Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Just a few ?'s  (Read 3810 times)

Wldsthrnboy

Just a few ?'s
« on: March 29, 2013, 06:42:19 PM »

Hey guys,

New to forum. Been riding since not long after I learned to walk,lol. Currently I own a stroked out 100+hp with 120 or so ftlbs of tq 86 flhs that I built from the ground up about 6 years ago now.

An 88 85th anniversary edition flhtc that is about 95% stock This was my first bagger bought about 13 years ago, has 117,000 miles on her  and still runs like a champ.  2 new clutches, front head gasket, and a few other misc. repairs is all I have had to do to it. Except routine maintenance and tires of course. Those early Evo's really were tight motors.

And a bone stock 09 flhtc.

It's been awhile since I have had a real hotrod. Last one was a rigid 93" shovelhead stroker back in 99. So I am thinking about building me a new toy. Strictly a weekend redlight racer to make the rice riders feel all butthurt ;D. The 86 is definitely a serious ground pounder, but it weighs nearly 900lbs.  Well I been looking at fxr's as my platform. Definitely still their best performance frame to date. And I came across this 99 fxr3. It is beautiful. Bone stock with only 8,400 miles on it. The guy even has the original CVO gold key. There is just noway I would modify this bike in anyway. But I am seriously considering purchasing it even though I want a hotrod.  

So my questions are:
What are the performance specs of the bike? Can't seem to find any detailed info online and you guys seem to be the ones to ask..
Being as it is the first year of the CVO's, are there any mods internally or is it just cosmetic?
And finally,do these motors stack up with the stock Evo's as far as longevity? Are there any known issues?

Thanks in advance guys.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 07:00:20 PM by Wldsthrnboy »

Boshog

Re: Just a few ?'s
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 09:52:24 AM »

I also have a hot rod bagger and just purchases an identical FXR3 to the one you're looking at.

I've ridden mine, but is still waiting to be shipped home. As for the engine, it's a stock EVO and isn't a screamer. No different than any other Evo made that year. I believe everything that makes it a CVO are bolt ons, but it does have a chrome swing arm.

I am going to build a hot rod out of mine. The lowered suspension needs to go. I'll leave the engine alone for now, but I'm thinking S&S 124".

Wldsthrnboy

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 02:25:27 AM »

Thanks,

I figured that being it was the first year it was mainly cosmetic factory mods. Could seem to find it written down anywhere though. I still am seriously considering the purchase. The price is right, and from everything he says, it is 100% stock. Probably go take a closer look at it after the holiday. He is the second owner. If you don't count the dealer he bought it from where it was traded in. If I do decide to buy it, I'm not going to do anything to it. There are to many better priced donor bikes out there to molest an ever increasingly rare CVO. I'd fill the crankcase and cylinders with oil, cover it in petroleum jelly and plastic, and hang it in the rafters of my shop before I did that. And that is just wrong too.lol

For instance there is a kind rough, high mileage, but complete, running/riding white 94 fxrp near me that I am sure I could get for $3500. That's like a blank slate just begging for 103" sidewinder kit and the cosmetic treatment.

Dunno. Will just have to see how it shakes out. If I don't end up building a scoot this time, I have an 88 Tune Port Vette or a  complete 79 Camaro + parts car that have been sitting way to long.Might have to finally start one of those and ride the bike like it is.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 09:39:49 AM »

This is a great thread detailing the history of the FXR...

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=25417.255

A great read for anyone owning one.. :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Boshog

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 11:34:26 AM »

I know a lot of guys on this board try to preserve the bike in its stock form, and that's cool.  I totally understand. 

The way I'm looking at it is a chance to by Harley's best platform, with the most up to date everything in an FXR, before making the bike mine.  I had the chance to pick up a low mileage FXR3 for 7500.00 which it me is a great value. 

TLS105

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 1999 Blue Flame FXR3
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 11:31:21 PM »

The FXRs are a great platform to build a hotrod from. Light weight, very stiff frame, and with a little massaging can accept a Twin Cam. Some have gone all out with their CVO FXRs, so you wouldn't be the first. If you do get the bike, check tires, charging system, and all gaskets, but I'm sure you know the drill already. If I remember correctly, CVO Gold Keys did not start until 2004. If you do get the bike, we are here to help you in any way we can. Good luck.

Tom

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 08:36:18 AM »

So my questions are:
What are the performance specs of the bike? Can't seem to find any detailed info online and you guys seem to be the ones to ask..
Being as it is the first year of the CVO's, are there any mods internally or is it just cosmetic?
And finally,do these motors stack up with the stock Evo's as far as longevity? Are there any known issues?

Thanks in advance guys.

If you do read the HISTORY as was suggested above you will find the actual specs for an FXR3. So that should help you with that question.

The motor is an excellent motor for sure....you just need to warm them up properly before taking off....let them come up to temp before you beat on them per say.

The base gaskets are paper as are the lower rocker cover gaskets....so it's possible that those paper base gaskets might be a bit tired, but there is no way to know for sure if or when you might ever develop an issue...while it's a long way down there to replace those gaskets with something better it's not a difficult job at all. 

You have all of the latest mods on the engine and transmission for that matter...that engine can last 100,000 miles if you treat it right, or if you decide  to modify it in any way that works too.

Have owned mine since 2005 and still enjoying it....it's a fun bike to own and ride....

Wish you well with your decision.

Regards,

Tim

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 09:26:55 PM »

I never owned a bike that i did not modify. I used to have a 89 FXRS that I bought new. Loved it but had hot rod custom FL with Shovel/EVO 103"motor. Delkron Cases,
Strochek Billit Cylinders, S&S 4.375" Supreem rods, Leinweber L7 cam .660 lift and Reworked S&S carb Simpson Speed Specialties, 4" bore Veiola 12.5 to 1 forged pistons. Sputhe 5 speed case for Kickstart in a FL frame. Custom Andrews shafts etc. Being 1987 stuff was not comon place.
 I could not help myself on my FXR4. It is proudly displayed here on this site.

Photorider

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 03:39:41 AM »

The FXR3 is a great platform to hot rod, as good or better that any FXR. No need to go TC. You can get big bore evo's too. An EVO is a solid platform.

That said, it would be a shame to take a low production bike and completely tear it apart, but people do. FXR2-4's cost a premium over other FXR's and its probably lost when you modify it. This means you realy pay extra for all the bolt-ons tht really don't matter on a hot rod. If you like the cosmetics then its worth it. The FXR4 does have dual disk TC style brakes up front and electronic gages which are nice.

However, its your choice. If you grab it you might just want to crate away the complete evo and buy a big bore crate from S&S or buy a basket and build another i.e. kee the FXR3 parts as is, and replace...

If it was me I would go for the FXRP  if you want a rod...

Personally my FXR4 has great power for its weight. Its much lighter than a Dyna (specs say 130 lbs). I can jet around easily, but its not a HP rod. I have a 120R in my Dyna and its a rod. No contest between the two, but I have both and that will continue. The FXR4 is stock and of course stays that way. Its real fun in the twisties, as fun as the dyna really.

gflvette2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 1999 FXR3 Blue
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCUI LAVA RED SUNGLO
    • CVO3: 1984 FLHX SHOVELHEAD Special Edition EG
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 09:51:27 PM »

I also have a hot rod bagger and just purchases an identical FXR3 to the one you're looking at.

I've ridden mine, but is still waiting to be shipped home. As for the engine, it's a stock EVO and isn't a screamer. No different than any other Evo made that year. I believe everything that makes it a CVO are bolt ons, but it does have a chrome swing arm.

I am going to build a hot rod out of mine. The lowered suspension needs to go. I'll leave the engine alone for now, but I'm thinking S&S 124".
PLEASE..... Leave it stock. It's a first year CVO. Why alter it? But it's your bike so.... But then is won't be what you originally bought. With so few left, I think that you would lose the value of the Original FXR. That's my humble opinion.

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 21 queries.