Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Air pressure in tires, whats the consensus? 1 up & 2 up riding  (Read 12890 times)

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick

Just curious, everyone seems to run different air pressure in their tires, no one runs HD recommended for the tires?   I have an 11 CVORGU, I ride single, 32lbs in the front tire and 35lbs in the rear?  Nice ride, no issues
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
Re: Air pressure in tires, whats the consensus? 1 up & 2 up riding
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 09:24:29 AM »

Using the Dunlops that are for my bike I use the pressure recommended in the Service Manual.  36 in the front and 40 in the rear for two up. 

I always figured that somebody with more experience on this problem worked it out, no reason to reinvent the wheel. 

Now if you are using Avons or Metzlers the pressure is different.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 09:26:31 AM »

Just curious, everyone seems to run different air pressure in their tires, no one runs HD recommended for the tires?   I have an 11 CVORGU, I ride single, 32lbs in the front tire and 35lbs in the rear?  Nice ride, no issues

:confused5:    What does your owner's manual call for?  That is the MINIMUM recommended pressure, based on things like load rating, heat resistance (low pressure allows more flexing which creates more heat), stability, etc.  I would never recommend running less than the factory recommended pressure.

As I said, the book gives you the minimum pressure.  The sidewall of the tire tells you the maximum pressure.  If you want to run something other than what your manual calls for, I suggest splitting the difference between the manual number and the sidewall number.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Rat Patrol

• 2013 CVO Road King
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 11:22:45 AM »

On my Ducati 1198 I run 30 front and 28 rear = 400 lb motorcycle.
On my Ducati Multistrada I run 32 front and 30 rear = 500 lb motorcycle
On my 2013 CVO RK I run 38 front and 36 rear = 840 lb motorcycle

The dealer had it set at 34 front and rear.

I have raced dirt bikes, Sprint cars, Viper, Drag cars and have used pressures from 4 to 60 lbs so I am not afraid to adjust the air to suit handling or ride.
Factory recommended pressures are, IMO, a generic starting point. If you have a pickup truck and are running the same "recommended" pressures front and rear, you have not thought about weight bias. And no, I do not recommend dropping to 4 lbs, only a nut case sprint car pilot would do that. :nixweiss:
International Heat & Frost Insulators
Working Class: The class that built America

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 11:48:08 AM »

I run the standard Dunlops on my 07 40-40

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 11:57:19 AM »

Here is what I have learned from running TPM on my 2 bikes.  (TPM - Tire Pressure Monitor)  Meltzer's and Michelin's.

06 CVO Ultra, Metzler 880 tires.  I ran them at Meltzer's recommendation, max pressure cold.  So 40F & 40R.  On the road the front heats up and the pressure climbs to about 44lbs consistently and the front wears very nice without any issues.  
The rear however will climb all the way to 54lbs.  I have had multiple Metzler rear tires fail with chunks coming off the tire.  I have been told I was running the tires low on pressure, thus the TPM installed so I could see. (last failure picture attached)
Metzler says it can't get to 54lbs, max will be a 10% gain in pressure max with temperature (4lbs).  So much for what they know, they just will not own up to the fact their tires come apart and it is caused by too much pressure, not to little pressure.

I just put new tires on the 06, this time I put on Michelins.  Very interesting, I started off again at 40 F/R, the front goes up to about 42 and the rear has never gone over 46, significant difference in how heat affects the tires.  On top of this the AZ temps have gone up and the Michelins still are staying in that pressure range.  I have backed the cold pressure down to 38R so that I run at about 44 in the rear now hot.  I only have about 700 miles on the Michelins so time will tell how they do.

09 Ultra, I also have Metzler 880's on it.  Now Metzler again says run max pressure for good tire wear.  Ok, these tires say 50lbs for the rear.  So I started off at 50bs, well the tire goes to 66lbs hot and it's like riding on a rock.  Again Metzler says it can't gain that much pressure, oh well....   So I have worked towards the goal of 52lb, hot riding pressure in the rear.

To get there I run 40F and 42 to 44R cold (depending on time of year and AZ temps) and that pretty much gets me 44F and 53R hot.  I have about 8k miles on these tires at this point and they are wearing very nicely.

I don't have any data on the Dunlop's, I was not running a TPM when I had them.  When I ran the original Dunlop's on the 09 I ran 38F/40R and other than the typical Dunlop cupping I got 12k out of the rear tire and only changed it because I wanted a new tire for a trip, it sill was not at the wear bars.

What this tells me is that the manufacturer knows where the tire goes hot and puts the max pressure on the side wall that will deliver a safe range for wear and safety when hot.  Although I really question what is going on with Metzler.  The rep I spoke with basically told me he didn't care what the TPM said, the tire couldn't do that.  And they would not do anything with the tire because I had gotten close to the max usable life from it, although it came apart and it was not at the wear bars.

By the way, I have a separate TPM on each bike so it isn't like the TPM is wacked out and they both tell the same story with the Metzlers.

Anyway, hope this my help some  
Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

CVOMOE!!

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • BC

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 12:27:54 PM »

I always use 40 rear and 38 front.

Cheers, Moe
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Banana - Sold
Freedom Tru-duals
Power Commander
Dyno tuned
Now a 107" with Cycle Shack exhaust and Race Tuner
2007 BMW1200GS - What a hoot - Sold May 2010
2011 Triumph Tiger 800 - Sold
2011 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
2009 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere - Sold
2014 Yamaha XT250 - Sold
2014 BMW F800GS - Sold
2014 Kawasaki KLX 351
2017 Triumph Explorer 1200
2017 Harley Ultra Classic Ltd

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 12:56:52 PM »

On the '11 SERGU, the recommended pressures are 40 Rear and 36 Front, regardless of load.

IMO, on that particular bike, and considering that the stock tire has a higher wear rating for the center of the tire than the other areas of the tire, I'd run 36/40 as recommended.  With 9K on my bike before I sold it, the tires has PLENTY of tread depth left...I think the bike would have easily gotten 14K on the rear.  My '06 SEUC was doing good to get 6K on the rear, regardless of brand.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 02:18:47 PM »

On my 06 40/40 has worked out great.  Get super tire milage out of Harley Dunlap tires.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 04:49:41 PM »

Can't help but be amused sometimes with the (at least claimed) dedication to nuts on tire pressures given the old pencil gauges that are still so commonly used.  A little variance from gauge to gauge is the norm.  Quite a few use something else.  Maybe even better.  But many of us don't give it a thought.

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 05:14:27 PM »

Can't help but be amused sometimes with the (at least claimed) dedication to nuts on tire pressures given the old pencil gauges that are still so commonly used.  A little variance from gauge to gauge is the norm.  Quite a few use something else.  Maybe even better.  But many of us don't give it a thought.

I leaving for the Ozarks tomorrow, thats the only reason I gave it a thought.  Bike rides fine, handles fine, never had any issue with tire wear, always got 12K-14K out of a set.  I read pictures not instructions, or ask questions  :2vrolijk_21:    I always ran my tires like car tires 32lbs or so and never had issues.  I guess I will go to 36 front & 40 rear before I leave, seems to be a consensus.   Curious to see if I feel a difference?
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 05:32:18 PM »

I leaving for the Ozarks tomorrow, thats the only reason I gave it a thought.  Bike rides fine, handles fine, never had any issue with tire wear, always got 12K-14K out of a set.  I read pictures not instructions, or ask questions  :2vrolijk_21:    I always ran my tires like car tires 32lbs or so and never had issues.  I guess I will go to 36 front & 40 rear before I leave, seems to be a consensus.   Curious to see if I feel a difference?

Have fun on your trip.  Hope the weather that's been hitting the Ozarks so regularly lately clears and you've got blue skies and smiles. 

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 07:15:21 PM »

Have fun on your trip.  Hope the weather that's been hitting the Ozarks so regularly lately clears and you've got blue skies and smiles. 

Was thinking the same thing....  Stay safe and keep an eye on the skies!   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 09:27:59 PM »

38/42 here.  Rear goes to 44 when I'm carrying a passenger.
The best you've had is the best you know.

BALIS

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 10:49:51 AM »

36 front and 40 rear solo or 2 up.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 21 queries.