Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Today was unfortunately my turn...  (Read 6114 times)

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
Today was unfortunately my turn...
« on: September 23, 2006, 06:28:44 PM »

I was on my way to meet some friends for a nice Saturday morning ride, when the person in front of me cut me off, sending me off the road and on to the shoulder. The momentum of the evasive action, coupled with the loose gravel and sand on the shoulder swept the bike out from under me before I could do anything to save it. Thankfully, I was only doing about 35 when the wipeout occured, so it is nothing like the real tradegies preceding this post, but I am seeking counsel of those who have "been there, done that".

I have quite nasty road rash (from the bounce along the shoulder before ending up in the median strip) covering both arms, one hand, one leg and my forehead (did it have to be the forehead?). But thankfully that is all.

While the scrubbing of asphalt and shredded leather from the wounds was the worst, between replaying it over and over in my head I am wondering what should I do next? Should I go to a chiropractor? Is there any tried and true home remedies to ease the pain and potential scarring of roadrash (besides wearing a leather coat before the crash!)? Have any of you been in this sad and bloody-bandaged place and might have some advice?

Thanks...
"... When all is said & done, more will be said than done."

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Today was unfortunately my turn...
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 06:54:02 PM »

I was on my way to meet some friends for a nice Saturday morning ride, when the person in front of me cut me off, sending me off the road and on to the shoulder. The momentum of the evasive action, coupled with the loose gravel and sand on the shoulder swept the bike out from under me before I could do anything to save it. Thankfully, I was only doing about 35 when the wipeout occured, so it is nothing like the real tradegies preceding this post, but I am seeking counsel of those who have "been there, done that".

I have quite nasty road rash (from the bounce along the shoulder before ending up in the median strip) covering both arms, one hand, one leg and my forehead (did it have to be the forehead?). But thankfully that is all.

While the scrubbing of asphalt and shredded leather from the wounds was the worst, between replaying it over and over in my head I am wondering what should I do next? Should I go to a chiropractor? Is there any tried and true home remedies to ease the pain and potential scarring of roadrash (besides wearing a leather coat before the crash!)? Have any of you been in this sad and bloody-bandaged place and might have some advice?

Thanks...

You walked away from it Killjoy.  That's all the solace anyone should ever need.  Heal the scars?  You're forgetting one of the great movie taglines of all time:

Pain heals.  Chicks dig scars.  Glory is forever.

And believe me, walking away from it is glorious.  Congrats and feel better tomorrow!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 07:00:36 PM »

Hey Killjoy.....sorry to hear you crashed your scoot.  TwoLane is so right even though right now you're hurting and it's hard to see the glass half full view of the mishap.  Roadrash hurts, plain and simple, but just glad you didn't lose teeth/eyes/ and other things that don't grow back.......hang in there, fix the scoot, and let us hear how you're doing.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 07:19:31 PM »

killjoy,
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Can't offer any remedies for your injuries other then do what the doctor's tell you. Get well and back in the wind soon.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 07:24:34 PM »

Very sorry to hear of your accident.  Happens fast doesn't it?  Most important is to keep your wounds clean and as much as you will want to, don't pick at the scabs when the time comes.  Picking at the scabs will contribute to scars.  Did you see a doctor?  You will hurt like hell for a couple of days, but your doctor can help with that. You will be stiff as hell tomorrow, but then it starts to get better.  How's the ride - or don't you want to think about that yet?

good luck and be patient - it'll get better...

sadunbar
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 07:31:46 PM »

Killjoy, that's a bummer.  :( I'm sorry and feel for ya.  Actually, no, I don't know how it feels, but it'll get better. I ditto what Spyder and 2Lane said.  Heal fast, bro.

I should get a 'summer' jacket.  Then I'd have to get my wife to wear one, too.

Garz

Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 08:46:14 PM »

Killjoy....so sorry to hear of your accident, but I'm glad the injuries are not more serious, though I know you're hurting from the road rash.

You asked for things you could do to prevent scarring, so here goes:  Keep in mind, I'm not a doctor, not even a nurse, but speak from being serverely burned several years ago in a work accident.  I have no scars from this ordeal because I was fortunate enough to have a doctor attending at the University Health Center for student who had just returned from Vietnam and had treated a lot of burn victims.  This process is not fun, but it works...of course, I hope you have been to the doctor to make sure that everything is OK, and gotten some pain medication for your injuries after they thoroughly cleaned the wounds.  Every day for three weeks, this is what the doctor did to me: I would go in the morning for him to remove the bandages, which consisted of antiseptic cream covered by gauze pads and tape.  I would then shower at the docs office, then lay on the table while he and a nurse used Phisohex (a sterile type of soap..guess they still make it) and a sponge to scrub the wounds and keep them from scabbing over. Then rinse with clean water. The scabbing is one of the things which contribute to scarring.  I would of course, take two or three codiene capsules prior to this ordeal each morning.  Then he would reapply the cream, cover the wounds with bandages again, and send me home.  I repeated this process until the worst of the wounds (on my neck...the beard saved my face) had basically healed from the inside out.  The new skin was a little different color for a while, but it was not scar tissue.  I would not suggest doing this to yourself, because you won't be able to stand it, but have your doctor or perhaps your significant other do the scrubbing.  The codiene helps a great deal!!

Like I said, I'm not a medical professional, but this worked for me, though it was uncomfortable.  To me, it was worth it...

Whatever you do, just make sure you keep everything clean, get well fast, get the scooter fixed or replaced, and put this bad experience behind you as quickly as possible.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

killjoy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 08:55:17 PM »

...How's the ride - or don't you want to think about that yet?

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and sympathies. Of course you're right... If I'm able to stand up and b!tch about it, then I made out pretty well.

As for the scoot, its not so bad. Looks to be about $1500 in damage, mostly cosmetic. My h/b riser is twisted, but that's better than the forks, right? At least there isn't "painted parts" damage this time. It just sucks, because I just got it finally fixed 3 weeks ago from when a box van backed over it in a parking lot in March. My luck is not running good this year. This will be the 3rd set of pipes, air breather, etc this year! I drove it into the shop, so its not so bad....

Anyway, thanks again for support...
"... When all is said & done, more will be said than done."

RedFXR2

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2006, 10:27:24 AM »

Like the others have said, be glad you walked (limped?) away as opposed to the alternative.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 10:28:19 AM by RedFXR2 »

altugo

• 1K CVO Member
  • Screw it let's ride!

• CVO1: FLSTFSE2 nebula yellow/ cobalt blue
    • CVO2: FLTRSE3 yellow pearl / charcoal slate
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2006, 12:01:14 PM »

I just went down recently about a month ago.My knee is still in bad shape.No internal injuries.I used a antiseptic spray to cover the wounds 3 times a day with some painkillers for about 4 days.Wore shorts not to agitate the wound.No bandages or anything.My knee has a tick layer of dry blood on it and its pealing off now slowy.It was the first day I wore my armored leather jacket since May this year.That was plain luck.I started riding last week and infact I rode a friends BMW 1000 RS today.Nothing like a Harley that bike felt like a toy.Meanwhile I bought chaps and 2 sets of armoured jeans while i was off riding.I wont ride Unprotected anymore since the incident happened just around the corner from my house on the tiniest street you could possibly imagine.Heal quick and be well soon. [smiley=drink.gif]
Ridin Legend

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2006, 03:26:29 PM »

Sorry to hear about your mishap.Like it has been said before be thankful its only road rash and bumps and bruises.That will all heal and your scoot can be repaired. Good luck in the future. Later,Q
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2006, 05:30:07 PM »

Sorry to hear about your incident.  Did the other car stop?
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2006, 05:56:30 PM »

I will add my thoughts to those of everyone else....  be glad it wasnt worse....  and we can all learn from this...  i tend to skimp on protective chit when its warm out..... i have to get better at this!
heal quick and get back on her.!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2006, 06:03:19 PM »

I will add my thoughts to those of everyone else....

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2006, 06:39:58 PM »

well, the good news is that no chance of 'heat stroke' at MV this year.  har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 21 queries.