Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  All

Author Topic: Twitchy handling in a straight line  (Read 27422 times)

hep0950

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Twitchy handling in a straight line
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2013, 12:49:38 AM »

Wheel bearing were fine, wheel/tire was rebalanced twice, each with no improvement.  I can pretty much guarantee that if we switched bikes and took a short ride on the highway you would understand what we are talking about.

Probably. It has to be something that was a defect since it is not happening to everyone. You say the bearings were fine. Was that because they looked good, or within tolerance? There is just a limited amount of things that the problem could be. It may be faulty wheels, or tires or even bearings even if they look good. Good luck finding the problem.

flyguy

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 110th Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2016 Road Glide Ultra 117 Kit
« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2013, 08:06:54 PM »

Still trying to find my issue; I did notice that with mine it is slow speed, especially 30 and under and much more pronounced when turning at slow speed, and turning stops etc..
Next step for me is to tighten the neck bearing a notch or 2 to see if that makes a difference. I can't see spending a fortune on new wheels while the bike is under warranty.

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2013, 08:54:17 PM »

Just weird.  I ran my bike through the ERC course at the local dealer Saturday with no issues.  Followed that up with plenty of high speed back roads.  Other than the vagueness of the stock front end, it's perfect. 

Sent from my iPad, probably while I'm pooping.
The best you've had is the best you know.

blacktop

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2013 - Anniversary #674
    • CVO3: 2021 CVO Limited Bronze
« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2013, 07:41:15 AM »

No problems here, went down the road on the weekend hands off the bars at 60 MPH and it went as straight as an arrow.

Soot

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHRSE5- Road King in Crushed Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Typhoon (blew in and blew out)
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2013, 12:08:41 PM »

We just purchased a 2013 CVO Ultra at the beginning of May.  I traded in my 2012 skunk for this bike so I am familiar with the new frame.  It has spent most of life in the shop chasing a constant twitching in the ride.  When you travel straight down the road it moves like it is running on a seam in the pavement or driving on a slick surface.  It requires constant input into the handlebars since it can't seem to keep it's balance and the bike feels like it is dancing underneath you.[/color]  So far the repairs under warranty include the following:  The front and rear tires have been replaced since the tread was defective on both.  The lower chrome cowl piece (under the headlight) that was installed by the factory was from a Tri-Glide causing air to enter the fairing and movement of the front end.  All the torque on the bolts for the shocks, swing arm etc. have been verified to specifications.  Front end has been check for the correct amount of fork oil and proper steering head adjustment.  The shocks are not holding air overnight and will be replaced under warranty.  The bike has been taken to another dealer since the first one has given up.  The factory has been notified and is involved.  The bike is causing my wife to have motion sickness, something she never gets.  Has anyone experienced this type of issue?  Could the style of wheels on the CVO Ultra be an issue?  Could changing out the Dunlaps help?  Does anyone have any other ideas?
 :nixweiss:  

Not to chime in after the fact but that is one of first things that I noticed (or should say didn't feel any longer) when I went to the CVO Road King following my accident. I thought for the longest time that it was perhaps my imagination but Landshark you have confirmed it was not. When I got on the SERK (with Agitator wheels) it handled and cornered at highway speeds like it was riding on rails (smooth and effortless). I would never dream of letting go of the handlebars on the SEUC at highway or any other speed because of the unstable feeling. Glad to read that you got it sorted out it terms of confirming what it was. Safe riding brother!

Soot  :2vrolijk_21:

Landshark

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 FLSTF-SE
    • CVO2: 2009 FXDF-SE
    • CVO3: 2006 FLHTCU-SE
« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2013, 12:29:29 AM »

Thank you to all who have replied to this post.  I am still dealing with the issue since it has taken a while to get new wheels.  I am leery of any HD part since they tend not to stand behind their product.  I ordered a new set of Performance Machine Paramount Wheels and they finally arrived today.  I am leaving for the HD 110th which will prevent the installation until the middle of September.  I have run out of time to deal with this issue until my return.  I am anxious to get these wheels and tires installed.  I will supply an update, feedback and pictures when I have finished.  Please continue to inform your dealer of any problems you encounter with the handling of your bike with Chisel wheels.

rkpultrase

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2013, 08:14:15 AM »

What I am about to say might hurt some feelings but depending how much weight is on the bike (riders and luggage) the front end will get very loose feeling. The more weight distributed towards the rear you will notice this feeling more often.

Sorry...just saying

Soot

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHRSE5- Road King in Crushed Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Typhoon (blew in and blew out)
« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2013, 10:11:31 AM »

What I am about to say might hurt some feelings but depending how much weight is on the bike (riders and luggage) the front end will get very loose feeling. The more weight distributed towards the rear you will notice this feeling more often.

Sorry...just saying

Don't be sorry that you implied that everyone that rides a SEUC is a Porker....lol, just kidding. At 210 lbs I wouldn't say that I was necessarily obese for this particular bike. Yet while riding at highway speeds with no passenger or luggage of any kind; the 2013 SEUC felt unpredictable. Very loose and felt as though you were hanging on and correcting for the twitchiness! Just saying!  ;)

Landshark

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 FLSTF-SE
    • CVO2: 2009 FXDF-SE
    • CVO3: 2006 FLHTCU-SE
« Reply #83 on: August 16, 2013, 10:58:37 AM »

That may be an issue with some when they load up their bikes with gear but that has not been the case with mine.  My wife and I both ride this bike solo and I weigh 180 and she weighs considerably less.  We have yet to ride this bike with any added gear.  This twitchy feeling has existed from the beginning and was only corrected when I put a stock Street Glide wheel in front.

CVO Jack

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2013, 09:03:31 AM »

Landshark,
I dumped my cvo wheels in Sturgis this year for PM wheels and what a huge difference ..... It's like a whole different machine. Install 21" front and 18" back with Metzlers.
I planned on install a PM 18" front because i was worried about losing a comfortable ride due to less rubber but after talking with the great guys at Performance Machine I decided to go with a 21".... My bike turns on a dime in small areas and at high speeds hugs the road with confidence.
I think PM will be at Hal's HD during the 110th.
I feel you will be very happy.
Jax
2013 FLHTCUS8
2009 SERG

hep0950

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #85 on: August 18, 2013, 01:47:48 PM »

I'm curious of why some are having problems with their chiseled wheels and others of us are not? Perhaps they got a bad batch of chiseled wheels. I don't doubt those who have the problem, nor do I doubt those who do not have the problem.

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2013, 01:26:25 PM »

I still have the same issue with my 2006 SEUC and am now wondering if it could be my wheel too? I just put on a new front OEM tire and it seemed a little better but I think it's in my head thinking I helped fix the problem.  As for the new statement of weight, my bike acts the same as when it loaded for a trip or stripped down as a SG.  It is more of a pronounced wobble at lower speeds and turns and much faster wobble at faster speeds.  I too would never be able to fully let go of the handle bars because there is way too much correction going on for me to be able to do so.  I discovered this after I rented a 2012 SG from Eagle Riders Las Vegas.  That bike was so smooth I couldn't believe the difference.

Any input on my 2006 Wheels would be very helpful.

Ps  Neck bearings, bearings and tire have all been checked by a dealer.

Rick
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

flyguy

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #87 on: August 26, 2013, 12:37:50 PM »

Do we all find it interesting that the 2014's now have larger neck bearings and larger fork tubes.....???? Just saying.....! We weren't crazy!!!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 01:35:06 PM by flyguy »

blacktop

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2013 - Anniversary #674
    • CVO3: 2021 CVO Limited Bronze
« Reply #88 on: August 26, 2013, 01:18:06 PM »

Do we all find it interesting the the 2014's now have larger neck bearings and larger fork tubes.....???? Just saying.....! We weren't crazy!!!

Just got back from a 3000 mile trip. I was up to 90 MPH several times and no issues with twitchyness on my 2013.

flyguy

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #89 on: August 26, 2013, 01:36:13 PM »

I don't have high speed problems either... all low speed issues
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 22 queries.