Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 15" Windsplitter  (Read 6617 times)

UltraV

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE
15" Windsplitter
« on: June 13, 2013, 12:44:56 PM »

I have an 18" National Cycle Winshield which I like for the absence of buffeting and the quiet pocket it provides me, but I look through the windshield.  I have tried almost every other windshield and am wondering about the HD 15" Windsplitter.  I am 5'11" tall and would like to look over the windshield while still having a quiet, comfortable ride. Anyone have some feedback on the 15" HD Windsplitter?

Thanks
A bad day on the bike is better than a good day on the golf course!

jcd520

Re: 15" Windsplitter
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 01:18:05 PM »

I would recommend against it.
I am 6'2" , tried the 12 and the 15 windsplitter and think they are both for "looks only".
I ended up with the Windvest 13(12SERG) and like it just great. I look over , get a little wind but no brain damage buffeting like before. I tried the CEEBAILEY 15 as well , worked ok but don't like the looks at all.
Lots of people on here swear by th Freedom shield as well. Looks much like the Windvest but according to those who have posted here they are thicker and seem to fit very nicely.
Again, I am really happy with the Windvest. I think those windshields that don't have the dimples in the side just work better in the area around your ears and look better too. Just my opinion.
Windvest and Freedom shields will let you try them and return for a different size if you aren't happy . Also offer a CVO site member discount.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 06:38:58 AM »

my experience is just the opposite.  i have the 12'' windsplitter that i use for most of the year.  yeah, i still get some wind in the face (this is a motorcycle after all), but no buffeting.  the bulk of the wind is directed over my head and to the side.  in the wintertime, jan-mar, i use the 15'' for the increased protection to keep my face warmer.  if it gets really cold, i wear a modular helmet.

of course, your experience may differ significantly, i'm only 5'4'' :D  and yes, i do look over the 15'' shield
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

GRam

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 02:02:11 PM »

Installed the 15" Windsplitter when I picked up my bike for the 600 mile ride home in the cold/rain.
Only real downfall to it is the cost, I thought it was a tad steep, but it was the only other option the dealer had,
so was stuck with it. I'm 5'10", can see over it easily, and it offers pretty decent protection.
I never experienced much in the way of buffeting at all, and I ride with a beanie. Was comfy the whole way,
no ear plugs necessary.

anglia48

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 10:09:59 PM »

I have the 15" windsplitter and I am 5' 11" too. I look over the shield, but there is a ton of wind and buffetting. I plan on changing it out this summer.

Durwood

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
  • Sheffer Performance H-D
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 11:23:24 PM »

I'm 6' and I run the National cycles 15" on my 2011 RGU, might look into one of those if you don't get a Windsplitter.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 11:39:12 PM »

if you live close enough to a dealer, just go up there and get you a demo one.  then you can see for yourself if it's gonna work for you or not.  that way, you won't have a garage full of windshields....
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Rakeman

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 09:29:12 PM »

A guy on HD Forums did a article on recurve windshields a few years back for Roadglides he tested them all. Harley Klockwerks Clearview and the one that he tested as best is Windvest which I bought for my 07 Roadglide. No beffeting or wind swirl at speed. I just picked my 11 FLTRUSE 3 days ago and it had a Klockwerks on it yeah it looks cool but on the 1st ride  I'm breaking out the tools, it had to go Put my Windvest on and all is perfect in the world. BTW I am 5'11" as well.

PM me and I'll send pic.

2013SERG

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 03:37:48 PM »

I'll be posting a Windvest 15 For Sale here pretty soon, As i am 6'3'' and it did not work for me. I went with a 6" OEM better, looks killer as i use a full face for wind. Very nice windshield IMO, i am just too tall :( Sometimes i wish i was shorter :)

Joe.
2013 SERG Longhorn Burnt Orange
D&D Fat Cat
Power commander
Fueling 574 Reaper cams
C&C custom gel seat, pillion and tour pack rest.
Buky custom made these 12's x 1'&1/2
Custom paint done by Doug Starbuck in Riverside CA.

jcd520

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 06:27:54 PM »

I don't understand all this windshield business----------------I am 6'3" as well , I have a 13" windvest and couldn't be happier. I tried several windshields , both HD windsplitters , Cee baileys, they all were horrible------------The windvest is perfect , I must add that the lower fairings made all the difference in though in the RG.
I wear a ball cap or when traveling a 3/4 shoei RJ air. No problems.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 09:35:10 PM »

I am 5 11 and have tried so many windshields I am ashamed. But the Windvest are the best by far. I have a 12  a 13. Both work great, the 12 was a freebee when a friend traded for a EG and I can't see much difference, they both work great. The HD Windsplitter is, in my opinion, only for looks.

mrcvip

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 01:54:27 AM »

I am 5'10" and I am running the klock werks 12" and I took it off my 04 RG and its now on my 11 SERG. I can tell you guys that I can ride with no glasses over 80 mph and not shed 1 tear. I dont do it all the time but I just had to test it out since they claim you get real fresh air behind it if you have the right size.. My buddy smokes a cigar behind his with no problem and no ashes in his eyes..
Going broke happens, staying broke is your fault..

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 06:59:03 AM »

I love the windvest.    I have a 9" on my sg and no problems at all. I look over it and seems like no wind.   I have an 8" on my 04.

Mogulbumm

• Tiger Blood and Adonis DNA

• CVO1: FLTRUSE
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 10:48:43 PM »

I went through 3 different shields and settled on the Madstad. Expensive, but it is perfect. It comes to the bottom of my chin but I have it set so that the wind kicks up about 1" over my helmet and no buffeting on the back side. I can actually watch raindrops go up and over.

I read a post www.alaskapade.com where a RG rider drove from TX to the Arctic Circle and swore by it.  One week of riding and I was sold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2011 FLTRUSE CVO Rio Red
Fullsac Stage 1 and 2 on Order

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 06:34:20 AM »

Windvest here, at 6' and with the fairing angle I cut my 12" down a little over an inch so I'm looking over it. At 12" I found myself looking through it by the end if the day. I swear by the re-curve. It is worth roughly the equivalent of two inches more windshield. For the new guys, pick up some used windshields and see what works best for you. Don't be afraid to experiment. Cut them, tweak them, make it yours.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 21 queries.