Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: High Heat  (Read 1108 times)

gledav46

High Heat
« on: July 10, 2013, 09:18:52 AM »

Anyone else complaining about the high heat coming from the exhaust? I removed the cat converter and it's still putting off more heat that I've ever experienced on other Harley's that I've had. Friend of mine is having the same problem. We're both having to use that Highway pegs all the time and still getting leg burn. Any suggestions? Wrap pipes? Change exhaust?

panz

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED ...GOLDEN GIRL
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO ULTRA Traded
    • CVO3: 2009 Ultra Classic Traded
Re: High Heat
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 09:46:26 AM »

Gledav46; I have a 13 cvo ultra and changed to a stock catless pipe and still feel the heat like you say you do. I am thinking of putting on exieds from nightrider to see if they improve the heat situation. I have read on other threads that those that have put on x pipes experience extreme difference in heat, being a lot less with these pipes. Maybe we have to go to these. I really don't care about "super" performance, it's a touring bike, just want to get rid of the heat, plus don't want to spend an arm and a leg for a tuner etc.
"LIFE IS SHORT...ENJOY IT!"

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 09:53:03 AM »

Welcome to the site from west Tennessee!  I'm sure that if you go to the engine or exhaust section and use the search option you will find numerous threads and solutions on this topic.  Glad to have another member that's from Memphis!  Good luck with the heat issue.
Jesus is Lord

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 11:51:59 AM »

I put on the Fullsac X and its a difference of night and day. You do have to have a tuner to get the results, but Steve has a list of canned maps so you don't have to spend a ton on tunes unless you are after peak performance. Was going to get a tune, but mine runs so good I'm skipping it for now. What are my numbers? :nixweiss: :nixweiss:. When I twist the throttle it goes......unless I forget to release the clutch, then it just Revs.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

HDOrange

• 2012 SECU7
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 12:33:06 PM »

I've done a lot of research, especially on this website and the general conclusion is get a tuner. I have removed the cat and had the headpipes powder coated and installed the fulsac 2" baffels, however the BSR's right leg still gets really hot. With that being said guess i'll be saving my dollars now for a TTs tuner. Steve  and his crew at  Fulsac are fantastic to help you with your heat problems, they won't be just blowing smoke up your pipes!!!! :2vrolijk_21:
Mike

gledav46

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 12:45:51 PM »

Had a guy on another site say that he wrapped his and it made a considerable difference. I may try that 1st since I already have the wrap.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 01:17:56 PM »

Had a guy on another site say that he wrapped his and it made a considerable difference. I may try that 1st since I already have the wrap.

Can't go wrong with using what you've already got. If it works, you're done for free. If it doesn't work, you got rid of that wrap that was laying on your shelf. Good luck!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 04:51:54 PM »

Add a spacer to the heat shield. I found the Shields get just about as hot as the pipes. I put a 10mm spacer that lowered the heat comming off the shield. Worked for me :)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 05:31:03 PM »

Do some research on the wrap deal first.  I've read a lot of reports stating the wrap caused premature failure of the pipes, often referred to as "pipe rot".  I have no first hand experience with it, just thought I'd mention what others have said.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

100HP

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 10:53:51 PM »

Agree with grc, 99% of wraps cause pipe rust, wear and rot. Water/moisture will get under the wrap ( seems strange with all the heat they produce) causes a steam reaction and works the pipes.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 11:01:37 PM »

Fullsac Stage 1 (or better yet, Stage 2) Sleeper Kit is a much better alternative than wrapping the pipes.

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 22 queries.