Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Twitchy handling in a straight line  (Read 27282 times)

06ULTRASE

• Senior CVO Member
  • In Memory of Scott Wheelihan

• CVO1: 06 FLHTUCSE (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTUCSE8
Re: Twitchy handling in a straight line
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2013, 05:54:25 PM »

I have had my 2013 for 3 weeks now. The first time the wife and I rode on the interstate she was concerned with the moving around we were felling. Having ridden Electra Glides all my HD riding career with the exception of the last year and a half on a Road Glide I didn't think that much about it but it's more than I remember from previous bikes. I only notice the wondering at highway speeds following a large vehicle. I'm going to follow this thread closely.

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2013, 06:02:05 PM »

Wheel bearing were fine, wheel/tire was rebalanced twice, each with no improvement.  I can pretty much guarantee that if we switched bikes and took a short ride on the highway you would understand what we are talking about.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting there's an issue.  But "turbulence from the spokes" doesn't make sense, especially since there are bikes that don't exhibit this problem.  Since the problem went away when the wheels were switched, it's clearly not an issue with the suspension or the bike's alignment (unless the rear wheel was cocked).

But yeah, I'd love to swap bikes with someone who's having this issue to see exactly what they're talking about.
The best you've had is the best you know.

PierceEye

• Living The Life In Florida
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE8-ANV
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2013, 08:51:18 PM »

But it is not common among all of them it seems, so to me that strikes out turbulence (change) from the wheels is what I meant IMO
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 11:35:34 PM by PierceEye »
FLHTCUSE8-Anv w/ Vance & Hines true dual Ovals
88.85hp & 109.33tq tuned with the SE Pro Super Tuner

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2013, 10:43:53 PM »

Don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting there's an issue.  But "turbulence from the spokes" doesn't make sense, especially since there are bikes that don't exhibit this problem.  Since the problem went away when the wheels were switched, it's clearly not an issue with the suspension or the bike's alignment (unless the rear wheel was cocked).

But yeah, I'd love to swap bikes with someone who's having this issue to see exactly what they're talking about.

It doesn't have to be turbulence, it could be that some of those wheels were mismachined or have other flaws that affect lateral runout, imbalance, or tracking.  We've already seen improperly machined wheels on earlier CVO's that caused brake rotor warpage, so obviously Harley's wheel supplier is quite capable of screwing up.

If the bike has the problem with wheel A and tire A, and the problem is completely eliminated with a change to wheel B and tire B, the odds are pretty good that the wheel or tire is the problem.  Since the guys with the problem have reported already having the tires changed with no improvement, that tips the scales toward a wheel problem. 

The big issue is the same one many of us have had over the years when dealing with defects from Harley.  If Harley has decided to disavow all knowledge or possiblity of a defect, then very few of us have been willing to spend more on attorney fees than it would cost us to just fix the crap ourselves. Harley counts on the customers giving up and fixing defects themselves, and sadly they get away with it much more often than not.  Considering how much two new wheels appropriate for a CVO will cost, this might be a time when it's worth it to at least consult with an attorney before letting Harley get away with it again. :nixweiss:

Jerry 
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2013, 11:13:06 PM »

It doesn't have to be turbulence, it could be that some of those wheels were mismachined or have other flaws that affect lateral runout, imbalance, or tracking.  We've already seen improperly machined wheels on earlier CVO's that caused brake rotor warpage, so obviously Harley's wheel supplier is quite capable of screwing up.

If the bike has the problem with wheel A and tire A, and the problem is completely eliminated with a change to wheel B and tire B, the odds are pretty good that the wheel or tire is the problem.  Since the guys with the problem have reported already having the tires changed with no improvement, that tips the scales toward a wheel problem.
It absolutely means that the wheel or tire is the problem, I'm just saying that I don't buy the turbulence theory.
The best you've had is the best you know.

oe542bob

• Full CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7(traded)
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHTKSE(traded)
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHXSE(traded) ‘19 FLHXSE(traded) ‘21 FLHXSE
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2013, 09:18:13 AM »

Just saw this thread. I have a 2012 CVO Ultra, and your description is how my bike is too. It's not scary, per se, but as you say, it feels "twitchy". I haven't ever said anything to the dealer about it, figuring I would be looked at like I "have 2 heads"! It's interesting to see that changing the wheels, eliminated the twitching. Wheels that come on the Ultra are not to my liking, and are a real pain to clean. I would prefer to have the agitator wheels, like the Streetglide CVOs  come with. Just don't want to spend the money to change them. But since I've read this entire post and changing the stock wheels eliminates the twitching, it may just push me to do it. But why when you look in the catalog, it doesn't show that they fit the CVO Ultra?
We just purchased a 2013 CVO Ultra at the beginning of May.  I traded in my 2012 skunk for this bike so I am familiar with the new frame.  It has spent most of life in the shop chasing a constant twitching in the ride.  When you travel straight down the road it moves like it is running on a seam in the pavement or driving on a slick surface.  It requires constant input into the handlebars since it can't seem to keep it's balance and the bike feels like it is dancing underneath you.  So far the repairs under warranty include the following:  The front and rear tires have been replaced since the tread was defective on both.  The lower chrome cowl piece (under the headlight) that was installed by the factory was from a Tri-Glide causing air to enter the fairing and movement of the front end.  All the torque on the bolts for the shocks, swing arm etc. have been verified to specifications.  Front end has been check for the correct amount of fork oil and proper steering head adjustment.  The shocks are not holding air overnight and will be replaced under warranty.  The bike has been taken to another dealer since the first one has given up.  The factory has been notified and is involved.  The bike is causing my wife to have motion sickness, something she never gets.  Has anyone experienced this type of issue?  Could the style of wheels on the CVO Ultra be an issue?  Could changing out the Dunlaps help?  Does anyone have any other ideas?
 :nixweiss: 

Landshark

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 FLSTF-SE
    • CVO2: 2009 FXDF-SE
    • CVO3: 2006 FLHTCU-SE
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2013, 10:26:37 AM »

Since I have been dealing with this, my dealer has been talking to HD Tech Support.  Tech Support is claiming that the Agitator wheels can cause a "dynamic handling" issue on the 2012-2013 CVOs.  You will notice that ALL the other wheels for touring bikes also state "incompatibility" with 2012-2013 CVOs.  It even states stock touring wheels are incompatible.  I feel the "Chisel" wheels cause a "dynamic handling" issue".  Could it be that HD does not want to admit there could be a problem with the "Chisel" wheels?  I can only speculate.  I strongly suggest you and anyone else who feels it to contact their dealer and also the NHTSA.  Harley will not do anyhing until more people speak up. 

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2013, 11:07:02 AM »

The reason that the Agitators "are not compatible" is that they don't come in 16"/17" sizes.  I went 18/18 and I am very happy.  The only downside of an 18" rear wheel is that the only tire available with an appropriate weight rating is the stock Dunlop.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

oe542bob

• Full CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7(traded)
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHTKSE(traded)
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHXSE(traded) ‘19 FLHXSE(traded) ‘21 FLHXSE
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2013, 04:57:43 PM »

Hey, Erniezap, did the 18/18 change cause inaccurate speedo readings?
The reason that the Agitators "are not compatible" is that they don't come in 16"/17" sizes.  I went 18/18 and I am very happy.  The only downside of an 18" rear wheel is that the only tire available with an appropriate weight rating is the stock Dunlop.

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2013, 06:47:54 PM »

Not at all.  Jim (HD-Dude) double checked as well
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

sanjoseduke

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2013, 08:17:41 PM »

I just returned from a 4k mile ride to the west coast GTG in Santa Fe and am thoroughly disgusted with the poor handling of my 2013 ultra cuse 8. I never felt safe over 65 mph (slower in the twistiest)  as the front end of the bike wanted to wander all over the place. I guess I'll have to purchase a new front wheel and tire to see if this improves the handling. If not--- I' guess I will have to choose another bike manufacture. I could run my 06 cuse all day long at 90+ and it was as steady as a rock. Anyone have a front wheel for sale? If so PM me.
13 FLHTCUSE8

Retired & Loving it!

sanjoseduke

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2013, 08:36:15 PM »

GRC "But yeah, I'd love to swap bikes with someone who's having this issue to see exactly what they're talking about."
Come out to California and you can ride my 2013 ulrta SEUC8 all you want, you wont want to ride it very far!
13 FLHTCUSE8

Retired & Loving it!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2013, 08:49:10 PM »

GRC "But yeah, I'd love to swap bikes with someone who's having this issue to see exactly what they're talking about."
Come out to California and you can ride my 2013 ulrta SEUC8 all you want, you wont want to ride it very far!

That wasn't me Duke, I believe the person you are quoting is 05train.  I believe you guys.  I think what you need is to get the clown running H-D to come out and ride your bike.  Perhaps after it scares the chit out of him he will stop being such a cheap azz and get his people to fix these things.  Not likely, but we could hope.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Landshark

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 FLSTF-SE
    • CVO2: 2009 FXDF-SE
    • CVO3: 2006 FLHTCU-SE
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2013, 09:11:33 PM »

I was told by my dealer, that Jeanette, the factory regional rep, rode mine and said she could not feel or duplicate the twitchy handling.  The HD authorized dealers seem to be distancing themselves from this issue.  I was able to get one authorized HD mechanic to validate it on two separate occasions.  Harley just keeps saying the bike it within their acceptable tolerances.  Again, anyone who is experiencing this issue, please bring it to your dealer's attention.  If anyone would like the number to HD Customer Service, here it is 1-800-258-2464.  When prompted, press 2,  6, and then 1.  HD needs to know this is a problem on their flagship motorcycle. 

tweeter13

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2013, 09:32:02 PM »

I am not sure if I was having the same problem or not as you guys were. When I first got mine I noticed after aa week or so it just wasn't quite right.  I put mine one the jack, and could feel the steering head bearings were way out of adjustment.  I took it in and they did their little talk and did the tire pressure check.  And then he test drove it he could not believe I rode it there.  I can't believe that it wasn't caught when the bike was pre-serviced.
 He adjusted the steering head bearings not a problem since.  

Todd.  
18 Monsterbrite led lights
Fullsac DX head pipe
Fullsac 2.25 baffles
TTS master-tune
George Anderson tourpac relocator
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 21 queries.