVO2: 2010 WOLF Big Dog
Re: Who makes the best boot?
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2013, 07:28:04 PM »

Are the soles heat resistant? 

I've been wearing S.W.A.T. boots for several years.  Cost is about the same or around $110.00.  The soles do not melt on pipes.  That along with comfort are two huge selling points for me.  Not particularly stylish, but otherwise worthwhile.  :2vrolijk_21:

The reason I ask is the 5.11s look a little better and if comfortable, are worth consideration.  Thanks!
I got mine after my other bootmakers went out of business, I'm happy

funbiker1967

• Semper Fi
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2012 CVO Ultra
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2013, 08:36:12 PM »

I always wear Rocky Tactical boots.  Love them.
Just remember worse things have happened to better people....

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2013, 10:17:54 PM »

I have the Original Swat Boots (thanks JC!)  however, the insoles are not real good for all day, day after day.  I looked at the Swat gel insoles and they really weren't much better looking, still no arch. 

I went to Redwing and bought their $50 insoles, they are like orthotic insoles, but they form to your feet with the heat from your feet.  You can also warm them up in the oven, stick them in and walk and they form faster.

I can now wear the Swat boots all day, day after day.  You end up at about $150.

The thing I really like is how lite the boot is.  I sprayed my with a waterproofing spray to beef up their water proofing.
Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2013, 12:02:22 PM »

I have the Original Swat Boots (thanks JC!)  however, the insoles are not real good for all day, day after day.  I looked at the Swat gel insoles and they really weren't much better looking, still no arch. 

I went to Redwing and bought their $50 insoles, they are like orthotic insoles, but they form to your feet with the heat from your feet.  You can also warm them up in the oven, stick them in and walk and they form faster.

I can now wear the Swat boots all day, day after day.  You end up at about $150.

The thing I really like is how lite the boot is.  I sprayed my with a waterproofing spray to beef up their water proofing.

I've been wearing the waterproof SWAT boots for about five years.  Very comfortable, light and absolutely no wet feet when riding in the rain.  We did a sixteen trip a couple of years ago to Canada and New England.  Rode seven days in the rain and no wet feet!

http://www.originalswat.com/products/123401/

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2013, 08:47:51 PM »

Wolverine as we know is the parent company that produces the Harley Davidson Footwear line which makes the ever popular FXRG is made.

Recently under their Bates label they've introduced a whole new line of Motorcycle boots which are a step up on the fashion boots the MOCO specs to fit a specific profile and price point.

You can give the Bates line a look here: http://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en/Riding-Collection?cid&keyword=bates%20footwear&pcrid=20038054027

RK1679

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2013, 11:07:43 PM »

X2.  Waterproof SWAT boots

denis

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2114 cvo ultra blue
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2013, 12:00:59 AM »

X2 on the FXRG boots. Have a pair of FXRG2's and FXRG3's. Paid near retail for the 2's and love them. Waterproof and light. Saw the 3's on sale for $80 and got them for when the 2's wear out. Have walked miles through Sturgis in the hot August weather and never had a problem. Do like the look of the Chippewa's tho. Do they come in brown or tan?
were did you get 3s for 80 bucks

Rat Patrol

• 2013 CVO Road King
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2013, 11:29:15 AM »

My vote is for Wesco.  I wear a pair of the Boss model and they become your feet.   Heavy, protective, and perfectly comfortable.  See at: http://www.westcoastshoe.com/wesco/home.asp
TJ

Agree, have worn these for years on constuction projects. Very comfortable and rugged, won't be called a sissy boy while wearing these.
International Heat & Frost Insulators
Working Class: The class that built America

ultrarider123

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2013, 12:21:41 PM »

I have to chime in here on the boots I've had for over 18 years, Rocky.  They aren't black and don't look like motorcycle boots but they have been with me on MANY miles, cross country, through sun, rain, snow and kept my feet warm and dry.  Rocky doesn't make this boot anymore but it's got 800 grain thinsulate, 100% waterproof and have worn extremely well for $140 bucks.  Even with the summer heat, these boots keep my feet comfortable.  I've looked at replacing them over the years but can't find anything new I like as well as these.  They still keep my feet warm/dry and are great walking boots after the days ride.  Don't know what I'm going to do when they finally do wear out.  I know I'll be looking at another pair of Rocky boots, however.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2013, 12:40:22 PM »

I have to chime in here on the boots I've had for over 18 years, Rocky.  They aren't black and don't look like motorcycle boots but they have been with me on MANY miles, cross country, through sun, rain, snow and kept my feet warm and dry.  Rocky doesn't make this boot anymore but it's got 800 grain thinsulate, 100% waterproof and have worn extremely well for $140 bucks.  Even with the summer heat, these boots keep my feet comfortable.  I've looked at replacing them over the years but can't find anything new I like as well as these.  They still keep my feet warm/dry and are great walking boots after the days ride.  Don't know what I'm going to do when they finally do wear out.  I know I'll be looking at another pair of Rocky boots, however.

I agree Rocky boots are very comfy. I used them for hunting but the arch plate started squeekin when I walked and was hard to be sneaky so changed to Browning after third pair of Rocky's started the squeek

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2013, 10:14:36 PM »

I have a couple pairs of FXRG's and they are very good, comfortable to walk in and have had no problems with leaks but they are pricey and I seem to wear the soles out pretty quickly, here local they want $75 to resole them. We both are currently wearing Ridge 9000's, they are about $115 with free shipping from Central Police (online) and they have the zipper side, every modern thing possible in the soles inc the air chamber similiar to Nike. Great to walk-in, They have a Vibram looking sole that seems to wear excellent, and my wife says they are the only boots she ever had that she didn't mind wearing all day.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2013, 12:03:39 AM »

I find a few things interesting here: I've been following boot threads on other bike forums recently and our main discussion in those is comfort and safety. There hasn't been one post here regarding safety. Several medics have mentioned finding downed riders with 9" and lower boots pulled off in a slide and the feet are ground down. Lack of propper toe, ankle and heal cups leading to completely crushed feet. The lack of shin protection on the lower boots leading to shattered shins. Some times there is not much else wrong with the rider except that their lack of propper foot protection has led them to them being permanently crippled. Makes you think about boots made for walking or working and not riding.
On my Dl 1000 I wear a dual sport boot, a cross between an MX boot and a HD riding boot. Adequate heal, toe and ankle protection and a heavier shank. Shin height is much higher with a plate. Not as much protection as my MX boots, but they are comfortable, water proof and neither hot or cold. Been over 5K miles in them on one trip only changing into low converse TS for longer hikes. I even wear them on the HD at times.
Now before the retorts begin, most of the time on the HD I wear my waterproof HD boots.
I just wanted you all to stop and think about safety once in a while while shopping for riding gear.  :2vrolijk_21:

Soot

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHRSE5- Road King in Crushed Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Typhoon (blew in and blew out)
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2013, 01:38:15 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:  very good point......safety and comfort!

screaminCVO

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 Ultra Limited CVO Maroon / Burgundy
    • CVO2: 2013 Road Glide orange / grey
    • CVO3: 2003 Ultra with sidecar silver/black
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2013, 02:00:11 AM »

Don't get me wrong - Chippewa makes good boots but if you're in S. Alberta....you've got a CDN company next province over that makes excellent quality boots and has customer service that is second to none - Dayton Boot Company in Vancouver. They're not cheap (starting at $350 +) but they are hand-made and you will not wear them out. Check their website at daytonboots.com! Seriously, you won't be sorry you did.   :xyxthumbs:

p.s. I've had a pair of their Engineer Rider Boots for 4 years now and they still look like new. Keep them oiled and you're good to go.
Had my Dayton engineers boots for over 10 years now and are still like new. I have recently tried a pair of Bates tactical boots, they say there worn by the swat team. Very light, laced with side zip. After reading what trapperdog has to say, I would have to say the engineers boots would definitely be the safest. Dayton boot company has many pictures of celebs buying there now.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 02:25:00 AM by screamincvo »

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2013, 01:15:06 PM »

Love my FXRG's!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 21 queries.