Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Twitchy handling in a straight line  (Read 27285 times)

Landshark

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 FLSTF-SE
    • CVO2: 2009 FXDF-SE
    • CVO3: 2006 FLHTCU-SE
Re: Twitchy handling in a straight line
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2013, 10:17:38 PM »

My steering head bearings have been checked twice.  I wish that would have solved the problem.

NH Bulldog

• Full CVO Member
    • NH

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2013, 02:29:46 PM »

Mine "appears" tolerable as long as we are both on it.  Just did a 635 mile trip this weekend and no issues, but when I rode to the dealer yesterday for the 10k service, it was all over the road...felt a lot of wobble.  Asked the dealer to look at it.  I wonder if someone with the wheel/tire plan (I didn't get one), might have an encounter with a sizeable pothole and get a new wheel by that method?  Either way, I filed a complaint with NHTSA, listed under 2012 FLHTCUSE7 wheels, suspension, steering.  It said no other listings for model and year of bike, so maybe I am the only one having an issue with my '12 Ultra CVO?
2017 CVO Limited - Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue with Wicked Sapphire
Red Knights MAL

Landshark

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2013, 04:50:43 PM »

The NHTSA complaints are under specific headings.  erniezap's complaint is under "2102 H-D FLHTCUSE7" and mine is under "2013 H-D FLHTCUSE".  My wife also experiences the twitchy handling when she is the solo rider and also when she is the passenger with me.  
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 04:53:29 PM by Landshark »

brosen101

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CUSE8
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2013, 05:49:03 PM »

Been following this thread, and sort of like Web MD, now I'M starting to wonder if I have "twitchy handling" too! 

Have had my '13 CUSE8 for a few months, put a couple thousand miles on it via street, highway, very high speeds and low, single and two up.  After following this thread for a bit, I started looking for that twitchy handling.

Luckily, I am not experiencing twitchy handling or any bad handling behaviors from the bike - she's been laser tight under every circumstance.  I get a bit of wind buffeting, but I equate that to the shield shape / height, and whatever the wind is deciding to do at that particular moment. 

I'm wondering...are most owners of our year/model having this issue, or most not having it?

Sidenote:  Had solids on my '03 HRSE12 -  you wanna talk about "twitchy" handling...try riding at high speeds in cross winds with that bad boy.  Ey carumba!!

2UP3DOWN

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2UP3DOWN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHTCUTGSE - Sunset Orange &amp Sunset Black
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3 Silver Surfer - 2013 FLHRSE5 Crushed Saphire
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2013, 07:25:52 PM »

Guess I'll jump in on this one too...

My 2013 Ultra feels a little twitchy at times.  I would describe it as the front wheel seems to slightly wobble or twitch under the bike, usually under conditions over 45 mph and it also seems worse when it's very windy...  At times I dont feel it at all... Seems to come and go.

Been to the dealship and they swear up and down that there's nothing wrong with the bike. They performed the "checks" and everything is within tolerance.  They've ridden it multiple times and the tech doesnt feel it...

what to do...   ???

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2013, 08:29:10 PM »

Guess I'll jump in on this one too...

My 2013 Ultra feels a little twitchy at times.  I would describe it as the front wheel seems to slightly wobble or twitch under the bike, usually under conditions over 45 mph and it also seems worse when it's very windy...  At times I dont feel it at all... Seems to come and go.

Been to the dealship and they swear up and down that there's nothing wrong with the bike. They performed the "checks" and everything is within tolerance.  They've ridden it multiple times and the tech doesnt feel it...

what to do...   ???

Like I have said repeatedly.  It is the chisel front wheel.  Have your dealer ride your bike on the highway then put a stock StreetGlide wheel on and repeat the ride.  Totally different handling bikes!
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2013, 10:58:43 PM »

Like I have said repeatedly.  It is the chisel front wheel.  Have your dealer ride your bike on the highway then put a stock StreetGlide wheel on and repeat the ride.  Totally different handling bikes!
And I'll say it again; my bike doesn't do this.  That's why I'm so intrigued by this. 
The best you've had is the best you know.

Landshark

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2013, 11:50:52 PM »

Just as Ernie states, I changed out the front wheel with a used "Street Glide" front wheel and the "twitchy" handling went away.  And thanks again Ernie, or I would still be chasing this issue.  I am working on replacing the wheels now.  I just wish Harley would step up and admit there is a problem.  Unless others who are having the same problem bring it to their dealer's attention and that of HD customer service, they never will. 

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2013, 12:42:31 AM »

For those of you who "don't have the problem", I bet that if you got on a non-CVO Ultra with stock wheels you would notice a big difference in the handling and feel.  Take a test ride, you have nothing to lose.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

woode

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Anniversary FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: (Retired) Ruby Red FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2013, 02:23:29 AM »

I don't have the problem with mine either.  In fact, it is a far more stable ride than my last bike (CUSE4).  You mentioned that your shocks lose air overnight, which I assume would contribute greatly to instability.  Did replacement improve the ride?  Just curious.

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2013, 10:23:53 AM »

For those of you who "don't have the problem", I bet that if you got on a non-CVO Ultra with stock wheels you would notice a big difference in the handling and feel.  Take a test ride, you have nothing to lose.
Not me.  The new bike is as stable as my 2010 FLHTK with stock wheels, and as stable as the 2013 FLTRU I've ridden.

I don't know what to tell you, but my bike doesn't have the problem.

KenK

« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2013, 10:57:50 AM »

You are absolutely correct! I traded my 13 Limited in on my 13 CVO ultra and the Limited would easily out handle the CVO ...The dealer claims the bike was not set up correctly and will take care of it at the first service..but after reading this post.....well.. I got the same issue 

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2013, 12:24:49 PM »

Not me.  The new bike is as stable as my 2010 FLHTK with stock wheels, and as stable as the 2013 FLTRU I've ridden.

I don't know what to tell you, but my bike doesn't have the problem.

If you say so, not going to argue the point...
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

brwk

• Full CVO Member
  • Annv #782

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2013, 12:57:05 PM »

Traded my 2010 FLHTCU for a 13 FLHTCUSE8 and I noticed that my new bikes handling is much better.   :nixweiss:

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2013, 01:05:13 PM »

If you say so, not going to argue the point...
Wise move, as you've not ridden my bike.

I'm not saying that some people aren't experiencing an issue.  I am saying that I've got nearly 100,000 miles on Harley Touring bikes, and my CVO is as stable as any other one I've ridden with the new frame.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 21 queries.