Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone hear a knocking or rattley sound at 21-23 hundred rpms  (Read 1940 times)

2013CVOBreakout

• Junior CVO Member

I have never owned a HD before and Im insure of the noises they make. The sound goes away around 2500 rpms

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
Re: Anyone hear a knocking or rattley sound at 21-23 hundred rpms
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 09:37:21 PM »

Double check the heat shields on your exhaust. Make sure they aren't touching anything and the clamps are tight.
Jesus is Lord

2013CVOBreakout

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 10:34:20 PM »

It isn't the heat shields. it isn't that kind of sound. It is the engine. I just don't know if its a normal sound or something is wrong. Im going to drive it to the shop and let them listen to it.

Thermodyne

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 09:50:36 AM »

Yep, my 103 does it and the 96 i had before it was even worse.  I actually had a Harley rep say the 103 was just fine, right after the tech had ridden it and want permission to tear it down.  Rep wouldn't ride it, so basically if it isn't raising hell at idle or with a tiny little throttle blip, it ain't broke. 

It's getting worse as the miles collect, and still under warrantee till August.  So the plan is to run it till then, give them one more chance to admit it has an issue just before the warrantee ends.  Then take it down and see whats wrong. 

2013CVOBreakout

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 10:52:33 AM »

Yep, my 103 does it and the 96 i had before it was even worse.  I actually had a Harley rep say the 103 was just fine, right after the tech had ridden it and want permission to tear it down.  Rep wouldn't ride it, so basically if it isn't raising hell at idle or with a tiny little throttle blip, it ain't broke. 

It's getting worse as the miles collect, and still under warrantee till August.  So the plan is to run it till then, give them one more chance to admit it has an issue just before the warrantee ends.  Then take it down and see whats wrong. 

Seriously? Im starting to wish I had never bought a Harley. I alwaysa thought that HD was a better bike than the metrics. I loved my Warrior and thought that the  Breakout would be even better. Im starting to think NOT and HD customer service sucks.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 12:10:39 PM »

Welcome to our world.  :nervous:
Jesus is Lord

ultrarider123

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 01:32:38 PM »

Welcome to our world.  :nervous:

Needed that laugh today, d.   :o ::) ;D :2vrolijk_21:

2013cvo, in reality, I would worry if it DIDN'T make any noise.  Stock Harley's are notorious for valve/drivetrain noise and coming from and comparing it to a Honkawsuzyamahachi or whatever you rode before, Harley's really do sound like they are coming apart all the time...remind me of the old Ford 7.3 diesel.  That's just the mystique that comes with HD's (saw that on a brochure once.....) If the noise is going away at 2500 RPM, does it come back at higher RPM or only when you rev it back down to idle?  If you rode any of the standard HD's prior to the CVO, you may notice that the 110 seems to be a bit louder (motor "sounds" wise) than 96 or 103's.  If it's getting louder at the point you have noticed it already, wouldn't hurt to take it in.  Be prepared to hear the following quote however....OK, everybody join in with me here...."They all do that"

2013CVOBreakout

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 02:10:42 PM »

I am so new to motorcycles in general it's not funny. I bought my first bike at 45 a year ago. Now, I am a car dealer and I bought a 09 superglide at a auction with 5000 miles on it to sell. The bike has wide open VH 2into2s and a power commander and I don't know what else but the bike is screaming fast. I am amazed at how fast this bike is and how it pulls no matter what RPM you are at. It is MUCH faster than this breakout. If it makes any weird noises though I wouldn't be able to tell it because the pipes are so loud.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 02:55:33 PM »

I am so new to motorcycles in general it's not funny. I bought my first bike at 45 a year ago. Now, I am a car dealer and I bought a 09 superglide at a auction with 5000 miles on it to sell. The bike has wide open VH 2into2s and a power commander and I don't know what else but the bike is screaming fast. I am amazed at how fast this bike is and how it pulls no matter what RPM you are at. It is MUCH faster than this breakout. .
If it makes any weird noises though I wouldn't be able to tell it because the pipes are so loud

And there you have the answer to why Harley riders change out the exhaust system as soon as they buy the bike.  If the exhaust is loud enough it covers up all the other noises the rest of the bike makes, reducing both the anxiety factor for the new owner and the embarrassment factor (the loud exhaust keeps bystanders from noticing all those embarrassing noises other bikes don't make).

Seriously, find some experienced Harley riders and have them listen to your bike.  You are much more likely to get an honest evaluation that way versus listening to the typical dealership service department.  To most Harley shops anything that hasn't blown up already is "NORMAL". 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrarider123

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 03:05:33 PM »

And there you have the answer to why Harley riders change out the exhaust system as soon as they buy the bike.  If the exhaust is loud enough it covers up all the other noises the rest of the bike makes, reducing both the anxiety factor for the new owner and the embarrassment factor (the loud exhaust keeps bystanders from noticing all those embarrassing noises other bikes don't make).

Seriously, find some experienced Harley riders and have them listen to your bike.  You are much more likely to get an honest evaluation that way versus listening to the typical dealership service department.  To most Harley shops anything that hasn't blown up already is "NORMAL". 

Jerry

X2 and amen.... :2vrolijk_21:

2013CVOBreakout

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 11:51:03 PM »

Well, its a lucky damn thing that I own a house in Humble TX that is rented to the man who owns V-Twin HD and knows more about HDs than anyone at the dealership. He doesn't have much love for the MoCo either. Ill let him ride it and see what he says. Tonight I was sitting at a red light and the damn thing backfired. It sounded like a big poot and a puff of smoke came out its ass. I couldn't get it to do it again though.

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 03:40:47 AM »

I'm kinda in the same boat as you as far as HD is concerned.  I rode dirt bikes for years, took a 20 year break, and decided I had to ride again.  Decided to get the CVO Street Glide (hey, you go big, or not at all, right?) and have been wondering what are "normal noises" ever since.  

I was told one of those noises was piston slap, often the result of tapered cylinders from poor manufacturing.  It sounded to me almost like wooden blocks being smacked together - not really a metallic noise.  It started on my stock bike at about 2000 rpm and faded out at about 2200 rpm.  Then, it came back from 2900 rpm to 3100 rpm.  It seemed to be getting worse, and it was embarrassing riding past other bikers.  I'm not sure if that description matches yours.

So, I went to two different stealerships, and they both said the same thing:  "That's a problem, but the 110s are noisy.  When it breaks down, we'll fix it under warranty."  What a load of shyte.  I didn't want to wait to break down in the middle of nowhere some day, so I just replaced the cylinders myself.  That noise is gone, but now I hear more valve train noises.  

As for the backfiring, mine did it, too.  Plus stalling when hot, decel popping, noticeable throttle lag, and ran really hot.  This is due to the lean AF ratio from the factory that allows the emissions to meet EPA standards.  Get a good fuel controller like the Power Vision or the TTS with a good map, and a set of good pipes.  Those two things will help.

I've decided that I'm not going to worry about every little noise.  As long as the bike is running strong and there's not a sudden, noticeable change in any noises, I'm just going to enjoy the ride.  After a couple years, I'm sure I'll be a lot better at recognizing and diagnosing all the different noises.

Funny thing is, even with all the problems and lousy service from HD, I wouldn't trade my SG for any other bike.

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.