Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Does oil cooler really help  (Read 15183 times)

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible
Re: Does oil cooler really help
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2013, 12:22:10 AM »

+1 for the Wards Parts Werks fans. I just did a 400 mile weekend ride and some of that was in typical NYC choke point traffic getting in and out of the city. I normally dread that part of the ride as the ConV heats up quickly in summertime stop and go traffic. Once that starts parade mode is not enough to keep it cool and you either have to stop or start splitting lanes to keep the bike moving. Well these fans made an incredible difference - the bike has not gone into parade mode since the install. I chose the chrome version and they look great. I had planned on adding an oil cooler as well but with the way the bike ran with the fans, it's just not needed anymore.

Jason has engineered a great product and worth a second look if your ride has the typical 110 heat issues and you haven't done anything yet to address it yet.

MikeV
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2013, 05:26:47 PM »

hey Charlie ...had to reschedule apt due to rain  so it will be this  Wednesday the 19th till I can post pics and get all the info for ya
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 - CVO Softail Convertible, 2012
    • CVO2: HD Custom Softail Heritage (Sold)
    • CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2013, 09:37:39 PM »

hey Charlie ...had to reschedule apt due to rain  so it will be this  Wednesday the 19th till I can post pics and get all the info for ya
Hey Lever,
No worries, thanks for your efforts,
Better to Reign in Hell than serve in Heaven!
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2013, 09:33:42 PM »

Oil filter housing pic
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2013, 09:43:43 PM »

Oil filter housing pic
Come on Lever! you can do better than that with a camera!  ;)
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2013, 09:48:56 AM »

yea i know charlie forgot camera...takin with  cell phone ... let me try again this week
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2013, 10:28:59 AM »

yea i know charlie forgot camera...takin with  cell phone ... let me try again this week
Cheers Lever  :2vrolijk_21:

prstaples1911

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2013, 12:25:36 PM »

I am having the oil cooler installed Saturday.  I am told the model that mounts between the down tubes (model number 26157-07 ) is being discontinued.   Most likely due to ABS becoming standard on Softails next year.  That is my guess.  I wanted to confirm that others installed this model with success.  Also, the clutch cable looks like it will be routed directly behind the cooler.  I am concerned that the heat from the cooler will harm the fluid in the line.  Any experience with that from someone who had the oil cooler installed this way.

Thanks,

Paul
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 12:28:34 PM by prstaples1911 »

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2013, 12:38:37 PM »

I have it on my bike no problems
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

RCFlyer

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 Softail Convertible

• CVO1: 2010 SE Softail Covertible
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2013, 11:16:11 PM »

If you have about 5 beers the picture comes in clearly.  Seriously, I have an HD cooler and it works quite well.  I'm in upstate NY and the temperatures have been in the upper 80's.  My bike still runs cool.  I don't think my oil temperature has ever gone over 235. I know it's not as hot as other places, but I did notice a difference after installing it.  Also a richer fuel mixture helps keep the engine temperature down.
1947 Flat Head 80
1947 Knuckle Head
1963 Sportster
1971 Superglide
1978 Low Rider
1989 Ultra Classic
1996 Road King

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2013, 11:50:35 PM »

I'll dissent. 

The Mothership sells the same bike, with the same ECM programming, with the same warranty, in Alaska as it does in Arizona.  If it came with a cooler, it needs it.  If it didn't, it doesn't.  If you add power, it probably does.  Run synthetic oil, which is more resistant to thermal breakdown, change it every 5,000 miles, and don't worry about it. 

FWIW, an oil cooler is still acting as a heat exchanger, though not as efficiently, when you're not moving. 

Sent from my iPad, probably while I'm pooping.
The best you've had is the best you know.

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2013, 06:02:41 AM »

I'll dissent. 

The Mothership sells the same bike, with the same ECM programming, with the same warranty, in Alaska as it does in Arizona.  If it came with a cooler, it needs it.  If it didn't, it doesn't.  If you add power, it probably does.  Run synthetic oil, which is more resistant to thermal breakdown, change it every 5,000 miles, and don't worry about it. 

FWIW, an oil cooler is still acting as a heat exchanger, though not as efficiently, when you're not moving. 

I'll disagree with this one. ALL 110's should have an oil cooler - period. Many buyers don't want to change everything to lower temps or add performance, they just want to ride. All the touring 110's have an oil cooler and the softails with the same motor don't. The added weight of the touring bikes, imo, does not justify the softails getting screwed out of the cooler. The math only adds up correctly at HD corporate.
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2013, 11:09:32 AM »

I'll disagree with this one. ALL 110's should have an oil cooler - period. Many buyers don't want to change everything to lower temps or add performance, they just want to ride. All the touring 110's have an oil cooler and the softails with the same motor don't. The added weight of the touring bikes, imo, does not justify the softails getting screwed out of the cooler. The math only adds up correctly at HD corporate.
Can you document engine damage to CVO Softails due to a lack of a cooler?  If not, what do you base your "should" on?  The company that builds and warrants that engine disagrees with you.

Not that the MoCo is without fault, just saying that they have a hefty financial stake in not paying out warranty claims.

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2013, 04:15:26 PM »

Agree with Warlock on this one, the bike should have a cooler.  I love my bike but would never take as firm a stand as 05train defending MoCo engineering.
Fortunately they get most things right, but they have certainly missed a few steps through the years.

JB

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2013, 09:21:20 PM »

I hate that it sounds like I'm defending the MoCo, but the fact remains that these engines were designed to be air cooled.  90% of the "heat" threads you read are people who expect their bike motor to act like their car motor.  They aren't the same.

There are several companies who make a pile of money scaring riders into obsessing about engine and oil temperature.  Good for them, I guess.  But with all the various Harley forums out there, when was the last time anyone posted anything about their motor failing due to heat?   In almost 10 years of reading, I've never heard of a single one. 

For me, I'll just ride the bike and change the oil every 5,000 miles.  I've done UOA, and without fail, every report shows that I could have gone longer with no negative effects.   

But if someone is dead-set on adding a cooler to a stock bike, then more power to them.  It certainly won't hurt anything as long as the oil gets up to operating temperature. 

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.454 seconds with 21 queries.