Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Yet Another Handlebar Thread! WO 575s  (Read 3363 times)

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

Yet Another Handlebar Thread! WO 575s
« on: May 30, 2013, 01:18:29 PM »

Yes, I've worn myself out with the search and read many many threads. The most common information is inconsistency it seems.

I have a newly acquired 2010 CUSE5 and I need to install Wild1 WO575 bars. I have a call in to W1 and am waiting on a call back but I thought I should toss this around here first. The bike of course has ABS/TBW/HydClutch/Heated grips/Com;Audio controls/cruise yadayadayada
The Question: Is it possible to properly install these bars on this bike withOUT extending the brake or clutch hoses?

Thanks

Ricky
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
Re: Yet Another Handlebar Thread! WO 575s
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 01:22:06 PM »

Pick your poison...order them and not need them or take the bike apart and need them. 

I have had it happen both ways..+2 inch...I did not need them on my 09 and did on a pals 10...so there...

Yup as surprising as it sounds the super tight tolerance that HD exacts on all its stuff is a requirement for the hydraulic hoses...be plus or minus 2 inches I guess... :drink:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 01:50:46 PM »

As noted above, this is definitely NOT a simple yes or no answer situation.  And the advice was excellent.  Order the 2" over lines from someone who will allow you to return them for credit if they aren't needed, assuming you can find someone that will do that.  Or buy them and if you don't need them sell them to someone else planning the same mod.

There are plenty of reasons why the stock line might may not fit, including miker's suggestion that Harley tolerances tend to be wide and wider.  Others include the manner in which the folks on the assembly line routed the line through the fairing.  Some have been routed inside the fairing brackets, some have been routed outside the brackets, etc.  What you don't want is to try to route the line to avoid changing it and wind up with any binding.

Good luck.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

GeogiaCVOrider

• Full CVO Member
  • 2012 CVO Ultra Classic
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 03:47:25 PM »

First check your clutch line length. Some had 65 inch lines and some had 61 or 62 inch lines. I don't know why, maybe whatever they had on the shelf that day. If you have the 65 inch lines you are good to go, BUT you will need to run the clutch line up the right side of the frame (as it is now). Then let it run on the left side of the neck. This allows the clutch line to move very minimal.
Other than that, your heated grip cables will reach but they will be your shortest wires coming out of the bars.
Georgia CVO Rider
Ride it until the wheels fall off, then hang-on

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 04:53:08 PM »

The clutch line will likely be fine, but you might have to route it slightly different inside the fairing.  The brake line is real iffy.

If you will contact Jim (hd-dude) here on the site (his shop is called Metal Dragon and is located in the Northern California area) he will know exactly what you will need and can furnish all the parts, including the bars, as well as advise you.  Plus, you get a discount.  Jim is a great guy...salt of the earth.  I have purchased several things through him rather than order everything separately from each vendor just because I know it will be the right stuff, at a decent price, and if I need him for anything, he'll be there for me.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 05:41:46 PM »

Thats whatta I shoulda typed...call Jim... ;) :drink:

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 08:19:53 PM »

I've installed WO 578's  on my 2011 SEUC6 without changing any cables. The 575's & 578's are similiar. There are plenty of threads to research changing out your bars. It has litterly been beat to death. If you have any questions you can PM me or CVOBrian as we have changed out our bars with 578's & I believe they are taller. You won't have a problem with the length, but you might have a probem with all the work that is involved in changing them!

Good Luck!
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 09:13:46 PM »

You won't have a problem with the length, but you might have a problem with all the work that is involved in changing them!

Good Luck!

As far as the work goes....clear off a nice table or work bench and put a nice big towel down....take pics  and make notes.

Dish soap works great as a pulling lube.

There are some very good detailed instructions in a different thread.

I did mine on Ruby.....and added Heat Demons as well as put the 660 GPS cable IN the bars too. It was a 12 hour job from start to finish including doing the Progressive Monotubes.

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 09:33:22 PM »

MY WO575 install went like this: Brake line was fine, clutch line was a little short--even after re-routing it. There does not seem to be any pattern to line length.....some people need them and some don't. As stated before--order the lines and return it if you don't need them, or leave the bike apart while you wait for the parts to come in. I did mine in the winter, so waiting a few days did not matter.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 04:13:16 AM »

i didnt need anthing when i did my 12 sesg3..Guess I was lucky of the moco was generous that day,, :nixweiss:

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 11:59:27 AM »

Thanks for the responses. I'm aware it's been beaten to death, but the variety of answers in all those threads are what drove the question. I didn't know if there was a rhyme or reason for the ambiguity. There may have actually been a correlation to specific models/options/production runs that would make sense of it. There is a lot of excellent info in this. The main thing is to measure the clutch hose; if it's 65" I'm good, otherwise, order a hose.
I'll try to determine the "slack" in the ABS hose as well.

Thanks for the info.

Ricky

2010FLHTCUSE5

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: '10 FLHTCUSE5, FullSac Xpipe, 2",TTS, 8 speaker HogTunes!
    • CVO2: WO's Chubby 578, Road Tech Zumo 660
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 06:01:52 PM »

I have the same ride FLHTCUSE5 and just had installed WO's Chubby's 578's, it needed no new cables.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=79020.msg1123627#msg1123627

I hope that this link takes you to my update post.  I have never posted from one topic to another topic.
Good Luck you will love them.
I was so much Older then....I am younger than that Now.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 09:34:03 PM »

I didn't need to replace any cables when I installed my WO 575 bars. Maybe you'll get lucky as I did!

Be sure to record the color and position of each wire before you take the pins out of each connector. And be sure you get the two 3-wire cables from the throttle sensor plugged back into the proper connectors. If you get them swapped like I did, your bike won't start! One bundle is all black and the other has yellow on it, I seem to remember... but that was ages ago!

Good luck... It's NOT a fun job at all.

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 07:21:46 PM »

Ricky,

I had those bars on my Limited.  Cable clutch mind you, but yes I had to go with a +2 cable.  I've heard tell that the stock brake line will work, but I wasn't comfortable at all with the way it looked at full lock.

The wiring doesn't need to be extended.  You can move stuff around in the fairing to make it all work, just make sure you wire-tie everything well, otherwise it's a royal PITA to get the outer fairing back on.
The best you've had is the best you know.

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 10:09:15 PM »

Today I got a quote and some info from the dealer.
are you ready for this?

Including the bars (still 575s)

There's nine (9) hours labor in there.

The interesting part for me was to learn that they don't install exact-matching hoses that are a few inches longer,
but they install fittings that 'adapt' the fitting end needed to "AN" fittings; They then buy a hose in the needed length with AN fittings.
So instead of a fully custom hose that the bike comes with, its a generic female/female AN hose and the required adapters.
I think that's great, as it keeps the costs down with each hose totaling ~ $75
The other good news is that we can buy the fittings and get the hoses ourselves from various sources.
Before ordering, I will do some measuring and then decide if they are needed.
I WILL be doing this job myself....
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 11:56:30 PM by MrSurly »

2010FLHTCUSE5

GeogiaCVOrider

• Full CVO Member
  • 2012 CVO Ultra Classic
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2013, 01:14:51 PM »

It's fairly strait forward, just time consuming. I want very slow and it took me 10 hrs. I worked about 6 hours one day and worked on it again 2 days later.
Just take your time with making notes on the connectors and it will go smoothly.
Georgia CVO Rider
Ride it until the wheels fall off, then hang-on

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2013, 01:21:43 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:

:drink:

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 12:50:33 AM »

I asked our local dealer what it would cost to change my handlebars.  I was quoted $1500. 
Sounds like a deal- right? :nervous:
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 21 queries.