Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: What exhaust/pipes are on your CVO Breakout?  (Read 30616 times)

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
What exhaust/pipes are on your CVO Breakout?
« on: April 15, 2013, 01:29:35 PM »

I'm ready to buy and I can't really get straight answers!  I really want the Short Shots Staggered, but V&H says that they won't fit....I'm waiting for the Big Radius 2-into2s but they keep getting pushed back.  Rinehart has nothing, Samson says they "might" fit, Bassani is the only company that has a definite answer.  I think if I ask here, I can get some definitive answers....

So....can you list the brand and model of exhaust you have along with anything special you needed to do, like 02 adapters.  Thanks guys!  Whats left of my tax return is really burning a hole in my pocket.

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout-crimson red
    • CVO2: 2012 V-Rod/10th Anniversary edition..well it SHOULD have been a CVO!
Re: What exhaust/pipes are on your CVO Breakout?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 02:23:00 PM »

Hey Nicky,

I know you know my story, but I like telling it   ;D

V/H Big Radius 2-2 for 2012-2013 Softail. 

Had them on for 1500 miles, fit perfect, no special considerations, sits further away from the oil lines than the stock exhaust, does not interfere with the forward controls, does not exit too close to the rear cylinder head, or any of the other stupid BS V/H support personnel is telling everyone.

They popped right into place just like.....well.....like they were made for a 2012-2013 Softail !

Several of us have the 2-2 now and have put some serious miles on them and they are perfect.

2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount
2012 10th Anniversary V-Rod, TAB slash-cut exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 Pro Tuner

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 02:53:12 PM »

What is supposedly different about a Breakout versus other Softails when it comes to fitting an exhaust system?  The frame is the same, the engine is still a Twin Cam with the heads and ports in the same ol' place, the trans is the same, etc..  Have any of those pipe companies actually told you why their stuff won't fit, or is it just "they won't fit" because the Breakout isn't listed in their database yet?  Something about this makes no sense, but it wouldn't be the first time a company said something won't work even though it does.  Harley does it all the time in their parts catalogs, claiming certain items won't work on a CVO for instance when in fact it works and fits just fine. 

I would assume the only real difference would be model years, with the difference in O2 sensor size and location.  :nixweiss:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout-crimson red
    • CVO2: 2012 V-Rod/10th Anniversary edition..well it SHOULD have been a CVO!
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 02:58:36 PM »

What is supposedly different about a Breakout versus other Softails when it comes to fitting an exhaust system?  The frame is the same, the engine is still a Twin Cam with the heads and ports in the same ol' place, the trans is the same, etc..  Have any of those pipe companies actually told you why their stuff won't fit, or is it just "they won't fit" because the Breakout isn't listed in their database yet?  Something about this makes no sense, but it wouldn't be the first time a company said something won't work even though it does.  Harley does it all the time in their parts catalogs, claiming certain items won't work on a CVO for instance when in fact it works and fits just fine. 

I would assume the only real difference would be model years, with the difference in O2 sensor size and location.  :nixweiss:

Jerry

well, the items I mentioned in my post are exactly, word for word, the reasons I was given from V/H technical support, on 3 different calls, as to why the current spec would not fit....I've never seen a company try so hard to turn away potential customers....

After a couple of folks had the V/H 2-2 installed, I took the plunge....it's not rocket science...they fit, end of story.
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount
2012 10th Anniversary V-Rod, TAB slash-cut exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 Pro Tuner

skullplant

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE Road Glide CVO-Red Pepper
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 07:17:59 PM »

Jerry

This is the email I got from Rinehart about the availability of the Cross Back exhaust:  "No we having nothing for a breakout cause of the larger rear tire they are working on it and it should be later this year. Thank you"

joe.f

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 09:03:12 PM »

I feel your pain....  I contacted D&D back in October 2012 regarding an exhaust for the CVO Breakout, & they sent me email with a link to their website.  The link was for the Low Cat 2:1 Exhaust System, & it specifically stated that it would fit the 2013 Breakout.  I purchased the exhaust system in November 2012 because my bike was supposed to be here in December, but it did not arrive until March 28, 2013.

Now when I was installing the system, I had taken it on & off the bike approximately (4x) because I was not satisfied with the clearances between the pipes & the oil lines.  I eventually installed 5/16" spacers between the mounting bracket & the frame..... therefore moving the pipes away from the lines. I now have approx. 7/16" - 1/2" between the vent line & the heat shield/ pipe.  

After making the system fit correctly with the spacers, I learned that D&D has since changed the application stating that it will NOT work on the Breakout because the oil vent line touches the rear heat shield/ pipe.  I contacted D&D, sent them photos of my spacing, and have sinced been informed by them that they have received correspondence from multiple mechanics that have done similar modifications to the spacers to get the exhaust to fit on the Breakout.  ***** If I were you..... I would wait for them to make the correct application *******
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 08:24:49 AM by joe.f »

joe.f

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 09:04:19 PM »

photo #2

joe.f

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 09:04:56 PM »

photo #3

joe.f

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 09:06:54 PM »

spacer view #1

joe.f

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 09:07:35 PM »

spacer view #2

joe.f

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 09:08:30 PM »

muffler / frame clearance

joe.f

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 09:10:08 PM »

joe.f

• Junior CVO Member

joe.f

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2013, 09:15:14 PM »

I have brought the bike to Rosa's Cycle Shop for a computer tuner & a dyno-tune.....   Andrew installed the TechoResearch Tuner, & dyno-tuned the bike.... check out the charts.... the bike tuned well & sounds really good.....

joe.f

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2013, 09:16:13 PM »

I have brought the bike to Rosa's Cycle Shop for a computer tuner & a dyno-tune.....   Andrew installed the TechoResearch Tuner, & dyno-tuned the bike.... check out the charts.... the bike tuned well & sounds really good.....
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 21 queries.