Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Got out for a while.....after the ride I noticed a little oil leak....I think.  (Read 4154 times)

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member

I got out for a litle 50 mile ride yesterday.  After letting it cool down, I gave it my normal wipe down and I noticed a very light coat of oil around the oil feed and a return lines on the engine.  It was a light coat and it wiped right off.  I'm wondering if this is a break in thing.....the bike only has 100 miles on it.  My Street Glide had cylinder base weeping for the first 100 miles then went away.  Either way, when I get my pipes installed I'm gona have them look at it.

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 - CVO Softail Convertible, 2012
    • CVO2: HD Custom Softail Heritage (Sold)
    • CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!

Don't take any chances! run it back to the Dealer and let them have a quick look at it, thats what the warranty's for!
Good Luck!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 09:10:15 AM by Charlie »
Better to Reign in Hell than serve in Heaven!
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout-crimson red
    • CVO2: 2012 V-Rod/10th Anniversary edition..well it SHOULD have been a CVO!

Hmmm.  I never have noticed any oil from any exposed location on my Breakout at all...and like you, I wipe it down regularly and know every nook and cranny extremely well...!
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount
2012 10th Anniversary V-Rod, TAB slash-cut exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 Pro Tuner

kb1

this is the same as myself , ive done 3000kms on my breakout went on a run 1000kms and noticed a film of oil in the same area oil feed lines and gasket  ive not taken it back to shop as yet but i will be. soon.

cvo1717

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2013 CVO BREAKOUT BLACK SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 CVO FATBOB BLACK DENIM HELLFIRE FLAMES TRADED IN
    • CVO3: 2020 CVO street glide

I have noticed the same oil leak. I took it to the dealer they said thats normal for the first few hundred miles .they wiped it clean and said if it does not stop come back. so far it stopped  leaking after 250 miles but we will see :nixweiss:
Mike
2013 CVO BREAKOUT 117 KIT
ROSAS HEADS WOODS TW 8-6 CAM
RB RACING 2 INTO 1 PROSTOCK CHALLENGE PIPE
130 HP  134 TQ STD
126 hp   131 TQ SAE

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4

I have noticed the same oil leak. I took it to the dealer they said thats normal for the first few hundred miles .they wiped it clean and said if it does not stop come back. so far it stopped  leaking after 250 miles but we will see :nixweiss:

I think I'd have to ask them to put it in writing saying it's normal to leak for the first few hundred miles.  Ridiculous response from your dealer, and even more ridiculous if it's true..
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2

I think I'd have to ask them to put it in writing saying it's normal to leak for the first few hundred miles.  Ridiculous response from your dealer, and even more ridiculous if it's true..

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:     The stupidity never ceases in the world of Harley dealers.  The f'n oil lines are sealed with O-rings if I remember correctly, and O-rings don't require break-in.  But they do require the fittings be torqued properly.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Carbon 60

My FXSBSE also seeps oil from the Middle of the Three Lines on the motor.
My Service Manual reads it to be the Return Line from the Motor to the Oil Tank.

I noticed the retainer on this Line at the motor is loose (spins around freely), not tight like the retainers on the Feed line and the Vent Line.

Dealer wants to keep the bike for repair two days if they have the parts in stock otherwise longer.

I told them I'd find another way to solve this problem even if I have to buy the Retainer the Tool and the O-Rings and install them myself.

Garr
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 09:10:33 AM by Carbon 60 »

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member

My FXSBSE also seeps oil from the Lower of the Three Lines on the motor.
My Service Manual reads it to be the Feed Line from the Oil Bag to the Motor.
I think I'll wait for my "O Rings" to break in on that line (LOL) as I only have 90 miles on the bike so far.

The upper two lines appear to be Oil Seep free.
Garr

I noticed it right where the bottom two lines actually connect to the motor.  Its not a lot at all....I'm a little crazy about keeping things clean.

Carbon 60

I noticed it right where the bottom two lines actually connect to the motor.  Its not a lot at all....I'm a little crazy about keeping things clean.

Well, I was going to check the Torque on that fitting but I can't figure out how to remove the Big Chrome Cap covering what's inside.

Well, I figured out the Big Chrome Cap is the actual Fitting that holds the Oil Line Retainer with the O-Rings, no need to remove it.
You just need the HD-44455 Tool to remove the Retainer from the oil line fitting so you can replace the O-Rings.

Garr
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 08:36:16 AM by Carbon 60 »

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member

When I get my pipes on I'm gonna have it checked.  I believe the plastic retainers pop out and the gives you access.  I'm gonna let the dealer do it because the pipes will be off.

Black denim

• Junior CVO Member

Hi all, I also have some oil from the 2 lower oil pipes. Oil leak is much smaller now after riding about 240 miles.
I think this will be tight after some miles, I hope...
2013 CVO Breakout Black Diamond

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout-crimson red
    • CVO2: 2012 V-Rod/10th Anniversary edition..well it SHOULD have been a CVO!

Great.  Thanks to you folks, I'm checking my oil lines every time I walk by my bike  ;D

Dry as a bone after 2400 miles.....I agree with what someone else said regarding the nut not being torqued properly on some bikes...
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount
2012 10th Anniversary V-Rod, TAB slash-cut exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 Pro Tuner

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member

I think it only happens after riding.....I wiped the almost clear film off and it is fine.

Black denim

• Junior CVO Member

Been to the dealer today and they will replace the o-ring seals.
There shall be no oil leakage from the lines and this will not be sealed before replacing the o-rings said the dealer.
2013 CVO Breakout Black Diamond

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member

I rode for about 50 miles today and the leak was back!  I was suppose to drop my bike off tomorrow to get the pipes put on, but on the way home I stopped at the dealer 15 minutes before close and they said I could just leave it there rather then try to get it there tomorrow morning.  They said its not normal and they're gonna put new o rings in and re-torque them.  Since the pipes will be off it will just make it that much easier.

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member

I think this may be more common then we think.....
They have another Breakout there and they started it up to show me the big radius pipes and I jokingly asked, "dos this one leak too?", and they service manager runs his finger on the 2 fittings and sure enough, he had some oil on his finger tips!

Carbon 60

Great.  Thanks to you folks, I'm checking my oil lines every time I walk by my bike  ;D

Dry as a bone after 2400 miles.....I agree with what someone else said regarding the nut not being torqued properly on some bikes...

I don't believe it's the Nut. It appears to be the that the NUT (oil line fitting) is just the device to hold the Oil Line Retainer that has the O-Rings on it and makes the seal.

The Nut ( oil line fitting) does not have to be removed to replace the Oil Line Retainer.
You need to squeeze the two Plastic retainer clips sticking out from the rear of the Oil Line fitting while pulling on the Oil Line.
 (This will remove the oil line with the retainer attached)

You will need the Tool (HD-44455) to Re-install the Retainer after you replace the 2 "O-Rings & Spacer".

I bought the "Quick Connect Stuffer" HD part# 63632-00.( Large Oil Line parts only not the Vent line parts)
 This kit (63632-00) contains the large oil line Retainer w/O-Rings & Spacer and the HD-44455 installation Tool (completely assembled).

If I'm wrong about this someone please correct me,
(trying to learn)
Garr
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 08:39:04 AM by Carbon 60 »
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.