Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Author Topic: 2013 Exhaust recommendations - Loudness and Performance?  (Read 20851 times)

mightywarlock

• Junior CVO Member
2013 Exhaust recommendations - Loudness and Performance?
« on: June 05, 2013, 03:35:38 PM »

So asking for recommendations for pipes is pretty overdone, but it seems like most of you guys like your pipes quiet, with a deep low rumble, as apposed to a louder bark.
(I've seen videos of the Jackpot and Fulsac's and they do not appear to be quite as loud as other pipes I have heard).

I am used to having Vance and Hines Big Shot Duals on my last bike ('07 Ultra) and before that, Big Shot Staggereds ('05 Wide Glide).

So I like my pipes loud, with more of a top end bark when you get on the bikes, to warn people away from me when they are coming into my lane.

What I am wondering, for my '13 CVO Ultra,
is there a pipe out there that offers better performance than the Big Shot Duals, but also gives me the louder pipes as well?  I don't mind changing the tone a little bit, but it is really important I don't loose my "warning system" out here in L.A.  Also could be interested in a 2>1>2 system, but not sure about the X look...The VH Power chamber looks a little silly. Also, not interested in any 2>1 only pipes (unless they have a falsie pipe, i suppose, like the Thunderheader).  more interested in the pipes that Do Not have that dip in the regular riding area of 2000>3000 rpm.

Anyone?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 04:02:09 PM by mightywarlock »

Tailing loop

Re: 2013 Exhaust recommendations - Loudness and Performance?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 10:22:44 PM »

I just got done putting on the V&H headers and pipes with the 2-1-2 set up and put the V&H High Output slip-ons. Did the thousand mile service and got Dyno Tuned. WOW! What a difference! This set up sounds great! Low deep rumble but loud when you get into it. Definately not quiet. But just low enough in volume that you wont get pulled over i. Areas where sound ordinances are enforced, if you take it easy. You can certainly let the cagers know your there when you want to. And the High output slip ons look awesome. My numbers after the dyno-tune came out at; 96.25 hp $ 116.5 ft lbs of torque. Sounds and drives like a different machine. I have the 2013 CVO Road glide custom in atomic orange/ galaxy grey. 

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 10:37:17 PM »

Drago's Dragula or SCS 4.  They will darn sure hear you and the bike will run great.  Yes, they have a ghost pipe.

Cowboy
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 11:04:32 AM »

Fullsac X "D" header pipe with Fullsac 2.25" cores.  TTS Mastertune with Steve's (Fullsac) map for the ECM.  Uses the stock heat shields and muffler cans, so the bike still looks stock and the cans still have the EPA stamping on them.  Proven system and used by hundreds of folks here on this site.

If you do the work yourself (about 4 hours, max), have a laptop, and can follow directions, the total cost will be <$1100.  By FAR the least expensive way to get better sound and overall performance. Then, if you are not happy with the sound, you can always change to different slip on mufflers and sell the 2.25" baffles here on line...or both the stock mufflers and tips.

You will get an honest 10-15% increase in both HP and TQ that you can feel by the seat of your pants, better throttle response, the ability to calibrate your speedometer, and the ability to save your stock ECM program for future use, if needed. If you have a basic set of tools in your garage and some basic mechanical ability, it's a no brainer.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 11:36:04 AM »

X2 on the Fullsac Stage 1 Kit.
DND

Thermodyne

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 12:04:52 PM »

I'm running a Jackpot with a set of American Custom guts.  Mid tone baffles with some minor reworking.  Tried them when the scooter was stock, and they didn't help it at all.  Sounded like crap and popped a lot.  But after doing the cams and putting a tuner on it, they work well and sound great.  The plan was to move to better mufflers sometime down the road, but now I don't see any need for it.

CVCVORG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE BLUE
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 07:45:06 PM »

Bassani and Rhinehart have been the loudest in pure db tests

Hog95023

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 10:02:31 PM »

My fatcat sounded loud according to my wife and dad who rides next to me. I have a borezilla on my bike now and it doesn't seem that loud. I can har my radio at highway speeds

crackers

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 02:35:50 PM »

x3 on Fullsac

Fullsac "D" pipe
4" Rineharts
Heads by Jack Larson
Diamond cut
TTS Tuner
Progressive 944's and Progressive Monotubes

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 05:34:15 PM »

x4 on the fullsac set up

I have it on my 13 CVO King, had it on my 09 CVO road glide.

I went with Jackpot head pipe and Jackpot 4.5 pro tour mufflers on the 12 CVO road glide.  Its nice but not worth the extra 400 dollars which is why I went back to fullac on the 13.  I have both the 12 CVO road glide and 13 CVO King.

Just did the fullsac set up on my wife 13 Street Glide, using CVO mufflers with the 2.25 baffles and head pipe from Fullsac
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

emxgarcia

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 08:48:04 PM »

Try Akrapovic 2 into 1, those guys don't play games

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 10:20:11 AM »

Want loud, huh?
how about thunderheader?
 :nixweiss:
HOGMIKE

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 11:41:55 AM »

If you like loud, stay away from Fullsac.  But, they do make power ..... quiet power. 8)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4

CalmSeasQuest

• 2013 SERK #254/900
    • MI

• CVO1: 2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust / Obsidian
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 12:59:45 PM »

I went with Bassani RRII with the ghost pipe.  It's not much louder than stock when creeping through the neighborhood, but it has a great low growl and  barks nicely when you get on it to alert the surrounding cages of your presence. Can't speak to Dyno yet as I haven't got 1000 miles on it yet.
-Tom

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 01:41:09 PM »

The times are not "a changing;" they have changed, especially in California.  Opinion?  Sorry, no.  Consider:  Vance & Hines fined $500,000 for sales of illegal aftermarket motorcycle exhaust.

Also remember that California is desperate for money. Thus:  SB 435 is now law,  Vehicle Code section 27202.1.  The law simply makes it a separate state offense to violate the existing federal law. Why? To collect revenue of course.  As originally written, the bill would have required annual motorcycle inspections. That would have created a whole new bureaucracy and cost the state money. That's why that portion of the bill was eliminated.

California is also cracking down on loud pipes. There is no evidence that loud pipes save lives.  There is a great deal of evidence that loud pipes are obnoxious.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2013, 03:35:36 PM »

The times are not "a changing;" they have changed, especially in California.  Opinion?  Sorry, no.  Consider:  Vance & Hines fined $500,000 for sales of illegal aftermarket motorcycle exhaust.

Also remember that California is desperate for money. Thus:  SB 435 is now law,  Vehicle Code section 27202.1.  The law simply makes it a separate state offense to violate the existing federal law. Why? To collect revenue of course.  As originally written, the bill would have required annual motorcycle inspections. That would have created a whole new bureaucracy and cost the state money. That's why that portion of the bill was eliminated.

California is also cracking down on loud pipes. There is no evidence that loud pipes save lives.  There is a great deal of evidence that loud pipes are obnoxious.

:2vrolijk_21:
HOGMIKE

mightywarlock

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2013, 10:34:58 AM »

From the major amount of times i have had drivers not looking and/or not paying attention try to Take my lane on our absolutely crazy freeways here in California, I totally and respectfully disagree with your soapbox comments.

One Rap on the pipes has saved me more times than I could count, as I ride the 2 worst freeways in the entire world, the 405 and the 101.

So thank you, but no thanks.  I will have my Loud Pipes, and I'm certain they will save my life once again as they have in the past from our cell phone yakkin' car and SUV drivers in a rush to somewhere.

Please keep posts to actual helpful answers.

Seems everyone likes the Fulsac setup here, i just wonder if they will have the Bark tone that I like?

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2013, 02:08:06 PM »

From the major amount of times i have had drivers not looking and/or not paying attention try to Take my lane on our absolutely crazy freeways here in California, I totally and respectfully disagree with your soapbox comments.

One Rap on the pipes has saved me more times than I could count, as I ride the 2 worst freeways in the entire world, the 405 and the 101.

So thank you, but no thanks.  I will have my Loud Pipes, and I'm certain they will save my life once again as they have in the past from our cell phone yakkin' car and SUV drivers in a rush to somewhere.

Please keep posts to actual helpful answers.

Seems everyone likes the Fulsac setup here, i just wonder if they will have the Bark tone that I like?

Given where you ride and what your expectations are I doubt the Fullsac setup will be what you want.
I also ride some of the same freeways you do and usually do the HOV lanes when I can.
Never really had a problem except for traffic back ups.
So.....if your question is what LOUD PIPES should you get? Like some have said: T.H. RB Racing, Rhineharts, etc etc. pick what YOU like best and have at 'em.

JMHO, of course.
HOGMIKE

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2013, 02:25:57 PM »

Mr. Warlock,

One cannot "respectfully disagree" with someone and then dis them.   :huepfenlol2:   BTW, that's what forums are for:  no, not dissing, to learn.  If we did not have differing thoughts and opinions, what would we learn?  I assume you admit the CARB fine assessed against V&H and CA Vehicle Code 27202.1 (they are the law, after all) and limit your disagreement to your position on loud pipes.  

If, "loud pipes save lives," why are not all those sport bike, Honda, BMW, etc. riders already dead?   :hanged:  For reference, I have the 2" Fullsac cores with HD packing.  I went this rout because it works, is cost effective and I knew that then CA SB 435 would become law.  My SERG is louder than stock but not so loud that on the Ventura (101) or San Diego (405) Freeways which I ride frequently that anyone is going to move out of my way or that I get stopped by the PD.  Both are difficult rides, especially with the 405 construction.  My experience is that by placing myself in a driver's line of sight (in the driver's mirrors) most move to let me pass.  This has improved with my LED headlights.  Twice in years past while riding my Titan which I admit is obnoxiously loud (S&S 112" & Thunderheader) I've had drivers change lanes into me where I had to rap their passenger side window with my fist.  So, I do understand your frustration but an after market horn such as a Mini Blaster would do a far better job than loud pipes.  BTW, the Thunderheader is well-named.   :coolblue:  I have not had the problem in years; hopefully because I am a better rider.

A multitude of studies show that loud pipes not only do not save lives but that the concept is a myth.  Here is but one analysis in Autoevolution.com: Most Common Motorcycle Myths Debunked.  One excerpt: Motorcycle exhausts openings are facing towards the rear of the bike, and it's obviously to the back where the gases and all the noise are directed. Assuming that the noise a motorcycle makes travels in an omnidirectional manner is just wrong, because noise is air (or other gases, for what's worth) in movement. With the air/ gas jest directed towards the rear of the bike, it's there where all the noise goes. And if you don't believe this, just 'start your engine in the open and then check the noise levels when facing the bike and behind it, alternatively.

When riding at higher speeds, things are even worse, because you're not only remaining close to the place where all the exhaust gases start to make noise hitting the mass of air, but you're traveling further from that zone as you advance on the road.

Now, having established that pipes generate a lot more noise behind the bike than in front of it, claiming that loud(er) pipes would help getting you noticed by the man driving the car in front sounds just silly. A loud exhaust pipe could come in handy when splitting the lanes at low speed, letting the drivers in front of you know “something is approaching” and maybe preventing them from cutting you off or opening the doors. Analyzing the crash reports, statistics indicate that around 77% of the hazards come in front of the biker, and only 3% approach from behind. What's next, front-facing exhausts?

This excerpt may save some lives:  Finally, it's the simple fact that a louder pipe is by no means a proactive or primary safety measure, but a secondary one. Again, learning how to ride well (throttle, turn, brake and so on) and keeping a close eye to the traffic around you are essential to making it home safely.
The first rule of avoiding a crash is not placing yourself in a critical traffic situation, and this means riding carefully and being able to detect the potential hazards early. It's always easier to avoid a nasty situation than to find a safe exit from one.

How many times have you heard about the public upset at loud pipes, especially when they use them to frighten them?  Pissing off the public will only lead to more anti-motorcycle laws!  Consider this recent article in Forbes, Deafened by Hogs: Motorcycle Noise and the Environment.  The public thinks loud motorcycle riders are obnoxious idiots fueling activist organizations such as NoiseOff and Noise Free America campaigning for more laws and more enforcement.  The great majority of Legislators and voters do not ride and many are biased against bikes.  So, loud pipes are self-defeating.  

So here's the soapbox   :soapbox:   Loud pipes are a bad idea. They do nothing for your safety, give a false sense of security, and annoy the people around you, negatively affecting the public perception of motorcyclists. If you're concerned about safety, take a rider training course, get a louder horn and a set of bright, reflective protective gear, and don't propagate the "loud pipes save lives" myth.

GK

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2013, 02:32:05 PM »

Have you ever considered a really loud horn to get those other folk's attention, as opposed to irritating everyone all the time with loud pipes?  I know, it's more fun to be obnoxious and thumb your nose at those around you.  But thanks to those with attitudes like yours, many places face more and more restrictive noise laws for motorcycles these days, and I won't be surprised to see that trend continue and expand. 

JHMO of course  -  Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2013, 02:34:54 PM »

RB Racing are the loudest I have heard...there you have it...get what you want and be judged.. :huepfenlol2:

May as well go to 124 cubes..more displacement more noise...

Disclosure: now I am just being a wise ass and not adding to the thread... :P

CVO Brian

• Full CVO Member
  • Baggers- Not just for grandpa anymore

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra Orange and Black
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2013, 02:39:54 PM »

The man just asked for recommendations on LOUD pipes. Fullsac, Fullsac , fullsac.. Again he wants loud. Yes, we all agree Fullsac is a good inexspensive stage 1 system. LOUD IT IS NOT !!  V&H Head Pipe and one of the following will give you loud and I dont care what anyone on this or any other forum sais , you will not feel any power loss in the seat of your pants using any of these slip ons with your VH Head Pipe.

CFR
Rhinehart
Thunderheader just to name a few. I run Rhineharts on my CVO and love the sound but the CFR's sound better and louder to me than anything I have heard when you get on it.

And I'm with you on Loud Pipes save lives, Anytime I get next to a Blue hair who I know can't see me, I pull in that clutch and hit that throttle and they wake right up.
V&H True Duals
Rinehart 4" Chrome Pipes
Trucklite ph 7 w/ passing lamps
Pollished front rotors
SE Race Tuner
SE Chisel Air Cleaner
Wild1 Chubby 578 10" Bars
TP Removal System
CVO SG Stretch Bags and Rear Fender
CVO SG 110 Derby Cover

mightywarlock

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2013, 06:32:42 PM »

It's not just about loudness.

Also want performance, and great performance in the 2000>3500 range.

Thanks for the suggestions.

CVO Brian

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2013, 07:07:26 PM »

you'll get plenty of performance with any of those combo's and a good tune brother.
V&H True Duals
Rinehart 4" Chrome Pipes
Pollished front rotors
SE Race Tuner
SE Chisel Air Cleaner
TP Removal System
CVO SG 110 Derby Cover

tweeter13

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2013, 01:28:37 AM »

I like the sound of a loud pipe on someone else's bike not mine.   Gives me a head ache after a few min of riding.  Can't hear the radio.  And bothers me when I am trying to text ...   Lol.   

Todd
18 Monsterbrite led lights
Fullsac DX head pipe
Fullsac 2.25 baffles
TTS master-tune
George Anderson tourpac relocator

Bigfoot16

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic SE
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2013, 07:22:17 PM »

I just put Vance and Hines X pipe and RC components mufflers on my Ultra... I like the way it sounds and performs..
[img] C:\Users\Steve\Pictures\dragon.png

simpletruth

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2013, 05:37:29 AM »

Just put on Fullsac Dx Pipe, with Supertrapp Kerker Stouts, on my 2013 CVO Road Glide. A friend of mine has 2012 CVO Road Glide, with the Vance Hines Power Duals, and the Vance Hines High Outputs slip ons. They almost sound the same, except the Kerkers seem to have a deeper tone, and are a  louder when you open the throttle. Took the bike to the dealer to to get a Screaming Eagle Super Tuner, and Dyno. Before bike was put on  Dyno sales guy wanted to hear the Kerker Stouts. He, and a couple of service guys realey liked the sound of the Kerkers with the Fulsac DX pipes. Maybe this was all because they always hear the Vance Hines because thats what they sell. After bike was dynode the tech said that it was his personel best, as far as numbers go, with just exhaust changes. ( 96.05 HP, 117.68 Torque). He liked the sound of the Kerkers, but was really impressed with the Fullsac pipes, which he attriputed the good numbers to.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 05:40:30 AM by simpletruth »
Fullsac DX Pipe
Super Trapp Kerker Stouts
Screaming Eagle Super Tuner

cvoDoug

• Junior CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2004 CVO Electra Glide
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2013, 08:46:12 AM »

ThunderHeader and a GOOD tune.  As long as you don't have a fist full of throttle it's calm. Twist the wick and it'll let the next town know you're on a putt.  It give you nice low end torque and a smooth curve on the way up..this a seat of the pants evaluation and not a dyno tune sheet spec.  It's the only pipe I'll run.  Looks wise you either love them or hate them. Me, I prefer the performance and the sound.  It's unique and if you're in an area where everyone is not running them you'll stand out.  I had a (ahem) friend that said she knew it was me from a mile away....could have been the smell... :nixweiss:  Either way, make it yours and ride.  My biggest recommendation regardless of what pipe you choose to go with, find a good legitimate tuner.  Research rules in this department.  That's my nickel's worth..(damn inflation, it used to be 2 cents)

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2013, 10:22:15 AM »

So asking for recommendations for pipes is pretty overdone, but it seems like most of you guys like your pipes quiet, with a deep low rumble, as apposed to a louder bark.
(I've seen videos of the Jackpot and Fulsac's and they do not appear to be quite as loud as other pipes I have heard).

I am used to having Vance and Hines Big Shot Duals on my last bike ('07 Ultra) and before that, Big Shot Staggereds ('05 Wide Glide).

So I like my pipes loud, with more of a top end bark when you get on the bikes, to warn people away from me when they are coming into my lane.

What I am wondering, for my '13 CVO Ultra,
is there a pipe out there that offers better performance than the Big Shot Duals, but also gives me the louder pipes as well?  I don't mind changing the tone a little bit, but it is really important I don't loose my "warning system" out here in L.A.  Also could be interested in a 2>1>2 system, but not sure about the X look...The VH Power chamber looks a little silly. Also, not interested in any 2>1 only pipes (unless they have a falsie pipe, i suppose, like the Thunderheader).  more interested in the pipes that Do Not have that dip in the regular riding area of 2000>3000 rpm.

Anyone?

My turn!

Fullsac DX Pipe, 2.25 SD cores, no packing in the mufflers. Still make good power and bleeding ears at full throttle.
For me personally, these are way too loud and I do use earplugs when I test ride this combo. Yes, there are certainly other choices that are even louder,
but you did mention performance was also important. JMHO from having actually dynoed and ridden this combo numerous times.

All clear, let the mud fly!

Steve
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

BDMastiff

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2013, 10:48:44 AM »

Hey Warlock.

I remember you from HCG ( I can't remember my old user name).  I have an RB Racing pipe on my 2013 CVO Road Glide (LSR PRO STOCK).  It makes great power and it sounds like a motorcycle should. I just got back from The Redwood Run and I literally got dozens of positive comments about my pipe.  I recommend that you check into it.  Also, they're located in So Cal and, as I recall, you are from So. Cal too.   Are you still doing your Tour of the Twisties?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 11:08:03 AM by Puff-N-Stuff »

mightywarlock

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2013, 12:11:38 AM »

Haven't done that route in a few years.  Last 2 times I put it on, I had people crash/drop their bikes...and I felt it was overdone with the same route (whether forwards or backwards), so took it off the calendar.  Riding the same roads over and over again got old for me, and it is a ride that needs to be timed properly (due to heat, and the chance for wildfires), and just haven't figured out when to do it again.

It will return, but I have been putting on a lot of rides for the local HOG chapter (Glendale for me), and lots of other rides...(see those videos I posted in the ride report section).  And when it does return, it will be just as awesome as it used to be, with even more new roads and such.

I'll let you know when another one comes to pass.

You can check out the old routes at
www.tourofthetwisties.com

BDMastiff

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2013, 08:43:27 AM »

Thanks M.W.  Please let me know if you do another ride; I'd be interested in attending.

Boss429

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2013, 03:32:02 PM »

I'm looking for exhaust for my CVO Breakout. Had V&H Big Shots on my '06 Springer and loved them. Anybody know if they will make them for the Breakout? Also what about Freedom Performance exhaust,they any good quality wise?
Boss 429
63 galaxie R-Code
06 Springer
13 breakout
61 Ranchero

100HP

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2013, 11:25:21 PM »

Easy to find out, Call them and ask...

CVCVORG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE BLUE
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2013, 06:49:37 PM »

:jack:

Breakout?????

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2013, 08:31:23 PM »

My turn!

Fullsac DX Pipe, 2.25 SD cores, no packing in the mufflers. Still make good power and bleeding ears at full throttle.
For me personally, these are way too loud and I do use earplugs when I test ride this combo. Yes, there are certainly other choices that are even louder,
but you did mention performance was also important. JMHO from having actually dynoed and ridden this combo numerous times.

All clear, let the mud fly!

Steve

I finally ended up with the Fullsac X-Pipe and Kerker Stouts.  I am very happy with my choice.  You can go on You Tube, Yaffe has a great sound clip promoting the muffler plus Supertrapp/Kerker has a long standing history of quality and performance.  I had Kerkers on my 1977 Kawasiki 900 Limited,  loved em then too!
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

DtyHarry

• Junior CVO Member
  • Enjoy every day as if it's the last one...
    • CA
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2013, 01:55:41 PM »

I listened to a sound clip - 110 CVO with V&H power duals and Reinhart 4" slip-ons...  Exact sound I'm looking for.  Do you think the Fullsac DX pipe with the same slip-ons would sound comparable?

Harry
2013 CVO RG, Anniv Ed; Ohlin 159s; Race Tech Gold Emulators; Danny Grey weekday 2 up; 10" Black Chubby Apes; Fullsac DX Pipe; V&H OS 450s; chopped tour pack; TTS Mastertune; Zumo 665; Focal 165 speakers;

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2013, 10:24:40 AM »

I listened to a sound clip - 110 CVO with V&H power duals and Reinhart 4" slip-ons...  Exact sound I'm looking for.  Do you think the Fullsac DX pipe with the same slip-ons would sound comparable?

Harry
Sound clips an be real deceiving. With the same mufflers, True duals will always be louder than an X Pipe. Quite a bit slower too if that matters.

Steve

DtyHarry

• Junior CVO Member
    • CA
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2013, 10:33:18 AM »

Right, but isn't your X Pipe the same design as  the V&H power duals- ie, 2:1:2? Seems odd your pipe cost more when V&H "includes" chrome heat shields as well...
2013 CVO RG, Anniv Ed; Ohlin 159s; Race Tech Gold Emulators; Danny Grey weekday 2 up; 10" Black Chubby Apes; Fullsac DX Pipe; V&H OS 450s; chopped tour pack; TTS Mastertune; Zumo 665; Focal 165 speakers;

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2013, 10:35:04 AM »

Right, but isn't your X Pipe the same design as  the V&H power duals- ie, 2:1:2? Seems odd your pipe cost more when V&H "includes" chrome heat shields as well...

My Bad. Thought you were referencing True duals. Yes, they would sound virtually identical. Cost difference is Hand built tig welded ceramic coated VS
stamped collector mig welded. Volume too, I'm sure they sell about thousand to one over us. Ask them for a fuel map and see how that works.. Lol.

Steve
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 10:42:08 AM by Fullsac Perf »

DtyHarry

• Junior CVO Member
    • CA
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2013, 03:15:24 PM »

Thanks Steve- your pipes have any "warranty"?  Still offering 10% discount to CVO members?

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2013, 03:22:43 PM »

Thanks Steve- your pipes have any "warranty"?  Still offering 10% discount to CVO members?

10% discount to members. 5 year warranty to original purchaser.

Steve

hogwild11

• Screamin' Eagle
  • Riding Free and loving every minute of it!!!
    • AL

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO3: 2015 FLHTKSE
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2013, 11:42:31 PM »

I've got the CUSE8 Anniversary Edition and I'm thinking of adding V&H Power Duals (P/N: 16849) with 4" Rinehart slip-ons.  I heard this combo on another bike and it provides the deep sound that I'm looking for.  It's only loud when you want it to be, and with the cats removed, I expect a cooler ride with a little more power.  Comments?
V&H Power Duals
Rinehart Exhaust
Rumbling Pride LED

CVO Brian

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2013, 10:09:16 AM »

Hogwild, I run True Duals or otherwise known as Dresser Dual with the 4" Rhineharts and Love the sound and Performance.My buddy has your set up and it seems a little quieter than mine until he gets on it, it is a little deeper roar. I think you will be happy either way. And yes, that with a tune will cool that rear cylinder pipe considerably
V&H True Duals
Rinehart 4" Chrome Pipes
Pollished front rotors
SE Race Tuner
SE Chisel Air Cleaner
TP Removal System
CVO SG 110 Derby Cover

hogwild11

• Screamin' Eagle
  • Riding Free and loving every minute of it!!!
    • AL

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO3: 2015 FLHTKSE
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2013, 12:47:00 AM »

Oh, did you say TUNE?  I was hoping it wouldn't come to that.  I noticed your list of accessories include a special tuner.  Which one would you recommend for mine?  Thanks for your feedback. 
V&H Power Duals
Rinehart Exhaust
Rumbling Pride LED

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2013, 10:57:06 AM »

Oh, did you say TUNE?  I was hoping it wouldn't come to that.  I noticed your list of accessories include a special tuner.  Which one would you recommend for mine?  Thanks for your feedback. 

You cannot change out the entire exhaust system WITHOUT modifying the tune in the ECM...unless you want to burn your engine up from running it so lean it melts down (not literally, but it will do damage). You can put slip on mufflers on the stock header pipe and not have to tune, though the bike can benefit from a good tune, regardless.  But if you change the header pipe, thus removing the CAT, you MUST. The SE Tuner is not "special", but merely one tool that is available to properly tune your bike after changes to the exhaust system, or other changes.

The very first thing you need to do is find a REPUTABLE tuner...that does NOT mean your local HD dealership.  Just owning a Dyno does not mean the person operating it is qualified to do so.  Talk to the tuner you find and see what product he prefers to use.

Or, you can order the header pipe, cores of your choice, and TTS tuner from Fullsac...all for under $1100...and use the provided map.  You will very likely not have to do another thing to the bike regarding tuning.  Your choice. 

Of this I am 100% sure:  Vance and Hines will NOT be able to provide a map for their exhaust system, so if you go that route, be prepared to find a good tuner and spend an additional $300 for Dyno time.  Do NOT let V&H tell you that their Fuelpak "tuner" will do the job...it is a total waste of money.

TTS Mastertune

DtyHarry

• Junior CVO Member
    • CA
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2013, 11:02:29 AM »

Good Advice, you seem to know a lot about this.  What do you think about the Zipper-Thundermax - my mechanic says this is the best way to go and no dyno tune is required??

CVO Brian

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2013, 11:15:34 AM »

Tuner is a must when you change exhaust system or the bike will not perform to its capacity. Myself, I use the Harley Screamin Eagle Race Tuner. TTS is also one I would use and others here swear by. do it right the first time brother you will not regret it.
Now with that being said, there are canned tunes ( maps ) that are plug and play but they often fail in my experience.
V&H True Duals
Rinehart 4" Chrome Pipes
Pollished front rotors
SE Race Tuner
SE Chisel Air Cleaner
TP Removal System
CVO SG 110 Derby Cover

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2013, 11:40:29 AM »

Good Advice, you seem to know a lot about this.  What do you think about the Zipper-Thundermax - my mechanic says this is the best way to go and no dyno tune is required??

There are others here who are much more knowledgeable than me on this subject matter.  I know what has worked for ME and several others I know personally.  I have no vested interest in one product over another, but I like to keep things as simple as possible and go with what I KNOW works and will require the least amount of work and be the most cost effective.  For me (and for a whole bunch of other people) that is the Fullsac exhaust, TTS, and the map provided from Fullsac.  My bike required no other tuning...could I have squeezed another little bit out of it by going to a Dyno?  Perhaps.  Is 2 more ft lbs of TQ worth $300 to me? No.  If I had what I KNOW to be a great tuner close by, yes, I might have taken the bike to him/her and had it tweaked a bit, but my bike ran perfectly fine with the "canned" map.  I do not subscribe to the old school of thought that "every HD engine is different and requires it's own "special" tune."  Modern manufacturing technology produces engines that are 95% identical, even on an engine design that is basically 50 years old.  There are, of course, exceptions to every rule.  So I did the exhaust change, TTS download/upload on my bike myself and could not have been happier.  I spent $1100 on the whole thing.  Then I spent $3000 on suspension upgrades because I would rather have a bike that handles well than one that will beat bike X in a drag race.  I don't drag race my bike, but I can ride with almost anyone everywhere else and won't be left behind for lack of engine performance.

For me, a T-Max would be my LAST choice for a number of reasons that I won't get into a pissing contest over.  I simply do not believe the hype, and I know for a fact that their customer support is not the best in the world.  Plus, I am of the school of thought that I do not want to pull out a perfectly functioning ECM and replace it with an aftermarket piece for several other reasons.

TTS Mastertune

DtyHarry

• Junior CVO Member
    • CA
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2013, 11:47:24 AM »

Thanks, good advice.

ftmyerscobra

• Full CVO Member
  • Ride it like you stole it!

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 ANV
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2013, 12:40:23 PM »

D & D Fatcat I have more people chase me down to tell me that my bike sounds great then you can imagine .
SE EFI Super Tuner, D & D Slash Down 2-1 Fatcat, D & D Fatcat left Ghost Pipe
2008 Roadglide Annv
2012 Softail Slim

CVO Brian

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2013, 01:26:14 PM »

Couldn't agree more on T-max. Seen many pulled out and put on the shelf. Also DD Fat Cat does sound Bad A.....
As you see , you have several options. let me retract a bit on the " canned Tune " I would do this way before I would do T-Max or another ECM replacement Tune. Nothing Wrong with Canned tune for the bike and I also agree that they are all 95% Identical engines. Your bike will be plenty fast and have plenty of torque with the pipe and Tune. Spend your money on comfort , Bars, Suspension, Seat, etc...
V&H True Duals
Rinehart 4" Chrome Pipes
Pollished front rotors
SE Race Tuner
SE Chisel Air Cleaner
TP Removal System
CVO SG 110 Derby Cover

chiefs584ever

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2013, 01:04:33 PM »

I am taking delivery of a 13 CVO Ultra Classic on July 6th.  Dealer is putting Vance and Hines Dresser Duals on for head pipes to get rid of the flamethrower (cat).  My question is this.  Will a flash to the stock ECM be safe, or does it need a race tuner.  Appears to me that the 13 has already addressed the ECM with the high flow breather that comes stock on the bike.  Don't want to throw the money at the race tuner if it is not needed.  Planning on leaving the stock mufflers on for now.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2004 CVO Electra Glide (pumpkin)
2013 CVO Ultra Classic (tribal orange)
2005 Ultra Classic

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2013, 01:31:09 PM »

From my past experience, the Vance and Hines Dresser Duals will require a different tuner (TTS or SERT) and a dyno technician that really knows what they are doing.  The average run of the mill HD dealership dyno guy will struggle getting the bike dialed in with those pipes.  Another option is an auto tuner (Powervision), better than a poor dyno tech, not as good as a good dyno tech with a TTS.

Cowboy
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2013, 02:43:44 PM »

I am taking delivery of a 13 CVO Ultra Classic on July 6th.  Dealer is putting Vance and Hines Dresser Duals on for head pipes to get rid of the flamethrower (cat).  My question is this.  Will a flash to the stock ECM be safe, or does it need a race tuner.  Appears to me that the 13 has already addressed the ECM with the high flow breather that comes stock on the bike.  Don't want to throw the money at the race tuner if it is not needed.  Planning on leaving the stock mufflers on for now.

Thanks in advance for your help.

You may want to do a little more research before you settle for true duals. I know they sound good and look nice, but you lose a lot of torque with that set-up.  You will need a tuner with any pipe swap though due to the difference of a free flowing exhaust versus a restrictive stock with the cat, plenty of options for those too. It comes down to personal preference though so good luck with whatever you decide.

AZ Sparky

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 in Kryptonite/Black
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2013, 06:56:44 PM »

You cannot change out the entire exhaust system WITHOUT modifying the tune in the ECM...unless you want to burn your engine up from running it so lean it melts down (not literally, but it will do damage). You can put slip on mufflers on the stock header pipe and not have to tune, though the bike can benefit from a good tune, regardless.  But if you change the header pipe, thus removing the CAT, you MUST. The SE Tuner is not "special", but merely one tool that is available to properly tune your bike after changes to the exhaust system, or other changes.

The very first thing you need to do is find a REPUTABLE tuner...that does NOT mean your local HD dealership.  Just owning a Dyno does not mean the person operating it is qualified to do so.  Talk to the tuner you find and see what product he prefers to use.

Or, you can order the header pipe, cores of your choice, and TTS tuner from Fullsac...all for under $1100...and use the provided map.  You will very likely not have to do another thing to the bike regarding tuning.  Your choice.  

Of this I am 100% sure:  Vance and Hines will NOT be able to provide a map for their exhaust system, so if you go that route, be prepared to find a good tuner and spend an additional $300 for Dyno time.  Do NOT let V&H tell you that their Fuelpak "tuner" will do the job...it is a total waste of money.

100% spot on - you WILL need a tune when losing the Cat.  Getting rid of that Cat is the BIGGEST improvement you can make as well.  It affects both heat and sound.

Midnight Rider made a great suggestion concerning how to procede with your choice of pipes & cores, TTS, and maps from Steve.  You won't need a dyno with that - just hop on and ride after completing the install and tune.

My personal set-up is Fullsac pipe & baffles, TTS Master Tuner, and maps - all from Fullsac.  I've had no regrets since intalling this 2 years ago - that is regular riding year round (live in AZ) in temps all the way up to 120 (told you, I live in AZ).

Remember though - the choice is YOURS, all we can and should do is pass along our experience to try and help you out.  Its YOUR bike and money, not ours so YOU have to happy with it, not us.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 07:08:48 PM by AZ Sparky »
Sparky

chiefs584ever

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Re: 2013 Exhaust recommendations - Loudness and Performance?
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2013, 07:32:56 PM »

I thank you all for the advice.  Do not want to do any damage to the bike and I musr admit that there is a multitude of varying opinions.  I do not want to loose the fuel milage with an agressive tune.  Dont really care about peak numbers, just a cool flowing exhausr wirhout the cat and want thw bike to keep respectable mpg.  My 04 CVO Pumkin has a power commander and to be honest, the mpg stinks.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 2
2005 Ultra Classic

chiefs584ever

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2013, 07:34:57 PM »

Can I get the results I am looking for with an ECM flash on the stock unit rather than a complete new ecm retrofit with a race tuner?

2005 Ultra Classic

chiefs584ever

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2013, 07:37:27 PM »

@tinspinner.  I am looking at thw headpipes with the crossover.  Not true duals.  I have heard from multiple sources that the 110 likes the backpressure to run right.

2005 Ultra Classic

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2013, 08:34:51 AM »

I do not believe the ECM flash will do the trick, it has to be an EPA approved flash, there for it will not be much help, especially with non-epa approved head pipe.

Using something like TTS or the SEPT a good tuner will add more fuel making the bike a bit richer, and run a bit cooler.

I recommend Fullsac for a good head pipe that goes under the stock chrome heat shield, no cat.  Then the TTS tuner, and a map from Steve.

I did that to my 09 CVO Road Glide, my wifes 11 Street Glide.  Both those bikes are gone, to my wifes 13 Street glide, and none of these bikes lost any mpg, but ran cooler and had more power.

Running that same head pipe and tuner on my Built 13 CVO Road King, see signature for all the work.  MPG is as good as stock, unless I really ride it hard.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2013, 11:28:55 AM »

Can I get the results I am looking for with an ECM flash on the stock unit rather than a complete new ecm retrofit with a race tuner?

It's not like the old days when the dealer could flash the ECM for what HD considered a Stage 1 modification, which usually consisted of a SE Air Filter and SE mufflers mounted on the stock headpipe.  You could expect a reasonably close "tune" with that route.  All that ended after the '06 model year.  The PCIII was a good route to take back then, BUT there were a lot of so called "tuners" out there who used the PCIII that did not know WTF they were doing and you could get a tune that gave you 32 mpg.  A GOOD tuner on the PCIII could give you a good tune and still get mileage in the low 40's at speeds of 65mph or less.  80mph?  Mileage would drop down into the mid to high 30's.

To my knowledge, HD does not offer a "flash" for the ECM that would compensate for a change in headpipe, thus removal of the CAT...perhaps the Street Tuner would allow some changes, but all Street Tuner (as opposed to the Pro Race Tuner) calibrations would be EPA compliant (as mentioned).  No cigar.

All you have to do to flash the ECM in the new bikes with a device like the TTS or SEPRT is have the "dongle" and cables, a laptop, pull off the left side cover, hook the cable up to the data port connector, and load the map.  With the TTS and it's software, the FIRST step is to upload the Stock ECM map to your laptop's hard drive, a thumbdrive, a CD, or all three.  Then load the new map.  If you have a map provided by Fullsac for their setup, you're done.  You can then fine tune the map either by doing some data runs yourself or find a competent tuner IF you feel the provided map is not good enough for you.  The map I got from Fullsac with the header pipe, 2" cores, TTS, Cables was PLENTY good enough for my needs. You can even calibrate the inaccurate speedometer with the TTS software, if you want to.  The bike ran fine and driveability was vastly improved.  I did the work myself in my basement.  Spent <$1100, and it took me about 5 hours, taking my time and having about 3 beers.  If you have a decent socket set, some open end wrenches, a screwdriver or two, a Dremel tool or even a drill with a grinding bit, a laptop computer, and some basic mechanical/computer skills, it's a no brainer.  Somebody who changes exhaust systems all the time, like a good shop, could probably do it in 2 hours or so.  The bike appears bone stock but sounds and runs a LOT better.  Loudness depends on what cores you get...the 1.75" are the quietest, the 2" are moderate, and the 2.25" are the loudest.  But, even the 2.25" are not going to be obnoxiously loud.  The 2" were fine for me, and I actually would have been fine with the 1.75"...but, I'm done with loud pipes for a number of reasons.

If you decide to go with the SEPRT, then you'll need to find a competent tuner to get it right...although there are probably a few members here who might be able to help you out with a base map...and that does NOT mean most HD dealer "techs".  Some HD dealers have competent tuners, but they are the exception rather than the rule, IMO.

TTS Mastertune

chiefs584ever

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2013, 03:29:54 PM »

Thank you to all.  Called the dealer and told them to not install the Vance and Hines headpipe.  I think I will be going the route of Fullsac with the TTS tuner and some baffles.  Guess I will take some time to do some wrench work on the Handy lift. 
2005 Ultra Classic

ldireprophil

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Road Glide Custom Maple Metallic
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2013, 12:31:48 PM »

Performance & Loud?  Two words: FAT CAT. 
2012 CVO RGC / Renegade Lincoln Phantom 21-17 / RWD Fender / -2 Front -1 Rear / Bad Dad Side Covers / Andrews 54H Cams / HQ Black Ops Lifters / Heavy Breather / Cometic .030 HG / Barnett +1 Clutch / Aim 480lb Spring / ClutchWiz / Hayden M6 / D&D Fat Cat 2-1 w/UPB & Ghost Pipe / TTS MasterTune 2 / Wizard's Tune / Alpine CDE-HD149BT Head Unit / Alpine PDX-M6 Amp / Hertz HCX 690 / Hertz HSK 165 XL / Biketronics Module / Cycles Sounds Lids / Misc Little Things

Thundercloud

« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2013, 07:29:28 AM »

I wouldn't go to the Communist State to throw up, let alone live there!!!!!

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2013, 09:32:00 AM »

Performance & Loud?  Two words: FAT CAT. 

Performance vs. other 2-1 pipes is an endless debate, Phil... but I will vouch for the fact that your Fat Cat is indeed LOUD. It's even louder than my Drago's S/C/S-4!  :vrolijk27: 

But Frank offers a guarantee that his pipes will outperform any other pipe... so at least I have that...  :2vrolijk_21:

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

ldireprophil

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Road Glide Custom Maple Metallic
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2013, 11:13:24 AM »

Performance vs. other 2-1 pipes is an endless debate, Phil... but I will vouch for the fact that your Fat Cat is indeed LOUD. It's even louder than my Drago's S/C/S-4!  :vrolijk27: 

But Frank offers a guarantee that his pipes will outperform any other pipe... so at least I have that...  :2vrolijk_21:

Ken

mightywarlock, I say at the end of the day, go with the BEST performing pipe you feel best suits your particular build.  (Looks - "quality of chrome" and sound are to be considered too) Like Ken has stated, it's an endless debate.  The reality is the sound or "loudness" heard from the Dragos S/C/S-4 or the D&D Fat Cat sitting side by side is negligible.

2012 CVO RGC / Renegade Lincoln Phantom 21-17 / RWD Fender / -2 Front -1 Rear / Bad Dad Side Covers / Andrews 54H Cams / HQ Black Ops Lifters / Heavy Breather / Cometic .030 HG / Barnett +1 Clutch / Aim 480lb Spring / ClutchWiz / Hayden M6 / D&D Fat Cat 2-1 w/UPB & Ghost Pipe / TTS MasterTune 2 / Wizard's Tune / Alpine CDE-HD149BT Head Unit / Alpine PDX-M6 Amp / Hertz HCX 690 / Hertz HSK 165 XL / Biketronics Module / Cycles Sounds Lids / Misc Little Things

Rio

• 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2013, 01:01:56 PM »

This thread will go 15 pages before it dies :huepfenjump3:  I have Kerker Stouts on mine, love the sound, not certain of the performance because i haven't had a good tune.  Friend of mine just put Drago true duals on his, he absolutely loves them, plus I have heard good things about their 2:1 set up.  If I had to do it again, Dragos 2:1
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

mightywarlock

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2013, 11:08:30 AM »

I ended up going for a set of Fullsac DX pipes with the 2.25 cores and screens from another forum member who was switching to a Fatcat.

Not loud enough for my tastes, but i still have not experimented with the packing yet.
Tune from map is very smooth, but i'm experiencing some minor popping occasionally when downshifting.
Trying to figure out where each time to see if it will be easy to address.

Bike has a mild bump in power, but it's there.
I'd just call it still very smooth running that could probably improve only slightly if i had the bike actually dyno tuned. But i feel it's probably good enough for now.

Rio

• 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2013, 12:12:07 PM »

I ended up going for a set of Fullsac DX pipes with the 2.25 cores and screens from another forum member who was switching to a Fatcat.

Not loud enough for my tastes, but i still have not experimented with the packing yet.
Tune from map is very smooth, but i'm experiencing some minor popping occasionally when downshifting.
Trying to figure out where each time to see if it will be easy to address.

Bike has a mild bump in power, but it's there.
I'd just call it still very smooth running that could probably improve only slightly if i had the bike actually dyno tuned. But i feel it's probably good enough for now.

If you remove the packing (I did) they will be louder but you will lose a little bit of the deeper throaty tone?
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

+RO@D*R@GE+

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2013, 01:20:18 AM »

I have the Fullsac set up

DX header with 2.25 SD with no packing in....ride with people with rineharts all the time and they always say how they love the sound of my bike
Deep sound and at full throttle sounds killer...but still quiet on the highway until you get on it!!
much better performance with the fullsac setup over stock....just raced a yamaha cruiser with a 113 CI with air intake and V&H two into one and he couldn't hang on the highway - raced 5x and he lost every time

Don't talk about it....Be about it!!!
2012 cvo road glide maple
Fullsac DX headers
CFR Mufflers
TTS tuner
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Page created in 0.422 seconds with 21 queries.