Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Long distance trip  (Read 13860 times)

SteveO

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
Long distance trip
« on: March 19, 2013, 07:48:33 PM »

Has anyone made a long distance trip on the Softail.  Planning on a 3000 mile trip out west this summer and not sure if this bike will be very comfortable.  Always had Ultra Classics and Goldwings on my long trips.  Interested to see what others think.

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Long distance trip
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 09:01:17 PM »

SteveO

I did a 4500 mile ride in 2011 on my ConV, my buddy and I have done a long ride every year for the past 10 years with the exception of 2012.  My favorite cross country bike was my old BigDog but my back just couldn't take that anymore (getting to old).  I love my ConV, to me it is the right balance of weight and ride comfort.  I had a super fine road glide for a couple of years, very nice highway ride but to big and bulky for around town.  Until the MoCo makes a CVO Heritage, I will keep lovin my ConV.  Keep in mind that this is no Goldwing or UltraC, nowhere near that kind of ride, especially if you like all the electronics.

etudeguy

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 11:14:54 PM »

SteveO
My wife and I have ridden my 2011 Convertible out West for the past two summers. We've traveled around 4,600 miles both years and we are leaving at the end of June for another western adventure for more than 5,000 miles. We both have loved traveling on the Convertible and we plan to keep riding it. I almost get comments about my bike daily when we are touring.

Riding out West is simply the best. The scenery is amazing, the weather is ALMOST always great, the people are friendly and there is very little traffic.

Etudeguy

JC1973

• MD

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 Softail Convertible
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 01:52:46 AM »

Did a 2000 mile trip this past summer from GR to Detroit then up to the U.P. and back.......love my CVO Conv........through rain and wind she was solid, when guys on their earlier model Street glides were getting all squirly on that skinny tire. Cant wait to get back from Afghanistan and head south to Key West for some much needed two wheel therapy. JC

jjohn581

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 conv
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 09:55:46 PM »

Did a 2000+ last summer out west and bike was great. I did use an air hawk seat cushion and I think it helps over the stock seat.

Mach

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 11:15:48 AM »

Did 800 in 3 days, 2 nights camping at Primitive sites. avoided the interstate like the plague.  I'm hoping to do 2 of these trips this year.  very happy with the bike.

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 - CVO Softail Convertible, 2012
    • CVO2: HD Custom Softail Heritage (Sold)
    • CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 11:34:54 AM »

:2vrolijk_21:
1000 miles over 2 days with no problem! great ride,
Better to Reign in Hell than serve in Heaven!
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

FADBOY

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 08:54:54 AM »

Hi
I have done two trips around Europe on my FLSTSE2, one from the UK to Croatia via the Alps which was 3250 miles, and One from Uk to Portugal Via the Pyrenees which was 3500 miles,
Both with the standard Screen and I am 6ft 2" found it a perfect touring bike for mileage of approx 300 miles per day (non motorway).

Check out the trips on my youtube channel.

This Years trip is 2500 miles and going to Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, Munich, Austria, Switzerland, Black Forest, Luxenbourg.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BIG5108/videos

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 09:03:13 AM »

Hi
I have done two trips around Europe on my FLSTSE2, one from the UK to Croatia via the Alps which was 3250 miles, and One from Uk to Portugal Via the Pyrenees which was 3500 miles,
Both with the standard Screen and I am 6ft 2" found it a perfect touring bike for mileage of approx 300 miles per day (non motorway).

Check out the trips on my youtube channel.

This Years trip is 2500 miles and going to Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, Munich, Austria, Switzerland, Black Forest, Luxenbourg.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BIG5108/videos

Hi Fadboy,
I'm originally from Brum, now out in Dubai, loving the Convertible and year long sunshine, do miss Birmingham but certinly not the weather!
They sound like some awsome rides your getting on!
Ride Safe,
Charlie
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

FADBOY

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 09:25:46 AM »

Hi Charlie

I'm so jealous, Yes Brum has frozen over for the last three months and its trying to snow again today, this time last year we had already been on a couple of ride outs when will it end???

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 09:31:37 AM »

Hi Charlie

I'm so jealous, Yes Brum has frozen over for the last three months and its trying to snow again today, this time last year we had already been on a couple of ride outs when will it end???
Been here in Dubai for nearly 9 years now, never seen snow, rained about a dozen times in total, never been below 18c and don't pay taxes! have ridden every Christmas and news years day just to prove a point! no tax! happy days,
But i do miss the UK, or maybe the idea of the UK as i left it!
All i hear is stories saying its going down the pan!
Good luck with that British weather!!

FADBOY

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 09:54:11 AM »

this is the view from the office window 4 weeks ago nuff said

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 09:57:56 AM »

Should be on a post card!

glodigger

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 03:19:39 AM »

My hats off to  all who drove these bikes stock that far ;
 So far got a clear View wind screen that works fantastic  I made a error and got the 19"  at 5'7" the envelope is a a full 6" over my head and four over the wife I need the 17" to not be looking though the shield
Sitting behind that big screen is very comfortable.
Installed the crash bar and zippered lowers and a ultimate seat with back rest.

Now if the weather will get nasty this weekend I will head to reno over Donner summet to test this baby in the wet and white stuff. hopefully.
No I'm not crazy but plan on coast to coast  L.A. to D.C . with a detour to Maine in may. 
Two years ago pushed 4 inch's of slush snow into Williams AZ. and the rain in Ohio though Michigan are legendary

gunnyjeep

• Gunny

• CVO1: 2011 Softail Convertible FLSTSE2
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 10:28:11 PM »

view from my hotel room in Dubai last year - will be there Friday actually
2011 Softail Convertible
2008 Softail Deluxe
1992 Sportster Project Bobber
2012 Yamaha V-Star (wife's town bike)
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 21 queries.