Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Twitchy handling in a straight line  (Read 27416 times)

Landshark

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 FLSTF-SE
    • CVO2: 2009 FXDF-SE
    • CVO3: 2006 FLHTCU-SE
Re: Twitchy handling in a straight line
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2013, 09:30:44 PM »

I will try to talk a friend with a Ltd to mount my front wheel after I get another one to replace the one currently holding up the bike.

hep0950

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2013, 03:19:12 PM »

Good idea, but I'd recommend putting the wheel on an Ultra, not a Street Glide.  There is enough difference between an Ultra and SG in terms of weight, weight distribution, and suspension that it could affect any test and just muddy the water.  It's best to eliminate as many variables as possible.

Jerry

Yes, a good idea. Seems to me there have been problems with wheel bearings as well. Since everyone isn't having the same problems, there has to be a defect somewhere and the list is limited. Bearings, tire, wheel, windshields. I would suspect a manufacturing problem, or an adjustment problem as versus a design problem since everyone isn't experiencing the same problems. I hope a solution will be found soon and hope the Facebook thing will work.

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2013, 07:08:26 AM »

I will try to talk a friend with a Ltd to mount my front wheel after I get another one to replace the one currently holding up the bike.

I say you send your wheel and tire to 05train to try out.   :nixweiss:
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2013, 07:48:48 AM »

I say you send your wheel and tire to 05train to try out.   :nixweiss:
I shudder to think of the shipping costs.....
The best you've had is the best you know.

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2013, 03:40:59 PM »

Could the twitch and nut issue be related?
 :nixweiss:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=86508.0

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

PierceEye

• Living The Life In Florida
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE8-ANV
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2013, 07:52:12 PM »

Would assume that you mean another Ultra which doesn't have any problems. That's a great idea. If the Ultra that didn't have a problem is subsequently 'twitchy' then it may suggest an issue with the wheel/tire/bearing.

Swap wheels between a CVO and a non CVO UC.....
FLHTCUSE8-Anv w/ Vance & Hines true dual Ovals
88.85hp & 109.33tq tuned with the SE Pro Super Tuner

mikevc

« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2013, 05:34:45 PM »

Hi,
Thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth .  Just had a new tire put on thanks to Harley, side wall cracking.  I did have the twitching but after the new tire,which this is my 3rd warranty for side wall cracking.  This time no twitching
and was just wondering if turning the wheel 180 degrees made a difference?

Regards,

Mike Van Camp

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2013, 07:33:12 PM »

Hi,
Thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth .  Just had a new tire put on thanks to Harley, side wall cracking.  I did have the twitching but after the new tire,which this is my 3rd warranty for side wall cracking.  This time no twitching
and was just wondering if turning the wheel 180 degrees made a difference?

Regards,

Mike Van Camp

Are you sure they actually flipped the wheel 180°?  Hopefully they didn't because the wheel bearings aren't the same and your ABS won't work.  One side has a special bearing made to work with the wheel speed sensor for the ABS, and the other side has a regular bearing.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

mikevc

« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2013, 08:13:22 PM »

No not sure they fliped the wheel just a thought. did not know about the bearings

Mike Van Camp

flyguy

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 110th Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2016 Road Glide Ultra 117 Kit
« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2013, 09:32:49 AM »

I'm just seeing this and yup I've had the same issue since I purchased the bike; however it seems to me to be a bit worse now. 2013 CUSE8-ANN 4,600 miles.

I've asked the dealer to check the problem 3 times and it's always come back as "can not duplicate" I really hate that response!. The problem is a wobble, which is more pronounced at lower speeds and when I ride solo. I wondered if it had to do with weight distribution, but I don't think so. The front end feels loose to me as if there is too much play either in the neck bearings or wheel bearings. Could be the tire but it doesn't look scalloped, I've checked, by feeling for heat and listening to the wheel bearings and nothing seems unusual. I've done the fall away procedure and it also seems in spec but in my mind it seems too loose. So I may have to try and take it apart and tighten the neck a slight bit to see if there is difference.. I know it's going to be a pain to do this but, i'm getting tired of riding a bike that I really love yet handles so poorly. You would think you should get what you pay for!!! And it's disappointing that the dealer, gives it no credence at all..Geeze Louise!!!!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 10:11:48 AM by flyguy »

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2013, 09:52:52 AM »

I'm just seeing this and yup I've had the same issue since I purchased the bike; however it seems to me to be a bit worse now. 2013 CUSE8-ANN 4,600 miles.

I've asked the dealer to check the problem 3 times and it's always come back as "can not duplicate" I really hate that response!. The problem is a wobble, which is more pronounced at lower speeds and when I ride solo. I wondered if it had to do with weight distribution, but I don't think so. The front end feels loose to me as if there is too much play either in the neck bearings or wheel bearings. Could be the tire but it doesn't look scalloped, I've checked, by feeling for heat and listening to the wheel bearings and nothing seems unusual. I've done the fall away procedure and it also seems in spec but in my mind it seems too loose. So I may have to try and take it apart and tighten the neck a slight bit to see if there is difference.. I know it's going to be a pain to do this but, i'm getting tired of riding a bike that I really love yet handles so poorly. You would think you should get what you pay for!!! And it's disappointing that the dealer, that the dealer gives it no credence at all..Geeze Louise!!!!

I would try a different dealer!
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

flyguy

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 110th Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2016 Road Glide Ultra 117 Kit
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2013, 10:54:42 AM »

Yes I plan to; but will keep looking at this thread to see if any definitive solutions are found. If its a design issue there should be a fix eventually.

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2013, 10:59:16 AM »

Like I have said previously, the only solution for my bike was to swap out the chisel wheel with an agitator.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

sanjoseduke

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2013, 07:30:47 PM »

Like I have said previously, the only solution for my bike was to swap out the chisel wheel with an agitator.

I just returned from HD Dude's shop with a new 18" agitator and Dunlop HD tire on my new 2013 CUSE8. Wow what a difference, I can now ride over 65 and feel like the bike is hugging the road instead of wandering all over the place. Those chisel wheels are a POS.
I had Jim put my old wheel on his balance machine to check out tire balance... it was within spec, we checked out the rim, tire, and rotor's for run-out all looked within specs, don't ask me but the problem is solved with new wheel and tire!
Ernie...... I am now a believer
13 FLHTCUSE8

Retired & Loving it!

PierceEye

• Living The Life In Florida
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE8-ANV
« Reply #74 on: August 07, 2013, 09:13:27 PM »

So I noticed something Sunday.....if I open the fairing lowers to where they are straight I had better handling.....I still got a little wandering but it did not give me as bad of that float feeling
FLHTCUSE8-Anv w/ Vance & Hines true dual Ovals
88.85hp & 109.33tq tuned with the SE Pro Super Tuner
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 22 queries.