Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Has anyone used the V&H stagered Short Shots on their Breakout or similar bike  (Read 13771 times)

KLB0

• Junior CVO Member

Got 50 miles of city riding in yesterday and I have a fair amount of backfiring when not in gear-smooth take off and cruise.   No previous issues before the the new pipes, running 93 non-ethanol gas-dealer convinced me I didn't need an after market tuner. 

I will go to the dealer today and ask about it but would like some input.  Help :-\
2013 FXSBSE Black Diamond Molten Silver, VH Shortshot Staggered pipes, Power Vision tuner, Shotgun Shock,  Todd's 10" apes

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout-crimson red
    • CVO2: 2012 V-Rod/10th Anniversary edition..well it SHOULD have been a CVO!

Got 50 miles of city riding in yesterday and I have a fair amount of backfiring when not in gear-smooth take off and cruise.   No previous issues before the the new pipes, running 93 non-ethanol gas-dealer convinced me I didn't need an after market tuner.  

I will go to the dealer today and ask about it but would like some input.  Help :-\

Oh, you will need a tune dude, no question about it....with a full exhaust install?  Very surprised the dealer told you that you would not need one...and you will definitely not realize any throttle response or seat-of-the-pants power improvements with the stock tune either-I know I didn't.

I can tell you that when I got my exhaust installed, I rode it a few miles just to do an installation run to make sure everything was snug and no leaks occurred after getting it hot, etc....I didn't load my Powervision tune until I got home later that day....wow, it was like popcorn popping during my installation ride, with the stock HD tune from the factory.... :o

After about 5 autotune sessions with my Powervision, that bike was transformed.  that was about 2000 miles ago, and that tune is still working perfectly.

The only time I get popping(and they are very minor) is when doing throttle blips on downshifts-exactly as it should be  :pepper:

It's a personal choice; after getting an exhaust install some folks get a dyno done and the tune is set accordingly(no doubt the best method to wring every bit of performance the bike has), and other folks get a tuner with an autotune feature.

Good quality exhaust you have there!

Jeff

« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 10:10:50 AM by Z06_Pilot »
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount
2012 10th Anniversary V-Rod, TAB slash-cut exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 Pro Tuner

cherryseeg2

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
  • J&B Performance Cycles
    • TN

• CVO1: 2003 Deuce traded for CVO 2
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry

If they told you that you didn't need a tuner, it's probably best you find somewhere to take your bike. They certainly don't have a clue what they're talking about. Anytime you change air flow into or out of the engine it needs to be tuned period.
2005 SEEG2 J&B Performance 120 -163/144

KLB0

• Junior CVO Member

The dealer did "retune" the stock ECU-his words were "we loaded a new profile."  It runs great on throttle- backfires 30 % of off-throttle.  I don't notice any power difference.
2013 FXSBSE Black Diamond Molten Silver, VH Shortshot Staggered pipes, Power Vision tuner, Shotgun Shock,  Todd's 10" apes

KLB0

• Junior CVO Member

Well- local HD service said they expected the "decel pop" so they suggested a tuner and a dyno to improve.  So I'm gonna take your advice Z06Pilot on the Powervision tuner.  Do I need to have a tech put it on initially and get a dyno now?  Or can I do it myself, run the autotune and dyno later?  Thanks

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

Well- local HD service said they expected the "decel pop" so they suggested a tuner and a dyno to improve.  So I'm gonna take your advice Z06Pilot on the Powervision tuner.  Do I need to have a tech put it on initially and get a dyno now?  Or can I do it myself, run the autotune and dyno later?  Thanks
Hey KLB,

That is the tact I am taking.  Using Autotune, then if I want to do a dyno later to dial it in perfectly, I will, but I am extremely satisfied with my results with the PV and autotune.

It's kind of understood I think, but Fuel Moto is the place you want to buy your PV, no if's and's, or but's...Jaime there is an expert with this tuner.  And the tech support at Dynojet itself is fantastic.  They are very responsive and thorough with their responses.  They will get you started with a tune that closely matches your bike and exhaust, then autotune to dial it in to your specific riding style.

No tech needed to install it.  One end plugs into your ECU connector under the seat, run the cord(I ran mine under the gas tank), and up to your handlebar where you mount a quick release bracket that comes with the PV.  After you have run the autotune sessions to the point where no further tuning progress is being made(for me, that was about 6 sessions), you can remove the bracket, since the PV is not required to stay on the bike.

and, don't worry.  the first thing the PV does when you connect it to the ECU is make a copy of your HD stock factory tune.  So, if for some reason you ever need to go back to it, you simply load it back in...

Several folks here have it, so getting feedback on the forum should not be any issue if you decide to go this route.

good luck!

Jeff
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount

KLB0

• Junior CVO Member

Just ordered the PV-2.  Jeff was right- they are super helpful and will preload a tune for me to flash.  Of note- decel pop has noticeably decreased after 100 more miles- did put 93 Shell ethanol+ gas.    More to follow...

KLB0

• Junior CVO Member

PV2 arrived yesterday.  Before this morning's ride to canyon Lake I flashed the preloaded map that Fuel Moto installed to ECM-huge difference!!! A lot less pop and smoother overall off throttle.  Going to auto tune next week.  More to follow...

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

PV2 arrived yesterday.  Before this morning's ride to canyon Lake I flashed the preloaded map that Fuel Moto installed to ECM-huge difference!!! A lot less pop and smoother overall off throttle.  Going to auto tune next week.  More to follow...

that's great KLB!  BTW, when you are doing the autotune session where it is analyzing your ride, don't be surprised if the bike is riding pretty crappy, or with no noticeable improvement.  it's not until after the ride where you save off the analyzed session then re-flash it in to the ECU where you will see the improvements.

Also, something else I learned from Dynojet.  As you are riding, i assume you will have the log matrix pulled up and as you ride you will see different squares being highlighted and filled in with percentage numbers(these boxes represent different RPM's at various throttle positions).  There is an average percentage of change that is shown, collectively,  for all of the values.  Once that average change value is 0% AFTER your autotune ride, you will know you have made all the improvements you can with the BASIC autotune feature, or according to Dynojet, your improvements at that point will not be noticeable while riding.

keep us informed  :2vrolijk_21:  It's a great help to everyone to learn the experiences folks are having with various fuel management systems...

KLB0

• Junior CVO Member

I have had 3 sessions with Autotune going.  2 were around town- which seemed to immediately lessen the decel pop.  Then I took a 30 min ride on the hwy and and 15 min in while in cruise at 65 I got a real backfire and cruise canceled-the rest of that ride went without incident.  I saved and flashed that tune, had a good hwy ride back but when I got off the hwy- the decel pop was more often.    Wondering if there is a recommended profile to autotuning the bike, hwy vs in town riding??

Layin the Pipe

• Drill baby drill!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FXSBSE Hard Candy Gold Dust/Liquid Sun

Off topic, but Canyon Lake all the way up through the Hill Country to Hico/Stephenville area is an awesome ride!
You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas! - Davy Crockett

KLB0

• Junior CVO Member

Just moved here a last month and have gone up there twice- I think a part of it is called the devils backbone.  I agree, but got to get up there early before the heat does.  Thanks!

zink442

I have black ones on mine, I just had to elongate the 4 pipe mounting holes in the bracket a slight bit to make them bolt right up!
V&H Short Shots Staggered W/Quiet baffles, Fuelmoto Air Cleaner, Power vision 2 with Fuelmoto Map

KLB0

• Junior CVO Member

zink442, the pipes look perfect- any other mods coming?
ken

ChopperPilot

• 1K CVO Member
    • MO

• CVO1: 2023 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2020 FLHXSE (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2014 FXSBSE (Sold)

Those pipes look good on a Breakout.
2023 CVO Street Glide
Whiskey Neat
Khrome Werks Duals

2019 Heritage Classic 114 Special
Silver Flux and Black Fuse
Rinehart 2 into 1 Pipe
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand and Blaze Orange
Vance & Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 Pipes
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 21 queries.