Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lubrication question  (Read 1888 times)

2013CVOBreakout

• Junior CVO Member
Lubrication question
« on: May 20, 2013, 11:10:43 PM »

Im putting this here for a reason so bare with me. I have always put Amsoil 20w50 in all the holes of my Yamaha warrior, can I not put it in all the holes of my Breakout? I had the 1000 mile fluid change done and they put the Amsoil in the crank case but they told me I had to use the regular HD chit in the tranny and the clutch. Is this true? If I cannot use Amsoil 20w50 in the tranny and clutch then is there a synthetic alternative to the HD mineral oil?  BTW After I changed to Amsoil that awful noise at 2300-2500 rpm pretty much went away. I was told at the dealer to buy loud pipes so I couldn't hear the noise, that it was natural.

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Lubrication question
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 11:30:13 PM »

2000-2500 rims is noisey one every Harley.

Black denim

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 02:35:36 AM »

International CVO Breakout comes with syn3 in all holes. This oil is also recommended.
2013 CVO Breakout Black Diamond

2013CVOBreakout

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 07:35:42 AM »

SYN3 is 20W50 so why cant I put the Amsoil in all 3 holes?

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 07:40:16 AM »

SYN3 is 20W50 so why cant I put the Amsoil in all 3 holes?
You can... like you said as the MoCo does w/Syn 3 in all three holes... however isn't/wouldn't it be better to use a lubricant that is specific for its application in their specific hole. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 08:47:23 AM »

Im putting this here for a reason so bare with me. I have always put Amsoil 20w50 in all the holes of my Yamaha warrior, can I not put it in all the holes of my Breakout? I had the 1000 mile fluid change done and they put the Amsoil in the crank case but they told me I had to use the regular HD chit in the tranny and the clutch. Is this true? If I cannot use Amsoil 20w50 in the tranny and clutch then is there a synthetic alternative to the HD mineral oil?  BTW After I changed to Amsoil that awful noise at 2300-2500 rpm pretty much went away. I was told at the dealer to buy loud pipes so I couldn't hear the noise, that it was natural.

When you say "they" I assume you're talking about a dealership.  Chalk up one more bit of BS from a Harley dealership.

If the Amsoil you're talking about is the motorcycle specific 20w50 that says right on the bottle it will work in all three holes, then it is every bit as good as (and likely better than) the SYN3 that came in all three holes from the factory.  So yes, if that's what you really want to do then you can run it in all three holes.  However, I highly recommend using a real gear lube (75w90) in the transmission rather than "fortified" motor oil like those that claim they will work in all three holes.  Your trans will thank you as you pile up the miles.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

2013CVOBreakout

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 10:55:25 AM »

When you say "they" I assume you're talking about a dealership.  Chalk up one more bit of BS from a Harley dealership.

If the Amsoil you're talking about is the motorcycle specific 20w50 that says right on the bottle it will work in all three holes, then it is every bit as good as (and likely better than) the SYN3 that came in all three holes from the factory.  So yes, if that's what you really want to do then you can run it in all three holes.  However, I highly recommend using a real gear lube (75w90) in the transmission rather than "fortified" motor oil like those that claim they will work in all three holes.  Your trans will thank you as you pile up the miles.

Jerry
[/quote]

Got it, That is what I will do. This makes sense. I am asking because I want the best to make it last the longest.

Thanks

Dead_Reckoning

• Elite CVO Member
  • 03 SERK
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 12:52:40 PM »

Im putting this here for a reason so bare with me. I have always put Amsoil 20w50 in all the holes of my Yamaha warrior, can I not put it in all the holes of my Breakout? I had the 1000 mile fluid change done and they put the Amsoil in the crank case but they told me I had to use the regular HD chit in the tranny and the clutch. Is this true? If I cannot use Amsoil 20w50 in the tranny and clutch then is there a synthetic alternative to the HD mineral oil?  BTW After I changed to Amsoil that awful noise at 2300-2500 rpm pretty much went away. I was told at the dealer to buy loud pipes so I couldn't hear the noise, that it was natural.

I use
Trans - Amsoil Sever Gear 75W-90
Cranlcase - Amsoil 20W-50
Primary - Redshift V-twin primary Chain lube

Works for me. Never have used Syn3

« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 05:41:22 PM by Dead_Reckoning »
Government is best which governs least.

Power Commander 3 Tuner
Doherty Power PACC with K&N Air Filter
Screamin' Eagle® Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner and High-Flow Oil Pump
Headwinds 2" Bullet Passing Lights 50w'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp Kit

Layin the Pipe

• Drill baby drill!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FXSBSE Hard Candy Gold Dust/Liquid Sun
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 12:58:59 PM »

When I saw the topic to this thread I was thinking astroglide or spit.
You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas! - Davy Crockett

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 01:13:30 PM »

I LOL'd!!!

2013CVOBreakout

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 02:51:41 PM »

It would be far to late to answer that question

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 21 queries.