Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Twitchy handling in a straight line  (Read 27419 times)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Twitchy handling in a straight line
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2013, 01:10:51 PM »

Wise move, as you've not ridden my bike.

I'm not saying that some people aren't experiencing an issue.  I am saying that I've got nearly 100,000 miles on Harley Touring bikes, and my CVO is as stable as any other one I've ridden with the new frame.
As you have not ridden those that are having the problem no matter how many miles you've rode a Harley Touring bike.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2013, 01:36:33 PM »

Wise move, as you've not ridden my bike.

I'm not saying that some people aren't experiencing an issue.  I am saying that I've got nearly 100,000 miles on Harley Touring bikes, and my CVO is as stable as any other one I've ridden with the new frame.
As you have not ridden those that are having the problem no matter how many miles you've rode a Harley Touring bike.
A point which I've made several times, including the post you quoted.

Obviously people are having a problem while others are not.  That says to me, since it seems pretty clear that the problem is in the wheel/tire/bearing somewhere, that the issue is production tolerances rather than a universal issue with the wheels.

To be clear, since apparently people are still missing it, my bike doesn't have this problem, and I've owned or ridden plenty of new-frame Touring bikes to have a frame of reference.  I believe everyone here who is complaining about the twitchy handling issue....They have no reason to lie about it.  With everything that's been adjusted and changed, the problem has to be in the wheel itself, but not with all the wheels (since I'm not the only person that doesn't have the problem).

That says to me that it's an issue with production variances.
The best you've had is the best you know.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2013, 01:52:59 PM »

As you have not ridden those that are having the problem no matter how many miles you've rode a Harley Touring bike.A point which I've made several times, including the post you quoted.

Obviously people are having a problem while others are not.  That says to me, since it seems pretty clear that the problem is in the wheel/tire/bearing somewhere, that the issue is production tolerances rather than a universal issue with the wheels.

To be clear, since apparently people are still missing it, my bike doesn't have this problem, and I've owned or ridden plenty of new-frame Touring bikes to have a frame of reference.  I believe everyone here who is complaining about the twitchy handling issue....They have no reason to lie about it.  With everything that's been adjusted and changed, the problem has to be in the wheel itself, but not with all the wheels (since I'm not the only person that doesn't have the problem).

That says to me that it's an issue with production variances.
:wall: :beatdeadhorse:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2013, 02:17:07 PM »

Did he say his bike does or does not have this problem? :nixweiss: :huepfenjump3: :drink:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2013, 02:46:12 PM »

I'm not sure what the big brouhaha is about.  We all know by now, or at least those of us still conscious should know, that Harley has a very serious problem with product variability.  Not every CVO110 has blown up, but an alarmingly large number of them have.  Not every ETC has failed and gone into limp mode out on the highway, but an alarmingly large number have.  Not every compensator has failed (yet), but an alarmingly large number have, often multiple times.  Not every Harley has suffered from warped rotors, but a large number have, some multiple times as well.  Is anyone starting to see the point here?

It's very easy to see the problem and demand a fix when the failure rate is 100%.  Even Harley would have a hard time avoiding sanctions from the regulatory agencies if it was a 100% problem.  The problem is that when Harley is confronted by a defect that presents at a lower rate, their first response is always avoidance.  They start with a BS campaign claiming they've never heard of such a problem (even though they've had many other calls about the same problem), then they change the story to "yes we've heard of a small number of complaints, but we determined the bikes were within our tolerances", or they try to blame the customer for the problem.  They only stop the stonewalling when the negative publicity reaches critical mass, kind of like with the first year 110 engine fiasco, and even then they don't admit to serious defects but pass it off as a voluntary upgrade program.

The people who do have this handling issue need to raise hell at all levels, from the dealership to Harley corporate to the NHTSA.  Having one or two people file complaints will have the same result as when a tiny fly attacks an elephant.  You all need to step up if you want the elephant to pay attention to your problem.

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

hep0950

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2013, 08:04:26 PM »

Good reply grc. Not everyone is having the problem for what ever reason. Could it be bearings? When those who change their wheels, is the bearings changed as well? I had an 08 Ultra and my 12 CVO seems to handle a bit lighter and better than the 08. This does not mean others have not had a problem as 05train said. Those who have the problem need to keep hammering at the MOCO. Perhaps if someone runs into Willie they could discuss the problem with him, or another exec that would listen. The problem with most dealers is that they do not like such problems or something that may be a recall. Car dealers are the same way, as are car manufacturers. Has anyone gone to an indy and had them check it out? One thing that my wife an I have found out, is that if you post things on the Facebook page of a business that is not a sterling report, they tend to notice it. I would suggest those having the problem to keep reporting it and maybe put it on their Facebook page.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2013, 08:59:25 PM »

Did he say his bike does or does not have this problem? :nixweiss: :huepfenjump3: :drink:

I'd go with whatever Ernie said...     :nixweiss: :nixweiss:    :drink:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Landshark

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 FLSTF-SE
    • CVO2: 2009 FXDF-SE
    • CVO3: 2006 FLHTCU-SE
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2013, 09:19:49 PM »

Great idea from hep0950.  My wife, who is very active on facebook, has just posted on Harley-Davidson facebook account this issue with the twitchy handling.  She is tired of the bike sitting in the garage while we work on replacing the wheels so she can ride the bike.  I hope this will get their attention just as hep0950 suggested.  I just want H-D to deliver the bike I thought I bought.

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2013, 09:52:57 PM »

Well put Jerry.

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2013, 10:30:21 PM »

One thing that my wife an I have found out, is that if you post things on the Facebook page of a business that is not a sterling report, they tend to notice it. I would suggest those having the problem to keep reporting it and maybe put it on their Facebook page.

Thanks for the suggestion!  My Facebook post on the Harley-Davidson page:

I have a 2012 CVO Ultra. The bike was unstable at any speed over 60 MPH. After trying numerous things (at my own cost) to stabilize the bike, it turned out that the Chisel front wheel that comes on the CVO Ultra was what was causing the instability. This was determined by mounting my front tire on a stock StreetGlide wheel and taking it for a test ride. With the StreetGlide wheel, the bike handled beautifully and was very stable. My dealer, and myself, both called the Motor Company to discuss this with them. Their answer? We will not do anything regarding wheel replacement unless the chrome is peeling! I ended up spending almost $3,000 for new wheels and tires to make my $38,000 motorcycle, HD's flagship bike, rideable! You would think that the Motor Company would take care of someone who has owned 3 CVO E-Glides and is a loyal customer, but apparently not. There are numerous other 2012 and 2013 CVO Ultra owners experiencing the same issue but Harley Davidson refuses to acknowledge that there is a problem with the Chisel wheels.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

blacktop

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2013 - Anniversary #674
    • CVO3: 2021 CVO Limited Bronze
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2013, 07:02:56 AM »

Perhaps I've missed it but...has anyone that has swapped the chisel wheel with say a Street Glide wheel ridden the Street Glide with the chisel wheel? If the Street Glide was twitchy with the Chisel Wheel, then we can make a further argument that the Chisel wheel may be faulty. Has anyone ridden a Street Glide or any other bike with a faulty Chisel wheel from an Ultra?

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2013, 07:51:50 AM »

Perhaps I've missed it but...has anyone that has swapped the chisel wheel with say a Street Glide wheel ridden the Street Glide with the chisel wheel? If the Street Glide was twitchy with the Chisel Wheel, then we can make a further argument that the Chisel wheel may be faulty. Has anyone ridden a Street Glide or any other bike with a faulty Chisel wheel from an Ultra?
That's a helluva idea.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2013, 08:50:39 AM »

Good idea, but I'd recommend putting the wheel on an Ultra, not a Street Glide.  There is enough difference between an Ultra and SG in terms of weight, weight distribution, and suspension that it could affect any test and just muddy the water.  It's best to eliminate as many variables as possible.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

blacktop

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2013 - Anniversary #674
    • CVO3: 2021 CVO Limited Bronze
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2013, 09:37:38 AM »

Good idea, but I'd recommend putting the wheel on an Ultra, not a Street Glide.  There is enough difference between an Ultra and SG in terms of weight, weight distribution, and suspension that it could affect any test and just muddy the water.  It's best to eliminate as many variables as possible.

Jerry

Would assume that you mean another Ultra which doesn't have any problems. That's a great idea. If the Ultra that didn't have a problem is subsequently 'twitchy' then it may suggest an issue with the wheel/tire/bearing.

oe542bob

• Full CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7(traded)
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHTKSE(traded)
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHXSE(traded) ‘19 FLHXSE(traded) ‘21 FLHXSE
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2013, 07:50:22 PM »

excellent idea!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 22 queries.