Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Full faced helmets in the Southern heat  (Read 14617 times)

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
Re: Full faced helmets in the Southern heat
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2013, 08:16:14 AM »

At this point, I'll be happy with one that fits.
If I was sensitive I'd have a real complex by now John. You should see the looks I've got when the 3X's don't come close to fitting. The worst was from Janet!!

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: Joe, Janet can have fun with that because you know she loves that "Hoghead"...heck, she married ya! :P :D ;D As for everyone else, this is the way I look at it as a believer in Christ. God created each and everyone of us the way we are. Tall, short, fat, skinny, little heads big heads and so on and so forth. Scripture tells us God is perfect and makes no mistake. So, the next time your trying on a helmet and getting those looks, tell them if they have a problem with it to take it up with God! He made you this way and He is perfect so take it up with Him! It works, I use it all the time, just ask anyone that's been around me for a while! ;) ;D :2vrolijk_21:
Love ya Joe, God Bless!

:bananarock:

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2022 CVO Road Glide Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 Titanium/Black FLHRSE6
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2013, 08:34:52 AM »

Thanks John. I actually thought it was really funny. The sales people would bring me a 3X helmet and when it didn't fit they were lost.  :o Didn't know what to do or say. I've always had trouble finding decent headgear so it's no big deal to me. I typically can't even wear the "one size fits all" ball caps. Janet's used to it too, after all we've been together over 40 years. I tried on a HJC IS-MAX and it felt like my ears were sticking out the bottom. I thought Janet was gonna fall on the floor. Like I said in an earlier post, it takes a lot of skull to hold all this brain. To quote Popeye, "I am what I am" and it's all good.

At least I did find the Shuberth C3. Once I try the N104 from Revzilla I'll have a modular, one way or the other.

Joe
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 10:24:13 AM by JoeVibe »

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• photobucket.com
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2013, 09:42:59 AM »

:2vrolijk_21:

CVORick

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2013, 04:06:48 PM »

Joe, guess I am a lot like you.  I also have to have a 3XXXL helmet.  The only one that would fit me was the ARAI Profile.  Don't know if they are sill available but it fits great.  Looks like the new model is the Signet-Q.  It is also a long-oval interior shape.  It is available in 3XXXL.  I bought mine at the Helmet Shop in Daytona.  Good luck.
http://www.araiamericas.com/default.aspx?pageid=57#/helmets/moto
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 04:21:31 PM by CVORick »
TTS Mastertune - Doc's Performance Tuning
Supertrapp 2:1 Supermeg
HD Bluetooth BOMM
Zumo 590LM with TPMS
Motolights with LEDs'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
LED Headlight & Driving Lights from HD

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2013, 06:25:03 PM »

Thanks Rick. I looked at Arai but I don't believe they make a modular and that's really what I want. I've always wore a 3/4 helmet because I wear glasses and the modular will just be easier to get on and off than a full face. I did find the Shuberth C3 to fit pretty good and now I'm waiting for a Nolan N104 I ordered yesterday to show up so I can try it. According to Revzilla's reviews the N104 is more oval than than the C3 and that's just what I need. If it fits just a little better than the C3 it'll work great. If not, I'm sure I can massage the C3 enough to make it work.

Joe

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2013, 10:48:07 PM »

Well, the Nolan N104 showed up today. I wore it around the house for about an hour and a half (Yes, Janet thinks I'm nuts) and though it is snug I had no uncomfortable or painful spots!  :2vrolijk_21: I feel like (hope) once I break it in it'll be perfect.

There is a problem with the sun shield that I'm going to call about tomorrow. The shield comes down and retracts fine until I open the top vents, then it only retracts about half way. I can't see a rub but I'm sure it's hitting the vent mechanism. I'll see what they have to say about that tomorrow.

I want to thank everybody for the help with my search. As always, your info is invaluable. Hope to see most all of you in Maggie Valley!

Take care,

Joe

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2013, 11:55:46 AM »

Went to four different stores and tried on a bunch of modular helmets today. The only one that fit decent was a Shuberth C3. It was a little tight at my forehead but I think it could work with a little tweaking. I never did find a Nolan N-104 so I've decided to order one from Revzilla and give it a shot. If the Nolan doesn't fit better than the Shuberth, I'm going to go with the C3.

As with most others, I am in the same once you go FF it is hard to go back. I will occasionally wear the half for short rides, but anything more then just hopping around is the FF.

As to your fit, and this is right from the Nolan USA people, they will sometimes "adjust" the interior by rolling the the foam with a billiard ball.
I didn't have a billiard ball with me, but on my Maggie Valley trip last year I did some "adjusting" each night using the hotel' TV remote control.
The Nolan USA person I spoke with is a part owner and told me that is how they adjust all the FF helmets for the road racers.

I found two tight areas (downright painful) areas with my Nolan 104. Right over my eyeglass temples and the outer edges of my ears.

The temple pressure was fairly easy, I just removed the foam from that area of the cheek pad.
The ear pressure took a bit more effort. The pain was near the top of my ear but the area I found that was causing was the bottom edge of the Styrofoam.
Took a week of riding - adjusting to get it pain free.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2013, 06:18:14 PM »

Thanks for the info Duane! The helmet I was sent had a problem with the visor retracting and after talking to Nolan and Revzilla, I sent it back for exchange. I hope to have the replacement by the end of the week. Like I said earlier, I wore the first one for about 1-1/2 hours and didn't find any painful spots. It was a snug fit but it actually felt pretty good. Hopefully the replacement will be the same. But if I need to make adjustments I'll try the pool ball massage method. Thanks again!

Joe

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2013, 08:39:15 PM »

Final follow up.

I got the replacement helmet today. It works like it should and is very comfortable, maybe more than the first one was. I'm officially a full face helmet fan now.

I have to say that Revzilla's customer service was first rate!! When I called with the problem on the first helmet they immediately emailed me return paperwork and a prepaid UPS sticker. I shipped the helmet to them last Friday, they recieved it Tuesday and I got the replacement today.

Price was good and service was great!! I will definitely do business with them again. :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Joe

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2013, 09:56:19 PM »

Final follow up.

I got the replacement helmet today. It works like it should and is very comfortable, maybe more than the first one was. I'm officially a full face helmet fan now.

I have to say that Revzilla's customer service was first rate!! When I called with the problem on the first helmet they immediately emailed me return paperwork and a prepaid UPS sticker. I shipped the helmet to them last Friday, they recieved it Tuesday and I got the replacement today.

Price was good and service was great!! I will definitely do business with them again. :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Joe

Congrats Joe!  Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine, good choice! :2vrolijk_21:
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

ultrarider123

« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2013, 08:00:42 AM »

Congrats Joe.  Just visited Revzilla and looks like they have quite a selection of EVERYTHING.  Will bookmark that site for future reference.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2013, 10:05:46 AM »

My Nolan actually got more comfortable after wearing and just putting it on and taking it off a few times. I have to wear sunglasses with skinny arms or they bother the tops of my ears.

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2013, 12:02:30 PM »

I haven't done a long ride yet with the Nolan and they're calling for rain all weekend AGAIN but I'm looking forward to spending a whole day out cruising with it. I've always wore glasses and that kept me from going full face. The flip face is perfect. I wear wire frames so the arms are pretty small. So far I've not noticed any problems there.

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• photobucket.com
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2013, 06:34:16 PM »

Hey Joe! :drink: Congrats on stepping into the full face helmet crowd! I too think Revzilla is awesome for customer service and think Anthony's reviews are fantastic. I had to exchange my wifes helmet and went as smooth as yours did! Look forward to seeing ya buddy, until then ride safe and God's sweet blessings to you and Janet! :2vrolijk_21:

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2013, 10:18:37 PM »

Congrats Joe!  Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine, good choice! :2vrolijk_21:

Congrats Joe.  Just visited Revzilla and looks like they have quite a selection of EVERYTHING.  Will bookmark that site for future reference.

Hey Joe! :drink: Congrats on stepping into the full face helmet crowd! I too think Revzilla is awesome for customer service and think Anthony's reviews are fantastic. I had to exchange my wifes helmet and went as smooth as yours did! Look forward to seeing ya buddy, until then ride safe and God's sweet blessings to you and Janet! :2vrolijk_21:

Thanks for your help and support guys, and to everybody that posted advice on this thread. Man, I love this forum!! Now I have to figure out what to do about a headset so I'm heading to the Electronics section. I hope to see everyone in Maggie Valley, or maybe even before. Ride safe!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 22 queries.